Transformers Thread 2

Dangard Ace

All I gotta say is "Woot!"

EDIT: And sizewse, I'd assume it's on the same size level, which obviosuly means it wont be toi scale, bc/ an F-18 and that size would be friggen absurd. It'll still be gorgeous at that size... and remeber, MP Convoy was amazing when it came out, and they've had alot of time to think about the good parts and bad parts since then and this toy will no doubt blow away MPC Convoy (but I'll still love him)

Edited by promethuem5

All I gotta say is "Woot!"

EDIT:  And sizewse, I'd assume it's on the same size level, which obviosuly means it wont be toi scale, bc/ an F-18 and that size would be friggen absurd.  It'll still be gorgeous at that size... and remeber, MP Convoy was amazing when it came out, and they've had alot of time to think about the good parts and bad parts since then and this toy will no doubt blow away MPC Convoy (but I'll still love him)

382355[/snapback]

So what do people think the features will be on this guy? The crown is already shown in the pics. I'm hoping for a fully detailed cockpit, nice landing gear and maybe special crumbling action :-p

IMHO most of those Energon/Armada etc designs are almost "SD" versions of those vehicles.  Yes, Cybertron Thundercracker looks like a Super Flanker.  But he's not a Flanker.  He's a kiddie-fied Flanker.  It's very much like the difference between a diecast model Honda S2000, and a BitCharg/Zip-Zap Honda S2000.  Or if you know what they are, egg planes and model planes.

Secondary rant:  Gimmicks are also messing up the vehicle-modes.  Working this, firing that.  Plus current safety laws make all those things big and oversized.  But that should be a different discussion.

My comment about Kawamori was purely about planes.  Kawamori makes sleek, cool transforming planes.  Takara makes "shuttle blobs with stubby wings".

MP Prime's truck mode is purely because they wanted robot mode to look a certain way--especially the legs.  Seriously, Prime has always possibly the easiest to do in real life, most plausible/perfect Transformation out there.  Stand up, swing out arms, flip up head.  His robot mode is a truck with legs.  He could have been the world's best diecast model Freightliner done to date---that also happened to transform.  But they wanted "Gundam Prime", and so truck mode suffered to make that happen.

382290[/snapback]

Ahh well, let's agree to disagree.

They wern't going for a Gundam Prime, they were going for an accurate cartoon representation of Prime in toy form, because Prime's torso in robot mode was dramatically different from his truck cab in vehicle mode. I think your gundam criticism comes from the skirt guards, yes?

Interestingly enough, one of the rejected MP Prime designs was by Don Figueroa, who had designed it to be, essentially a big, updated version of the original G1 Prime transformation, except with modern TF design elements, such as flip out hands, which, as he indicated on the sketch, was based upon Transmetal Optimus Primal's flip-out fists.

Skirt armor? Partially, but I personally find much of the legs to be more Gundamesque than he was animated. Check the feet and ankles, and all the pistons and joints. A minor leg thing that REALLY irks me are the fuel tanks. They're angled. Look at them from above. They're only attached straight (i.e. correctly) for that brief moment that you press them in to unlock the legs. It's almost like the whole mechanism was designed backwards. They should be straight 99% of the time, and briefly angled to unlock the legs.

I'm glad you brought up the flip-out fists like BW TM1 OP. If you've followed my posts at TFW2005 I expect to see that transformation element used for MP SS, but for the engine nozzles.

MP SS working features: (btw, it'd be about 32 inches long at 1/24 scale)

I doubt a working airbrake, due to the likely transformation scheme. Either the head or canopy are likely to pass through the area. (On the G1 the airbrake is half on each arm)

I bet the intakes move! If you notice, seekers in robot mode are almost always drawn with the intakes "opposite" of jet mode. The straight part is angled and the angled part is straight. (They are also fond of making the straight part curved). But anyways, that is actually easily accomodated by the real F-15's ability to change the angle of its intakes----all they have to do is like the real thing, and you can get that intake angle change in robot mode.

The drawing shows the wheels turning for retraction, but they show that for the nosewheel--which doesn't on the real thing. Either they've got it backwards, or they are turning the nosewheel to allow a smaller, more shallow gear bay. I'm very curious about how they'll do the legs, mainly because there's a lot of colors and bits and angles in robot mode, but it's smooth and featureless on the real F-15. I expect LOTS of flipping panels. Also a lot of that area is taken up by the main gear bays. I wouldn't be surprised if we get accurate nosegear, but almost G1-style main wheels. Though I can certainly imagine how they could do it "right", mainly by splitting the legs into front/rear halves, and lots of 180 twists.

Moving flaps/ailerons are pretty much a given, moving stabs are likely needed for the transformation itself (and exist on the G1 toy), moving rudders would be easy to do.

Likely--opening radome with radar---the nosecone's already almost certain to be a separate part. Though they may need the space for the radar instead for a complex folding mechanism/hinges, as I expect the nose to end up in the "spine" of the robot.

Likely--opening canopy. (And expected, since the G1 could do it) Who should the pilot be? :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

I just hope they find a way to make the bottom of the F-15 streamline on MP-03. The only problem I see are the "tits", which I think can be hidden in fighter mode if they flip upwards and become part of the intake. The rest of the transformation will likely improve upon the Robot Masters design, taking advantage of the larger scale to make make everything fit together better. It would be nice if the main gear deployed closer to the knees vs the feet.

Not sure I'm following the logic there. Even if the back of the head is obscured, they would have to mold it so long as it's a seperate piece. I'd guess the nosecone isn't directly attached to the back of the head. I'd even say it's fairly likely it folds down against Starscream's back.

This is assuming the transformation is similar to the original toy.

Well, if anything, the nosecone will be removable once. :p

Seriously though, i would expect that it either folds down the back or tucks away in some other fasion. Even the original Starscream could have had a folding nosecone with just a little more tooling.

im guessing there will be a cover for the arms...flip that open and fold the arms out like you do for the g1...then once the head is flipped into place, you can fold the nosecone down into the leftover arm hole and close the cover, hiding it completely.

looks to me like the wings hinge a bot too, so you fold them back, then out.

either way this sucker's going to be expensive...wonder how many repaints we'll see? I'd guess at least the main 3 jets, and then if the line continues being successful, dirge and ramjet a year or two later.

could be a custom, the dumptruck looks like another TF figure from a few years back.

chris

Not sure I'm following the logic there. Even if the back of the head is obscured, they would have to mold it so long as it's a seperate piece. I'd guess the nosecone isn't directly attached to the back of the head. I'd even say it's fairly likely it folds down against Starscream's back.

This is assuming the transformation is similar to the original toy.

382559[/snapback]

I figure the nose cone transformation will be kinda close to the robot master one.

0.o

What am i lookiing at here? Galaxy Force Devastator?

That the main robot for the new Sentai Show Boukenger repainted. Soon to be known as the next Power Rangers after PR Mystic Force.

382720[/snapback]

Are they supposed to be construction workers by day, and crime fightinging spandex wearing heroes by night? :lol:

THanks for the info DangardAce and Greyryder.