OT: I've been issued a medal!

Sorry to be so way OFF TOPIC, but I am so flabergasted with this I had to share it with you guys, some of you who have served in the military. I just found out that I am going to be awarded the Korean Defense Service Medal for time in country operating near the DMZ in 1983. For those of you vets out there who served during the Cold War years and did not do time in wonderful spots like Nam, Beruit, Grenada, and Panama among others, you probably have the same group of ribbons I do associated with peacetime activity. While this may seem trivial to some, this is exciting news for me, even though I never fired a shot in anger.

Sorry to sound like I'm bragging. I'm just excited to have something to add to my piddly overseas service award and good conduct medal. And, if there are any members here who served in Korea near the DMZ, PM me if you would like to find out if you are eligible for the award.

Mods, close the thread when its run its course. Thanks!

Congrats! Dude, that's a combat zone! You earned it! There's only a cease-fire in effect there. I don't think most people realize that. Though, you obviously do! :)

congratulation on the medal and for service to your country :)

chris

Congrats dude!

And BSU, yeah, it happens. My dad used to get stuff like that for the stuff he did in Viet Nam, but YEARS later. He was one of the few to receive an air assault badge when the Army first (or finally) recognized that certification. Apparently, he did that kind of stuff all the time in Nam, but back then, they didn't have a purty badge to go with it.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Congrats, Noriko :thumbsup: ! (Shawn/Graham, can we have that smiley back, puhleez?)

And, actually, I know about those medal snafus also, although not at first hand (I was never in the military myself) My grandfather on my dad's side had fought in WW2 as an infantryman in the Pacific and was involved in Guadalcanal. He apparently (I say that since he was very reticent about his experiences in the war) saw a large amount of combat, and at least enough to earn the Combat Infantry Badge. After the end of WW2, the US Army had instituted rules that said that any soldier who had earned the CIB prior to (IIRC) September 2, 1945 was automatically entitled to wear the Bronze Star. Many vets, including my grandfather, never knew that they were so entitled to wear the decoration. We're also unsure of what medals he did recieve during the war (with the exception of the CIB) as his medals and uniforms disappeared on his way back from the Pacific and his records were destroyed in the US Army archives fire in St. Louis in 1972.

Congrats Noriko. Already have your Cold War Service Medallion?

No, I do not have the Cold War Service Medal as it was never approved by the military. I do have the certificate though. As for the KDSM, the medal was passed into law by G.W. Bush back in 2002, to honor veterans who served in Korea. See the links provided to see if you are eligible.

http://foxfall.com/csm-common-kdsm.htm

http://www.amervets.com/replacement/kdsm.htm

The form to fill out if you meet the criteria but have been out of the service for a while is here: https://lnweb1.manpower.usmc.mil/manpower/m...doc?OpenElement Mind you this is for Marine Corps personel only. The Army has their own system which I am unsure of