Millia Custom Bandai VF-17S

Graham

Here's my Millia VF-17S custom of the Bandai 1/65 scale VF-17S reissue toy.

I didn't paint this myself, but commissioned a well know professional model builder in Hong Kong to paint it for me.

I'm fairly happy with how it came out, despite the fact that it took him 6 months to finish it <_< .

The only things that I'm a little bit miffed about are that he didn't paint the light blue parts (they should be a sort of greyish tan). Also, he didn't paint the auxiliary engine intakes (loccated on the back of the hips in Battroid mode).

So first of all here's the Battroid mode pics. Note, I asked the painter to detail the panel lines and add minor weathering.

Graham

mil17bat1.jpg

mil17bat2.jpg

mil17bat3.jpg

mil17bat4.jpg

mil17bat5.jpg

mil17bat6.jpg

Now some more Battroid mode pics, this time after the transformation from Fighter & Gerwalk.

If you look closely, you can see that the transformation has scratched the shoulder connectors.

Also, as the head lasers are made of a fairly soft bendy plastic, the paint on the lasers has started to crack and flake off due to the lasers being flexed slightly during transformation.

I won't be transforming this custom any more and will keep it in Battroid mode to prevent further damage to the paint scheme.

Graham

mil17bat7.jpg

mil17bat8.jpg

mil17bat9.jpg

mil17bat10.jpg

mil17bat11.jpg

mil17bat12.jpg

I have this one in navy blue, which I believe this 1/65 was also originally in navy blue, right. It really looks good, but I think you're right about the light blue parts been gray. It'll look so much better. BTW, in what part of M7 does this model appears? Dinamite? Ihave only seen part of this anime, but I like the mecha.

Vic!

edited grammar.

Edited by vlenhoff

THAT is a freaking beautiful custom!!

The paintjob looks so smooth, it looks almost factory done.

Who did that custom for you?.

EDIT - my one and only complaint with this valk is that if someone took the time to do such a beautiful paint job, I wish they would have puttied over the screw holes.

Edited by Mechamaniac

EDIT - my one and only complaint with this valk is that if someone took the time to do such a beautiful paint job, I wish they would have puttied over the screw holes.

I originally wanted the screw holes puttied over and the knees and hips modified, but it would have cost me too much, so in the end I just went with the paint job.

Graham

great custom! it must be one of a kind. hope you got a discount for the unpainted blue parts. nice weathering too.

It was cost about US$200. And nope, no progress pics were provided.

Graham

*whistles* :huh:

Gawd...for that kinda money, one would at least expect him to follow the reference pictures and paint it to actual color. :angry:

It looks great...but the blue really bothers me.... :(

Graham, what artwork/picture did you provide the modeler to base the painting scheme on? If you don't mind, could you post it here. Thanks.

Ivan

I provided several pics from magazines and and also screen shots from the anime.

I'll post some.

Graham

Graham

Gawd...for that kinda money, one would at least expect him to follow the reference pictures and paint it to actual color. :angry:

I've since found another painter who should be able to do similar quality work (and get the colors right) for half the price.

The next custom toy might be a conversion of a Yamato Mac Plus VF-11B FP to Mac 7 VF-11C colors.

Graham

Guest Bromgrev
If you look closely, you can see that the transformation has scratched the shoulder connectors.

Also, as the head lasers are made of a fairly soft bendy plastic, the paint on the lasers has started to crack and flake off due to the lasers being flexed slightly during transformation.

I won't be transforming this custom any more and will keep it in Battroid mode to prevent further damage to the paint scheme.

Graham

That's the problem with toys, it's difficult trying to get a decent bond between the paint and the soft plastics. Did he use acrylics? I'm reluctant to transform even models once they're painted.

Re: the blue, I suppose he had to leave some shiny bits so you could tell it's a toy! :D

Graham

I've since found another painter who should be able to do similar quality work (and get the colors right) for half the price.

The next custom toy might be a conversion of a Yamato Mac Plus VF-11B FP to Mac 7 VF-11C colors.

Graham

lol, that's on my "to do" projects.. has been for a long time. I remember bugging you for 11c pics last year sometime. :rolleyes: I have promised myself I will do it this year.

Did the customizer explain why he left the blue parts blue? I mean, looking at the show and the magazine scans they're most obviously grey. Did you ask him about it? It seems a shame, because those unpainted blue parts really stand out against an otherwise remarkable custom job.

man,graham,even with the small things you don't like about this custom,it's absolutely beautifully detailed.the quality of the whole piece i think makes up for it's very few shortcomings.nice piece to add to your collection dude B))

Graham

If you want to try to touch up the blue plastic yourself at any time in the future then Gunship Grey is the color id suggest using on them. Still a great custom BTW but for 200 USD i would have filled the holes and seams for you

Sean.

Edited by HWR MKII