The Xbox 360 Thread!

Upcoming games and more Xbox 360 news from Barcelona

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158809.html?...aking_news;link

Doom for XBLA, with 4 player splitscreen and Xbox Live playability, comes out TONIGHT! :D Microsoft and ID did a good job keeping that one under the radar. Unfortunately, I am 10 points short of 800 points for my account so I will have to go get some more points this evening.

Rumors of a Halo RTS game are indeed true. Halo Wars is in the works. :)

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh along with Bungie will be working on a Halo title together. Though the main Halo story will end with number 3, the Halo franchise is far from over.

Edited by Apollo Leader

But, but... who plays DOA for game value?

Actually, the things that have drawn me to the DOA series (not counting the 'Xtreme' sub-series) has been the expansive backdrops (since DOA2) and the fighting mechanic. It's definitely different from the standard VirtuaFighter/StreetFighter/MortalKombat styles and I really dug the rock/paper/scissors style including the countering. It's easy enough for a button masher to pick up, but because of the counter system, even cheap-fast move spammers could be stopped in their tracks. But the countering was too easy and people would often spam THAT, so they made it more difficult and the balance has gone the other way.

Whether it be blurry-fast attacks in a melee fighter or putting the biggest, baddest battleship turret-sized guns on your lightweight giant robot, people are going to use whatever cheap thing they can to win... human nature....

...yeah, obviously I've been playing a bit too much Chromehounds recently too... :D

more news

HD DVD add on drive for the US is 199.00 mid-november

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158830.html

nice bonus

A movie-playing machine with no movies to play wouldn't make much sense, so Microsoft is also throwing in a copy of Peter Jackson's King Kong on HD-DVD, and an Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote as well. That's the film version of the giant ape's adventure and not the Ubisoft game adaptation--Microsoft has previously said the HD-DVD will be used only for movies

Edited by dejr8bud

Actually, the things that have drawn me to the DOA series (not counting the 'Xtreme' sub-series) has been the expansive backdrops (since DOA2) and the fighting mechanic. It's definitely different from the standard VirtuaFighter/StreetFighter/MortalKombat styles and I really dug the rock/paper/scissors style including the countering. It's easy enough for a button masher to pick up, but because of the counter system, even cheap-fast move spammers could be stopped in their tracks. But the countering was too easy and people would often spam THAT, so they made it more difficult and the balance has gone the other way.

You've just hit all the high-points that I use when pimping out the DOA series to newbies. However, it's just so much fun sometimes to mock the campiness of the series :)

more news

HD DVD add on drive for the US is 199.00 mid-november

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158830.html

nice bonus

dang.... guess its not gonna be $100 like some people were saying but either way I can't WAIT to get this thing and start watching movies in HD. so far the only thing that I get to see in HD on my plasma is Xbox360 games because I don't have an HD-DVD player yet and my balconeys not pointing in the right direction that the HD Satellites are in :angry::angry:

I'll tell you that REALLY pissed me off when the DirecTV guy told me that....

and my place isn't wired for cable either..... you can only put a DirecTV dish on your balconey or plug into the wall which is Dish Network... but not in HD yet.. :angry:

dang.... guess its not gonna be $100 like some people were saying but either way I can't WAIT to get this thing and start watching movies in HD. so far the only thing that I get to see in HD on my plasma is Xbox360 games because I don't have an HD-DVD player yet and my balconeys not pointing in the right direction that the HD Satellites are in :angry::angry:

I'll tell you that REALLY pissed me off when the DirecTV guy told me that....

and my place isn't wired for cable either..... you can only put a DirecTV dish on your balconey or plug into the wall which is Dish Network... but not in HD yet.. :angry:

There's no broadcast HD stations in your area?

Here are some pics of Blue Dragon. Not really a big fan of turn based Japanese RPGs anymore but it looks alright.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0609/game060926a.shtml

and Naruto for the 360

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0609/game060926e.shtml

And the Sonic demo has been released for the 360

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158911.html

Edited by dejr8bud

Hasn't Sylpheed always been a 3D shooter?

With 2D gameplay...the new one is like Wing Commander or Rogue Squadron, with you piloting the cockpit deals...at least that's what the videos looked like that I saw.

But, but... who plays DOA for game value?

All right, the "bounce" factor adds to it! :p But ever since DOA 2, I've liked the series in part because it pushes the machine it's on and shows some of what that system can do (Especially Dreamcast, Xbox, and 360.. can't comment on the PS2 DOA2 since I've never tried it), the game is easy to get into into, and as one of the guys on the last page pointed out it's got big expansive, interactive stages. Over all, its just fun.

Can't pay much attention to the bounciness of the game, especially with the new DOA4 and its high level of difficulty; only hardcore DOA'ers apply...

