DOOM: The Movie

Zor Primus

Well I am not a HUGE fan of the game, but know enough about it to probably catch a few familiar things in the movie. I know most video game to movie productions have been crap (Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat 2). The frag fest of Doom should be entertaining at least since I'll be seeing it for free tonight and will get to meet The Rock! I'll post a review/spoiler tonight or tomorrow morning, depending if I go to the after party ;)

post-2668-1129215684_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

Well I am not a HUGE fan of the game, but know enough about it to probably catch a few familiar things in the movie. I know most video game to movie productions have been crap (Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat 2). The frag fest of Doom should be entertaining at least since I'll be seeing it for free tonight and will get to meet The Rock! I'll post a review/spoiler tonight or tomorrow morning, depending if I go to the after party  ;)

336303[/snapback]

Wow, lucky you!

Too me the "they're not demon things" is not all that critical... I really like what I've seen in the trailers with a bunch of the film being in first person that alone should make it an interesting experience.

Street fighter was awesome!  Van Damme rules.

336328[/snapback]

Street Fighter could have been made better...I was disapointed with Blanka the most. Raul Julia did do a superb job as Bison. And the chick that played Kami was hot.

336328[/snapback]

Street Fighter could have been made better...I was disapointed with Blanka the most. Raul Julia did do a superb job as Bison. And the chick that played Kami was hot.

336335[/snapback]

I liked the chick who played Chun Li better. Ming Na is a babe. Then again, I've had yellow fever forever, even though I love all women. Damn girlfriend to burning hell for forcing me to see Joy Luck Club, but I got revenge because I slobbered over Ming Na.

336328[/snapback]

No offense A1 but the live action Street fight movie sucked like a vaccuum lack of fire ball action and sonic boom action, and Van Damme was WAY wrong for the part of Guile, the anime movie was way better.

336328[/snapback]

336335[/snapback]

I liked the chick who played Chun Li better. Ming Na is a babe. Then again, I've had yellow fever forever, even though I love all women. Damn girlfriend to burning hell for forcing me to see Joy Luck Club, but I got revenge because I slobbered over Ming Na.

336388[/snapback]

LOL!!!!! :lol:

Dont expect this movie to mentioned in any serious form during the Oscars. As expected its a frag fest live action representation of the game.

Story goes something like this, there is an archeological dig on Mars that has gone bad. The facility has been sealed and Rock's team of Marines is sent in to search/rescue/retrieve all survivors and data. However the scientists have already turned into those nasty looking creatures. We find out that the dig uncovered the remains of an ancient civilization that had succeeded in bio-engineering a 24th DNA Chromosone. Basically making you either super human or a super freak. Depending if you have a natural tendency to be good or psychotic. One of these beasts manages to make it back to the facility on Earth, frag fest continues. Rock becomes infected but turns into a freak while the hero of the movie, Reaper payed by Karl Urban (LOTR & Chronicles of Riddick) turns super human, queue up token final battle and the good guys win.

I enjoyed the homage to the game when they did a 5 minute sequance of Reaper running through the facility as if you were playing the game. The movie's hottie Reaper's sister Dr Grimm played by Rosamund Pike must have left her bra at home during shooting which was a good thing! :blink: The rest of the Marine team was your typical "Aliens Mix" of varied personalities, no one really stood out much. Kinda wished you'd had heard Hicks say "Game over man, Game over!"

Oh, and here's the best part! I was in the VIP theatre with The Rock, his family and friends, which included Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl Defensive Back Jason Taylor! After the movie I ended up standing next to The Rock as he was talking to some people. He looked at me and smiled and I shook his hand and told him great movie Rock awesome job to which he thanked me. Exiting the theatre in the little passage to the door Jason Taylor was there. Shook his hand and patted him on the arm telling him to give Tampa Bay hell this week and sack Brian Griese once for me. He laughed and said will do! Got my pics with both outside...here they are! Oh yeah, the guy in the green shirt sat next to us in the theatre, he's a manager for some reggaeton group :rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of reggaeton but he was cool!

post-2668-1129299761_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1129299739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

I saw a screening of it.

One word: SUCKS!!!!....except for the final boss fight.

336367[/snapback]

Your opinions don't matter. Stop polluting the threads and go back to beating your child.

Back to topic:

I am dreading to watch it because the track record of game to movie conversions are really not that good. The only movie based off a video game that I truly enjoyed was Resident Evil. To me, the storyline was realistic enough to satisfy fans of the RE series like me.

Since they are making HALO next. Any chance we see a Metal Gear movie?

336747[/snapback]

What, you want a 10-hour long movie with a bunch of talking heads and completely unecessary exposition?

336862[/snapback]

Wow, did you actually think DOOM was going to be totally from FPS POV the entire movie too with all dialog being mostly grunts, screaming, and sound effects? It's not like Hideo Kojima would end up being the director anyways.

Edited by Seven

The problem with video games being turned into movies is that they're already based on movies that were already made. Metal Gear = Die Hard, Tomb Raider = Indiana Jones and DOOM = Aliens. So unless they try to innovate the story and not just change it for infringement sake, its all stuff that we've seen before, except this time it's crappy.

The one franchise I was hoping to turn out as good original movies is the Final Fantasy series and they f'd that up twice already.

The problem with video games being turned into movies is that they're already based on movies that were already made.  Metal Gear = Die Hard, Tomb Raider = Indiana Jones and DOOM = Aliens. 

Except I'm pretty sure Metal Gear predates Die Hard, and Doom is about demons from Hell...

