music

wyaxyz

All the Iron Maiden albums released between 1982 and 1988 are the cream of the crop, but if I were to choose just one, it would be Powerslave, especially with their 13-minute epic "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".

Over the years, I've become a bigger fan of Iron Maiden after making friends with a tribute band based in L.A.

maidens2009.jpg

The Iron Maidens (World's Only Female Tribute to Iron Maiden)

They're not a hair metal band? They certainly LOOK like one (and sound like it, too).

There's certainly a difference between Heavy Metal and Hair Metal. Hair Metal relies mainly on image - long hair sprayed with cans of Aqua Net, heavy use of makeup and mascara, spandex pants, etc. Their songs focus mainly on decadence - partying all night and getting laid.

Iron Maiden, on the other hand, never did songs about mile-high clubs and booze. Their songs vary from horror to sci-fi to world history. Just because they wore spandex back in the 80s doesn't mean they were a Hair Metal band.

There's certainly a difference between Heavy Metal and Hair Metal. Hair Metal relies mainly on image - long hair sprayed with cans of Aqua Net, heavy use of makeup and mascara, spandex pants, etc. Their songs focus mainly on decadence - partying all night and getting laid.

Iron Maiden, on the other hand, never did songs about mile-high clubs and booze. Their songs vary from horror to sci-fi to world history. Just because they wore spandex back in the 80s doesn't mean they were a Hair Metal band.

I'll be honest...the '80s metal scene kind of escaped me. I was much more into what we called "cutting edge," which was of course VASTLY different from "college rock" and (later) "alternative."

Or at least it SEEMED vastly different at the time. So even though there's a world of difference between, say, Throwing Muses and Soundgarden, they do tend to get lumped together under the same genre heading.

And of course I'll agree that someone like Iron Maiden has very different thematic concerns that, for example, Cinderella...to say that they're a completely different genre is just silly, unless you're into entomologist-levels of classifying and sub-classifying.

It's all metal. Specifically '80s metal. You may like one band and despise the other, but they're not really all THAT different.

Edited by Gubaba

Metallica was the best band to survive the 80s metal scene imo. Sadly Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead and others all sound watered down compared to what I listen to now. Still...I'm still going to a Metallica show in December, they are still bad ass live.

All you Maiden fans out there I have a sugesstion for you.

Snap up A Matter of Life and Death as soon as you can. The critics were right about this one by saying that it's their best work since Piece of Mind.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Metallica was the best band to survive the 80s metal scene imo. Sadly Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead and others all sound watered down compared to what I listen to now. Still...I'm still going to a Metallica show in December, they are still bad ass live.

Oh, your not wrong, i envy all those who have seen Metallica live, so whenever they are down aussie next time, i'll be there.

I think that Metallica were really, really stupid to have gotten mixed up in the Napster affair the way they did and I have found it hard to forgive them for it. It really made them seem like they were personally going to war with their fans. Lars in particular came out of it very badly. The looked like greedy millionaires.

And for those who are going to waltz up now and whine "But Taksraven, they were fighting piracy, they were trying to look after their own interests and protect their music. Are you saying that you support piracy", I say whatever. If the band was so determined to preserve their own interests they should have gone through the record company and get record company execs to fight the battle for them. They NEVER should have gotten publicly involved with it.

I think that Metallica also lost quite a few fans in Australia in 1991 when Lars was a guest programmer on RAGE. (Local weekend late-night music show) He was programming songs by C&C Music Factory and that "Groove is in the Heart" crap, bragging how the band was listening to that sort of stuff and a lot of die-hard metal fans were extremely pissed off.

Taksraven

I think that Metallica were really, really stupid to have gotten mixed up in the Napster affair the way they did and I have found it hard to forgive them for it. It really made them seem like they were personally going to war with their fans. Lars in particular came out of it very badly. The looked like greedy millionaires.

And for those who are going to waltz up now and whine "But Taksraven, they were fighting piracy, they were trying to look after their own interests and protect their music. Are you saying that you support piracy", I say whatever. If the band was so determined to preserve their own interests they should have gone through the record company and get record company execs to fight the battle for them. They NEVER should have gotten publicly involved with it.

