Future of Gundam

Magnus

With Seed Destiny wrapping up in 10 eps, what do you guys think the next major show will be like? Another setting in the Seed Universe? Another side story in the UC? Or something completely new and bizarre, as in G Gundam.

The term "Mobile Suit" had me thinking - a new twist on the Gundam series could have the MS's actually be person-sized suits, a la Iron Man. It'd definitely be different lol. Or do you guys think that sort of thing would be too much of a risk for Bandai to take?

Any other thoughts? I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of the Turn A universe....hmm.

With Seed Destiny wrapping up in 10 eps, what do you guys think the next major show will be like?  Another setting in the Seed Universe?  Another side story in the UC?  Or something completely new and bizarre, as in G Gundam.

The term "Mobile Suit" had me thinking - a new twist on the Gundam series could have the MS's actually be person-sized suits, a la Iron Man.  It'd definitely be different lol.  Or do you guys think that sort of thing would be too much of a risk for Bandai to take? 

Any other thoughts?  I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of the Turn A universe....hmm.

311824[/snapback]

Yum, Sentinel... beautiful mecha. One description of Sentinel was that the Mobile Suits were more like Space-Shuttles than Mecha. Love it!

As much as I'd like to see Sentinel or animated, the next thing will probably be in the SEED universe. Hopefully they animate Astray. Either way, I just hope they axe that can't-write-for-crap Fukuda.

Personaly I'd like to see something like 08th MS Team in the SEED timeline. Something following a squad of 105 Daggers.

Edited by Druna Skass

As much as I'd like to see Sentinel or animated, the next thing will probably be in the SEED universe. Hopefully they animate Astray. Either way, I just hope they axe that can't-write-for-crap Fukuda.

311847[/snapback]

I'm going to agree with this....even the last statement. :lol: Astray would be nice.

Although I have to say, I would rather prefer to see side-stories of the UC-era along the lines of 08th MS Team and MS IGLOO.

You know, follow a particular theater of operations or even a specific team. A series on the Black Tri-Stars would be an example.

But chances are, it'll be the 'usual' appeal-to-the-masses-so-it-can-be-marketed-up-the-whazoo story.

Hmmmph........the nerve of those businessmen!!! :blink:

Personally, I think any of the UC mangas that fill gaps between or after series should be animated, like Hathaway's Flash, F-90, and Crossbone Gundam. I'd also like to see them animate Gaia Gear, and official write G-Saviour out of the official UC canon.

That said, if SEED is like a shallower, flashier "remake" of the original Gundam, and Desinty is SEED's Zeta... then most likely they'll animate some sort of ZZ version of SEED, and follow it up with a Char's Counterattack version of SEED...

Personally, I think any of the UC mangas that fill gaps between or after series should be animated, like Hathaway's Flash, F-90, and Crossbone Gundam.  I'd also like to see them animate Gaia Gear, and official write G-Saviour out of the official UC canon.

That said, if SEED is like a shallower, flashier "remake" of the original Gundam, and Desinty is SEED's Zeta... then most likely they'll animate some sort of ZZ version of SEED, and follow it up with a Char's Counterattack version of SEED...

Well it would be great to animate Astray. But also I would also like to see a ZZ version in the Seed era. Something like Gundam Seed DD (Double Destiny) and obviously after that Athrun's Counter Attack. Hmm also maybe "Return of the Seed" hehe the whole Emporer/Vader opps I mean Chairman/Shin gave me that idea. Of course for that Shin would have to survive all those other possible series..... <_<

Heres to hoping they get rid of a certain member of their staff and write up a better story next time! :lol:

The next Gundam installment will be a "hillarious" romp through the SEED universe, called Gundam SEED: Double Destiny. aka, Gundam SEED DD (Double D). Some fans will shorten this to Gundam SEEDDD, while others will truncate it to a mere "DDD." THe show itself will feature an unprecedented 85 different Gundams, al of which will combine the names of the previous Gundams, such as "Strike Astray Freedom Rouge Gundam."