Also, everyone knows that Metroid = Aliens. Silly.

336940[/snapback]

How do you see that to be so? Let's analyze this:

Aliens:

-Space colony turns up missing

-Marines arrive only to discover that the whole colony (minus one little girl, for good story plot) has been kidnapped, cacooned and given birth to an army of alien warriors (subsequently killing them all). Response? Shoot against standing orders and run like hell.

-Most of the marines die off, leaving only a few people to "push it to the limit" to destroy the alien queen and her babies, saving the little girl (only to die at the beginning of the THIRD sequel)

Metroid:

-Lone bounty hunter drops onto a planet where a known group of "space pirates" happens to be hiding out

-Lone bounty hunter proceeds through a mind-numbing number of mazes and bosses only to learn of the existence of a species of alien that absorbs all of your life-force (I'm reaching for a term here.. bare with me). Response? Kill them ad-nauseum.

-Lone bounty hunter finally approaches and fights the (very stationary) gang-lord of the space pirates, "Mother Brain"

-Lone Bounty hunter, with no one else to worry about, makes a mad-dash for her ship so she can escape before the token all-important-to-a-good-sci-fi-plot massive explosion that is going to occur.

You see the problem? Not only is neither related, one spends the entire time RUNNING from the problem only to be forced to deal with it when there is no other choice, while the other goes out SEEKING the problem because she's a badass bounty hunter that is gonna open a keg-sized can of whoopass on a silly-as-fu(k looking giant brain.

Edited by Skull Leader

I think I read somewhere on ign that metroid was originally inspired by alien. Maybe just the look of it and the theme of the alien.

No different to how something like the metal gear character was inspired by the character in escape from new york. (snake plisskin)

Or how in a game like contra: if you look closely at the look of the two main soldiers they are Arnold Schwarzeneggar and Stallone look-a-likes. Little things like that.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

wait isnt there a massive explosion in aliens in the end and ripley makes a mad dash to escape it?

edit: ohoh ripley is used in both ;)

336991[/snapback]

Not really... at no point during the whole final scene does Ripley seem to be in much of a hurry (except to find the girl).

Where is Ripley in "Metroid"? There's a "Ridley", but I never much saw the connection.

I think I read somewhere on ign that metroid was originally inspired by alien. Maybe just the look of it and the theme of the alien.

No different to how something like the metal gear character was inspired by the character in escape from new york. (snake plisskin)

336985[/snapback]

The overall atmosphere, maybe... I could give it that, but otherwise I can't see any real connections.

Actually, if one looks at the cover of the original Metal Gear (both the MSX and NES/Famicom version), Snake very much looks like Michael Biehn ("Hicks") as he was seen in "Aliens". Meanwhile, in the second Metal Gear, the in-game picture of Snake in the radio screen looks very much like Rambo.

wait isnt there a massive explosion in aliens in the end and ripley makes a mad dash to escape it?

336991[/snapback]

Not really... at no point during the whole final scene does Ripley seem to be in much of a hurry (except to find the girl).

Where is Ripley in "Metroid"? There's a "Ridley", but I never much saw the connection.

336995[/snapback]

ripley in metroid was the flying dragonish alien that is suposed to be motherbrains. right hand alien... he apears in abunch of the games (original, super metroid, think both gba metroids)

336991[/snapback]

336995[/snapback]

ripley in metroid was the flying dragonish alien that is suposed to be motherbrains. right hand alien... he apears in abunch of the games (original, super metroid, think both gba metroids)

337016[/snapback]

Ridley.

And originally he was supposed to be a native inhabitant of Zebes, but under the control of the Mother Brain. I suppose that under the more fleshed-out modern story that would make him a traitor Chozo.

He was decidedly less dragonish on the NES, as well. But the Super Metroid forms have been back-ported to be the "original" looks of Kraid and Ridley as of Zero Mission.

Though Prime 1 made mention of cloning and extensive genetic engineering, and I generally attempt to ignore both GBA games as they have very little regard for continuity to start with.

Speaking of Prime... Ridley also appeared in Prime 1 as "Mecha-Ridley." Not clear if that's merely a robot based on the real thing or if it contains the neural patterns of the original as well(I believe the latter is the case).

And it wasn't REALLY Ridley in Fusion. They had his frozen carcass in storage, and an X parasite stole the DNA, so it was really just another X parasite.

How they got the carcass is one of the many continuity problems the GBA games introduce, since the entire planet was blown to smithereens.

I saw a screening of it.

One word: SUCKS!!!!....except for the final boss fight.

336367[/snapback]

Your opinions don't matter. Stop polluting the threads and go back to beating your child.

Back to topic:

I am dreading to watch it because the track record of game to movie conversions are really not that good. The only movie based off a video game that I truly enjoyed was Resident Evil. To me, the storyline was realistic enough to satisfy fans of the RE series like me.

336747[/snapback]

Due while I agree about the resident evil series.. i still think Mortal Kombat 1 was a great translation to film MK II not so much

Due while I agree about the resident evil series.. i still think Mortal Kombat 1 was a great translation to film MK II not so much

337172[/snapback]

Hear Hear! It could've been FAR worse (I remember the scene where sub-zero first faced off against that cannon-fodder ninja thinking "ok, he's gonna freeze him, that's fine... if he stays in mid-air, I'm leaving"... fortunately it didn't work out like that). That said, the ending blows dead bears.

Not bad for an action film, and the soundtrack really doesn't get much better. The second film left a great deal to be desired though, in virtually every respect.