Light Saber

Okay I'm relatively new at this. Got an Anakin FX for Christmas last year but the blue isn't bright enough for me plus I'd like a white core but just overall brightness is the problem here.

I don't have anybody to duel with so I guess it's just an aesthetic concern. What is the easiest, cheapest, or just recommended route for me getting the LEDs upgraded somehow?

I'm looking at custom saber shop and it claims that LEDs are determined by a single LED at the base? I thought the FX's were a chain of LEDs up the blade to get the ignition thing. I'm very confused. I just want a nice looking saber.

Edited by ComicKaze

Against my better judgement, I took a look at the Rebel Scum forum. Wow...I had forgotten how tenuous a grasp on reality some of those people have. Not only was the CE line going to cause their precious LEs to lose value, some actually felt MR owed them a refund now that a less expensive version was (going to be) on the market. Another popular notion was that people who wouldn't or couldn't spend the money on a LE somehow didn't deserve a cheaper version. Collecting is something you have to work for, dontcha know?

I had forgotten how hardcore SW collectors made me feel so....stabby. :ph34r:

Man, you aren't kidding. Makes me feel rather stabbity myself. :p

It's one of the reasons I've been lurking more than posting. Because you're not a collector or a fan of star wars if you're in it just for the lightsabers and official products, and wanting affordable replicas.

ComicKaze the MR FX lightsabers (the newer ones anyway) have a string of 64 LEDs in a polycarbonate tube with a light diffuser in it. Customizations that can be done on a FX lightsaber to rip out the string and have the lights concentrated in the handle so turning it on does an instant blade light-up. Plus side is that you don't bust a string of LEDs when you hit crap, kind of like on the old FX lightsabers that had electroluminescent film. Downside is that you lose the scrolling on and off effect. I don't know much on the different ways to customize FX lightsabers though, so I can't help on specific details.

Anyone have a comparison shot of an Anakin ROTS Force FX and an Ultrasaber conversion?

Someone over at FX-Sabers just did a video of an Ultra converted Luke with his new fiber optic blade vs. a stock MR blade. And towards the end of the video, he is swinging the luxeon and a stock Anakin ROTS.

I went to Fry's over the weekend and they had several Force FX'x on display and I was quite impressed. I've never had my hands on one before but seeing them in action is very neat. the metal sabers themselves are very nice looking and the switch action is really cool. I might have to get one eventualy after figuring out the one I want :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a great Christmas.

My parents got me the Anakin ROTS LE without glue problems by the grips, and my wife got me a Clonetrooper ROTS LE. :D

I wore the clonetrooper helmet all morning, even though it smelled funny because it was new.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Maul double-FX lightsaber for Christmas from my best friend, and I got him a Darth Vader ESB lightsaber.

The clonetrooper helmet is fun to wear, I never get tired of wearing it. :lol:

The MR website got a redesign, they put in a forum, and they've got a new Collectors Society set-up for 2007 with a Qui-gon mini that comes with membership. They've eliminated the coupon system, instead all CS members get 10% off of everything. There's also going to be a Luke ESB blaster and a 212th Attack Battalion clonetrooper helmet (Orange stripe Utapau clonetroopers).

And there's going to be a Yoda FX lightsaber this year. :lol:

There's also going to be a Luke ESB blaster and a 212th Attack Battalion clonetrooper helmet (Orange stripe Utapau clonetroopers).

And there's going to be a Yoda FX lightsaber this year. :lol:

A Luke ESB blaster....while the virtually identical Han ESB blaster is still available? Oooookay.... :rolleyes:

(I'd still love to own either version, but its still odd. )

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got an email from both MR and Saber Vault about the new Luke ESB DL-44, and I have to say I'm impressed. I dont know if it's the weathering on the chrome muzzle (as opposed to the subtle frosted appearance of the Han) or something else, but I'm definitely in love with this iteration of the blaster. The edition size is limited to only 1500, so if you want one, don't sit around thinking about it.

Then again, the ROTS Obi Wan saber is still out there, nearly two years after the fact. Maybe the market will be saturated with blasters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Riiiiiiiiiise

I saw the latest SW Insider whilst shoppign yesterday (featuring the "100 best things about Star Wars"....IMO, the laziest form of writing there is) and there was an ad on the back for these EFX Collectibles characters. In addition to the "helmet" that the web sites home page promises, the ad also claimed sabers, props and studio scale replicas. Has anybody been to...ugh...Rebel Scum and maybe heard who these guys actually are. I'm curious to know. While I know the die-hard prop nerds always found some fault in the MR offerings, I personally liked the pieces that I bought and hope that EFX can at least match them in quality and pricing.

http://efxcollectibles.com/

Hasbro took over the Force-FX line of sabers.

EFX is doing more of the prop stuff. I believe they are going to offer stuff that MR hasn't done yet. At least to begin with.

They are doing their debut this summer at comic con in July.

If I find the thread from another forum, I'll cut and paste it here.

---

here's the blurb from January:

eFX and Hasbro

If you were upset over Master Replicas losing the prop replicas license for Star Wars, fear no more because two companies have stepped up.

Hasbro and a new company, eFX, will both be putting out replicas. eFX is a new company headed by former MR employees and will be doing studio scale vehicles and helmets while Hasbro will pick up the FX lightsaber line. Check out the press release:

Lucas Licensing Teams With Hasbro and eFX to Bring High-End Star Wars Collectibles to Fans

New Agreements Begin This Month for Collectible Prop Replicas, Vehicles and Popular Electronic Lightsabers

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Star Wars fans and collectors will find new lines of collectibles from Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) and newcomer eFX in 2008, it was announced today by Lucas Licensing, a division of Lucasfilm Ltd.