Rumor had it (this popped up at a Japanese convention, where someone asked a Bandai rep) that the next series would be something more for the older crowd (the UC kids). I forgot when this was asked (It may have referred to MS IGLOO) so who knows.

Found something along those lines over at Gunota HERE

Q - Future developments?

Sasaki - It is true that we currently have many projects, but I can't comment much about it. I can say one thing though. In the near future we should able to announce a series which fans who loved the UC will be happy about. Don't know how that series will turn out, but I want everyone to look forward to it.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".................

*EDIT* This question was posed after MS IGLOO was discussed. :D

Edited by GRAND CANNON

A little off topic here, but I keep hearing MS Igloo - what is that? There's no synopsis over on Mahq... Nevermind - I just wasn't looking in the right place...

Edited by fulcy

The future of Gundam should be death. It's outlived it's purpose.

311887[/snapback]

The death of Gundam will come, probadly, when the X-Gen/otaku people die 30-40 years later.

311889[/snapback]

That won't change anything, Gundam isn't aimed at the older/original fans anymore it's aimed at young kids. That's where the money is. The people who grew up watching the original series are in their mid-30's, and I doubt many of them care cartoons anymore.

311887[/snapback]

The death of Gundam will come, probadly, when the X-Gen/otaku people die 30-40 years later.

311889[/snapback]

That won't change anything, Gundam isn't aimed at the older/original fans anymore it's aimed at young kids. That's where the money is. The people who grew up watching the original series are in their mid-30's, and I doubt many of them care cartoons anymore.

311892[/snapback]

Well, that's not true in Japan.

A new UC based story would be nice to see.

As for SEED universe, another series wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm still enjoying Destiny quite a bit, and it looks like Zaft is going to take over this time. Next series can be the resistance against that.

I'm kind of against Astray being animated. Keep going with new material I say. The manga worked as it was and is a good supplement. There's plenty of stuff they could do in this universe to keep going.

Well, that's not true in Japan.

311897[/snapback]

You're right, the difference in the States is that no one buys Gundam stuff, regardless of age. :lol: In Japan, Gundam is viewed as a children's cartoon by regular people. My tutor laughed at me when I told her I built Gundam model kits. Not to mention, given the lack of success with Gundam in the United States and elsewhere, I doubt Sunrise is giving much thought to the international market as they're deciding what the next series will be.

Gundam, for better or for worse, will never die. We may never get another good UC story, sure... but when the SEED universe has outlived its financial usefulness, another "reinvention" will occur, a new Gundam alternate universe will be born, and legions of 12 year old fans who either haven't watched the originals are don't appreciate the originals because they're not fully of flashy new animation will post things like "New-character-X would totally PWN Amuro!" or "WTF?! Char is such a rip-off of New-character-Y."

:unsure:

Gundam, for better or for worse, will never die. We may never get another good UC story, sure... but when the SEED universe has outlived its financial usefulness, another "reinvention" will occur, a new Gundam alternate universe will be born, and legions of 12 year old fans who either haven't watched the originals are don't appreciate the originals because they're not fully of flashy new animation will post things like "New-character-X would totally PWN Amuro!" or "WTF?! Char is such a rip-off of New-character-Y."

311906[/snapback]

I just talked to my 15 and 12 year old cousins. It already happened.

311906[/snapback]

This don't appreciate the originals thing will only happen in US. In Japan, Amuro and Char are like national heros... :lol:

311906[/snapback]

This don't appreciate the originals thing will only happen in US. In Japan, Amuro and Char are like national heros... :lol:

311910[/snapback]

Somehow in a really lame sort of way the fact that they are national heros comforts me.

311906[/snapback]

311910[/snapback]

Somehow in a really lame sort of way the fact that they are national heros comforts me.

311911[/snapback]

Yeah. I mean, I guess that's better than Yoda or Chewie...

311906[/snapback]

311910[/snapback]

311911[/snapback]

Yeah. I mean, I guess that's better than Yoda or Chewie...

311944[/snapback]

Yeah...

