Doom

I can believe it, easily. Unfortunately. It looks terrible and generic, but the only way to do a decent DOOM movie would be to make it an action/horror movie, and horror movies of that sort simply are not in demand these days. What's more is that it seems they're definitely removing all references to Hell and demons, instead making the monsters out to be mutated genetic creations.

Luckily, ever since a DOOM movie was first proposed I've never had much hope for it being any good.

WOW!!! OMFG!! I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES!! IT LOOKS LIKE.........crap <_< is this supposed to be based on DOOM III or the original Doom. my god it looks low budget.

chris

It occurs to me that it's really kind of hilarous to consider how terrible this trailer is compared to the trailer for DOOM3 a year or so ago. Hilarious in a sad sort of way. I loved that trailer.

I this movie has as much in common with the Doom game series as the Resident Evil movies did... in other words they took a few of the names and the general idea of a handful of the locales and then just made up the rest. And by made up I mean filled with the the triumvarite of Hollywood script cliches: 1) find a mid A/B level star with name recognition that will draw in the stupid 2) pepper the cast with tons of character actors playing obvious stereotype action movie roles 3) steal the look, feel and probably most of the script from another movie... in this case Resident Evil, which stole heavily from other movies.

Then again as others have said: who are we to expect good things from Hollywood of 2005?

What did you all expect, the ROCK is in it. They are hoping in some way that him being in it will make people want to see it. They should shelf this one along with that early 90s fantastic 4 and wait for someone to do it right.

"Amazing things will happen here soon...

...Just you wait."

I just watched the DOOM3 trailer again, and I find it fascinating how much more cinematic that was over this movie trailer.

"Your death is coming...

...anticipation, after all, is everything."

Well, one thing's for sure; this certainly won't do much to bolster The Rock's already illustrious career. I kinda like The Rock though. It's a shame to see him--or his agent, rather--make such poor choices in the roles he takes. Damn shame to think too--if he gets credited as "The Rock," then won't Vince McMahon(?) get a cut of whatever he makes?

A lot of people probably ask: why does Hollywood persist in producing movies in a genre that's a proven LOSER in regards to quality/story/acting [i.e. movies based on video-games] over and over and over ad nauseum? I think one has to consider the shift in the primary audience that they're trying to market their product to; and that's adolescents and teens, around the 14-21 mark. Anybody pay attention to this summer's crop of movies, and how the vast majority of anticipated "big box office drawers" are rated PG-13? Including movies that are supposed to be horror or suspense [Dark Water, The Skeleton Key, etc. etc.]. Well, I say advertisers have been peddling adult themed stuff [be it fashion, sexual topics, etc] at a more youth oriented market for years; but they're trying to make it more "legitimate" and direct. I think we're seeing a shift in the marketing trend here. We're seeing less and less R rated films because the audience that'd traditionally be going to see that stuff--the 25-35+ set--seems to be migrating to alternatives for entertainment in increasing numbers. Why spend $20+ for tickets, even more outrageous prices for fuggin popcorn and sodas, face pretty good odds that you'll get stuck in a theater with some obnoxious, loud arsehole in back that won't shut the fu-- up, when instead they can just stay home with DirecTV, Tivo, or movies on demand? It's the teeny-boppers they're after, so why not make the product more tailored to them in the first place? Who's more likely to spring ticket money on seeing their favorite game hero on the big-screen without a second thought as to whether the story's going to be paper thin, the acting dry as dinosaur bones, and the cinemetography a vomitous splurge of colors and epileptic flashes on the screen?

Yeah, I heard they were replacing the whole "hell" thing with some alien super virus... To try and cash in on 28 Days Later, the new Dawn of the Dead, and Land of the Dead. Good times.

I'm still downloading the trailer though.. :blink:

Edited by Wesker99

Just to OT a minute since this is a movie thread and not to risk being yelled at for maknig ANOTHER Stealth thread..... where IS the official "Stealth" thread? I see alot of multiple Stealth threads which are locked. I just saw the movie tonight and it was popcorn fluff. Not too bad really if you just wanna see planes zipping by and blowing each other up. Macross fans would be happy to hear it isn't a blatant rip-off of Macross Plus. :lol:

I think its going to be good...

