Macross II

Oihan

I was watching Macross II again and started thinking about my favorite scenes of the movie; as well as ponder what the rest of MW's favorite scenes of the movie are.

I happen to have three favorite scenes as follows:

First favorite scene happens to be at 1:21:21 - 1:22:24 chapter 8. "Futari" kicks in and we see the softer side of Silvie as she talks to Hibiki. It gives me goose bumps every time I watch it.

Second favorite scene happens to be at 1:48:52 - 1:50:27 chapter 10. Ishtar sings 'the Song of the Alus', or "Anata o kanjite-iru - Mia Santi Ren", and we see Hibiki giving what's to be his last report, as he falls apart inside. Then the Macross discharges some energy and we eventually see Exxegran and Sylvie for a few seconds, then Isthar, then Ingus sensing(?) the 'Alus'. It gives me this sense of "this is humanity’s last hope†kind of feeling. This scene also gives me goose bumps.

Third favorite scene happens at 0:49:48 - 0:53:05 chapter 5. "Ark of Alus" starts playing in the background; Hibiki and Ishtar go to the Macross and Ishtar goes on to talk about her people and her beliefs.

Guess one could say it's the music that really does it for me in all three scenes.

What are your guys' favorite scenes from Macross II? Any else share the same favorite scenes as I?

i like all of the battles myself, sorry i am a special effects kind of guy :p seeing the Metal Siren in action is awesome, I have always wondered what a sqaudron of these could do.

chris

I like the part where we find out Wendy isn't wearing panties.

340596[/snapback]

Really?!  Wow how did I miss that?

Rob

340601[/snapback]

Slow step through the scene where they unveil the Metal Siren, specifically when Wendy is changing outfits.

I like the scene when Isthar is in the Macross and looks through the window and sees the city and she says "People use to live here I can still hear there songs" or something like that. When I see that scene I have flashbacks of the Macross TV series, very cool!!!

I really like the space combat scene in the first episode: this 'introduction' to the Marduk's power seriously calms down

Wendy's singing during the Moon Festival is great too: I love this song, probably because it allows Ishtar to understand what really is the love song and how much it is important for the earthlings

The last song by Ishtar onto the deck of the Alus during the final battle is also amongst my favorites scenes: her voice is awesome IMO

My favourite scene from all of Macross II is most certainly the scene where Sentao Kaishi plays.

Bridge Bunny, "Two Macross Cannons are in and three more are in route. Shall we wait?"

The Captain, setting down his tea and allowing himself a knowing smile, "Two will be more than enough."

I'm not a fan of the mecha designs in Macross II, or much of the OVA in general, however the Macross Cannons are definitely something I wouldn't mind seeing brought into the canon universe.

I so hate dubs of anime but my favorite scene in Macross II dub version is where the guy in Mash's salon walks up and says in the funniest voice "Mash Hibikis' on da phone". :lol: I use to just loop that part and bust up laughing.

I loved Macross II all the way till the last 30 min. Guess they ran out of ideas for the ending and just had the Mardook do the DYRL Zen revolt all over again. That totally screwed the ending and the floating head of the SDF1 didn't help either.

I think the mecha designs and the music was great, it was just the end had no payoff at all and that’s what killed it. It could have been great, it could have been a contender!!!!

Edited by SaveRobotech

I love the concert where the military are trying to show off thier powar!!1

And then they get attacked for real. I also liked the concerts music and the revealing of that valk. Reminds me of macross where they unveil the new fanjet plane thingy as if you can win one like a sportcar or something.

I also like the drunk guy. How he has a cynical attitude and forces hibiki; young and idealistic but naive about the real world, to see the horror of war and the insignificance of the human race compared to the aliens.

I always liked that about the original macross: that the humans always had the disadvantage because we were small and tiny compared to our enemies and there was virtualy no hope of defeating them without some unconventional technique. It's a modern retelling of ancient "David vs Goliath" giant killing.

One other thing was the heavy music used. (sounds kinda like heavy metal or something in the scene just after the concert)

I wouldn't mind if they made a mcross III to be honest. Who cares if it won't be original? It's an alternate universe anyway right?

The only thing is this wasn't as violent and bloody and graphic as DYRL, SDF:M, or macross Zero. I dunno why but I like me my nude shower/sex scenes and graphic deaths. It brings you closer to the battles like these were real people dying and you are right there experiencing it immersed in the victory and defeat rather than just seeing it from a distance as a lightshow.

Ishstar and all her female friends in thier skimpy outfits were all hot too. Not a single fat emulator to be seen. Those aliens must get distracted while fighting.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Destruction of the Macross.

A pretty horrible demise, both hammering home how credible the new threat was and a nasty shock when it looked like they might have been pulling the "Macross revives and saves the day" thing.

