1/1 scale Yamato...for real

peter

I'm in Japan right now and I was flipping through the latest issue of Model Graphix and there's a tiny article of this monster. The article is mostly about the 1/10 scale model in Kure shipyards, but there's also this color pictre of this 1/1 scale Yamato at some shipyard! In-farting-credible! Im looking all over the the place though and I can't seem to find any pics or articles online....I've even got my girlfriend looking on the Japanese sites and can't seem to find any evidence of it.....can anyone here help?

Yeah, that's definitely a recolored period pic. Too bad it's shot from aft as well.

Here's the pic, for the error 403 challenged...

Yamatobackbig.jpg

The original pic can be seen here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Yamato

As to the real Yamato, here are some interesting pics of the wreck etc...

http://www.warship.get.net.pl/Japonia/Batt...o_wreck_01.html

http://www.warship.get.net.pl/Japonia/Batt...o_wreck_02.html

Edited by Mechamaniac

Its a shame for shuch beautiful works of machine work to end up that way. Even though ships like her and the Bismark were built for war they are the best examples of the skills of the people who built them.

I've always wondered...who would win if you pit Yamato vs Bismarck?

You'd get two ships that would pummel the hell out of each other, until crippled by passing torpedo bombers. Then they would continue to pound on each other until they both sunk :lol:

Edited by Mechamaniac

I knew if I did a search something'd turn up; here's a link to some pics of the 1/10 scale model. This thing kicks a$$.

http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?It_c=10044130

I wonder, is it lighted? I guess it'd be too much to ask if someone rigged muzzle flashes, turning turrets, etc. I'm sure this is static display only?

1/1 scale recreation? A nice dream, but I seriously doubt it. That'd literally take the resources/captial of a not-so-small nation, wouldn't it? Okay, a small nation if wood & other [comparatively] cheap materials were used? And to think; an even bigger class of b'ship was on the drawing boards for the IJN, with 20" guns! :blink:

Edited by reddsun1

That model is freaking sweet!. That's over 80 feet long. I wonder where it calls home?. I would totally make that a stop on any trip I was taking to Japan.

Too bad they didn't do a 1/10 scale version of the SPACE Battleship Yamato, that would be kewwwwllll. B))

Bismarck is not in the league of Yamato. Yamato displaces nearly 30-40% more.

Bismarck was not the super-battleship Discovery Channel and most other sources of info make him out to be. A South Dakota class BB could theoretically thump Bismarck. To be fair to the Germans, they had to make up for that 2 decade lull period after WW2, so they had a tall order to fill.

Even Yamato with that huge armour plating and honking big rifles had weaknesses like lack of radar fire control and proper protection for the secondary batteries and AA turrets.

IMHO, the pecking order of WW2 Dreadnaught classes is like

1. Iowa/Yamato

2. South Dakota

3. North Carolina

4. Bismarck/King George V

5. All the WW1 leftovers, although the rebuilt USN BBs with Radar Fire Control could theoretically take out even the Yamato in bad visual conditions.

The fire control is pretty important, big rifles can't do squat if they can't hit.

Thats why I think the planned 'Super-Yamato' class would suck. Having 6 x 20 inch rifles wouldn't be a good trade for 9 x 18 inches. Its not like you are gonna fire at immobile armoured fortresses. A high rate of fire with more hits is a better bet since the 18 inch shell is enough to give any other BB a bad day when it hits.

Bismarck was not the super-battleship Discovery Channel and most other sources of info make him out to be. A South Dakota class BB could theoretically thump Bismarck. To be fair to the Germans, they had to make up for that 2 decade lull period after WW2, so they had a tall order to fill.

Sure you mean prior to WW2, or after WW1 =)

If Jutland was any indication, battlewagons slugging it out won't be that effective... then again, back then they didn't have radar fire control systems... would be interesting to see how an Iowa dishes out damage on a moving target that actually fires back. IMHO, BBs are remarkablly 2 dimensional weapons, since well-placed hits from either a submarine (mm... a Type II mag pistol, one meter below the keel... heh, sorry flashbacks to Silent Hunter III) or an aircraft could be enough to seriously cripple or sink one.

