Ghost Rider movie thread

For my personal tastes I think that bike, while cool looking, looks like something to come out of Orange County Choppers(also cool). However, I don't see GR riding something like that. I totally dig the flaming wheels. I was wondering if they'd keep them in the movie.

I wonder if they'll have Dan Ketch or Johnny Blaze. It would be cool to have the former because then Blaze could run around too.

No no no, you guys have it all wrong. Ghost Rider's bike should look like THIS.

That's not Ghost Rider's bike, That's Johnny Blaze's. The one from the photo look's like I'd expect Zarathos's bike to look like, if it wasn't made entirely of hellfire. However, I'm more of a fan of the newer Dan Ketch Ghost Rider, than of the original Johnny Blaze/Zarathos GR.

Of course. I haven't read the comics in over ten years, so I have no idea what's gone on with the new GR, since then.

Edited by Greyryder

No no no, you guys have it all wrong. Ghost Rider's bike should look like THIS.

That's not Ghost Rider's bike, That's Johnny Blaze's. The one from the photo look's like I'd expect Zarathos's bike to look like, if it wasn't made entirely of hellfire. However, I'm more of a fan of the newer Dan Ketch Ghost Rider, than of the original Johnny Blaze/Zarathos GR.

Of course. I haven't read the comics in over ten years, so I have no idea what's gone on with the new GR, since then.

Last I heard; Dan Ketch got his throat ripped out by Blackout and has to stay as GR to continue living. But... I don't know what's happened since.

This will always be the Ghostrider bike for me -

ghostrider.jpg

I'm with Max. The original Ghost Rider story was the kind of cheesy one-shot that you'd expect in a book dedicated to cheesy one shots... which it essentially was (Marvel Spotlight #5-11). Even though the Blaze/Zarathos Ghost Rider launched the series, the Dan Ketch/Noble Kale Ghost Rider was much more suited to a superhero book.

If I'm reading things right on the net, the Dan Ketch Ghost Rider story was never fully resolved, and they just kind of launched into a volume 3 with Johnny Blaze again possessed by Zarathos and transforming into the Ghost Rider.

While the bike in the upcoming movie looks a lot more like Blaze's bike than Ketch's, Blaze's bike was largely unremarkable. With the demonic bone and skull design, I'd go so far as to say that it actually reminds me a bit of Vengeance's bike.

I wonder if they'll have Dan Ketch or Johnny Blaze. It would be cool to have the former because then Blaze could run around too.

From what I read, the movie Ghost Rider will borrow elements from both the Blaze Ghost Rider and the Ketch Ghost Rider... but it'll be Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze as Ghost Rider. Not a Ketch in sight.

Looks too happy, like a guy dressed for halloween. Ghost rider should have a completely neutral look on his face with no emotion. Lots of shadows in the eyesockets and gritted together and rotted teeth are better. It should look as if the 'thing' was a dead person - no emotion, no indication that the enviroment itself has an effect on its mood. No sense that what we are seeing is even human.

Plus the wheels aren't flaming on that, (only the road) indicating a bike that doesn't have a supernatural quality to it.

I hope they just make the whole thing dirty and gritty. The character would look better if designed to give a feel more for a horror movie that would scare the crap out of you if it had been real, than something superheroic and comicbook like..(shiny and fake cg like spiderman 1)

Will this movie have much gore or violence? I reckon if they could just make movies like it suitable for a nongenre movie person, the character will have a much more lasting impact. A lot of attention is paid to how it looks but the goal should be what impression are we trying to give off? Would the character care about style or grace? The appearance imo should be 'messy and disgusting', like you'd be afriad to even touch him since he looks like a corpse that has been unnaturally reanimated. The costume itself wouldn't look hollywood clean, but have an old worn ugly and aged appearance to it. Maybe even have dust and cobwebs on bits of the bike and the person.

The thing you got to give todd mcfarlane credit for is that he at least wasn't afriad to make his characters really dirty. (I remember the original mcfarlane spiderman comics and how yucky everything looked. Even the spiderman cobwebs were disgusting :D it really set the mood) I wouldn't mind if they dirtied the bike a little and gave everything a crusty, ready-to-fall-apart-and-rot look to it. With a hint that how it is all put together is through being supernaturally strengthened rather than naturally robust. To me the shiny look gives off the feeling it is new with a manmade, organised structure, when the bike would be better off hiding that impression with broken lines, twists, curves and uneven surfaces as if pieces were chaotically welded together, not molded to exact specifications like how the chains looks neat and perfectly straight. Also the SFX shouldn't make things look too solid and hard and inflexible. They should allow for shock abosorbtion and flexibility between parts so when the bike is pysically being ridden upon, you can be convinced of the physics. When everything looks like it has been made of one material, you immediately believe the bike should be rigid without any give and would behave a certain way or weigh a certain amount.

I think if they could make the character less demonic (it's not on any side - just on its own) and sadistic looking and more neutral in emotion (no enjoyment, no sense of high or low emotion) in the movie, it would be more scary and interesting. For those who don't read comics, it should be a complete mystery as to what 'it' is. They should think of it as 'the ghost rider' rather than "Ghost Rider TM" the marvel super hero, if you know what I mean..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

it does look very cg.. I wonder how they'll shoot it? Will Nic Cage be driving around on a blue or green harley? And he'll be dressed the same too I guess. Sexy!

it does look very cg..

The fire effect is completely CG in the photo...and they overindulged the CG fire reflections on the bike itself (which looks way, WAY overdone)

I agree with 1/1 LowViz Lurker, it would be beter if the bike looked pieced together sorta like something from the Road Warrior...a frankenstien-ish machine, but with very unconventional parts...Radial engine from a WW1 bi-wing or something...the whole cromed dipped HD basied chopper thing is currently too "hip" and cliched...it looks like it just screams "I'm owned by a RUB who only rides me from one pub to the next" :p

It looks like something Spinal Tap or Iron Maiden would ride into a concert stage on. Even though I liked the new version of GR in the comics, the chopper look has that bad-ass vibe to it. It would be cool if they went R with this one, but I'm sure it will be PG or PG-13.