Light Saber

I a gonna join the club tonight, I was planning on ordering a Mace Windu FX before they go out of style again, the collector's club discount will half pay for itself off that one purchase. If they release a Darth Tyrannus LE I would use the discount on that too. I wish I hadn't missed the Dooku LE, I love that saber design.

Alright, I'm probably only ever going to own one of these babies, so which do you guys think is the best?

I personally prefer the Vader hilt, what is the difference between the various episode Vader hilts as far as the Master Replica FX's? I heard the Anakin saber has more sounds than the Vader one? Should I wait for the Episode V Vader?

The older vader had a slightly different design hilt taking 6AA's and I guess didn't perform that well.

The Episode V Vader is a nicer design and feel for the hilt and the SFX's are digitally programed straight from Skywalker sounds and not recycled or improvised SFX's. Personally, I think his Episode V is fantastic, and if they made an Episode III version I'd get that in a heart beat.

But all in all, if you want something that'll work in all enviorments lighting up brilliantly, you want Anakin's Episode 3.

The older vader had a slightly different design hilt taking 6AA's and I guess didn't perform that well.

The Episode V Vader is a nicer design and feel for the hilt and the SFX's are digitally programed straight from Skywalker sounds and not recycled or improvised SFX's. Personally, I think his Episode V is fantastic, and if they made an Episode III version I'd get that in a heart beat.

But all in all, if you want something that'll work in all enviorments lighting up brilliantly, you want Anakin's Episode 3.

Thanks for the info, but I really don't like the Anakin hilt too much, it's just too plain chromey for me.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...ogon=&langid=EN

Is this then an Episode V Vader? How would I know?

Here's a comparison of the vader sabers, and the Anakin vs Luke saber. The picture is from a review on rpf.

Actually just go read the review, it's better than me summarizing it:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...topic=85190&hl=

Top is the Episode V ESB Vader saber. The black grips go all the way up to the black band.

Below it is the Episode IV ANH Vader saber. The black grips don't go up to the black band.

The top blue saber has the gold circuit looking thing on the box, it's ROTS Anakin's.

The bottom saber is Episode V ESB Luke, with that stripey thingy on the box.

I'm waiting for my Anakin to be sent off from The Saber Vault. The guy there is really nice, JD.

Since the Obi-wan FX was slated for a July release, considering that the Anakin and Vader saber got pushed to July, I'm guessing it's going to be released in August/September.

post-26-1118936499_thumb.jpg

Yeah he's diffenetly a good guy if you wanna order something, even if its out of stock he'll gladly keep it it as available unless he takes it off his site.

I guess he's got a friend there in the MR bussniess so he gets some updates or what ever on products coming out that he'd wanna sell.

I must have emailed that guy half a dozen times and either I get a reply within a few hours or by the next morning when I wake up before hitting the shower to get ready to work, and that's pretty early in the morning.

So I'm glad I'm getting my Anakin saber from him.

For those wanting an Obi-Wan ROTS FX saber:

The pic a few posts up is NOT it. The real FX version has been seen, and much like the ROTJ Luke, the neck is WAY thicker. The thinnest part of the neck is about 99% as wide as the rest of the hilt. Looks fugly IMHO. Looked for pic again, can't find it. Just, don't go pre-ordering it without seeing it.

Yeah, that is pretty clearly an enhanced image, I was curious to know how the FX version would look. The FX blade housing inside the emitter looks like it would be a problem for MR, I am interested to see an actual pic if one is around. I hope they don't have to sacrifice too much of the look to get the function out of it. I respect your opinion though so I am pretty sure I will agree wiht your sentiment when I see a picture.

If I find the pic again, I'll post it. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it. Basically, it is a perfect tube, as much as Anakin or Vader. It does not narrow at all, beyond a few mm here and there.

::edit:: Found it, Australian site. Can't be 100% sure this is it, but sure does look like people expected it to, based on how the ROTJ Luke was changed.

Edited by David Hingtgen

If I find the pic again, I'll post it. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it. Basically, it is a perfect tube, as much as Anakin or Vader. It does not narrow at all, beyond a few mm here and there.

::edit:: Found it, Australian site. Can't be 100% sure this is it, but sure does look like people expected it to, based on how the ROTJ Luke was changed.

Ahhhh, okay.

Damn that sucks for all the Obi-wan lightsaber fans. I thought that Master Replicas might have been able to scale down the neck from the ROTJ Luke.

Sorry if I got any hope up with the image I had found. I didn't know.

Damn the neck on that thing is fat! :ph34r: Hopefully the neck will be at least somewhat thinner on the final version! :)

Didn't get my hopes up, I was thinking "Damn that's gotta be fragile or something with a thin neck"....guess that answers that.

