Yamato's Display Arm

Graham

From the new November 2003 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine, here's a pic of Yamato's upcoming display stand/crane arm.

Guess this means that it is still going to go into production, although no release date or price is mentioned in the text.

Also, I think this is the first time we have seen it holding a 1/48. All previous pics have only shown it with 1/72 and 1/60 toys.

Graham

Too bad a real rendition of the DYRL launcharm is mechanically impossible

(i.e. the backpack wouldn't be able to carry the weight and break)

these look very nice, but not quite right :unsure:

It can be done if one wants to drill holes and run coper wire through the entire thing.

It can be done if one wants to drill holes and run coper wire through the entire thing.

Heh, heh, I'll let you drill holes through your FAST packs, I'm not going anywhere near any of my Yamatos with a drill. :p

Graham

It looks a little chunky to me... sort of haphazzard. I've been on the fence about getting stands for all my valks and this may push me more towards the clear plastic three prong stands rather than these.

They may be "Macross" and all but they just look ungangly and unstable to me... plus it looks like you can only use them in jet mode... and on the VF-1 you have to take the gunpod off to give it a semi-stable seating.

Heh, heh, I'll let you drill holes through your FAST packs, I'm not going anywhere near any of my Yamatos with a drill. :p

Graham

I'm going to see if I can do it with some kind of clear frame that will attach to the arm, but hold the underside of the VF-1. I will keep everyone updated.

I wonder if it could be mounted horizontically......that'd make it looks a lot better (albiet very dangerous). I would also NEVER take a drill to my Yamato, I'm so destructive I'd end up destroying the damn thing. <_

Shucks, from the looks of it, in order to mount the 1/48 Valk with Fps, the gunpod has to be removed in order for the entire piece to sit snuggly into the crane assembly itself. Adding to that, im wondering wether the arm piece would be able to withstand the huge weight of the 1/48 with Fps. This sort of motivates me to get the acryllic stands instead of these. Cheaper and affordable. Btw Graham, i just found out that these acryllic stands that sithlord sells are also readily available in Hong Kong, its being sold at a model shop in Wanchai.

Cheers

Ugh. Not very attractive...and very limited especially compared to the clear, resin ones. Plus I like keeping the Ole' Gunpod tucked under in fighter mode and being able to display my Valk in Gerwalk. That's just my opinion. I see the value...it's just not for me.

This could be a possibility but who would want to display all his valks upside down:

(apologies to Rdenham for using his pic without permission)

Edit: Although they indeed would be of great value to build a diorama as stated by TheFrenchOne

post-4-1064352080.jpg

Edited by Nightbat®

Since I've bought several of sithlord's stands I may just get one of them.

BTW, nice pic rdenham :)

Hello,

Graham, first of all, thank you for posting the update.

I have to be honest, on one hand I'm glad Yamato is making an effort to produce a display stand that has some characteristics of an actual DYRL launch arm; however, it is a half ass attempt because what they have come up with is neither a nice looking display stand, nor does it even closely approximate a DYRL launch arm. By trying to achieve something in the middle, they have failed to excel in either arena or accomplish something I would personally desire to own.

Do it right, or don't do it all. A point taken from Toynami's lesson learned book regarding the MPC.

Sincerely,

Christopher B)

I hope Yamato will use a good quality plastics on those Display crane to make sure it won't break in holding the Valks :) .

Just by looking at the picture, it's kind of hard to tell what it looks like in close up.

Graham: Do you happen to know the quality of plastic that Yamato use on those cranes?

I have to be honest, on one hand I'm glad Yamato is making an effort to produce a display stand that has some characteristics of an actual DYRL launch arm; however, it is a half ass attempt because what they have come up with is neither a nice looking display stand, nor does it even closely approximate a DYRL launch arm. By trying to achieve something in the middle, they have failed to excel in either arena or accomplish something I would personally desire to own.

They look a hell of a lot better than Hasegawa's version

and if I was able to mount my valks "canon" onto them I'd buy a box of these babies

If I ever decide to build a diorama I'll definitly buy a few

but like this it has no "use" for me, sorry

They look a hell of a lot better than Hasegawa's version

and if I was able to mount my valks "canon" onto them I'd buy a box of these babies

If I ever decide to build a diorama I'll definitly buy a few

but like this it has no "use" for me, sorry

Did Hasegawa ever make a launch arm??? I have a few of the stands they made, but they don't in any way resemble a proper launch arm from the series.

Now that you mention it, I was just thinking this might make a nice launch arm diorama for a Hasegawa model kit with a little work. I'm not all that interested in these for my Yammies since you'd have to be pretty dense to bet that backpack hinge would hold up the weight without snapping, but I think a lightweight styrene model nay just hold up ok.

Thanks for the pics, Graham!

:D

Something just came to my mind.

Also honestly speaking, I think the arm is only a "half" job finished.

I think I would have to modify it a little to look like the DYRL arm. Perhaps making some stamping parts of metal would make it more sturdy?

On other hand, if the base is not very expensive (within 15 bucks) I would buy it. More than that, I think it's a little way too much!

Paulo

Uhh...if it can't even hold a VF-1 properly, I don't see the point. I'll just stick with sithlord's stands, they're simple, elegant, cheaper, and unobtrusive. Plus, you can even get them to hold the Valkyries in Gerwalk and Battroid modes.

Now THIS is how the claw should be holding the VF-1. :D

VF_11C_Thunderbolt_On_A_Launching_Arm_01.jpg

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Guys, I know very little, in fact next to nothing about the Yamato display arm. I've no idea about the material, strength etc.

It's a project completely controlled by Yamato Japan and they have been keeping it very close to their chest, so my contacts at Yamato Hong Kong know nothing about it.

Also, unfortunately my main contact at Yamato Japan is no longer directly involved in the day-to-day management of the Macross line, so my access to info is not as good as it used to be. I'm not that close to the guy now in charge of Macross product development :(

Anyway, I'll probably buy one of these whenever they come out. If it turns out to be good then I may buy 3 to 4 more. However, at the moment I'm really satisfied with the acrylic rod display stands I bought from s i t h l o r d.

Graham