I still appreciate it a lot since it was actually very important story wise... better than the pointless and lame usage of the great ship in Plus, that's for sure.

Theres quite a few other things, but it's honestly been a while since I last watched it so I can't quite remember them all off the top of my head.

Edited by Panon

Silive's boob bounce on the Zentran ship and the slow camera over Isthar's body in the end :lol:

As for the Wendy scene someone sent me a pic of it once. I'm not seeing anything. Well I'm seeing something but it just looks a zipper or a seem. Wishfull thinking if you're seeing more.

Distruction of the Macross in the end.  I liked the concept of it being a mystical ship with super powers, (which was basically shown anyway in SW1).

340985[/snapback]

It wasn't shown to have any super powers beyond the barrier systems in Macross.

Just lots of nukes.

The concept of he victory being due to a special property of the ship was introduced in Robotech. And the commentary that introduced it yammered on about barrier inversions and missed the fact that the barrier was a human invention, not original equipment.

Distruction of the Macross in the end.  I liked the concept of it being a mystical ship with super powers, (which was basically shown anyway in SW1).

340985[/snapback]

It wasn't shown to have any super powers beyond the barrier systems in Macross.

Just lots of nukes.

The concept of he victory being due to a special property of the ship was introduced in Robotech. And the commentary that introduced it yammered on about barrier inversions and missed the fact that the barrier was a human invention, not original equipment.

340990[/snapback]

Yeah, well... I still liked it.

It's only the zentradi who treated the sdf1 as a "legend" because of the religious belief that the zentradi would be changed by the ship and were ordered to stay away from humans due to microns somehow being able to prophecitcally "destroy" the zentradi race somehow. (of course britai didn't believe the legend or heed the prophecy)

We humans knew better: that the zentradi merely lacked common sense of thier ancestor Protoculture before they created genetic engineered soldiers who treated war as the meaning of all existance. There was no magic involved.

In robotech they went to all this trouble of actually creating a real magic power out of it and having it so humans don't know any better either. Protoculture = magic battery. :D

It's only the zentradi who treated the sdf1 as a "legend" because of the religious belief that the zentradi would be changed by the ship and were ordered to stay away from humans due to microns somehow being able to prophecitcally "destroy" the zentradi race somehow. (of course britai didn't believe the legend or heed the prophecy)

There wasn't anything special about the ship in Macross.

Just the miclones on it.

And the nukes.

Remember, they came here to destroy it and its crew..

In robotech they went to all this trouble of actually creating a real magic power out of it and having it so humans don't know any better either. Protoculture = magic battery. :D

So was the magic bicycle protoculture-powered?

There was a lot to like about Macross II but just as much (if not more) to hate... like the poor dubbing. I really like all of the scenes with the Metal Siren. Anytime, i watch Macross II i just skip to the battle scenes with the VF-2SS and the Metal Sirens, because if you're watching the dub (which is a total waste of time) you can't get attached at all to the characters.

I think if SDF-1 wasn't destroyed in the end and the plot wasn't so thin, this series could've carried itself out to somewhere good. Also the fact that it was set so far into the future kinda takes away any credibility it would have if it was to be put into an official timeline. I love the mecha designs (the Marduk power suits were pretty vicious, though inconsistently animated) and even some of the characters were mildly entertaining at times.

There was a lot to like about Macross II but just as much (if not more) to hate... like the poor dubbing.  I really like all of the scenes with the Metal Siren.  Anytime, i watch Macross II i just skip to the battle scenes with the VF-2SS and the Metal Sirens, because if you're watching the dub (which is a total waste of time) you can't get attached at all to the characters. 

I think if SDF-1 wasn't destroyed in the end and the plot wasn't so thin, this series could've carried itself out to somewhere good.  Also the fact that it was set so far into the future kinda takes away any credibility it would have if it was to be put into an official timeline.  I love the mecha designs (the Marduk power suits were pretty vicious, though inconsistently animated) and even some of the characters were mildly entertaining at times.

341361[/snapback]

Welcome to Macross World!

Thank you! the funny thing is, that i've been a religous visitor to macross world for a couple years now maybe more, definitely before the forums were created. I just was never a big fan of contributing to the forums because i always feel like with the number of topics that are circulating, it's easy to get lost in the sea of discussions, and also there are a lot of members who like to be very narrow minded and rude. But the thing i've noticed about this site is how kind everyone is, so for the first time (ever) i've decided to actually be a part of a forum. I love Macross, and have followed it for quite awhile, (since i was about... 7? or 8?) since then i was infatuated with it all through high school, but then my interest took a halt when my girlfriend had a child in my junior year of high school, so i had to kind of pick it back up in the last few years and it's kind of been a mess since. I think right before i jumped off i was watching Macross Plus, and then next thing i know there was a whole bunch of stuff i missed. :lol: Hopefully, i can stay in the loop of things since my now fiance (same girl) and i are having our second child in April.

