Kevin/Hamill Involved In Star Wars TV?

EXO

http://www.newsaskew.com/includes/feature....co&style=single

Kevin Smith and Mark Hamill are doing the pilot for a new weekly Star Wars series. It'll feature Hamill as Skywalker in a 'pop up now and then' role, but mostly, it's new characters, set in the same world as the films.Lots of talk about it here, but don't expect anything until Episode III is out. Its a go project, but I don't think there's much on it yet.

I wouldn't mind the X-wing series being made in a show or something similar. Just as long as it isn't that god awful New Jedi Order series. Hell even the publish all but admits it wasn't real Star Wars. They said in a statment on the TheForce.net forums that for the novels after the NJO they would be getting "back" to stories and novels that are Star Wars in terms of story and style and theme. Finally admiting once the NJO series was over that it wasn't Star Wars. Which is true. Most if not all of the NJO went completely against the spirit of all the movies. The series was so far removed from the space opera Star Wars was that it drove a good deal of EU novel fans away. This can be seen from the drop in sales of the NJO novels with each novel released. It kept going down and down. Usually Star Wars novel stayed on best seller list for a while. Most of the novels in the NJO series only stayed for a week or two or didn't place at all or were at the very bottom of the list before finally falling off after a week. That wasn't so before. And they stayed less and less as the NJO series went on or just didn't place. DR finally owns up to the mess that the NJO was. A part of the Star Wars universe that was marred with horrible writing when it came to characters, logic, common sense, filled with shock value and ignored past novels. Hell they killed off their best character(best writing, etc) just for the sake of shaking things up. Majority of the story was made up as they went along even though they lie and say it was greatly planned out. The managing of events and characters in the novels and not being able to adapt from canceled novels shows this.

Looks like I've gone on to long. As long as it isn't NJO based or has that bitch Mara Jade I think the TV show should be decent.

Edited by Effect

Yeah when the character of Mara was suppose to be in her 20s. She'd be in her 40s by the time of the Young Jedi Knight series. That might be a better choice for a series if Luke is suppose to appear once in a while since that is how he is in those series of novels. And most likely a TV series will be aimed at kids and teens so having young teens as the characters would be the best bet. At leas I would assume it would be aimed at young viewers but as a result adults would enjoy it. Just how the movies were aimed at all all ages. I'd expect a TV series to be aimed at all ages, more of the younger viewers then adults so they could market toys, etc. If that were the case then Mara the Queen B wouldn't even appear since she isn't in that series. At least that I can recall but its been a few years since I've read the series.

There are also the Junior Jedi Knight series as well but that focuses on Anakin Solo while the Young Jedi Knights focus on Jacen and Jaina Solo and their friends. Either way Luke does only have cameos once in a while.

No wait I've got it, "Jay and Silent Bob, Jedi Knights"

Then maybe we can get Master Replica bongsabers. :lol:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Jedi? They're a bunch of panty-waisted do-gooders. They're like the Mormons of outer space. :rolleyes:

No wait I've got it, "Jay and Silent Bob, Jedi Knights"

Then maybe we can get Master Replica bongsabers. :lol:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Jedi? They're a bunch of panty-waisted do-gooders. They're like the Mormons of outer space. :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm with you. Dark Side all the way.

Well, it wouldn't be Star Wars without somebody with a lightsaber, but I'd really rather see a show about more of a "one the fringe" kind of character, and definately NOT a NJO story, and NOT an X-Wing or Rogue Squadron show.

I have a gut feeling that this will be a teeny bopper drama series....u know..like teens at school....how life sucks....big bully with dual light sabers at the Jedi Academy....how the Solo twins whoop his ass....etc.

Think Smallville and prepubescnent Superman. :lol:

http://www.newsaskew.com/includes/feature....co&style=single
Kevin Smith and Mark Hamill are doing the pilot for a new weekly Star Wars series. It'll feature Hamill as Skywalker in a 'pop up now and then' role, but mostly, it's new characters, set in the same world as the films.Lots of talk about it here, but don't expect anything until Episode III is out. Its a go project, but I don't think there's much on it yet.

Heyyy ,,nice SMITHS lyrics !!!

that joke is'nt funny anymore........ :)

sorry for dubbble post :rolleyes:

Edited by Feyd-Rautha

If this wasn't coming from Kevin Smith's site, I'd call "bullshit" on this. But since it is...? I dunno what to make of this. The comment that Luke would 'pop up now and then' reminds me of a comment Lucas once made, long ago, about the "what if" Episodes 7, 8 and 9. The idea was that it would follow Luke rebuilding the Jedi order, and the difficulties therin. Now if you throw a bunch of fresh faced 20-something actors intot he mix with Luke in the occasional "Obi Wan" role, it could actually work.

yeah, you'll say that until Master Windu steps up and opens a can on ya.... ;)

Meh... there's no problem that can't be solved with a good blaster and a small army of droids. ;)

i thought alot higher of jedi before the preqels..now..the dork factor is impossible too ignore :(

in the old flicks they were mysterious and cool..