:::cold wind blows:::

I'd like to see more of the Cosmic Era - there's lots out there behind the main scenes that they can look at, Astray among other things. It just needs a new writer, a new point of view and most of all, some planning and structure - SEED and Destiny both to varying degrees betray their "made up as they go" nature, and I think it really harmed Destiny... especially when we essentially got 20 episodes of the show in a holding pattern since they didn't have anywhere to go or anything of vital importance to do.

UC should stay in it's grave where it belongs.

More than likely they'll made another SEED sooner or later, becuase, as someone on the Gundam board put it "you could label dog crap with SEED, and it would be a best seller."

The next Gundam installment will be a "hillarious" romp through the SEED universe, called Gundam SEED: Double Destiny. aka, Gundam SEED DD (Double D). Some fans will shorten this to Gundam SEEDDD, while others will truncate it to a mere "DDD." THe show itself will feature an unprecedented 85 different Gundams, al of which will combine the names of the previous  Gundams, such as "Strike Astray Freedom Rouge Gundam."

311861[/snapback]

Of course Strike Astray Freedom Rouge Gundam, piloted by KIra, would now have the power to destroy entire solar systems. And Kira would still be doing non lethal shots. Infinite Strike Savior Aegis Justice would be piloted by Arthrun, and would, again, be destroyed.

Guess I should have put a spoiler warning there. Oh well.

Found something along those lines over at Gunota HERE
Q - Future developments?

Sasaki - It is true that we currently have many projects, but I can't comment much about it. I can say one thing though. In the near future we should able to announce a series which fans who loved the UC will be happy about. Don't know how that series will turn out, but I want everyone to look forward to it.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".................

*EDIT* This question was posed after MS IGLOO was discussed. :D

311868[/snapback]

I'm really looking froward to what this new series will be. I just hope they release more information on it soon.

Whoa....some people here would lynch u for that! Not me tho. Ive only seen Zeta so I dont know what Im missing...... :rolleyes:  Hehehe Im for more Cosmic Era  :)

You're missing a couple of quite good series/movies that are well worth watching.

I don't say it because the UC is bad, I say it because it's time has long, long passed.

More than likely they'll made another SEED sooner or later, becuase, as someone on the Gundam board put it "you could label dog crap with SEED, and it would be a best seller."

Much like the same way the "Universal Century" label is an instant fanboy magnet.

I'm really looking froward to what this new series will be. I just hope they release more information on it soon.

311979[/snapback]

I hope it's a story driven series, not a sell toy driven series. I don't care if it's in UC or CE or anything else. Although having good mech design will be nice too.

311979[/snapback]

I hope it's a story driven series, not a sell toy driven series. I don't care if it's in UC or CE or anything else. Although having good mech design will be nice too.

312004[/snapback]

I agree as well. A completely story driven show would be great. Especially if they don't have anyone related to Fukuda or SEED Destiny's team near it.

I'd like to see more of the Cosmic Era - there's lots out there behind the main scenes that they can look at, Astray among other things. It just needs a new writer, a new point of view and most of all, some planning and structure - SEED and Destiny both to varying degrees betray their "made up as they go" nature, and I think it really harmed Destiny... especially when we essentially got 20 episodes of the show in a holding pattern since they didn't have anywhere to go or anything of vital importance to do.

UC should stay in it's grave where it belongs.

311962[/snapback]

Oh, c'mon. Everyone knows the only GOOD Gundam universe is After Colony.

:p

As much as I'd like to see another UC series, it's going to take alot for it to actually be good. They change the continuity too much sometimes. Maybe an animated White Dingo series would work, since they were just grunts anyhow. I still haven't seen MS Igloo, which I hear is pretty good. The main reason I don't necessarily need another UC series is that now they're so far in the future that they're practically AU series. At least in F91 (haven't seen V) there were very few vestiges of the old UC, at least vestiges that don't also exist in AU timelines. There's also a part of me that wants to see The Origin manga or Char's Deleted Afair animated, but I'm a sucker for First Gundam ...