I think that Metallica also lost quite a few fans in Australia in 1991 when Lars was a guest programmer on RAGE. (Local weekend late-night music show) He was programming songs by C&C Music Factory and that "Groove is in the Heart" crap, bragging how the band was listening to that sort of stuff and a lot of die-hard metal fans were extremely pissed off.

Taksraven

Personally I liked South Park's lampooning of this very subject...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103759

While I agree about the Napster thing taks, I really don't see how the second one should have any impact. I don't see how because they are a metal band they must all always enjoy music equal to or more heavy than theirs. But on the flip side, it was Lars, and Lars is (for like of a better term) the bitch of the group.

Their older stuff is still really good, but I'm still on the fence about their newest album.

While I agree about the Napster thing taks, I really don't see how the second one should have any impact. I don't see how because they are a metal band they must all always enjoy music equal to or more heavy than theirs. But on the flip side, it was Lars, and Lars is (for like of a better term) the bitch of the group.

I'm not saying that it bothered me personally (overall I am indifferent to the band), but by listening to the Three Hours of Power on the radio the week after, they were taking calls from a lot of disgruntled fans. Just the way things are, I guess.

Taksraven

Coming to a Walmart near you on October 6: Sonic Boom - KISS' first studio album in over a decade.

KISS - "Modern Day Delilah"

KISS is not KISS without "Space" Ace Freeley and Peter Criss.

Paul is the only tolally sane member of the current group.

And Gene is, well, a narcissistic, arrogant, money loving, unmarring, licensing-happy son of a bitch whose son is a hilarious riot (yes, I do admit to watching Gene Simmons, Family Jewels).

• 2 weeks later...
Lost my Death Magnetic cd somewhere, and been couple of months without it, so i up'd and bought another one. lol i love it.

That happened to me with "Philosophy of the World" by The Shaggs.

Except for me, I kept loaning it out and never getting it back...the third time I bought it, I stopped lending it to people, and just made them tapes of it instead.

I say this about Iron Maiden:

Big hair+Bangs+tight pants+double guitars+high pitch vocals+4 min. solos = glam/hair band/Cock rock.

The only band that I felt were mislabeled from that time were Guns 'N Roses. For obvious reasons. Axl had a more diverse vocal range, Slash was more in tune with 60's rock and blues, and Duff and Izzy were more punk sounding than anything else.

But Maiden, despite having cool album covers (I remember having a Tailgunner shirt and poster), are hair metal.

As for the Maiden girl cover band, with the exception of the 2 on the right...gag me. Well, with the right beer goggles prescription maybe. Even the 2 on the right I'd give a 6 tops. As for talented or not, I couldn't say as I've never heard them however if they're playing swap meets, that's generally not a good sign.

On a different note, I'm listening to a lot of Merzbow and Boom Boom Satellites lately. Seems like the Japanese music scene is so much more ecclectic and just flat out better the past few years. Everything in America seems to be Emo, R+B/Rap, pop or recycled metal.

Edited by Excillon

I just got season 4 of the BSG soundtracks... really loving it.

I'm so glad they changed composers from Richard Gibbs to Bear McCreary for the actual tv series.

Probably the best of the BSG Sounds tracks including "Kara Remembers". Definitely a must buy CD.

Since my music runs from, Metallica, RUSH, KISS, U2, QUEEN, Pink Floyd and so on, Somehow I got back into Blink-182 as well! B))

Personally I liked South Park's lampooning of this very subject...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103759

Yeah, that was a great episode. I remember the gist of what Stan and Kyle had to say about the whole thing at the end of the episode. Great bands make money when fans pay to go see them perform. People are always going to find a way to get the music for free.

I thought it's been revealed that musicians don't make alot of money from CD sales. Only the labels do. So, it was pretty overzealous of Metallica to take on Napster personally instead of letting the labels deal with it. I doubt they were really hurt financially from Napster. I mean if they were relying on record sales alone, why bother touring?

That happened to me with "Philosophy of the World" by The Shaggs.

Except for me, I kept loaning it out and never getting it back...the third time I bought it, I stopped lending it to people, and just made them tapes of it instead.

i lost metallica cds before, had to buy master of puppets twice, and can't bloody find my Justice cd! Dammit Guld! :lol:

I wonder what Gunsly (sp?) was like as a band?? Can't remember the name of the cd Guld kept of Isamu, but must have been good to piss Isamu off enough.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Yeah, that was a great episode. I remember the gist of what Stan and Kyle had to say about the whole thing at the end of the episode. Great bands make money when fans pay to go see them perform. People are always going to find a way to get the music for free.

