music

wyaxyz

For some reason, this week, I've been obsessively listening to the Stooges.

Really up there as one of the greatest bands ever, especially on "Fun House." HEAVIEST. ALBUM. EVER. B))

Is that the best entry point for the Stooges? Just out of interest? Candy Apple Grey is a great entry point for Husker Du.

Taksraven

Is that the best entry point for the Stooges? Just out of interest?

DEAR GOD YES! Every home should have one.

Really, though, they only made three "proper" albums: The Stooges, Fun House, and Raw Power. The concensus is that Fun House is a classic, Raw Power is a great album, and The Stooges is flawed but worthwhile. All of them are worth owning, however.

Candy Apple Grey is a great entry point for Husker Du.

Agreed, although I think Zen Arcade is my favorite album of theirs.

For some reason, this week, I've been obsessively listening to the Stooges.

Really up there as one of the greatest bands ever, especially on "Fun House." HEAVIEST. ALBUM. EVER. B))

Can't go wrong with Iggy Pop.

Lou Reed "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"

Gold Earring "Twilight Zone"

Judas Priest "You've Got Another Thing Coming", "Green Menalishi"

Survivor "In the Burning Heart"

Journey "When the Lights Go Down in the City", "Wheel in the Sky", "Open Arms" (lord, there are a lot of good songs)

Foghat "Slow Ride"

Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water"

Cream "Sunshine of My Love", "White Room"

Mountain "Mississippi Queen"

Anyone see the original "Motza and Metal" on VH-1 Classic? Seeing Scott Ian Rosenfeld with the likes of Leslie West, John French Segall and Dee Snyder (the only non-Jew) was a riot.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Last played albums on my ipod are:

Muse: The Resistance (a bit of a step down from Black Holes and Revelations)

Sigur Ros (Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust)

and CD Japan just yesterday delivered Space Bio Charge from Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Datarock last night at the Metro. A good show at a good price. Very enjoyable. Just a bunch of guys from Norway in red tracksuits having some fun....

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...

Let me start off that my mom and dad usually watch Vietnamese soap operas on TV but got fed up with the channel's sporadic scheduling. So my dad ended up looking for and watching the series on the net. The wonders of the internet and youtube-esque sites.

Now my dad is listening to ABBA songs on youtube almost nonstop, and that means I'm listening to 'em too... I'm surprised I recognize some of these songs... but then again, I think I can figure out why.

Anyway, here's a cute vocaloid song to bring me back to the present:

and something completely different:

I usually think of myself having broad tastes, but it seems like what I usually listen to is oddly narrow...

Edited by shiroikaze

Just browsing today got me the new Alice In Chains album!!! Black Gives Way To Blue.

2009 released, that was out of the blue, i thought they were done and dusted and so far i think they sound fricken awesome.

I'm doing some research now into who is the new lead, they still sound like AinC. For christmas i got the MTV Unplugged dvd, the only item i was missing until now

, i've fit everything into my Alice In Chains Music Bank edition, all the albums, plus the Video bank which is my fav lol.

I see James, Kurt and Lars had a good influence on them, they were mentioned in the thankyou section. They must be huge fans of AinC (think they were at the Unplugged concert),

James was channelling or whatever u call it Layne (pic of him) when recording Death Magnetic. I find Layne's death as tragic, uncomfortably emotionally, sad and a big waste.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Alice in Chains' former frontman's name was Layne Statley (I think that's how you spell his last name).

Layne Staley was his name. Fantastic singer and lyricist, not only with Alice in Chains but also with Mad Season. A tragedy that he had to die the way he did...

Just browsing today got me the new Alice In Chains album!!! Black Gives Way To Blue.

2009 released, that was out of the blue, i thought they were done and dusted and so far i think they sound fricken awesome.

I'm doing some research now into who is the new lead, they still sound like AinC. For christmas i got the MTV Unplugged dvd, the only item i was missing until now

, i've fit everything into my Alice In Chains Music Bank edition, all the albums, plus the Video bank which is my fav lol.

