yamato vs toynami

kaiotheforsaken

I still can find some good points in Toynami valks :

• hands are better shaped, sized and articulated than the default 1/48 hands, and they still slide inside the arms (although the Yamato SPs feature additional non-articulated hands that beat both)
  • Toynami valks are easier to transform into all 3 modes than 1/48s (although they tend to be quite floppy)
  • SP Toynami valks come with a good wealth of accessories (more than Yamato's 1/60s).

Actually, between Toynami's MPC and Yamato's 1/60, I'm not quite sure which one disappointed me most. :angry:

Of course, my 1/48 settled the argument quickly. :)

Edited by JonL

• hands are better shaped, sized and articulated than the default 1/48 hands, and they still slide inside the arms (although the Yamato SPs feature additional non-articulated hands that beat both)
  • Toynami valks are easier to transform into all 3 modes than 1/48s (although they tend to be quite floppy)
  • SP Toynami valks come with a good wealth of accessories (more than Yamato's 1/55s).

Actually, between Toynami's MPC and Yamato's 1/55, I'm not quite sure which one disappointed me most. :angry:

Of course, my 1/48 settled the argument quickly. :)

I'm sure the yamato 1/55 disappoint you as they don't exist. :p

thats my only real gripe, well that and those fruit cake rave boxes yamato put out for instead of the classy black ones.

thats the best description I've heard for the box art.

they look like those goddamn photoshop-filter-overloaded rave flyers with the greasy/too glossy paper.. :lol:

Edited by Panzer

• 7 months later...

Great pics! I think it is pretty much a given that Yamato is far superior to Toynami. It is a good point though that is it really worth the price difference. (150$ vs. 50$) My vote goes for Yamato though.

I haven't had the chance to look at or play with a Toynami alpha. Are they worth buying? What do you guys think?

one of those pictures you are comparing a takatoku ben in fighter mode to a 1/60 that is not a toynami the chunky monkeys where not as acurate looking as a mpc it is far more durable.

and aside from the fact that yammies are better. what people are in a sence duing is going to boston and saying to the locals that the redsox suck. and comparing them to the montreal expos.

The question about the Toynami alpha should really be deferred to the MPC thread since that's what it's mostly about. Lots of opinions and pics stated throughout. Lots of folks think they're garbage, I like 'em despite the fact I've had to return three of them (and I haven't heard anything about the last one I sent in for three weeks now).

Where's the HCM CF?

My collection is far from complete... and that's one of the little bugger's that's managed to allude me thus far. I feel kinda bad, I have one picture that has all the fighter modes in one jpeg but it's apparently too big for MW and that's why I had to split it up here. It makes it a lot harder to compare them :( I also have one pic that is all the battloid shots (front, side, back) but that was obviously too large also.

Did someone say something about VF-1Ss?

The Yammy 1/60, IMHO, is the worst 1S out there. Sure, it's got detail over the chunky variations but that head is sooooo damn ugly I can't get by it. Photo'd here is the 1990 Bandai VF-1S which previously had the ugliest 1S head before Yamato took the crown. At some point I'll have to add the taka VF-1S for comparison also.

post-2677-1129521203_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenius

didnt I say 1/48?....ehem-2...

as for the alpha...well, the toy is great, but the materials they use are crappy to the point that countless QC issues had been found even in a single toy forum (macrossworld). If they can switch from using crappy plastic to ABS plastic, and make the toy a little bit bigger, say, at 1/48, I believe thay'd stand still in the toy market (plus with their license on mospeada etc.-2).

however, at the moment, they still sucks :lol:

Edited by aaajin

• SP Toynami valks come with a good wealth of accessories (more than Yamato's 1/60s).

Actually, between Toynami's MPC and Yamato's 1/60, I'm not quite sure which one disappointed me most.  :angry:

Of course, my 1/48 settled the argument quickly.  :)

266905[/snapback]

-toynami valks do not come with more accessores than the Yamato 1/60,, in reality it's the other way around. on top of that yamato 1/60 also have a Strike VF-1s package and GBP armor package. And the 1/60 is also more postable.

And wow this thread is being brought up 6 months later?

Yeah, but you knew it was only a matter of time before a thread identical to this was spawned by some newb who didn't realize there was a search function.

I've been immersed in my collection lately (putting some in storage, selling others, rearranging displays) so I decided to do a review as I went through 'em all. The thing that got me really going was how bad the MPC's intakes are in fighter mode. If you compare the Taka it actually has a better looking fighter mode than the MPC!

So we all know the 1/48 is goregeous but the 1/60 is horrible and I say SHAME on anyone who ever recommended this thing while simultaneously bad-mouthing the Toynami. Both of these toys deserve equal bad-mouthing. The later edition 1/60s started picking it up a bit (collapsible gun stock instead of removable forearm pieces) but they still have screw covers that pop off constantly and absolutely craptastic GERWALK modes. In fact, on the 1/60s that came with armor the GERWALK is almost useless since the armor makes twisting the legs out impossible. The battloid mode with it's large leg gap and super pointy cod aren't all that great either. The MPC has about the same number of issues ranging for horrid fighter mode to extremely limited poseability (although it's more stable than the 1/60).

