1/48 Yamatos

reddsun1

Checked out a site that normally carries Yamato's 1/48s and noticed they have 1J Hikaru, now going for $169; and the 1J Millia Super for $205. :o Dang, prices are on the rise! Then went to trusty ol' Valkyrie-Exchange, and they have the 1J Millia Super too; for only $20 more than the others' Hikaru!

I love the 1/48s (misproportioned cockpit and all) and hope to eventually get more to go with my 1S Roy. But does anyone else find themselves thinking: eventually, there's going to come a time when we look back and wonder "$200 for a toy? WTF was I thinking?"

Oops, I see this probably could've gone in Luclin999's post thread....

Edited by reddsun1

reddsun1 Posted on Jun 3 2005, 01:34 PM

But does anyone else find themselves thinking: eventually, there's going to come a time when we look back and wonder "$200 for a toy? WTF was I thinking?"

Not if you're a big fan of MACROSS, you won't ;):D !!!

I love the 1/48s (misproportioned cockpit and all) and hope to eventually get more to go with my 1S Roy. But does anyone else find themselves thinking: eventually, there's going to come a time when we look back and wonder "$200 for a toy? WTF was I thinking?"

maybe.. but we probably won't feel anywhere near as bad as the guys that paid over a grand...

I love the 1/48s (misproportioned cockpit and all) and hope to eventually get more to go with my 1S Roy.  But does anyone else find themselves thinking: eventually, there's going to come a time when we look back and wonder "$200 for a toy?  WTF was I thinking?"

maybe.. but we probably won't feel anywhere near as bad as the guys that paid over a grand...

Yeah - I think I'll be ok knowing that I never forked out a thousand bucks for a vintage elint or super o or something like that. I'm not saying they're not worth that amount, I just know that I could never spend that much (and hope to face my wife)! ;)

Yeah - I think I'll be ok knowing that I never forked out a thousand bucks for a vintage elint or super o or something like that. I'm not saying they're not worth that amount, I just know that I could never spend that much (and hope to face my wife)! ;)

Hey, something's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it.

Good question to ask yourself is "Why do I feel I need to spend a months rent on a very old and kinda crappy toy" (which any old-school 1/55 is compared to a brand new 1/48th)

Is it cause they're unique? I dunno. I really need to get around to starting a "Why do we collect?" thread.

It IS kinda silly that they've raised the price (I don't wanna hear that value of the dollar crap) for the upcoming CF 1/48's.

I remember back in the days (in my best grizzly old man voice) when you could find a 1/48 for a little under $100. Now those days are long gone. <_<

I thought it was because they were a limited edition (not because the cost to make it went up) and the people selling them want to attract the hardcore collector who is willing to pay the price for LE?

Less made of a thing = the more the seller can demand high price since it will attract those who are most rich/desperate/fanboyish? :D

The idea being that once 1/48s become harder to find and yamato stops making new macross stuff they may even go for higher? (people keep saying how macross is dying and how yamato is a small company and all, not able to fullfil fan wishes.. What if the toy is never reissued ever again and there is no mass produced CF?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I thought it was because they were a limited edition (not because the cost to make it went up) and the people selling them want to attract the hardcore collector who is willing to pay the price for LE?

Less made of a thing = the more the seller can demand high price since it will attract those who are most rich/desperate/fanboyish? :D

The idea being that once 1/48s become harder to find and yamato stops making new macross stuff they may even go for higher? (people keep saying how macross is dying and how yamato is a small company and all, not able to fullfil fan wishes.. What if the toy is never reissued ever again and there is no mass produced CF?)

That LE CF has yet to be substantiated.

Yeah, the desire to get more "before they're all gone" wouldn't be so torturous if not for the bit of news my wife gave me the other night. My 3 yr old asked if she could play with my 1S Roy, to which I replied "no dear, you can't play with that 'cause it's very expensive. In fact, your mom would get mad if she knew how much I paid for it..." To this, she casually replies that she saw another one just like it while shopping the other day, about an hrs drive away. Of course, surprised, I try to clarify. "Are you sure it was like this one?" She tells me it was in a box just like my Yamato's, but coyly won't divulge just which store she saw it in. Just to add to the tantalization more, when I ask what color the writing on the box was, she'll only say that it maybe was red--or maybe yellow, she can't remember.

By now I'm thinking *best supervillian voice* "Woman, if you won't give me the information I seek, I shall take it by force!" :p

Yeah, the desire to get more "before they're all gone" wouldn't be so torturous if not for the bit of news my wife gave me the other night.  My 3 yr old asked if she could play with my 1S Roy, to which I replied "no dear, you can't play with that 'cause it's very expensive.  In fact, your mom would get mad if she knew how much I paid for it..."  To this, she casually replies that she saw another one just like it while shopping the other day, about an hrs drive away.  Of course, surprised, I try to clarify.  "Are you sure it was like this one?"  She tells me it was in a box just like my Yamato's, but coyly won't divulge just which store she saw it in.  Just to add to the tantalization more, when I ask what color the writing on the box was, she'll only say that it maybe was red--or maybe yellow, she can't remember. 