Anyways, back on topic, I picked up that copy of Model Graphix on my way to the airport so here's a pic of the article....can anyone translate?

post-26-1117571683_thumb.jpg

Bismarck is not in the league of Yamato. Yamato displaces nearly 30-40% more.

Even Yamato with that huge armour plating and honking big rifles had weaknesses like lack of radar fire control and proper protection for the secondary batteries and AA turrets.

IMHO, the pecking order of WW2 Dreadnaught classes is like

1. Iowa/Yamato

2. South Dakota

3. North Carolina

4. Bismarck/King George V

5. All the WW1 leftovers, although the rebuilt USN BBs with Radar Fire Control could theoretically take out even the Yamato in bad visual conditions.

The fire control is pretty important, big rifles can't do squat if they can't hit.

Thats why I think the planned 'Super-Yamato' class would suck. Having 6 x 20 inch rifles wouldn't be a good trade for 9 x 18 inches. Its not like you are gonna fire at immobile armoured fortresses. A high rate of fire with more hits is a better bet since the 18 inch shell is enough to give any other BB a bad day when it hits.

Retracting Head Ter Ter is correct. The Bismarck would be pounced on by the Yamato. Bismarck has 15" cannons. It had 3 (or 4 turrets) with 2x 15" cannon. Yamato had 3 turrets with 3x 18" cannons. The Bismarck was the terror of the Atlantic. Sure it took out British Battleships and destroyers in one shot but it was nothing compared to the Yamato class. According to one of the websites, it took over 20 bombs and torpedoes to sink the Yamato and that was with upgrades air defenses. The Bismarck was sunk by bi-planes of WW1 whereas the Yamato was sunk by advanced designed US Naval aircraft in the late days of WW2.

The Montana class was suppose to be in the same league with the Yamato. It sported 12x 50 cal 16" cannons on 4 turrets. Now I agree that with good fire control, the Montana could thump the Yamato and hard in the first salvo. Their armor was spec to survive 18" shells or was it? Too bad they were scrapped before they were even completed. Could the Iowa class survive a salvo from the Yamato?

you know that 1/10 yamato would be wicked to drive on a lake. thing is big enough to sleep in and long enough to anything you desire. Police in the police boats woud freak if they saw that floating infront of them then the turrets start moving.

Edited by Zentrandude

The Bismarck was sunk by bi-planes of WW1 whereas the Yamato was sunk by advanced designed US Naval aircraft in the late days of WW2.

Just to note:

The Bismarck wasn't sunk by aricraft. It was sunk by naval gunfire. The aircraft only disabled its steering (which is obviously important, but not quite the same as sinking it).

And those aircraft weren't WWI, they were interwar designed Swordfishes. Just because it is a biplane doesn't mean it is WWI. The Swordfish is much better than any WWI bomber.

No, The only 1/1 scale Yamato model is lying in 300 meters of water in the East China Sea. It's in two pieces, so some assembly is required... :lol:

On a related note, it always amazes me to see battleship wrecks where the turrets have just fallen out as the ship flips on the way down. It still seems odd that the turrets are literally just dropped into place, and held there solely by their own sheer bulk.

Edited by Mechamaniac

No, The only 1/1 scale Yamato model is lying in 300 meters of water in the East China Sea. It's in two pieces, so some assembly is required... :lol:

On a related note, it always amazes me to see battleship wrecks where the turrets have just fallen out as the ship flips on the way down. It still seems odd that the turrets are literally just dropped into place, and held there solely by their own sheer bulk.

man that is not right.

I heard its more stable to have it freefloat on the barbette (I think this or rollerpath) and also reduces the horizontal stress when firing the guns

So was it a hoax? Was it photoshopped? What's with the picture? Can you read the text? What's it say?

The Bismarck was sunk by bi-planes of WW1 whereas the Yamato was sunk by advanced designed US Naval aircraft in the late days of WW2.

Just to note:

The Bismarck wasn't sunk by aricraft. It was sunk by naval gunfire. The aircraft only disabled its steering (which is obviously important, but not quite the same as sinking it).