Quick question to all you knowledgeable HD types. Does 1080p output really make that much of a difference when it comes to gaming? I'm looking at getting a new plasma TV primarily for my 360 and i'm debating whether or not the extra expense for a 1080p set over a 1080i set is really worth it.

Quick question to all you knowledgeable HD types. Does 1080p output really make that much of a difference when it comes to gaming? I'm looking at getting a new plasma TV primarily for my 360 and i'm debating whether or not the extra expense for a 1080p set over a 1080i set is really worth it.

1080p is a noticeable difference over 720p and 1080i in console gaming and Blu-ray/HD DVD picture(If you can find an HD DVD player that outputs 1080p since the discs are 1080p but no current HD DVD player outputs 1080p, unlike Blu-ray which is 1080p across the board). It is worth the money IMO. Just make sure you get a set that actually accepts 1080p signals as opposed to the early ones that just displayed everything natively at 1080p.

As far as the 360 and 1080p...No games on the 360 use 1080p and the only way to get 1080p out of it is to use VGA since most sets won't take 1080p over component. Blame MS for no HDMI of which your new set will prob have a couple ports.

What sorts of specs should I look for to make certain?

What kind of set were you looking at?

These are some of the specs for a Sony Grand Wega LCOS Projection 50" :

picture settings memory for each video input

7 A/V inputs, including:

3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)

1 S-video

3 component video (2 rear, 1 front) — accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals

2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs (accepts signals up to 1080p)

PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)

Most of the newer 1080p sets will accept 1080p signals...some will not and just displays everything at 1080p which isn't the same thing. Ask to see 1080p sets, and then ask if that set will take a true 1080p signal over HDMI. Mind you, no HD programming comes in 1080p, the only thing that will currently show off 1080p are Blu-ray discs (Tears of the Sun is a great one for pic quality) over HDMI and upcoming PS3 and some 360 games (though I am not sure if the 360 games will be rendered at something else and upscaled to 1080p which isn't exactly what we're looking for). ALl in all, if you're in the market for a HDTV, you might as well go the full 1080p route and future proof your purchase.

Edited by Gaijin

The 360 currently will do either 720p or 1080i. The next update for the 360 this fall (updates for the dashboard, etc.) will give the system 1080p output. I think the majority of 360 games' native format is currently 720p.

In my own case, I still have my 25 inch Samsung from 1997 and I hope to eek out a few more years out if it! :p I have played my 360 on my brother's large wide screen TV which does support at least 720p and it definitely made the picture quality sharper.

I play my 360 output 1080i to my 60" SXRD and it is incredible.

One important considering for most devices that output 1080p is that they're not actually passing 1080p natively. Most simply have a de-interlacing chip that does it's mojo just before being output and there are some that upscale at that time. There are a few that pass 1080p natively, but far more rare.

My set does both upscaling and de-interlacing anyway and does so in ways I can adjust for the best content - I can select de-interlacing to be done as a bob, weave, or motion adaptive with inverse telecine, some of which are more appropriate for certain content than others (stills versus moving pictures versus 24 fps film-based content, for example).

I really don't expect native 1080p to be common for a few more years. Broadcast wise, cable/satellite providers are struggling to get out quality 1080i/720p. 1080p is drastically more bandwidth intensive so will not likely be broadcast for 15-20 years, if even then.

Plus for film-based content (read: DVD movies), 1080p24 (24 progressive frames per second of 1080 lines of vertical resolution) is indistinguishable from 1080i60 (60 frames per second of interlaced 1080 lines of vertical resolution), which is what most HDTV's up to this year were capable of.

The one arena where 1080p could make it's mark is games, of course, but expect to see most games in 720p60, though many 360 games are only displayed at 30fps...

1080p is a noticeable difference over 720p and 1080i in console gaming and Blu-ray/HD DVD picture(If you can find an HD DVD player that outputs 1080p since the discs are 1080p but no current HD DVD player outputs 1080p, unlike Blu-ray which is 1080p across the board). It is worth the money IMO. Just make sure you get a set that actually accepts 1080p signals as opposed to the early ones that just displayed everything natively at 1080p.

As far as the 360 and 1080p...No games on the 360 use 1080p and the only way to get 1080p out of it is to use VGA since most sets won't take 1080p over component. Blame MS for no HDMI of which your new set will prob have a couple ports.

Just to correct you here. You can do 1080p through component for games. Just not DVDs since they are Macro encoded. (hence why the upscan has to be HDMI or DVI/VGA)This was according to Microsoft.

Alright, so it wasn't always 3D then. But the first Sylpheed I can remember was 3D, ages ago. Then a remake came out of the same game for a newer console, but it was basically the same game just with texture maps. I remember that being a big deal.

There's a suprising lack of information of the series on the web, it seems. Even Wikipedia lacks any mention of Sylpheed the game series.

Alright, so it wasn't always 3D then. But the first Sylpheed I can remember was 3D, ages ago. Then a remake came out of the same game for a newer console, but it was basically the same game just with texture maps. I remember that being a big deal.