By now I'm thinking *best supervillian voice*  "Woman, if you won't give me the information I seek, I shall take it by force!"  :p

This sounds like one of those stories that begins with "You know you are a valkoholic when..."

Edited by Roy's Blues

prices are on the rise...but that's because those who had stock and had price way up there, didn't sell as many as those who kept them at market value and moved them a long. now they're the only ones with stock and can set the price at whatever they want...I'm really curiouis to know how many they sell per month tho...

The way I see it is if they are going to jack the price up... I'm not going to buy! I love my 1/48s as much as everyone else but, no way. I am not going spend $225 for a CF with Fast Packs. I'll stick to my Gundam kits which are 800 time more detailed then the Yamatos. I also know that everyone can't do models. I'm just talking about what I like, verses money.

Its all in the law of supply and demand. More supply, the less demand. Less supply, the more demand. And of course you have peeps who are more than willing to pay whatever the cost. Just depends how much it worth to the individual.

Yeah - I think I'll be ok knowing that I never forked out a thousand bucks for a vintage elint or super o or something like that.  I'm not saying they're not worth that amount, I just know that I could never spend that much (and hope to face my wife)!  ;)

Hey, something's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it.

Good question to ask yourself is "Why do I feel I need to spend a months rent on a very old and kinda crappy toy" (which any old-school 1/55 is compared to a brand new 1/48th)

Is it cause they're unique? I dunno. I really need to get around to starting a "Why do we collect?" thread.

Thats sort of what I was going towards with my transitions in collecting thread. I find it neat to look at all of the factors that influence us to purchase certain items for what ever prices at certain times.

Heh, I remember getting my Low Viz from HLJ for probably 130... and maybe 30 more for the fast packs?

Ah the days before the dollar started falling. Don't worry it'll come back around, it always does.

Yeah, I just spotted a 'Low Vis for about $380 on the 'Bay....

To think that I felt ripped off when I bought that thing for $170..

The reason why the prices are so high is because people are willing to pay these prices. These are sold as "collector" items, this way the high prices are justifiable. Honestly...there is no reason why they can't sell these for under 100 bucks. The raw material must cost only a few cents. I know there are other costs involved, but come on...

I paid 130 for my Hikaru 1S and 115 for my Max...I thought that was rediculous. <_<

If people stopped buying...I bet the prices would come down real fast. :rolleyes:

Edited by VF Strike Valk

Man, I'm so happy I recovered my very first 1/48 Hikaru 1A about 2 months ago. I exchanged it for the Miria Qrau when I was broke, and then had to buy it back. Thanks Soze, I really missed it, and the price was incredible.

The Max 1A and the Cf are the only ones I don't have yet (1/48). I've not seen a 1A Max for sale in a long time. I wouldn't mind having 3 cf's flying in formation with the Max 1A.

So that's 450.00 for 3 CFs Don't you guy like it when you have a Hi rank Stormtrooper sorrounded by at least 3 normal Stormtroopers?

I love collecting, I'm addicted to collecting. If prices were a bit less, I would be buying so much more. This sucks!

Yeap, I'm all mixed up :D

Vic!

Edited by vlenhoff

Yeah, I just spotted a 'Low Vis for about $380 on the 'Bay....

To think that I felt ripped off when I bought that thing for $170..

Welcome to economics 101. Law of supply and demand.

Economics 101? I teach undergraduate courses in Economics-keep in mind that I'm the freak that spent THOUSANDS in acquiring Strike Valkyries in the late 90's...

Just curious, does anyone here feel torn between selling their LV out of concern they’ll be reissued and likewise with some of the other 1/48s? And no I am not soliciting, so retract the claws. Thanks. :D

Not I; selling a 'Low Vis in my opinion would be foolish. I was lucky to find the one that I have, and I'm not going to take the risk of losing it just to buy.....whatever. I will bet on (insert Macross World member with big valkyrie collection)'s collection that Yamato will not reissue anything from their Macross line.

-That '48 CF has to make you wonder though....

Just curious, does anyone here feel torn between selling their LV out of concern they’ll be reissued and likewise with some of the other 1/48s? And no I am not soliciting, so retract the claws. Thanks.  :D

Not I; selling a 'Low Vis in my opinion would be foolish. I was lucky to find the one that I have, and I'm not going to take the risk of losing it just to buy.....whatever. I will bet on (insert Macross World member with big valkyrie collection)'s collection that Yamato will not reissue anything from their Macross line.

-That '48 CF has to make you wonder though....

Huh? They's reissued the Roy 1/48 2 times, the Hilkaru VF-1A got a reissue, and just last week or so they reissued the VF-11b Fastpack, the Ostrich and the Elint. So the Macross line has been reissued plenty.

Indeed! That is what is making me wondering whether or not Yamato really would reissue the LV or the Super 1Js. Obviously they are a business trying to make money, I wouldn't be surprised if they did reissue most of them sooner or later and w/the LV slight modifications. But honestly who knows, what is going on inside Yamato HQ? :p:ph34r: