Gundam F91

So I watched the F91 movie. It was kind of meh but I have some questions:

1) Was F91 only a movie or was the movie cut from an OVA series? Seemed rushed and choppy.

2) They never address why the mobile suits have dramatically decreased in size

3) They act like the original Gundam suit is a distant memory. " Hey the face of this robot looks like that old one, what wa sit called? Gundam or something?" I thought the RX-78-2 was mass produced and became common in UC continuity

4) There were many F-9x Gundam variant models released. F-90, F-91, Sihlouette Formula, etc. None of that appeared in the show

1 Only a movie, the link posted by Black Valkyrie gives a little more detail of why this is so.

2 Probably the same reason why computers/televsions/music centres have dramatically decreased in size over the last few decades, they learned how to make them smaller. :p

3 F91 takes place 50 years after the original UC series. Since Mobile Suits are pretty much taken for granted in UC123 most people probably don't take that much interest in older models, how many tanks/aircraft from WWI can the average person name?

4 No, but there were some manga appearances and those kits are really just an excuse to part modelers from their money anyway, the original MSV kits didn't appear in the MS Gundam anime but people bought them and Bandai got richer. :lol:

2 Probably the same reason why computers/televsions/music centres have dramatically decreased in size over the last few decades, they learned how to make them smaller. :p

3 F91 takes place 50 years after the original UC series. Since Mobile Suits are pretty much taken for granted in UC123 most people probably don't take that much interest in older models, how many tanks/aircraft from WWI can the average person name?

4 No, but there were some manga appearances and those kits are really just an excuse to part modelers from their money anyway, the original MSV kits didn't appear in the MS Gundam anime but people bought them and Bandai got richer. :lol:

2) Bingo.

3) In addition, the RX-78 was mass-produced as the RGM-79 GM. Gundam MS have always been 1 suit, usually a prototype. Unless you're a MS buff at the time, most people don't remember the name, Gundam. History has a tendency to record events on the whole rather than on the individual scale.

4) F-90 was destroyed more that 10 years before F-91. As stated, Silhouette Formula was part of a model kit series/MSV. So those don't count. Also, due to the length of F-91, you cannot fit a crap load of MSs in a 90-minute show.

The movie was definitely MEH. Mostly because it was originally supposed to be a series, but then they decided to chop the hell out of the story line, and shorten it into a single feature.

IMHO, the story jumps around so much that it makes little sense. For instance, you see Seabrook get shot in the first 15 minutes of the film, and then 15 minutes later, he's taking off his sling, and saying it;s much better. Had the series played out, it probably was several weeks in between those two scenes, but due to the pacing of the movie, it makes it look like later the same day. :angry:

In all, I keep it around because the mech battle scene in the colony at the beginning is just BRUTAL!

Well, the movie is worth watching for the first 15 minutes and the last 20 minutes or so. The MS battles are much better then those seen in Chars Counterattack, thats for sure. And the battle against the raflesia was pretty good too.

I wish Bandai would go back and turn this into a show. The story had alot of potential, specially with Xbone Gundam.

For the other Formula Gundams, you should track down a copy of a G Generation Gundam game, they have a pretty good, and sometimes even lengthy, story for those more obscure mangas/kit bashes/whatnot. For example, one of the Formula series has the Gundam fighting against the Mars branch of Zeon, which includes bulked up versions of the classic MSs lol :lol:

Edited by Abombz!!

I like this movie. I can see where it would have been great as a series and some of those ideas made it to Victory Gundam. I do love the Starwars-ish musical score. LMAO.

. I do love the Starwars-ish musical score. LMAO.

:p agreed on the music, i also liked the movie alot it is a shame this movie did not do just alittle bit better in the box office, it is because of the lack of money it made that Bandai did not release the F-90 TV series with fear that it would not generate good revenue. i would have loved to see the series just because of alittle bit of money we did not get a chance to see what could have been a great gundam series :(

I like this movie. I can see where it would have been great as a series and some of those ideas made it to Victory Gundam. I do love  the Starwars-ish musical score. LMAO.

I don't see anyone complaining about Char's Counterattack Star Wars SFX :p

3) They act like the original Gundam suit is a distant memory. " Hey the face of this robot looks like that old one, what wa sit called? Gundam or something?" I thought the RX-78-2 was mass produced and became common in UC continuity

You have to remember one thing, the largest conflict to involve MSs was 50 years before F91, by then MSs had fallen to dark ages because the Feds just didn't see a reason to develop advanced MSs (They still use the Jegan in F91 >.<). All the small conflicts were pretty much kept under wraps, so the last Gundam people saw were the ones involved in the Grips and Axis wars since the Nu Gundam probably didn't get any sort of popular exposure.

And look at 0083, after the Delaz Fleet incident all records of the Grand Prix series Gundam were erased, wouldn't be farfetched to expect most of the other Gundam projects to be treated the same.

The MSs decreased in size because it was the obvious progression... more powerful reactors in smaller frames. Just look at the MSs in Victory Gundam, hit it at the wrong spot and you got yourself a walking nuke lol

Edited by Abombz!!

It's funny that you guys are coming up with so many in-universe explainations for why they don't really reference the older Gundam material, but no one's brought up the main explaination... Gundam was getting big and old. Bandai wanted to attract a newer audience without forcing them to go back and watch all of the older Gundam shows/OVAs/movies. Both F-91 and Victory are set in the UC timeline, but they're both set well enough after Char's Counterattack that the various factions, mobile suits, and previous events aren't really relevant.

It was this desire on Bandai's part to "re-launch" Gundam that led to the alternate universe Gundams (G Gundam, Gundam W, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam SEED/Destiny).

It's funny that you guys are coming up with so many in-universe explainations for why they don't really reference the older Gundam material, but no one's brought up the main explaination... Gundam was getting big and old.  Bandai wanted to attract a newer audience without forcing them to go back and watch all of the older Gundam shows/OVAs/movies.  Both F-91 and Victory are set in the UC timeline, but they're both set well enough after Char's Counterattack that the various factions, mobile suits, and previous events aren't really relevant.

It was this desire on Bandai's part to "re-launch" Gundam that led to the alternate universe Gundams (G Gundam, Gundam W, Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam SEED/Destiny).

He did specify his question based on an inmovie quote, so we gave him an in universe explanation :)

Edited by Abombz!!

It's funny that you guys are coming up with so many in-universe explainations for why they don't really reference the older Gundam material, but no one's brought up the main explaination... Gundam was getting big and old.  Bandai wanted to attract a newer audience without forcing them to go back and watch all of the older Gundam shows/OVAs/movies.  Both F-91 and Victory are set in the UC timeline, but they're both set well enough after Char's Counterattack that the various factions, mobile suits, and previous events aren't really relevant.

He did specify his question based on an inmovie quote, so we gave him an in universe explanation :)

It's cool, and your explainations do make sense.

The Vigna Gina and Dahgi Iris are some pretty cool "bad-guy" MS's.

I know, I love that design. Here's mine!

Front

Back

I didn't apply the giant sticker (boo Bandai, you provided waterslides for almost everything else! ) to the shield, as I'm looking into having a nice coat of arms done up and made into a waterslide decal.

Other than that, it was a great model to build.

What's with the THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING at the end of the movie?

You see it just before you see the Crossbone Vanguard retreat. ;)

F-91 was supposed to be the pilot for a TV series that just never happened.

You see it just before you see the Crossbone Vanguard retreat.  ;)

F-91 was supposed to be the pilot for a TV series that just never happened.

Umm....F91 wasn't really a pilot. It's actually the combination of the first 12...13 scripts of the TV series. F91 was suppose to be a 50+ episode series. But something happened during the pre-production and work stopped. Everything was retooled to fit into a movie format. The hope would have been to make a TV series out of it. But that's all it was, a hope. It took 6 years to bring back Gundam to the TV screen.

It took 6 years to bring back Gundam to the TV screen.

Six? More like two.

Yeah that's right. I'm thinking of the gap between ZZ to V (which was 6). F91 was suppose to fill that gap but never made it.

You see it just before you see the Crossbone Vanguard retreat.  ;)

thats because you got to read the Xbone Gundam manga ;)

They should have made an anime out of it at least a movie trilogy or an OVA serie instead of the crappy seed destiny.

