Mechamaniac's Next Project

Mechamaniac

I scanned in a few pages of my Tenjin Valkyries book as they make perfect wallpapers for my new widescreen laptop. However I couldn't scan too many in without damaging the book.

Today, I decided to take the plunge. I took the book apart, and will be scanning in EVERY page.

Why?...well, because it makes cool ass wallpapers, and also, it's a nifty archiving project too.

I plan to scan in each page (or at least the pertinent image) from each page at 300 DPI - Should I go higher?

So, get ready for wallpaper heaven. :rolleyes:

you read my mind.. I was looking for new wallpapers last night! And that's the great thing about paying for the computer by myself. I can put what ever pic on the desktop I like and the wife can't complain. ;)

I was seriously debating the purchase of a second Tenjin book just so I could do this very thing. Problem is, I lack a scanner :(

However, I applaud your undertaking. I'm sure everyone here knows me well by now. I'm always screaming for good quality, hi-resolution scans for wallpaper. I've got hundreds of pictures and I can never find enough :)

So, now comes the big question...

I don't want to be accused of outright bootlegging this book. These scans are nice enough that you could pretty much print your own copy. So, my question is, how do I make this available?.

I have no problem with posting wallpapers that I've made etc, but I think the whole thing scanned should only be made available to those who already have the book.

It's gonna get out there. Once more than a few people have it, they'll share. I wouldn't do it but, as someone familiar with human nature, I know someone else will.

It is commendable, though. It's really nice of you to go through all of that trouble.

It's gonna get out there.  Once more than a few people have it, they'll share.  I wouldn't do it but, as someone familiar with human nature, I know someone else will.

It is commendable, though.  It's really nice of you to go through all of that trouble.

329816[/snapback]

Oh, I know, it will get out there one way or the other, I just don't want to be the guy who gets the "cease and desist" from BW. LOL, I guess actually it would be "ceasu and desistu!!"

Well, I hoard wallpapers, so I suppose eventually I will share some of the scanned pictures with whoever should ask. But quite frankly, I could scan a lot of them from the book myself, using the scanner at work. I'm just too lazy.

I prefer to avoid posting self-portraits of myself on the net, so I wouldn't really want to take a picture of myself with book in hand.

Personally, I think some of the pictures (say a half-dozen paintings) should be released for everyone. Afterall, this project shouldn't really cater just to those fans with large bank accounts...or at least those willing to waste all their funds on all things Macross :)

However, there may be a way to help screen those that want the entire book. There are many pages lacking page numbers with multiple pictures and many pages filled with text. Since none of these pages exist online as of yet, many can be used as test questions.

What is the third picture going clockwise on page _ ?

What is the third english character on page _ ?

What does the 5th symbol of line three on page _ look like?

Make sense? Could be a good way to help filter those who own versus those who don't.

Edited by Mr March

OK, I am ready to finally finish this up.

The only thing I have left to scan is the foldout on the inside front cover. Not quite sure how I'm going to pull that one off yet. I can scan both halves, then photochop them together, hopefully I will get clean enough scans to pull that off.

Suggestions?. Or, is there a photochop mastah here who can fix the crease in the middle if I scan the raws?.

Hey, MECHAMANIAC,

I understand your precautionary stance. I for one, would just really like to see the pics. Any chance I could see some low res versions, like 600 x whatever? I'd hate to be a booter but just wanna know and see Tenjins work, and possibly pick up the book later.

Possible?

:Dat

Thanks for all the effort in this. Reall cool.

Maybe for those who want some of them you could do a series of thumbnails and we could request individual walls from that, and those that have the whole book can send you a pic of them holding the book though pm and they can get the whole batch of files zipped over ftp privately.

Edited by Anubis

For my two cents I say don't do it Mech. I don't have the book and would love to see all the pics in it, but I work in a copy shop and the level of piracy this would involve doesn't sit well with me. Even in the U.S.A. BigWest can get you for a copyright violation. And your not quite anonymous here on this board.

I am also a little annoyed be the posts of people who assume your going to take up tons of your band with to put it up. They sound like a bunch of vultures!

ie:

Thanks for the effort and taking the time. Appreciated!

Yes scan please and share

300dpi is just fine

sharing is good.

Wow. Cool. Thank you sir.  That is very, very generous of you to do.

Where's the bowing smiley when you need it??

It's my dream come true. Can't wait!

Really all, how much is this book? Its not like we are talking about a gold book here, they are reasonably priced. They are available for sale through the net. Everyone go get your own.

For my two cents I say don't do it Mech. I don't have the book and would love to see all the pics in it, but I work in a copy shop and the level of piracy this would involve doesn't sit well with me. Even in the U.S.A.  BigWest can get you for a copyright violation. And your not quite anonymous here on this board.

too late afaik, already done :p

I am also a little annoyed be the posts of people who assume your going to take up tons of your band with to put it up. They sound like a bunch of vultures!

welcome to real life :) it all the same everywhere.

once I wanted to scan all my macross books (including the gold one), but because 2 thing I didn't:

1. ruining the books (I *know* they get damaged, tried it a few times)

2. lack of support, and shares (I could give it away for free, but need proof that I have another to get the scan.)

(3. still I did scan a few pages from the M2 book, because someone needed the vf2-ss lineart)

btw no.1 is the most important factor for me not scanning.

For my two cents I say don't do it Mech. I don't have the book and would love to see all the pics in it, but I work in a copy shop and the level of piracy this would involve doesn't sit well with me. Even in the U.S.A.  BigWest can get you for a copyright violation. And your not quite anonymous here on this board.

ie:

Really all, how much is this book? Its not like we are talking about a gold book here, they are reasonably priced. They are available for sale through the net. Everyone go get your own.

332443[/snapback]

Which is why my proposal makes sense. A half dozen wallpapers for those who don't own the book would be no more of a copyright violation than scanned sampler pages from a website like Amazon.com

Sampler Page for Star Wars ICS Book

The rest of the book could be made available to those that own it (such as myself) using a simple method of identification. A simple solution that keeps everyone happy.