I felt the same way with Windu's saber, the hilt feels extended and that's a bummer.

An MR guy said in an interview that the blade on an FX must go into the hilt something like 2" in order to be durable enough. This means that sacrafices would have to be made for any of the thin necked sabers (Obi, Luke RotJ and Sidious).

I wonder if we'll ever see a removable blade FX. I can't help but wonder if MR is avoiding this since it could cut into the sales of the LEs. Some of the FX hilts look almost identical to the LE replicas. The hardcore MR fans would still get the LEs but the more casual buyers may switch to the FX and display it without the blade. I saw a Luke ESB (IIRC) FX with the blade forcefully, permanetly removed on Ebay a while back that sold for something like $120.

An MR guy said in an interview that the blade on an FX must go into the hilt something like 2" in order to be durable enough. This means that sacrafices would have to be made for any of the thin necked sabers (Obi, Luke RotJ and Sidious).

I wonder if we'll ever see a removable blade FX. I can't help but wonder if MR is avoiding this since it could cut into the sales of the LEs. Some of the FX hilts look almost identical to the LE replicas. The hardcore MR fans would still get the LEs but the more casual buyers may switch to the FX and display it without the blade. I saw a Luke ESB (IIRC) FX with the blade forcefully, permanetly removed on Ebay a while back that sold for something like $120.

For the more serious collector and all, the fact that the handles are different will cause them not to switch to FXs.

Take for example the Windu FX. It's distorted, but also it would normally have a flat surface to the emitter. If you take out the blade you've got a big gaping hole. Same with Sidious.

Besides I want to swing my FX around without the fear of having it fly out because it's removable.

I totally agree that the serious collectors will still get the LEs and EEs but I feel that a significant portion of the casual LE buyers (and these folks do exist) might switch to FXs if the blade was removable. One rule of marketing is to never canabalize your own market share.

Keeping the blade in place would be no problem. The Parks sabers use a single set screw. The MRs could use a push down and turn lock mechanism that would be rock solid. I've never dissected an FX but I'm guessing there are only a handful of wires going into the blade. Ground, one wire per blade segment and perhaps a power wire depending on if the LEDs are driven off a transistor acting as a switch or if they are direct driven. I'd bet that the light up effect is accomplished by using a 4bit port (assuming there are 4 blade segments). The power up sequence is 0000, 1000, 1100, 1110, 1111 and the power down sequence is 1111, 1110, 1100, 1000, 0000.

I actually prefer the classic trilogy sabers that have a hole for the blade to come out of. To me it is more believable (yeah I know its all scifi) I think that the flat emitter sabers (which is most of them) look unfinished. This is just a personal preference.

Ground, one wire per blade segment and perhaps a power wire depending on if the LEDs are driven off a transistor acting as a switch or if they are direct driven. I'd bet that the light up effect is accomplished by using a 4bit port (assuming there are 4 blade segments). The power up sequence is 0000, 1000, 1100, 1110, 1111 and the power down sequence is 1111, 1110, 1100, 1000, 0000.

I actually prefer the classic trilogy sabers that have a hole for the blade to come out of. To me it is more believable (yeah I know its all scifi) I think that the flat emitter sabers (which is most of them) look unfinished. This is just a personal preference.

I like both the OT sabers and PT sabers. I don't like the generic Jedi lightsaber though...

This about sums up my facial expression at the moment about the technical aspects of the blades.

post-26-1119086522.jpg

I personally can't see why anyone would wanna do that to a saber...I wouldn't do that to an FX even if I knew what I was doing and could put it together like it were new again.....I just don't see a reason.

I do however know that I'll be getting Anakin's hopefully in TSV's July shipment...sent off my payment Monday so it should ge there if I'm lucky tomorrow or friday...otherwise I'm waiting August :(

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a Obi-wan AOTC mini lightsaber, the last from the Saber Vault. It is niiiiice. :D

I also got a ROTS Anakin mini and Best Buy Sidious mini. They're so cool! They're sooo heavy and detailed. :D

I can't wait for my Anakin ROTS FX to arrive! :D

Saber Vaults getting their first shipment of Mace Windu's <<<Might get one in August. Their shipment for Anakin E3's is pushed back AGAIN till the end of July, but I'm good as gold on the first shipment.

Let's see while the boards were down I got in the toy lightsaber that energizer was giving out for "free" its a episode 3 darth vader. The blade part doesn't line up perfectly straight with the handles nobs and buttons.

I received the Sidious RotS mini (normal color) a couple of days ago. Very nice looking. Much smaller than the other hilts.