There's a suprising lack of information of the series on the web, it seems. Even Wikipedia lacks any mention of Sylpheed the game series.

No Silpheed was ever 3D...it only had 3D graphics...gameplay was always 2D. The PS2 version wasn't a "remake" even though they re-did the original Sega CD intro in CGI.

So just to double-check, the questions I should be asking are:

a) does this unit support 1080p naturally or does it require up-conversion to get that?

b) How many/what types of connections does it allow?

c) Does it come with a defibrulator of its own for when I see the final price?

As well, what's the number for figuring out the ideal distance from screen to viewer? I've found numbers on the internet calling for 2, 2.5, and 5 times the diagonal screen size in inches. Also, do HD TVs still come with those twist-on cable connections for regular SD cable TV? I've also read that newer plasma TVs have reduced the burn-in for static images greatly. Is this true, especially because this is destined to be a gaming TV more than anything else?

So just to double-check, the questions I should be asking are:

a) does this unit support 1080p naturally or does it require up-conversion to get that?

b) How many/what types of connections does it allow?

c) Does it come with a defibrulator of its own for when I see the final price?

As well, what's the number for figuring out the ideal distance from screen to viewer? I've found numbers on the internet calling for 2, 2.5, and 5 times the diagonal screen size in inches. Also, do HD TVs still come with those twist-on cable connections for regular SD cable TV? I've also read that newer plasma TVs have reduced the burn-in for static images greatly. Is this true, especially because this is destined to be a gaming TV more than anything else?

a: Yes, and no...upconversion is really a mis-term for a display that displays something at 1080p natively...totally different than what a true scaling chip will do to a signal.

b: If it has HDMI that accepts 1080p, you're set and "future proofed"

Generally, that number is ideal for screen to viewer...but take into account dimensions of teh room you'll have it in...a 50" deal will just look silly in a small room, even if ift's s full 12 feet away from the viewer.

Yes, they all still have an coaxial input for analog cable...though don't be surprised if the pic quality looks worse than a tube if you go that route.

Newer Plasmas do have reduced burn in but they are still over priced, use way more electricity, get much hotter, and still are recommended for "gaming".

It might be better to ask...what do you really want in an HDTV? A big screen? 1080p will do you no good if you hook up analog cable and a 360 to it.

It might be better to ask...what do you really want in an HDTV? A big screen? 1080p will do you no good if you hook up analog cable and a 360 to it.

The best way to phrase it would be to say that I'm looking to get an HD set that is acceptable for gaming for the moment, but that I can add Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and other high-def programming in the future.

Of all the displays on the showfloor, the Plasmas seem to be the best to my eye. I don't like the limited viewing angle of projection TVs and DLPs, and I think I can see the pixels on LCDs. To me, the plasma displays have the best colours and viewing angle.

The best way to phrase it would be to say that I'm looking to get an HD set that is acceptable for gaming for the moment, but that I can add Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and other high-def programming in the future.

Of all the displays on the showfloor, the Plasmas seem to be the best to my eye. I don't like the limited viewing angle of projection TVs and DLPs, and I think I can see the pixels on LCDs. To me, the plasma displays have the best colours and viewing angle.

There are a handful of plasmas that accept 1080p inputs, Panasonic and Pioneer are pretty much the best options when it comes to plasma. Good luck!

Eh, the way I see it the only real benefit to Plasma is the small footprint. It is more than offset by the crushed primaries, loud fan noise, huge power consumption and enormous cost for equivalent sized screens. Way too many of them are still 768P, too.

But maybe that's just me. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a Pioneer Elite 61" but I ain't gonna pay $10k for it when I got my SXRD for 40% of that.

Eh, the way I see it the only real benefit to Plasma is the small footprint. It is more than offset by the crushed primaries, loud fan noise, huge power consumption and enormous cost for equivalent sized screens.

Not to mention the very wide viewing angle. Every time I look at an LCD, the colours drop off when you're not looking at it more or less dead-on.

Not to mention the very wide viewing angle. Every time I look at an LCD, the colours drop off when you're not looking at it more or less dead-on.

Depends on the maker...most of the larger LCD's are actually really good in relation to that...and if you go projection, it really isn't much of an issue unless you're watching at a 90 degree angle.

Yes, they all still have an coaxial input for analog cable...though don't be surprised if the pic quality looks worse than a tube if you go that route.

What about SD channels that come in digitally from a sattalite dish/reciever? Are those still sub-tube in quality?

What about SD channels that come in digitally from a sattalite dish/reciever? Are those still sub-tube in quality?

Those will probably be even worse, since you 'll be able to see the artifacts from the overcompression in addition to the original low image quality.

And I have to point out that the best-looking HDTV to date was a tube set.

Tubes aren't inherently inferior. They're just easier to screw up.