now they are dorky do-gooders with cardboard personalities :angry:

which makes me..mad,mad,mad! :angry::angry::angry:

i thought alot higher of jedi before the preqels..now..the dork factor is impossible too ignore :(

in the old flicks they were mysterious and cool..

now they are dorky do-gooders with cardboard personalities :angry:

which makes me..mad,mad,mad! :angry::angry::angry:

What irks me is the whole only two sith at a time rule. I mean how does an entire army of super-space-samurai-mormons get annihilated by two dudes. <_<

What irks me is the whole only two sith at a time rule. I mean how does an entire army of super-space-samurai-mormons get annihilated by two dudes. <_<

The '2 Sith only' rule bugs me as well. We had a discussion about this in one of the other SW threads recently and I think the conclusion we reached was that although there are only 2 Sith at any one time, there can be more dark Jedi, they just can't call themselves 'Sith'.

What the exact difference is between a Sith and a bog-standard Jedi who has turned to the dark side is, nobody seems to be sure.

Also, I'm not sure if there is anything actually preventing a dark Jedi on planet 'A' from declaring himself a Sith even when there are already 2 Sith on planet 'B'?

Graham

Also, I'm not sure if there is anything actually preventing a dark Jedi on planet 'A' from declaring himself a Sith even when there are already 2 Sith on planet 'B'?

Simply calling yourself a "Sith" won't actually make you one. Heck, I could call a press conference tomorrow and announce that I'm the President of the United States, but it obviously wouldn't be true.

Well, just from the movies, there can be more than 2 sith at a time.. certainly count douku was running around at the same time as darth maul, both under the emperor... I always thought the idea was that the sith's thirst for power would eventually lead them to kill one another off in an attempt to be the 1 student of the 1 master sith.

Simply calling yourself a "Sith" won't actually make you one. Heck, I could call a press conference tomorrow and announce that I'm the President of the United States, but it obviously wouldn't be true.

That's not really a fair comparison. The US President has the whole government & military behind him to support him. If you are the Sith Master, you've got er......one apprentice backing you up, that's it.

And as there's only two of them, they'd have a hard time enforcing their dominance, if say a dozen other dark Jedi of similar power level suddenly decided that they wanted to call themselves Sith as well.

This would make a great Monty Python type sketch IMO: -

Upstart Sith: "We're Sith now".

Real Sith: "No you're not, we are".

Upstart Sith: "No we are"

Real Sith: "Sod off, you can't be Sith!" "Don't you know the rule says only 2 at one time, a master and apprentice".

"Upstart Sith: Says who?"

Real Sith: "Says we"

Upstart Sith: "You and who's army?"

So what actually makes a Sith a Sith? What's special about them? How do they actually become Sith apart from one day just declaring "right, we're Sith" :lol: .

Graham

And as there's only two of them, they'd have a hard time enforcing their dominance, if say a dozen other dark Jedi of similar power level suddenly decided that they wanted to call themselves Sith as well.

But they still wouldn't be Sith. They'd just be a bunch of Sith Poseurs. Which is what I was trying to point out. There's world of difference between actually being something and arbitrarily naming yourself something.

Well, just from the movies, there can be more than 2 sith at a time.. certainly count douku was running around at the same time as darth maul, both under the emperor... I always thought the idea was that the sith's thirst for power would eventually lead them to kill one another off in an attempt to be the 1 student of the 1 master sith.

It's unclear when exactly Dooku crossed over, but your main point is correct. The Sith do tend to destroy each other. Case in point: The original trilogy. Both Palpatine and Vader wanted to turn Luke so that they could in turn kill the other Sith.

Well, I'll watch anthing, I feel TV is Sci-Fi starved. I like that Mark Hamill might be invloved. Obviously, he's a tad older than he was in 1985... so prequels are out. I hope it is in that time frame as oposed to episodes 1~3.

Fat chance Harrison Ford would have anything to do with it. Every vibe I ever saw from him since the late 90's is that he wants nothing to do with it anymore. He's a 'serious' actor and would never lower himself to TV or Star Wars.

Anyway, hope it's good...

That's not really a fair comparison. The US President has the whole government & military behind him to support him. If you are the Sith Master, you've got er......one apprentice backing you up, that's it.

This would make a great Monty Python type sketch IMO: -

Upstart Sith: "We're Sith now".

Real Sith: "No you're not, we are".

Upstart Sith: "No we are"

Real Sith: "Sod off, you can't be Sith!" "Don't you know the rule says only 2 at one time, a master and apprentice".

"Upstart Sith: Says who?"

Real Sith: "Says we"

Upstart Sith: "You and who's army?"

So what actually makes a Sith a Sith? What's special about them? How do they actually become Sith apart from one day just declaring "right, we're Sith" :lol: .

Graham

That's exactly why the "Rule of 2" was put in in the first place. The Sith were pretty badass on their own, but political infighting and petty bickering (by Dark Force users, no less) kept their numbers a manegable number.

