JMS Offers To Do Star Trek

Doktor Gonzo

Honestly I would love to see a Star Trek series done by him but I wonder if it would like. Babylon 5 is my favorite SciFi series, above Star Wars to be honest. I agree, if its him, they shoudl be calling him right away.

Let him start off with a few TV movies if a series might be to risky.

Edited by Effect

This would only work if the gave JMS complete control over the franchise... JMS has a habit of getting prima donna and leaving stuff hanging if he doesn't get what he wants.

Which is what I would give him if I were paramount... dump berman and get JMS on board.

Star Trek has had it's days in the sun. It is time it took a rest.

I tend to agree with JMS's speculation about Trek... it's not tired and done to death. It just hasn't been done as Trek ought to be done. I don't feel a great need or desire to watch any of the series since TNG. But I still find myself lamenting everytime a new series comes out that it's not more in the flavor of the original series or TNG. They still haven't done Sulutrek, ie. Star Trek:Excelsior. I say they get on the ball before Sulu completely decomposes.

-Al

They still haven't done Sulutrek, ie. Star Trek:Excelsior. I say they get on the ball before Sulu completely decomposes.

I agree, they may be better off going back to the Enterprise-A era. I wouldn't mind seeing another ship from that era with cameos from the original crew, like Commodore Sulu or Doctor Chappel. Heck, there's a big excuse to big Kirk back right there.

I tend to agree with JMS's speculation about Trek... it's not tired and done to death. It just hasn't been done as Trek ought to be done.

I agree with you on that, but I think the fan base needs some time to forget about the last few incarnations so that when a new Trek series starts, it will be fresh in the viewers mind as well. Not adding on to an already near 20yr long run of consistently less interesting stories. I think that the viewers need a 10 to 15 year rest from it as well.

If you are sick of eating cheap frozen pizzas for the last week, are you really going to eat a high quality right after? Or are you going to go on to a different dish & then come back when you can appreciate the qaulity pizza more?

Why would the powers that be at Paramount hire JMS when they usually just steal his ideas for free?

JMS also withdrew the idea just a day later.

Actually...belay everything I just said.

In the 24 hours between the time I composed the prior note, and sent

it, and it made its way through the moderation software, two things

happened:

1) I heard from a trusted source that Paramount is giving the Trek TV

world a rest for maybe one to two years, depending on circumstances, no

matter who would come along to run it. So it's not right to have folks

putting in time doing something that ultimately would be pointless, I

don't think that's a proper use of anybody's time.

2) At the same time as the above, an offer came in to run a new TV

series for fall of '06, and since there's no way anything Trek can

happen in the interim, I've said yes (now we have to negotiate the

deal, but that should be fairly straightforward).

So on two counts, the whole thing is kind of moot.

We can reconvene a year or two down the road to see where this takes

us, but in the interim...my apologies for waking everybody up in the

middle of the night.

As you were.

Thanks and with great chagrinedness --

jms

Read the first reply, it is from JMS, creator of Babylon 5

Is this for real? Someone who actually has talent and clout and sci-fi cred wants to save trek? Not those B&B hacks? If it's true, Paramount should be calling him right about.....now.

It's probably wishful thinking and with the politics in the studios, it's a long shot.

Letting sit fallow is a good/bad idea.

Good because it let's people have a breather from Trek in general.

Bad because if they do bring it back in the next 3 years it'll be in direct competition with the upcoming Star Wars show.

The Ugly, because the net SF sites will be swamped with ST vs SW fanboys and the cosplayers at the Cons will go nuts!

Letting sit fallow is a good/bad idea.

Good because it let's people have a breather from Trek in general.

Bad because if they do bring it back in the next 3 years it'll be in direct competition with the upcoming Star Wars show.

The Ugly, because the net SF sites will be swamped with ST vs SW fanboys and the cosplayers at the Cons will go nuts!

Imagine the carnage and glorious chaos a renewed Trek vs. Wars would bring though.

Angry debates.

Cospayers scowling at each other.

Camcorder material.

hmm i can see arnold as a trek captain. he will mash all the alien races into one super race then single handly fling them into the sun then he turns to the camera, takes out the cigar out of his mouth and say "looks like your star struck" then sets out to wonder the galaxy to grope alien women cuz they all love muscles that can bend the whatever supermetals the star trek/wars nerds have tought of.

Remember, JMS started writing for The Real Ghostbusters Cartoon (horrible episodes at that!) and maybe some Captain Power?

IIRC, he was also heavily involved with the animation of Spiral Zone. My only question is... was his involvement with it akin to Macek's w/ Robotech (ie - grafting English script onto existing Japanese animation) or was Spiral Zone created especially for the U.S. market by Tonka? its been so long, I can hardly recall the series, but I do know some pretty sweet toys came out for Spiral Zone in Japan... esp the Monoseed.

As for JMS and Trek... it would be interesting, but I'd rather he pursue his own muse. Trek needs to lay fallow for a few years methinks. If Paramount turfs B&B and gives the franchise a breather it will be for the best. Trek, as it stands currently, has gotten horribly sidetracked from GR's original vision.