MasterPiece Collection v1.1

Dangard Ace

Did anyone else hear anything about Toynami is re-releasing the MPC vol.3 Roy ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5980169669&rd=1

According to what the person said it is the remainder of the original 15,000 units. Is this BS or is he on the up and up.

MPC Roy is been reissued in order to complete the production of 15,000. BBTS and VE are accepting preorder.

Edited by JoLe727

I was pretty excited when I first heard Toynami was making a shadow alpha but looking at it now, it looks plain. I think they could of used better colors. Like the others, it will probably look much better with all the stickers on. I still plan on getting one but not for no $80.

Even if it didn't have markings, I think there are some basic details that are on the stickers.... could be wrong tho.

Some of the pictures of the drone show "REF" Markings on the legs, as well as other small details. Of course, said pictures are from the RPG (and I cannot locate any TV-series sourced images of the Shadow.)

These, of course, are in the same light grey as its shoulders and whatnot.

well i haven't stickered up any of mine and they look like crap. the pics i've seen with stickers applied make the alphas look like 1000 times better.

Yea, exactly. Hell, even if it's not precisely accurate to have markings on a stealth, well, we are dealing with transforming robots. Aesthetics are really about all that matters considering realism was long ago out the window.

I guess under whelmed is the best way to describe my initial reaction to the shadow Alpha's execution. It's not that it looks that bad, but that it looks so unimpressive. :(

I'll eventually pick one of these up for completion's sake, but not at anything nearing full price <_< ; and I'm sure that it will look a lot better all dolled up with stickers, just like all of it's tarmac mates.

Given that, just like macross, mospeada's mechas have very little in the way of logos and other signage illustrated in the animations themselves, and that such detail only really appears in secondary sources or in the model renditions, I don't see a fully stickered Alpha, even the shadow, as being outside of canon. Besides, as has been mentioned before, aesthetics is one of the paramount requisites in this subject matter.

Well, I have gotten over the lack of this particular variant's accuracy...my copy leaves me a bit disappointed.

Although none of these Alphas have been worth $80, I was pretty happy with the first three.

But my shadow just doesn't seem to fit together well. There is nothing I can quite put my finger on as a particular problem...the whole thing just isn't doesn't go together that well.

The arched back problem is more prominent than on my others. It is impossible to stand it up so it doesn't look lame. The arms cannot be completely compacted AND fit into the leg holes in fighter mode. Plus, the stickers are not totally transparent which makes them look cheap (this was much less of a problem on the other, lighter alphas).

Overall, I'm glad to have it...but mine (#1832) is pretty poor quality, considering the wait and cost.

I guess the catch all phase "Toynami strikes again" pretty much sums up the end result of the whole Alpha MPC line. I shudder to think just how craptacular an MPC cyclone would be: bad paint application, uneven assembly that causes the figure to have crooked extremities, bad fit, mediocre material choices, weak joints, the tendency to explode at the merest touch, and any other QC issues that I haven't mentioned...and all for just $79.99 MSRP...joy! :rolleyes:

I'd still like to get my hands on at least one Beta/Tread to go with the Alphas...what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. :p

What a piece of junk.

Looks more like a Hong Kong knockoff than a real product.

Ugh....I wonder if it's too late to change my order to something else at Kevin's...

Edited by myk

In my opinion, black or very dark toys have a real tendency to look lame in person and photograph even worse. I, for one, am expecting this Alpha to be just like the others I have. I can't imagine them somehow making it worse, and I don't see any reason why it would have been any better. I still defend the Alphas I have. Yeah, they could have been a million times better, just the same they're still the best Alpha that's been made to date... and I'm pretty sure I have every alpha/legioss in every variant that has been made to date (except the 1/55 green gakken triple changer).

Do you truly consider the MP Alphas to be the best version of the fighter, with all of the amorementioned flaws? If so, I just might reconsider purchasing the 'Shadow. I just can't get over that "broken back" look...A variable fighter needs to be straight and sleek, dammit!

How does the Destabilizer gun (or whatever) fit on the top in fighter mode? It would look bad ass with two regular guns on the wings as well :)

This looks to me exactly as expected. I'm glad they did something with the intake shape, too bad about the shoulders. Can't wait to get it!

Damn. I'm anxiously awaiting a detailed review on the 'Shadow. Aren't there more people that have this thing? Praise it, condemn it, just review it already! LOL

How does the Destabilizer gun (or whatever) fit on the top in fighter mode

There appears to be a hole on the reverse section of the crotch now where a piece of the destabilizer can fit into the back of the jet.

Do you truly consider the MP Alphas to be the best version of the fighter, with all of the amorementioned flaws?

The only other Alpha that even comes close is the 1/35 Gakken Alpha. Clearly it's the more sturdy toy and it's larger. The MPC has two major flaws:

1) Fit - you'll notice in several pictures the arms don't quite contract all the way in fighter mode or something just looks a little off somewhere. The tolerances weren't quite right when Toynami gave 'em the green light and as such you can find a flaw in the fit on pretty much every toy.

NOTE 1: The fit flaw is usually quite small and is typically quite easily over-looked.

NOTE 2: 99% of the time someone has an example of horrendous fit it's due to incomplete or incorrect transformation. This toy has Fit problems because it's really complicated and has many collapsing sections. All it takes is one small snag or one section not completely depressed to make the thing look horrible.

2) Build - Similar to fit but more serious. There are minor build quality issues such as slightly crooked heads and then there are major issues like fragile hands and loose joints. Some heads are more crooked than others, some have 100% tight joints, but all of them have fragile hands. If all the joints are tight, they can get loose... easily. In terms of build this thing doesn't hold a candle to the Gakken.

So, what if you get one that has tight limbs, a pretty straight head, and snaps together nice and tight? You get these positives:

1) Detail. The Gakken has almost none.

2) Poseability. The Gakken has almost none (not that the MPC is incredibly limber but it's better)

3) Useless stuff. A plastic chunk that's supposedly a folded cyclone and missile bays that open. Don't forget rubber wheels on the landing gears.

4) Diecast.

5) Accuracy. Okay, this is a little more questionable on the Shadow Fighter but there's no Gakken to compare it to anyway. The other Alphas look truer to the anime.

6) A gun that clips to the wing.

I just can't get over that "broken back" look

The sad thing about the Alpha is it's not a very sharp looker in fighter mode no matter what. That being said, you can really minimize how bad the arched back looks by transforming this thing properly (pain in the butt). If you manage that you'll also be able to put all the landing gears down with clearance for the chest. After that, there still is a bit of an illusion of an arch but you can only notice it from a dead side shot and it's not that noticeable...

Edits - Ugh, typos, grammar, and spelling problems galore, I think i fixed most...

post-26-1118902755_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenius