Doom

well, this is another case in wich hollywood finds a franchise that caught it's attention and then they decide to make a movie while taking away everything that makes doom interesting.

by the way, do you think this movie could be as bad as ''house of the dead''?

I just had a ghastly thought...

Does anyone else think this script and movie treatment was floating around hollywood for years sitting on various people's desks before one studio exec finally said "hey... let's take this crappy script, give it a license we have been sitting on for years to get the name draw, give it a B actor for more name draw, pattern it after a recent movie that was almost the same as this... BOFFO!"

Stranger things have happened... like that Carrot Top movie.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long it will be before that guy dies?

315832[/snapback]

That guy looks like he's about to explode. :lol:

Guest Bromgrev
Anyone want to start taking bets on how long it will be before that guy dies?

315832[/snapback]

That guy looks like he's about to explode. :lol:

316478[/snapback]

Hey, that happened to me in DOOM one time when I fired the rocket launcher too close to a wall! The guy is perfect for the role! :lol:

HAHA, glad you guys like the idea... DT is right, though I am a sort of steriod supporter, that particular guy does not have his health in mind when he trains.

shotgun + chainsaw + NIN +growling + demons + it goes on...

i think one problem with modern sci-fi and horror movie makers is that they don't seem to care about the stuff they are makeing, its like they make it with the same half assed approach a frustraited parent has when apeasing they're bratty kid.

"this ought to keep them buisy for a little while" attitude.

I think Sean Connery has a great line about the current state of cinema in North America, movies that are just good enough to fill release dates and produce product for product's sake.

taken from IMDB:

Connery Says He Won't Work for Hollywood's "Idiots"

Sean Connery, who has not made a film in nearly three years, said over the weekend that he is not likely to make another one. In an interview in New Zealand, Connery remarked, "I'm fed up with the idiots ... the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who green-light the movies." The 74-year-old Connery, who remains Britain's highest-paid actor added: "It would almost need a Mafia-like offer I couldn't refuse to do another movie."

Edited by Mr March

That pretty much sums it all up. Hollywood's goal is to make innoffensive movies. Movies that aren't "good" per-se, but draw the biggest crowd. They might appeal to many, but aren't really great for anyone. Really good movies are likely to appeal to a smaller number of people, but appeal much more strongly, grok?

Hollywood isn't the only industry guilty of this. It's rare that you see a car design that stands out from the crowd for the same reason. Music. Architecture. Fashion. The less individuality there is, the more people there are who will buy it.

That's the theory at least.

I think Sean Connery has a great line about the current state of cinema in North America, movies that are just good enough to fill release dates and produce product for product's sake.

taken from IMDB:

Sean Connery, who has not made a film in nearly three years, said over the weekend that he is not likely to make another one. In an interview in New Zealand, Connery remarked, "I'm fed up with the idiots ... the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who green-light the movies." The 74-year-old Connery, who remains Britain's highest-paid actor added: "It would almost need a Mafia-like offer I couldn't refuse to do another movie."

316527[/snapback]

After the mess they made out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I don't blame him. Honestly, Finding Forrester was a better movie than that. Alan Moore's GN was great. The movie blew. Something tells me V for Vendetta is gonna suck too, even if Natalie Portman is in it. The guy supposedly got so fed up with his books being made into crappy movies, hes gonna stop working for DC.....

That pretty much sums it all up. Hollywood's goal is to make innoffensive movies. Movies that aren't "good" per-se, but draw the biggest crowd. They might appeal to many, but aren't really great for anyone. Really good movies are likely to appeal to a smaller number of people, but appeal much more strongly, grok?

Hollywood isn't the only industry guilty of this. It's rare that you see a car design that stands out from the crowd for the same reason. Music. Architecture. Fashion. The less individuality there is, the more people there are who will buy it.

That's the theory at least.

316647[/snapback]

Not all hope is lost. Remember that the bigger and more homogenized the mainstream of any industry becomes, so will demand for alternative product grow and the size of this market increases in turn. Independant films made great strides in the late 70's and throughout the 80's as a direct result of mundane mainstream fluff that polluted cinemas around the world, until in the 90's it made a breakthrough into mainstream and created a wealth of great film to enjoy.

So too is the music industry currently undergoing a shift as a result of overexposed mediocrity. The rise of hip hop and rap into the mainstream is a direct result of the consumer base looking for an alternative to the horrible state of modern pop rock. This too has influenced other areas of popular music, as rock and metal are currently going through a reniassance of sorts, with many bands returning to the roots of classic rock and succesfully innovating it with more minimalist approaches.