I thought it's been revealed that musicians don't make alot of money from CD sales. Only the labels do. So, it was pretty overzealous of Metallica to take on Napster personally instead of letting the labels deal with it. I doubt they were really hurt financially from Napster. I mean if they were relying on record sales alone, why bother touring?

It might be that Lars and James finally got enough clout to get a bigger percentage of the record sales. I guess that's why Lars raised so much hell when the Napster sh!t hit the fan.

Probably the best of the BSG Sounds tracks including "Kara Remembers". Definitely a must buy CD.

Since my music runs from, Metallica, RUSH, KISS, U2, QUEEN, Pink Floyd and so on, Somehow I got back into Blink-182 as well! B))

My favorite track is still violence and variations from the season 3 soundtrack.

Minmay songs, LITTLE RIVER BAND, LEVEL 42, the original BUBBLEGUM CRISIS soundtracks... pretty much exclusively 1970's and 1980's Pop, Soft Rock, Ballads/Power Ballads, J-Pop and Anime music... ( :wub: Minmay Songs... Kyun, Kyun!! :wub: )

Edited by Shaorin

I say we send everyone here to "The Twilight Zone". :p I can't resist a Golden Earring reference.

White Lion also has some good tracks, their debut Pride being their best work.

In my opinion, anyone who doesn't like Led Zepplin should report immediately to the local flight surgeon for intense therapy.

Quiet Riot was also very good, too bad about thier bad luck (they lost one former member when he crashed in a plane touring with Ozzy, and another member recently to I think heart failure; I'm not sure).

I say we send everyone here to "The Twilight Zone". :p I can't resist a Golden Earring reference.

White Lion also has some good tracks, their debut Pride being their best work.

In my opinion, anyone who doesn't like Led Zepplin should report immediately to the local flight surgeon for intense therapy.

Quiet Riot was also very good, too bad about thier bad luck (they lost one former member when he crashed in a plane touring with Ozzy, and another member recently to I think heart failure; I'm not sure).

White Lion: Hair metal...Quiet riot...more hair metal...and I hate Led Zepplin almost as much as Ozzy and Pink Floyd. The bands you mentioned are a little too "Wayne's world" for me.

Changed it up a bit this weekend...listened to old school Ministry, Puppy, FLA, 242, TKK and KMFDM. Very 80's industrial weekend, I think I went through the entire Wax Trax catalog!

• 2 weeks later...
Changed it up a bit this weekend...listened to old school Ministry, Puppy, FLA, 242, TKK and KMFDM. Very 80's industrial weekend, I think I went through the entire Wax Trax catalog!

Weird, same here. I Loaded 7 Industrial mix cd's onto my Ipod last week. I made the mixes about 8 years ago. Good stuff, 56 songs total.

Hmm, I guess I'm all over the map. Listening choices include [various selections from] but not limited to:

AC/DC

B.B. King

Blue Oyster Cult - Godzilla

Booker T and the MG's

Cab Calloway

Ray Charles

Chevelle

Chuck Berry

Phil Collins

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Foo Fighters

Benny Goodman [love Swing, Swing, Swing]

Al Green

Marvin Gaye

Gustav Holtz - The Planets [love that one]

Jerry Lee Lewis

Jeru The Damaga

KRS One

Led Zeppelin

Linkin Park

Little Richard

Muddy Waters

Prince

Queen

Radiohead

Rolling Stones

Tchaikovsky [okay, the obvious: 1812 Overture]

Barry White

ZZ Top

and more recently, Muse. Take a Bow kinda reminds me of Queen's score for the campy Flash Gordon flick from the 80's [childhood fav]. Can hear a bit of Queen's influence in their sound, as well as a bit of Radiohead, I think.

I can listen to just about anything, A to Z.

Except country music.

I f'ing hate country music...

*edit* I suppose that isn't completely true; maybe a few by Jerry Reed, or Charlie Daniels' The Devil Went Down To Georgia. Otherwise... <_< *haaaaggggkk* *ptooh*