Light Saber

I've heard good and bad about Parks. And after reading about the MPP cameraflash incident, I'm not giving him my business.

I'd love to get a Larbel Obi-wan EL. Too bad I got into collecting these late. I'm holding out on searching out an Obi-wan TPM/AOTC EL in the hopes that MR will release an FX, or a stunt-saber.

The price of an Obi-wan TPM/AOTC replica is a bit prohibitive for me. $400+ is a bit too rich for my wallet. :p

Let us know how the Obi-wan EE is Chowser! :D That's so cool you're getting it!

Borders dunno.

From other pics I saw, the bottom cap that screws on normally is replaced. So the normal cap is like the Darth Maul Battle Damage Limited Edition saber, with the emitter crystal (or whatever it's called) showing, from when Obi-wan cut Maul's saber in two.

This screws off and is replaced with a cap that screws into both bottoms of two darth maul lightsabers. There's holes near the center most likely to let the sound through, from the sound module.

If anyone's looking for a good deal on either Anakin's EPIII or Vader's EPV Force FX sabers, check out Deep Discount DVD. I was shocked to discover they are now carrying toys/props with their usual excellent prices ($ 92.39 with free shipping for the sabers). They also have a decent amount of the .45 sabers and larger props, as well. That free shipping can come in handy. Oddly enough, they also have Toynami Robotech MPC's on sale (Ben and Miriya for now). I hope they decide to carry more items like this in the future... I may end up having a one-stop-shop for all my entertainment goodness.

OK, so I e-mailed the guy from Chowser's auction. BTW - due to the demand he has been getting from his auctions, he has set up a website...

www.ultrasabers.com

For those of us who have non-4th gen FFX Sabers, he has advised me that they can be converted with the Luxeon led etc, however, due to space limitations within the hilt, they cannot be safely modified to removeable blade.

He also advised (because I asked :lol: ) that he does intend to sell conversion kits as well as offering the conversion service. So, for those of us who want to mod our own sabers, and hopefully save a few bucks in the process, it will be available.

I took my Mace Windu saber apart last night (I just can't resist messing with stuff :rolleyes: ) and it doesn't look hard to mod these things. I haven't gotten into the electronics yet, but it looks pretty simple.

Chowser - any sign of your modded Anakin yet?. I'm really anxious to see pics of the removeable blade mod.

If you guys really want to convert your sabers to Luxeon stars. It shouldn't be really hard to do. Luxeons run perfect on 3 x AA batteries. I'm pretty sure you could probably just take out the wiring and rewire directly to the Luxeon star for a direct drive. The Luxeon emmiter shouldn't cost more than 15 bucks for a 3watt version. For more info on Luxeon stars, check out candlepowerforums.com

OK, so I e-mailed the guy from Chowser's auction.  BTW - due to the demand he has been getting from his auctions, he has set up a website...

www.ultrasabers.com

For those of us who have non-4th gen FFX Sabers, he has advised me that they can be converted with the Luxeon led etc, however, due to space limitations within the hilt, they cannot be safely modified to removeable blade.

He also advised (because I asked  :lol: ) that he does intend to sell conversion kits as well as offering the conversion service.  So, for those of us who want to mod our own sabers, and hopefully save a few bucks in the process, it will be available.

I took my Mace Windu saber apart last night (I just can't resist messing with stuff  :rolleyes: ) and it doesn't look hard to mod these things.  I haven't gotten into the electronics yet, but it looks pretty simple.

Chowser - any sign of your modded Anakin yet?.  I'm really anxious to see pics of the removeable blade mod.

343252[/snapback]

I should probably have my converted saber soon,

I just got email shipment notification from USPS, but it hasn't made it to them yet,

he got my saber on the 8th, so i expect him to probably send it back this weekend.

once i get it, i'll post pics and i'll try to do an mpeg movie on my camera, but someone will have to host it or point me to a free host site for movies.

i just bought a new flashlight for work, it's a 3watt Luxeon LED with rechargeable (i think lithium, 123 sized) battery and man, is this Luxeon bright! (got it off ebay from some company in hong kong)

It's just as bright as my Streamlight M3 light. one of the guys i work with has the Pelican M6 LED version, and the $40 (it was very expensive shipping, i guess to cover the ebay fees, i think it was $9.99 US for the light and $29.99 shipping). the light I bought is much brighter than his $70 light, and my battery is rechargeable.

i wish i can get my M3 with a luxeon led. i was looking at the surefire x200 for my HK, wonder how bright that is.

oh, it does say on the box (from my flashlight) not to look directly into the luxeon led.

I picked up a Windu FX. How did you take it apart Mechamaniac? Unlike the Vader, I'm not seeing any screws... I imagine they're hidden under the pleather... and would like to benefit from someone else's blind prodding before I do it myself. ;)

Edited by Uxi

Oh this topic has got me wanting a lightsaber now. I have the old plastic saber from like 7 yrs. ago and after seeing the Mace Windu gold saber today ($115) at Frank & Sons it looks super-sweet. Though I still dig the ROTJ Skywalker one, but not at $175.

alot of borders bookstores still have the ROTJ Luke in stock for $129. I don't know if you can mail order it, but i wouldn't shell out, I had bought two when they came out and my son didn't want his, I sold it for what I paid for it + shipping to someone in Canada (no borders in Canada). it was like $147 or something total..