The Weathered Obi I ordered should arrive in 4-6 weeks. I don't mind the wait since I got it for a good price.

Collection prior to adding the Sidious...

wc_4.JPG

wow Matt, those look nice, the only mini I have is the AOTC Obi-Wan to match my Larbel EL Obi-Wan plasmablade.

I just ordered Vader's EP. 5 FX version. I just wish MR would make an Elite version of the FX using some harder blade material so we can actually duel with sound :)

There's an online site I think called "LightTech" or something close. For a LARGE amount of money, like more than what you'd pay for a Park Saber, you'll get a saber with your choice of a polycarb blade that you can actually dual with because "Light sabers are meant for dualing!"

They even have small sample clips of people using the light sabers. However the designs are limited and sort of ugly.

For an extra hundred bucks you can get a sound module which will attatch to the hilt of the blade with a small cord runing to a box which is tied to a glove that you wear. This box will produce power up, down, idle and various clashing noises. However, you gotta wear the glove for it to work properly.

Your looking at a 500 dollar value I believe.

Oh man, I got to handle a limited edition Count Dooku lightsaber today from Master Replicas.

From handling the minis I expected it to be heavy, but WOW! It was really heavy!

I was so tempted to buy it, because it was a reasonable price. BUT. When I saw it up close I realised:

1) One of the black rubber grips had fallen off :angry::(

2) It had been handled so much that the finger prints would be imppossible to get off, because it had never been wiped after being handled, and the oils had already taken effect on the metal.

3) I think it had been dropped by idiots multiple times because there were some things that seemed off about it.

4) It was obvious that one of the other grips had been glued back on half-assed.

It was great to actually see and handle one in person, but I felt so bad for the poor thing. Limited run of them, and this one got the shaft.

I also saw a Yoda LE priced at €500 or so. Disgusting. :angry:

Plus the shop I saw them at were selling a As First Built By Obi-wan Kenobi mini, for €75, obviously broken. The emitter was crooked, practically falling off.

Soooo, don't go searching for anything at the FNAC on the champs elysee in Paris. :p They are teh suck.

My wife (yes I just got married! Woohoo!) just got me for a surprise the mini Darth Sidious lightsaber.

Then I found out that she almost managed to get me a one of those rare 18k gold plated versions that come at random. But she didn't realise that it was that and said to the cashier girl "the color is weird", then the girl went to check if it was normal, and in the mean time my wife realised "OH GOD!!! IT'S ONE OF THE GOLDS!!!!" But the cashier girl came back and raised the price of it to €85.

I wound up with a normal, which is what I really wanted, but knowing that she had the luck to hold in her hands a gold... It was "wow"!

Later we laughed about it (she felt bad, but she couldn't have known) and compared it to Charlie finding a golden ticket and exchanging it for a normal chocolate bar. "Hey Mister, there's something wrong with my chocolate, it's gold!" :lol:

It kind of hurts because it would have been cool to have, but on the other hand, I don't think I would have sold it to make extra money to buy more crap. :p Besides I already have a Best Buy Exclusive Sidious (normal), and now a normal Sidious. So I'm cool. B)):D

My wife (yes I just got married! Woohoo!) just got me for a surprise the mini Darth Sidious lightsaber.

Then I found out that she almost managed to get me a one of those rare 18k gold plated versions that come at random.  But she didn't realise that it was that and said to the cashier girl "the color is weird", then the girl went to check if it was normal, and in the mean time my wife realised "OH GOD!!! IT'S ONE OF THE GOLDS!!!!"  But the cashier girl came back and raised the price of it to €85.

I wound up with a normal, which is what I really wanted, but knowing that she had the luck to hold in her hands a gold... It was "wow"!

Later we laughed about it (she felt bad, but she couldn't have known) and compared it to Charlie finding a golden ticket and exchanging it for a normal chocolate bar. "Hey Mister, there's something wrong with my chocolate, it's gold!" :lol:

It kind of hurts because it would have been cool to have, but on the other hand, I don't think I would have sold it to make extra money to buy more crap. :p  Besides I already have a Best Buy Exclusive Sidious (normal), and now a normal Sidious.  So I'm cool.  B)):D

312921[/snapback]

Doh! is right...coulda sold the gold!!!

I got my MIB MR ESB Vader yesterday...I'm not that pleased with it. There is a dark spot in the middle, presumably a dead LED and the blade is pink/orange in anything but sheer darkness.

The clash effect is also insanely hard to trigger, I have to hit it so hard I'm wary of damaging the blade. The sound effects are also delayed to my motion.

I'm considering selling it to pay a speeding ticket.

Edited by ComicKaze