Hrm the banprestos should be included in the comparison imo. :D I think they look well proportioned even though they have barely any detail. I like that they are tall and thin and not chunky. (this is always how I imagine the valk to look like in robot mode to correspond to the fighter mode looking streamlined and thin.) Just don't look at them close and have them far away from the viewer where they can not be scrutinised. If high quality version was made of this (lets sy with all the gimmicks on bigger toys) I'd buy one.

1/60 is not perfect transformation. That is the main reason I'm not enthusiastic about it. And toynami look good but they need better QC for consistancy. I absolutely refuse to pay for something that has a good chance of breaking apart. Luckily I only got in during 1/48.

If the market wasn't so flooded with vf1, I might have bought a toynami just to try it out. But the horror stories, and competition has made it obsolete. I hope that when toynami get to the mospeada cyclones they improve the QC. (are they going to make these?)

Toynamis aren't that bad. If it weren't for their craptastic plastic, tiny heads, Popeye arems, chicken legs, funky nose profile, stepped-on fighter profile... wait a minute.. :blink:

I have one, so I can say this. On the plus side, with some home-fixes to the loose joints and some paint touch ups, they make good easy-to-transform toys that look better OVERALL than the chunky monkeys. It's too bad Toynami never achieved what the MPC was meant to be - a bigger better version of the Bandai HCM.

Edited by ghostryder

Jenius I definitely agree with you concerning the MPC and 1/60. I for one actually did like the VF-1 MPC's, and liked it better than the 1/60 as a toy. Aesthetically, hell no, but as a playable toy, yes. I thought the MPC was overpriced and had iffy quality on the 1st releases, had it been 40$ per volume AND had working ratchets on my Rick MPC, I would have liked it a lot more and I can guarantee it would have sold more and not had as much scorn. The 1/60 is a lot better aesthetically though and articulation wise, but again like you said, not as stable and I tired of my 1/60 hikaru's legs falling off all the time. Had there been a locking mechanism between the 2 hip joints, perhaps things would be a lot better. Aesthetically there is no contest though.

Now the 1./48....no comparison, the thing is majestic and awesome, I remember the day Noel saw it in person and told us what he thought, and how it dethroned the takatoku VF-1J as his fav toy. When I heard that, I was like WOW, this is something here!

So in the end kids, buy a 1/48 and kiss everything else goodbye, if you need just 1. Me I like variety, so I've got VF-1s from all 3 companies!(bandai, yammie, toynami).

OK, today I received my VF-1A masterpiece that I bought from jenius and I have got to say it is not near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It isn't as cool looking as my yamato 1a, but it is still a nice valkyrie. I was really expecting it to be a horrible crap valkyrie, but I was wrong. I still like the yamatos better but the masterpiece is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

IMO Toynami set themselves up for a fall right from the get go, by calling their toy a 'Masterpiece'.

If they had followed the 'truth in advertising' concept and instead named it something like "Substandard, Unoriginal, Crappy Knockoff Series", then we would probably all not be as critical of the toy as we are now :lol: .

Graham

Does anyone remember what the original retail price was on the 1/48s and the 1/60s?  I'm trying to determine the MSRP of my collection for self-loathing purposes.

337546[/snapback]

Don't go there, it's a painful experience. I could probably have put my kid through college twice, bought a Ferrari and be living in a huge mansion by now if not for my Macross obsession :D

Graham

From what I remember

1/48=14800 yen

337560[/snapback]

Really? Was this the MSRP of the first Yamato 1/48 scale VF-1A Hikaru?

337609[/snapback]

I thought it was around $110-120, I think.

337995[/snapback]

The YEN MSRP has always been 14800 YEN. The actual import price has fluctated due to the changing exchange rates.

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

• 4 weeks later...
Yamato = Ferrari

Toynami = 1979 honda civvic with 600k miles.

266376[/snapback]

I find this funny. Toynami is american and made in china, yamato is either chinese or japanese and made in china hmm... how do you come up with a japanese car compared to an italian one ;)

Yamato = Acura

Toynami = Chevy

maybe that'd work a lil better :p Problem is, honda makes good cars that CAN last that long with proper maintenance.

Edited by amptor

Yamato = Ferrari

266376[/snapback]

I find this funny. Toynami is american and made in china, yamato is either chinese or japanese and made in china hmm... how do you come up with a japanese car compared to an italian one ;)

Yamato = Acura

Toynami = Chevy

maybe that'd work a lil better :p Problem is, honda makes good cars that CAN last that long with proper maintenance.

345805[/snapback]

don't insult chevy. Ford maybe, but chevy :huh:

would bandai be volvo? Boxy but good :lol:

Yamato = Ferrari

266376[/snapback]

Yamato = Acura

Toynami = Chevy

345805[/snapback]

don't insult chevy. Ford maybe, but chevy :huh:

would bandai be volvo? Boxy but good :lol:

345813[/snapback]

Ah I dunno man, imo ford makes better stuff. I haven't had any problem with the contour whatsoever, still running strong. Same with the F-150XLT.

But back on topic, I think the very last valk I bought, I got for somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-$29 shipped off ebay. Someone in SF was selling a few valks off and I snagged one. I was truely blown away by the price. This was a VF-1A movie version Hikaru. The first real valk I ever owned was the same, but cost me about $80 shipped from robozone which I felt was fair at the time. I guess that just shows to keep checking ebay and you can get a good deal. I noticed the super-o doesn't cost as much as the vf-1d. Interesting.. I just wish the super-o was moulded more to be displayed with or without its armors.