315181[/snapback]

Yeah, but you are also known to fornicate with doorknobs and are therefore, subject to question. :ph34r:

That said, I'm trying to approach this movie with an open mind. Seeing as how the doom videogame series has very little in the way of a plot: ok, wigged out marine goes to hell to blow sh1t up... beyond surviving, is there any real ulterior motive? Any plot or character development (beyond having a shotgun in level 1 vs. a BFG9000 in the later ones) Short of being an endless killfest (and we're talking a bodycount on the level of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" at the VERY least), there's no way this could float....and unless the new story was specifically made up by the game creators, trying to make a story that wasn't there before is generally a bad idea.

Here's to hoping I'll be proven wrong.

Just to OT a minute since this is a movie thread and not to risk being yelled at for maknig ANOTHER Stealth thread..... where IS the official "Stealth" thread? I see alot of multiple Stealth threads which are locked. I just saw the movie tonight and it was popcorn fluff. Not too bad really if you just wanna see planes zipping by and blowing each other up. Macross fans would be happy to hear it isn't a blatant rip-off of Macross Plus.  :lol:

315204[/snapback]

Everything I've read said the movie was flat out horrible. I've not seen even one slightly positive review about it.

I'd be the first to admit that plot is not Doom's strong point, but rather the look... the "feel" of it all. Doom is about hell bubbling up through a gateway on mars... the mars base is basically one big haunted house filled with demons and creepy stuff. This Doom movie is far too clean and orderly. I want to see a facility totally devistated... blood smears and trails everywhere... bodies strewn about... destruction and demonic symbols and items aplenty. Dark hallways with blinking lights... creepy noises and sounds... you know, stuff that makes you jump every time it happens.

What I'm seeing in this trailer are clean, almost brand new looking medical labs that are very well (and pleasantly) lit... Nothing even remotely creepy at all. That was the same downfall of the Resident Evil movie. They had original subject matter that was dark, spooky and scary and they made it into clean, anticeptic hallways and well lit spacious rooms.

I just saw the movie tonight and it was popcorn fluff. Not too bad really if you just wanna see planes zipping by and blowing each other up. Macross fans would be happy to hear it isn't a blatant rip-off of Macross Plus.  :lol:

I haven't seen it. Pr'ly wait until it hits the dollar movies.

But I'd be happier if it WAS a blatant MacPlus ripoff. Complete with CG'ed CG popstar.

Wow, this thread sure collected posts fast! Possibly my most successful ever, not that anyone's keeping track ;)

I must say that in all seriousness, this is Doom we're talking about. As one or two have mentioned already, there is far more worthy story material that could be made into better films. The Doom games were very weak on character, story, or plot. The draw was the action, the fact it was a new type of game (relatively), and it had atmosphere to burn.

This trailer indeed does nothing to convey the sense of darkness, claustrophobia, emptiness, and aftermath that made the Doom games so rich as a created world for instense player immersion. No surprise though, most of these new "concepts" for Hollywood films are just being used as means to push product for the ever hungry theatres. Comic books, computer games, foreign films...they are all just concepts that can be turned into dull, mediocre film to fill release dates each year. Not a bad idea if you're running a business, but as we all know 2005 has been the year the industry takes notice that the same old isn't going to cut it anymore.

Unlike doom the Silent Hill series will be written and overseen by the game designers from what i have heard. Plus there was another silent hillish movie out already, anyoe remember Phantoms? Fluff yes but it was watchable fluff.

Looks like it could be a decent popcorn movie.

Even if it's not, it's not like it will exactly dishonor the license, Doom is the most utterly plotless and generic story you could ever find. The last game wasn't even good.

if he gets credited as "The Rock," then won't Vince McMahon(?) get a cut of whatever he makes?

Nope. He was a smart guy and actually bought out the rights to the "The Rock" name off McMahon.

Unlike doom the Silent Hill series will be written and overseen by the game designers from what i have heard. Plus there was another silent hillish movie out already, anyoe remember Phantoms? Fluff yes but it was watchable fluff.

315349[/snapback]

I'm looking forward to the Silent Hill movie....or is it going to be a series as you say? Apparently the sets etc look JUST like silent hill. So this is gonna be good. Imagine the different perspectives on Silent Hill they can do using the same set based on different characters? Splash a little blood and gore for this version. Add some fogginess in another. The set can be recycled a few times for different character's perception of SH.

315349[/snapback]

Well that certainly sounds promising.

I saw the trailer and I rather liked it. I'll just pretend I'm watching another movie with the name doom instead of it having anything to do with the game.

It's what Resident Evil should have been. Look on the bright side.

At least Paul W S Anderson and that HOTD director had nothing to do with this one.