I see James, Kurt and Lars had a good influence on them, they were mentioned in the thankyou section. They must be huge fans of AinC (think they were at the Unplugged concert),

James was channelling or whatever u call it Layne (pic of him) when recording Death Magnetic. I find Layne's death as tragic, uncomfortably emotionally, sad and a big waste.

Dude, they toured Australia last year!!! Did you miss them?? They were great!!

The new material is great as well. Usually when bands go through what these guys have they sound crap, but AIC still ROCKS!!!

Taksraven

Sweet, of course i missed out, i don't live in a capital that's why :p but no matter, i'll catch em later i guess. Did they play old favs or just new??? Theme Bones, loveit, Stree Fighter the animated movie got me into them actually. heh! same as KoRn

I love the Black Gives Way For Blue, such a nice tune, elton john did the piano, nice touch!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Sweet, of course i missed out, i don't live in a capital that's why :p but no matter, i'll catch em later i guess. Did they play old favs or just new??? Theme Bones, loveit, Stree Fighter the animated movie got me into them actually. heh! same as KoRn

I love the Black Gives Way For Blue, such a nice tune, elton john did the piano, nice touch!

A total mixture of old and new. And the new stuff sounded great up against the old. Which town do you live in, BTW??

Taksraven

A few Nazereth.

"Love Hurts"

"Hair of the Dog" (good riff and exellent chorus).

One from The Animals

"House of the Rising Sun"

Steppenwolf

"Born to be Wild"

"Magic Carpet Ride"-who can ever forget that NASCAR game's "Cyber Dale" commercial?

• 2 weeks later...

ZZ Top

"I Thank You"

Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings

"Lucanbach, Texas"

Billy Squier

"She's All Right"

"Lonely is the Night"

Fire, Inc.

"Tonight is What it Means to be Young"-From the "Streets of Fire" Soundtrack

Celine Dion

"It's all Coming Back to Me Now"

Meat Loaf

"I Would do Anything for Love (But I Won't do That)" (I think both videos for this song and the one above were directed by the same guy)

"Life is a Lemon, and I Want My Money Back"

Andrew W. K. (Gotta love a guy who would hit himself in the face with a brick just for an album cover shoot)

"I Love New York City"

"Party Hard"

Andrew W. K. (Gotta love a guy who would hit himself in the face with a brick just for an album cover shoot)

"I Love New York City"

"Party Hard"

Yeah, but then to make sure that in the album itself every second word is "party"??

Taksraven

Gotta add some Cream. Damn, can Clapton play or what?

"White Room"

"Sunshine of my Love"- I think Judd Nelson did this riff as John Bender in the scene of "The Breakfast Club" at the point when he has to take a piss.

Ah, well, gotta add more Clapton.

"Layla"-During his stint with Duane Allman in Derek and the Dominos

Some solo stuff

"After Midnight"-Eighties version

"Tears in Heavan"

Edited by Wanzerfan

"White Room"

"Sunshine of my Love"- I think Judd Nelson did this riff as John Bender in the scene of "The Breakfast Club" at the point when he has to take a piss.

Ah, well, gotta add more Clapton.

"Layla"-During his stint with Duane Allman in Derek and the Dominos

Some solo stuff

"After Midnight"-Eighties version

"Tears in Heavan"

The Yardbirds > any other band Clapton ever played with.

"White Room"

Got a live version of "White Room" played by Cream.

Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton. Talk about 3 musicians at the absolute top of their powers!

• 2 weeks later...

Going to the Soundwave Festival today (yay)

Headliners are Jimmy Eat World, Placebo, Paramore, Jane's Addiction and FAITH NO MORE!! HELL YEAH!!

See ya in the 'pit.

Taksraven

Take a good look, people:

post-939-1266710139_thumb.png

Today, this gif led me to seek out my first ever glimpse into the world of Korean pop.

I'm sorry...I'll never do it again.

Is that a guy, Gubaba?

Taksraven