I can check Border's around me again next time I go to see if they have any.

^_^ good news is that I might be starting a new job next week, atleast I've got high hopes cause it seems like they're interested highly in putting me to work.

If that happens I'm gonna get me a Luke ROTJ saber, I heavily doubt though that there's one at my Borders cause they kind of suck.

they've been averaging $150+ on ebay for some reason, i've seen some go as high as $180.

someone told me borders had a 20% off coupon recently. i'll have to check next time i'm at borders, i think it was only 10% off toys/videos/electronic stuff though.

The Luke was going for $175 at Frank & Sons... I've got a friend who works at a Borders and says she is gonna try to hook me up... we'll see. I got my Windu for $100 after some bargaining.

bump.gif

Any sign of your modded saber yet Chowser?.  I'm dying to see pics!.

344664[/snapback]

yeah, just picked it up today from the post office, inept mailman didn't leave me a notice saturday, and saw me come out to get the mail, guess he was too lazy to come back even though he PARKED in front of my house. i had till wait till today to go pick it up. waiting for my son to bring my digicam back home from school, so far, it looks the same, i see where he added something to hold the blade in, now i have to find an allen wrench to remove it i guess, i think he was supposed to leave me a little blue screwdriver thing, but i didn't see it. i sent him an email.

the blade is brighter at the bottom, and the top, i'll have to get my spare Anakin out and take side by side pics with new batteries in each just to be fair.

i'll get pics up later today.

just gotta figure out how to do shots without the flash since MR blades always show up white when I use flash.

ok, my son's old 2 megapixel camera is here in his room, here's some quick shots.

i just used an allen wrench to remove the screw holding the blade in and it comes out, it's the original MR blade, just empty now, so it's a bit hilt heavy, but i guess that's how a real saber would feel anyways.

imo, it doesn't look as bright as the MR. it's still nice to have no blade to wear, now i just have to find a convertec belt clip to use.

i'm sure this conversion can be done cheaper as it looks like all he did was take out the led assembly, and rewire the luxeon led in, but since i don't know how to do that, i'm happy with it. customsabershop says they are doing this conversion now for only $100.

Anakin modded on the left, original MR Anakin on the right.

wait for the crappy pics please...

#1 with his room light on, flash

dsc014776jy.jpg

#2 with light off, no flash

dsc014796vl.jpg

#3 with light on, no flash

dsc014819fw.jpg

#4 one side next to my other recent purchase for size comparison

dsc014880rf.jpg

#5 the other side next to my other recent purchase for size comparison

dsc014898kk.jpg

Can you take some close up shots of the blade mount?. Thanks!

I'm determined to pull this off myself. I just can't see paying someone (at least with how BROKE I currently am, and Christmas coming up etc.) to do this when wiring in a new LED is child's play. I'm keenly interested in the blade mounting thing though.

Thanks!

Also, I think it looks great. Yeah, it may not be quite as bright, but the color looks tons more even to me, there's none of the "color ring" effect you get from the EL blades.

ok, it looks like he removed this screw here with an allen wrench and pulled the entire blade out.

dsc014931le.jpg

after that, i don't know what he did.

dsc014946ns.jpg

dsc014953sd.jpg

dsc014964xr.jpg

hope that helps.

custom saber shop is offering conversions and parts for the do it yourself.

i'm debating doing my vader myself or sending my other anakin in for a red blade.

i like the feel of the anakin better for sword play. also, the anakins can be used with my cell phone clips to hold onto my belt for dual saber play.

now, Mace's would be the best FX to convert since it's clean with no protrusions, but I prefer Obi-Wan ep.1 / ep.2. I can whack someone upside the head with the bottom of that saber. :o

Cool, thanks Chowser!

I e-mailed the dude at Ultrasabers, and he said the Windu could be converted to Luxeon LED, but not removeable blade for safety reasons.

Having had my Windu saber apart, I think the mod could be done exactly the same way, if not better. I'll post some pics of the broken down Windu later on, but there is plenty of space to do the blade conversion I think.

Either way, I'm going to convert one of them if not both. The other added benefit to converting these is that you can display the hilts in the MRFX stand without having to worry about the blade warping.

You know while I see a huge benefit from getting the blade removed for cosplay purposes and what not, or just for looks, after seeing the pictures with the new blade I noticed that near the top, the color sort of starts to die down in brightness compared to the original MR versions.

I don't know if its just the way your lights are set up in your house or what, but there's probably almost 5-6 inches worth of blade that's not bright and then wham you see the tip lit up.

Maybe its really just my picky side?

But I'm gonna have to kill the guy at TSV, 119 bucks, in stock AND I CAN'T GET IT! GAWD!

post-600-1131988814_thumb.jpg

Wow, I thought I was the only one who was considering changing the color.

Been thinking about green or blue for my Vader.

344768[/snapback]

ok, just got back from the post office, sent my second Anakin off to get a red blade.

decided on red, so i can have one blue light and one red light (i'm a cop).