Thank you! the funny thing is, that i've been a religous visitor to macross world for a couple years now maybe more, definitely before the forums were created.  I just was never a big fan of contributing to the forums because i always feel like with the number of topics that are circulating, it's easy to get lost in the sea of discussions, and also there are a lot of members who like to be very narrow minded and rude.  But the thing i've noticed about this site is how kind everyone is, so for the first time (ever) i've decided to actually be a part of a forum.  I love Macross, and have followed it for quite awhile, (since i was about... 7? or 8?) since then i was infatuated with it all through high school, but then my interest took a halt when my girlfriend had a child in my junior year of high school, so i had to kind of pick it back up in the last few years and it's kind of been a mess since.  I think right before i jumped off i was watching Macross Plus, and then next thing i know there was a whole bunch of stuff i missed.  :lol:  Hopefully, i can stay in the loop of things since my now fiance (same girl) and i are having our second child in April.

341369[/snapback]

Good show man! MW was the only forum I ever wanted to be a part of for years, and still the only one that I am a member where I have actually made friends.

Thank you! the funny thing is, that i've been a religous visitor to macross world for a couple years now maybe more, definitely before the forums were created.  I just was never a big fan of contributing to the forums because i always feel like with the number of topics that are circulating, it's easy to get lost in the sea of discussions, and also there are a lot of members who like to be very narrow minded and rude.  But the thing i've noticed about this site is how kind everyone is, so for the first time (ever) i've decided to actually be a part of a forum.  I love Macross, and have followed it for quite awhile, (since i was about... 7? or 8?) since then i was infatuated with it all through high school, but then my interest took a halt when my girlfriend had a child in my junior year of high school, so i had to kind of pick it back up in the last few years and it's kind of been a mess since.  I think right before i jumped off i was watching Macross Plus, and then next thing i know there was a whole bunch of stuff i missed.  :lol:  Hopefully, i can stay in the loop of things since my now fiance (same girl) and i are having our second child in April.

341369[/snapback]

welcome again (car thread) and congrats on the kiddo's,

MacII isnt my fav either, but the VF2ss is a nice mecha design

341369[/snapback]

Good show man! MW was the only forum I ever wanted to be a part of for years, and still the only one that I am a member where I have actually made friends.

341371[/snapback]

I know what you mean, it's so much easier to make enemies than friends on forums :rolleyes: but so far it's been going good, already got myself into a friendly debate over suspensions w/pfunk :lol:

341369[/snapback]

welcome again (car thread) and congrats on the kiddo's,

MacII isnt my fav either, but the VF2ss is a nice mecha design

341372[/snapback]

I have always loved the mecha design for the vf-2ss, and i even got the bandai model, but after building the model, it just seemed way too small for me. I'm an excellent sculptor and have done tons of figure modeling projects, but recently i've been inspired to maybe start a macross related project, but i haven't a clue with which mech to start with, any ideas?

So was the magic bicycle protoculture-powered?

Maybe it was? :D Rick hunter taps into the protoculture God's energy and is able to fly around like the kid in ET. Certainly no more strange than Mac 7 song energy or whatever they use to defeat people.

Maybe Rick hunter was posessed by a race of aliens from another dimension (they do not exist physically on our plane but can appear to some people) and this is the real source of protoculture power? Taking certain drugs helps you to communicate with them because it opens up certain parts of the mind. Someday the humans will all open up thier third eye to become new gods able to control technology with thier minds. :D

Honestly as macross gets more and more magickal on us (macross zero's VF-0 mysteriously flying out of the sea like that) I'm willing to believe anything. :)

Urgh, now I'm wish they remade macross and scrapped everything in the timeline after macross plus. :( I just got this image of a Protoculture and Song energy-powered mecha that transforms into a super robot when the pilot has developed enough magick power and it is piloted by one of Basara's descendants who once again becomes the chosen one to save the universe from extinction using his magick energy and elite flying skill to school the world on the pointlessness of fighting.

Another thing to look for if you own the Macross Plus OVA DVD's Vol1. and 2: The picture printed on the disks is the YF-19 in an action pose, but the background is macross II. If you look carefully you can see the wing of a VF-2ss and the thrust from the rear.

340995[/snapback]

Yes, Macek's contribution to bastardizing anime!

The stupidest things about Robotech story are the Southern Cross chapter and how the Protoculture idea was violated. The story can be relatively viable without the Southern Cross series and the stupid Magic-Battery.

The Mospeada series worked since it was in a similar vein of the story of a Space Navy that Macross initiated.

They could still use the Macross "Protoculture" idea, just make the SDF 1 a container of ancient tech secrets from an uber race that the humans have yet to fully unlock...

Anyway. I agree the Magic Battery is one of my hugest pet peaves with the Robotech story...