Sweet Dahgi! Mine still languishes in it's box in storage... :(

Thanks. Although, I'm not really that good.

If you want to get rid of the seam line that's inside the head (and visible through the clear blue visor), you'll need to glue an ultra thin piece of plastic on top of the two halves. I painted mine silver so that light reflects back out of the visor.

• 4 years later...
It's funny that you guys are coming up with so many in-universe explainations for why they don't really reference the older Gundam material, but no one's brought up the main explaination... Gundam was getting big and old. Bandai wanted to attract a newer audience without forcing them to go back and watch all of the older Gundam shows/OVAs/movies. Both F-91 and Victory are set in the UC timeline, but they're both set well enough after Char's Counterattack that the various factions, mobile suits, and previous events aren't really relevant.

I knew very little about the original Gundam universe, and when I first saw F-91 back when it first came out, I was completely lost. It was a good thing that Bandai decided to start an alternative universe.

I remember reading that the Crossbone Vanguard manga is quite well regarded and shows the possible potential of F-91.

Also, F-91 gave us Cecily Fairchild. That makes up for a lot. :lol:

Crossbone Gundam is...not really what F-91 would've been (at least, I don't *think* it is). It's set ten years after F-91 and the main cast (the kids) is new. The secondary cast (the adults) is all from F-91: Seabook, Cecily, and Zabine. IIRC, the F-91 cast all kinda moves aside (in one way or another) by about volume 3 or 4 to let the main cast do their thing.

What I'm more interested in is the two-voume F-91 novelization, but my Japanese is nowhere near good enough to read Tomino's rather florid prose yet. :(

I knew very little about the original Gundam universe, and when I first saw F-91 back when it first came out, I was completely lost. It was a good thing that Bandai decided to start an alternative universe.

But the whole point of F91 is ment to be a new start. You don't need to know what happened in the previous gundam shows. Even victory gundam is the same, bandai's attempt at kick starting gundam for a new audience, but also trying not to alienate the core fans. With the alternate universes i feel they have lost the core fans.

But the whole point of F91 is ment to be a new start. You don't need to know what happened in the previous gundam shows. Even victory gundam is the same, bandai's attempt at kick starting gundam for a new audience, but also trying not to alienate the core fans. With the alternate universes i feel they have lost the core fans.

The "core fans" are now 00 fans. The UC fans are in their late 30s. Which is why Unicorn came out as a novel first before they garnered enough hype for the OAV. This whole notion of "core fans" honestly doesn't exist anymore.

The "core fans" are now 00 fans. The UC fans are in their late 30s. Which is why Unicorn came out as a novel first before they garnered enough hype for the OAV. This whole notion of "core fans" honestly doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, but when F91 came out the core fans or UC fans weren't that old yet. If you look at the new star trek movie, they some how come up with a plot that dosen't alienate the old fans and they also manged to get new fans in the process. F91 and victory failed to do this. Which left bandai no option but to just concetrate on getting new fans only with the alternate shows. If f91 or other UC type show was a big success back then, then there probably wouldn't be an alternate universe.

The Vigna Gina and Dahgi Iris are some pretty cool "bad-guy" MS's.

I too liked the film

No issues with it. I liked the designs and I wished they made some MG of the baddies from F91. I have both the F91 Harrison and now the Hero version on delivery. Even thinking of getting the F91 Clear set. Thats how much i like the design.

I think their was a reason given that the smaller sizes reflected in less destructive abilities. But if you take the 1/100 figure out of the cockpit from the f91 the dam robot is still huge.

Yeah, but when F91 came out the core fans or UC fans weren't that old yet. If you look at the new star trek movie, they some how come up with a plot that dosen't alienate the old fans and they also manged to get new fans in the process. F91 and victory failed to do this. Which left bandai no option but to just concetrate on getting new fans only with the alternate shows. If f91 or other UC type show was a big success back then, then there probably wouldn't be an alternate universe.

That's not true either, Sunrise has stil done U.C., 0083, 08th MS, MS IGLOO, and now Unicorn.