Back to Doom, I believe the film is a victim in this transition period. Like I said, it's another franchise with just enough stylistic seperation to differentiate it from a dozen other films all made in the same vein. But rather than weep for it, perhaps we should look toward and support more worthy product. the 2005 year has certainly seen the movie-going consumer talk with their dollar and I think studios have no choice but to notice. Let the public relations departments spew their crap and defend their mediocrity currently in release and claim they all know it isn't their bad films responsible for the major box office slump. The studios that survive will be the ones that clue into the demand for better product that the mainstream public has finally decided to choose.

taken from IMDB:

316527[/snapback]

After the mess they made out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I don't blame him. Honestly, Finding Forrester was a better movie than that. Alan Moore's GN was great. The movie blew. Something tells me V for Vendetta is gonna suck too, even if Natalie Portman is in it. The guy supposedly got so fed up with his books being made into crappy movies, hes gonna stop working for DC.....

316662[/snapback]

Don't want to derail this topic anymore than I have and I don't want to repeat what I've already posted elsewhere here on MacrossWorld, so I'll post a link to my thoughts on topics similar to your point here:

V for Vendetta thread

• 4 weeks later...
NEW TRAILER!!

Oh I am going to get good and loaded on my birthday and see this movie! Note the gratuitous use of first person in the trailer? Good god, I hope that's in the final movie.  :lol:

323058[/snapback]

:o DUDE!!!! That first person stuff is AWESOME!!!! I hope the entire movie is like that. I can't wait.

well, at least they worked a BFG-ish type gun into it...but dammit!  It ought to be plastering the walls with whatever it hits!  Oh yeah, this is gonna suck.  But the 1st person camera angle is pretty neat.  What the hell--keep it in the final cut, I say.

323073[/snapback]

At first I thought that maybe it was the plasma rifle. But if it was the plasma rifle, that thing should be pissing balls of plasma like a trucker emptying a full bladder!

I liked the first-person. The chainsaw put a big grin on my face, even though I thought the movie still looked pretty bad.

Agent One, you should write, direct, and star in Wolfenstein 3D, basing it off the original game! A non-stop kill fest in a brick maze. With lots of blood and non-stop action! :D I miss the days of rated R action movies that actually had blood. :(

well, at least they worked a BFG-ish type gun into it...but dammit!  It ought to be plastering the walls with whatever it hits!  Oh yeah, this is gonna suck.  But the 1st person camera angle is pretty neat.  What the hell--keep it in the final cut, I say.

323073[/snapback]

Agent One, you should write, direct, and star in Wolfenstein 3D, basing it off the original game! A non-stop kill fest in a brick maze. With lots of blood and non-stop action! :D I miss the days of rated R action movies that actually had blood. :(

323076[/snapback]

The light of CROM guides you, you inspire only awesomeness.

So all the Hell elements are missing, or at least there is no hint of it in the trailer, but it does take place on Mars, in a multi-level, claustrophobic environment, and something akin to the BFG is in it...and the chainsaw. :)

Although I have no illusions of this movie being anywhere near good, it does look like it could be an entertaining, brain dead, way to waste 90 min...can't be any worse than AVP...well, it could, but I choose to be a little optimistic. :p

Edited by mechaninac

The character perspective views could be good if used in a supportive context with a host of other camera techniques (I'm thinking minicams ala Ali here), but the trailer shows the gimmick used far to liberally. Seems kinda cheesy, thought the idea is innovative for an action flick.

Still doesn't look very good, but it's no doubt worth seeing in the right mood.

It looks like aliens mixed with resident evil done BADLY.

315126[/snapback]

It's that basiclly what Doom is anyway? An actual mix of Aliens and Resident Evil in terms of style and story, at least to a good degree?

Not sure what to make of the movie based on this trailer alone though. So going to hold my judgement until I've seen the film. I've never been a big fan of the games away. I just might go see this cause The Rock's in it. I happen to like him as a actor and he's still one of my all time favorite wrestlers even though he doesn't do it anymore.

Checking out the new trailer now though.

Edit:

Just finished watching the new trailer. I SO hope they are for real with this first persion view and not just teasing. That's seems like it's going to go a long way of drawing people into the film. If it goes over well I wonder how long we'll have to wait before it's copied a lot by other films. Gotta say my interest is really peaked now. Seems like they'll actually be able to make this pretty scary or at least shock the hell out of you a number of times.

Edited by Effect

The first person aspects in the trailer just shot up my interest level. That adds a definaite style factor to the movie. I hope that stuff ends up actually in there.