And those aircraft weren't WWI, they were interwar designed Swordfishes. Just because it is a biplane doesn't mean it is WWI. The Swordfish is much better than any WWI bomber.

Oh yeah. my bad. The rudder was stuck because of the torpedo. I thought the swordfishes was used in WW1... hmmm maybe a WW1 design then.

Just to note:

Oh yeah. my bad. The rudder was stuck because of the torpedo. I thought the swordfishes was used in WW1... hmmm maybe a WW1 design then.

I thought it was torpedos off destroyers that sunk her finaly.

Hmmn. My current vote is that is a 1/1 model of part of the Yamato. Reasoning:

1. It appears to have been built "out of order". Some sections are far ahead of the others, regarding how real ships are built. It'd be like if a 747 had the front half done and painted, but the back half still raw frames and stringers.

2. It doesn't appear to be in the water nor a dry dock, there's concrete within 1 inch of the outer hull.

3. Where's the back half of the ship?

4. Where's the massive tarps and scaffolding? All the ship-building equipment for that matter. 100-ton cranes, etc.

My guess is there's a movie to be filmed, or something, and they need that part of the Yamato in 1/1.

Yamato probably would...it was MUCH bigger than the Bismarck (you have to remember...the Bismarck and other German battlewagons was built by packing as many guns on the smallest frame possible, so that the Germans could get around the Versailles limitations) and it was said that when the Yamato made its kamakaze run in April 1945, there were a total of six IOWA-class battleships ready to blast the Yamato if the air attack hadn't done the job.

Edited by Pat Payne

Hmmn. My current vote is that is a 1/1 model of part of the Yamato. Reasoning:

1. It appears to have been built "out of order". Some sections are far ahead of the others, regarding how real ships are built. It'd be like if a 747 had the front half done and painted, but the back half still raw frames and stringers.

2. It doesn't appear to be in the water nor a dry dock, there's concrete within 1 inch of the outer hull.

3. Where's the back half of the ship?

4. Where's the massive tarps and scaffolding? All the ship-building equipment for that matter. 100-ton cranes, etc.

My guess is there's a movie to be filmed, or something, and they need that part of the Yamato in 1/1.

Like when they built that huge mock-up of the Titanic for the movie? There is concrete, but where the ship curves, there appears to be wood planks being used as a floor.

A little off topic, but what do they usually do with such huge movie props like the one used in Titanic? Are they usually destroyed after the movies done? I've always wondered what happed to the Millenium Falcon and all those X-wings and Y-wings.

Anyway, back to the topic, guess no one here's translated the Japanese yet.

Just to note:

I thought it was torpedos off destroyers that sunk her finaly.

Actually, what took the ship out is really left to debate. The Germans claimed they scuttled her, though, really, at that point, the effect of opening her hull up at that point may have been a little redundant.

Edit: IIRC, The Yamato exploded quite magnificently, if I'm recalling my history properly... hence, the obscene damage. It really is a pity, though, she was a fine looking ship (though, the Iowas were my favorite of the period.)

Edited by GreenGuy42

Hmmn.  My current vote is that is a 1/1 model of part of the Yamato.  Reasoning:

1.  It appears to have been built "out of order".  Some sections are far ahead of the others, regarding how real ships are built.  It'd be like if a 747 had the front half done and painted, but the back half still raw frames and stringers.   

2.  It doesn't appear to be in the water nor a dry dock, there's concrete within 1 inch of the outer hull.

3.  Where's the back half of the ship?

4.  Where's the massive tarps and scaffolding?  All the ship-building equipment for that matter.  100-ton cranes, etc. 

Like when they built that huge mock-up of the Titanic for the movie? There is concrete, but where the ship curves, there appears to be wood planks being used as a floor.

A little off topic, but what do they usually do with such huge movie props like the one used in Titanic? Are they usually destroyed after the movies done? I've always wondered what happed to the Millenium Falcon and all those X-wings and Y-wings.

Anyway, back to the topic, guess no one here's translated the Japanese yet.

if you saw most of that stuff in person you'd be unimpressed i'm sure. most movie sets are extreemly temporary and are typically poorly build and only meant to last for a few days of shooting.

even if they wern't dismantled they'd most definately just fallen apart by now.