But once they started duking it out with the Jedi, they were fighting wars on two or more fronts, while the Jedi were unanimous in their desire to win. Each time the Sith went to war with the Jedi (which happend on two massive occasions), they were finally beat back because they weren't standing together as one. They divided themselves, and the Jedi would eventually conquer.

Enter Darth Bane, who finally had a lightbulb go off over his head. With the Galactic Republic expanding and absobing those worlds that used to belong to the Sith Lords, Bane realized that there was very few placed he and the other Lords could run to to rebuild their strength. Bane decided that the safest place to be was up close and personal with the Jedi, and that there could be no infighting to destabalize them this time.

He instituted the rule of 2 so that there would be NO bickering between contentious Lords. Instead of standing up and trying to take the Jedi head-on, Bane decided that stealth and treachery were the true skills of the Sith. So for the next upteen thousands of years, there were only TWO people who could lay claim to the title of Sith and the name of Darth. If someone else wanted in, one of the existing Lords had to be... "gone", if you get my drift.

And it worked. For at least a millenium, the Jedi Order (who were cocooning themselves in an Ivory Tower) thought that the Sith were gone forever, while they were actually slowly and carefully preserving their teachings, one generation to the next. That's why the council was so shocked at Darth Maul's presence.

Y'know, the Emperor really had to be laughing his ass off on a daily basis. Yoda, Windu, Kenobi and the rest regularly had audiences with him and never suspect who he really was. The most powerful Dark Side user of that generation, who had been manipulating events for decades... and they never even guessed. Oh, he really did have to be laughing about that.

Anyway, back on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing something set in the Jedi Academy (NOT the NJO, though), but as long as it doesn't deal with the Solo kids. They've had their book and screen time, so why go back to them for more of the same? Go with some new kids so we can come to enjoy watching them on their own merits, not on the basis of their last name.

EDIT:

I totally forgot. It wasn't really the Sith Lords (Sideous and Vader) who destroyed the Jedi. Yes, they actually did the killing deeds and all the hacky slashy stuff, but it was how the Emperor turned the people of the Republic against them that really did the Jedi in. Gotta remember that by the time of the prequels, the Jedi aren't really well-thought of. They took their initiates from their families before the children were even six months old, regardless of what the parents might have to say. Force-sensitive? The Jedi stole them for their own uses. And to say that the Jedi had an attitude would be putting it mildly. Look back at Episode II. They go into the cantina, nearly start a gun fight, lop someone's arm off... and casually order everyone to go back to their drinks and forget it ever happened.

Sure, Sideous and Vader did the bad stuff; but the Jedi were really killed by the lack of faith by the public.

EDIT EDIT:

Once again, I totally forgot. What makes a Sith a Sith? That's a toughie to answer, especially since both they and the Jedi use the Force. It's more than a simple philisophical difference. It's sort of like asking what's different about a bi-plane and an F-22 Raptor. Sure, they both use wings and thrust to fly, but there's a WORLD of difference between the two.

I would imagine that most of the difference between the two groups are in traditions and training methods, though the end results are close to each other.

Okay, that should firmly entrench myself in the Dork Side. You may all heckle at your leisure now.

Edited by CoryHolmes

They took their initiates from their families before the children were even six months old, regardless of what the parents might have to say.

Actually that's not true. That was just once case which was shown on the Star Wars Holonet site before Attack of the Clones was released. They couldn't find the parents since the infant was found alone among ruble. They thought the parents were dead so they took the child in. Later on the mother appeared and they felt it was dangerous for the child to go back after beginning training. I don't remember how much time pasted between the mother showing up and them taking the child in. All other times they get the permission of the parents. They dont' take the children by force if the parents don't want them to go. Its when the parents allow them to go, that they aren't allowed contact and I'm sure parents are told this ahead of time. Thinking that their child would do great things. There are most likely those that change their mind later one but by then its to late.

The Jedi didn't steal babies. This is an misstatement that has been going around based off of one event that that was taken wrongly. They Jedi don't steal babies or take them by force from parents. Some parents actually are glad to give them up since they don't want kids anyway. The new Yoda novel actually deals with this in detail I believe.

Also they didnt' go arount starting fights. The Jedi in the prequel era actaully seemed to be apart of the Republic goverment in that they were allowed to do certain things. Also they were protecting a Senator of the Republic so it was a serious matter. In Episode 2 it was a matter that had to do with them, themsleves since they were chasing a criminal. They didn't destroy the bar. They kept things quiet, got the changling and then quickly left. The bounty hunter pulled the gun, they were looking for her since she ran in there to escape after her plan failed.

Its not that Jedi weren't well thought of, by their enemies they were hated of course but I haven't seen much that seems to show people hated them. The Jedi Purge is interesting in how it takes place. The Clone Wars itself is part of the purge it seems since we know who is actaully behindit and pulling the strings for both side. What happens in Episode 3 will further show what happen to the Jedi and how they were killed.

Edited by Effect