Hasbro, Lucas Licensing’s master Star Wars toy and game licensee, will assume the design and production of the high-end, collectible electronic lightsabers line, called “Force FX” Lightsabers, which was previously made by Master Replicas.

Hasbro’s Force FX lightsaber line will debut in the spring and continues the remarkable popularity of electronic replica lightsabers among Star Wars enthusiasts. The line will feature replicas of the iconic weapons used by Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Maul and Yoda.

Newly formed eFX will develop, manufacture and distribute collectible, limited-edition replicas of both full-sized and scaled props; studio- and reduced-scale vehicles and ships; full-sized helmets; and high-end, die-cast vehicles and ships that encompass the entire Star Wars universe.

“Working with both Hasbro and eFX allows us to bring Star Wars fans some of the best collectibles we have ever offered,” said Howard Roffman, President of Lucas Licensing. “These are incredibly creative, innovative companies with a real passion for Star Wars, and we think it’s going to show in the products they offer.”

Hasbro expects the first Force FX lightsabers to be available in the spring, while eFX plans to unveil its first products at Comic Con International in San Diego in July.

Lucasfilm, STAR WARS, “lightsaber” and related character names, vehicle names and properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. TM & © Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

It sounds like Hasbro will kick off the line with re-packs of some of the more recent MR lightsabers but I'm hoping for some Episode 1 versions of both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's lightsabers.

----

Edited by Chowser

Good info, Chowser. I'd heard rumors about Hasbro continuing the FX lineup, and I guess this pretty much confirms it. I don't know how EFX is going to pick up where MR left off in terms of props, though. Most of the iconic ones have already been done. Twice or even three times in some cases. Maybe an all-new Obi Wan ANH, with the correct and not guestimated parts? I'd go for that. Or maybe items that MR had very small runs of, like the Luke ESB blaster and the Vader ROTJ saber.

I've got a few FX sabers, so hope that someone (I don't care who) revisits the regular props. I want a few for the theater I'm going to build.

nice collection robodragon!

I'm just waiting on my Larbel Obi-Wan to get converted. I've got some parts on order from TCSS for three customs I'm working on for me, a coworker, and another coworker's kid.

I'd like to see that when it's done. Are you adding sound? I have looked and relooked and can't figure how to fit anything in that bad boy, other wise it would have been converted by now. will you be posting pics on TCSS during the proses? I go by Grayven there.

Edited by robodragon

It's a beat up Obi-Wan Larbel I picked up from someone from CA. I originally sent a Maul FX with it and it was getting the on/off switch and soundboard from the Maul. I picked up an MR jedi sound board (from an Anakin ROTS) that I am getting put in instead, so the Maul will get it's sound back. The Maul is going to be a Seoul white LED so I can make it pink with some Lee filters for my daughter. The Obi-Wan is going to be either a Seoul or Rebel blue (I can't remember). It's going to use a rechargeable 123 battery setup. I'm not sure if my sabersmith is taking pics or not, he'll probably put a video up on youtube when he's done. He's done it with quite a few of his customs. I wanted to put a CF sound board in it, but there was no room, and an Ultrasound 1.0 would barely fit, but I wasn't happy with the hum from the Ultrasound. I'll see what happens when Ultrasound 2.0 comes out, but I've spent over $400 on parts from TCSS and other places to put three custom sabers together, so I think I need to take a break from lightsabers after I get this batch all done.

I'm Chowser over at TCSS as well. I'll post pics here once it's done and I'll figure out how to do a youtube video.

For you guys doing customs, what are you using for grips? Just sink pipes or anything else suitable? most sink pipes seem to be too thin... most of the old recipes from The Big Yellow Box or whatever it was called were using sink pipes with PVC over it...

not using anything for grips.

here's two customs, the black one is done, the blue one will be done this weekend, it'll be amber with jedi sounds. the black one has sith sounds. both will have MR soundcards. The center one is an MR Luke ANH converted by Ultrasabers.

I ran into a snag, so there'll be a few changes made to both sabers.

mhs1bqs8.jpg

I'm making a small one for a coworker. After two years of foster care, he was finally able to adopt, so it'll be an adoption present for a 3-yr old.

Very very nice collections guys.

I myself wanted to get one, possible Green Jedi Luke version. But spent money elsewhere.

Whats the chances of them churning out better quality ones in the future?

Hasbro took over the line, for now, they are reissuing the last ones that just came out, then I don't know if they are going to redo the line, or make them better and smaller, closer to 1:1 scale is what I'm hoping for.

For now, if you get a chance, I'd pick up a green Luke ROTJ hero version from ultrasabers. unless he already ran out.

A little late in answering, but EFX is made up of a bunch of ex-Master Replicas employees. Amy from Customer Service, several guys that worked on the Star Wars line, and Larbel I believe. There was an announcement about it in the Rebelscum forums a while back.

Hasbro took over the line, for now, they are reissuing the last ones that just came out, then I don't know if they are going to redo the line, or make them better and smaller, closer to 1:1 scale is what I'm hoping for.

For now, if you get a chance, I'd pick up a green Luke ROTJ hero version from ultrasabers. unless he already ran out.

woah, i thought there was 1/1 scales out? I know there was the stupid 1.45 or something scale, but i was sure

i saw some on ebay 1/1 scale... These ones had proper sound - motion effects light and stuffs.

But yeah i don't want to pay the ass out of one just to have it, rather sit and wait for more of an elite version better than

ever release. So hasbro has the licence now? Who did the 1/1 replicas before?