NERV iPod

Jolly Rogers

How much is it to get an item laser engraved?  Where can you get it done?

i honestly don't know how much it'd cost...and so far i've only seen one shop that does it too....you'd have to look around for a shop near you, sorry :(

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

you could just take your ipod to a laser engraver and get that engraving done...hell, us macross fans can get a friggin' kite or even a outline of the macross on the back :lol:

The LCD screen customization might prove more tricky.

that's what the color screen ipod is for, no? :rolleyes:

yeah but would you want to hack such an expensive item for that logo?

i think it should have been all black with the red fig logo (or tree of life diagram) imo

edit - ok i knew that pic looked funny. i thought it was a new ipod but in fact its just some mods:

iPod 1 unit

- A ear fitting head phone 1 unit: white with silver printing

- B enamel make case: plug suit white with red stitching, comes with a lanyard to wear around your neck

- C liquid crystal protective seat & wheel film each 2. Nerv logo printed in translucent red

47,250 Yen (including tax)

I believe its limited to 2,000 units

wonder when they'll show up on eScalp

Edited by MrDisco

Stop jumping on the Apple bandwagon! It's not too late, you too can avoid becoming an iPod lemming!

it IS too late!!! Bow before our market share! BOW! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, I'm not that impressed. I figure Bandai of all people could've done better. Of course the MSG iPod is probably going to be a full on Apple certified custom edition, if any of their products are.

Stop jumping on the Apple bandwagon! It's not too late, you too can avoid becoming an iPod lemming!

Puh-leeze... like buying a cheaper and more poorly made competitor's mp3 player makes anyone any cooler?

I've had 2 Creatives and they both went to crap after a year of service. There's nothing lemming-like about buying the superior product.

And that iPod is kickass... but it totally should have come in black or Unit 01, Unit 02, and Unit 00 colors. That would be kickass.

Puh-leeze... like buying a cheaper and more poorly made competitor's mp3 player makes anyone any cooler?

I've had 2 Creatives and they both went to crap after a year of service. There's nothing lemming-like about buying the superior product.

And that iPod is kickass... but it totally should have come in black or Unit 01, Unit 02, and Unit 00 colors. That would be kickass.

Personally, I think the iPod is just too expensive for what it is.

I'd have to do a bit of research before I could say which one, though. There's many quite fine devices out there for the having, I'm sure.

iPods are neat and all, but I haven't been a walkman type of guy since the 80's.

Plus, they're ballz expensive, making them even more impractical for me.

But hey, if you're one of those blessed people who have time to listen to music through headphones, more power to ya!. The only time I have is on my way home from work in my car.

you will but you'll probably have to put 'em on your harddrive since itunes (the software the ipod uses to transfer music) scans the folders you select and if there's a song out of place at any of the transfers, you won't be able to play that song...just the main reason why i hate itunes :rolleyes: what happend to the good ol' fashion drag n drop? <_<

I don't get the whole Ipod thing. Plenty of com[anies make MP3 players that are just as good, if not better, adn cost way less. It's also the only USB MP3 player on the marjket that you can't just plug into a computer and have it be seen as a removable hard drive. Most other players will also let you change the batteries. All rechargable batteries eventullly go bad, Apple's are no different.

Not to mention the fact that they're just ugly!

I'll stick with my little RCA Lyra. I'm not fond of hard drive based MP3 players.

I don't get the whole Ipod thing. Plenty of com[anies make MP3 players that are just as good, if not better, adn cost way less. It's also the only USB MP3 player on the marjket that you can't just plug into a computer and have it be seen as a removable hard drive. Most other players will also let you change the batteries. All rechargable batteries eventullly go bad, Apple's are no different.

Not to mention the fact that they're just ugly!

I'll stick with my little RCA Lyra. I'm not fond of hard drive based MP3 players.

uh no. show me one mp3 player out there that is better than the ipod

fact check: yes the ipod can act as a removable storage device

ugly? eye of the beholder. i think its a very clean design unlike the ugliness that comes out of Rio, RCA, Creative, Dell, and Sony.

not fond of HD players? yeah i guess having something bigger than 1.5gb can be a little intimatiding :p

i will grant they are expensive. but people don't complain over the cost of a porsche either. and i will admit that not being able to replace the battery is a sore point. in this case style won out over function.

I was skeptical of iPods, but I had heard they were the best and I've been waiting to purchase a new mp3 player. I was an original owner of the Diamond Rio player, the 64mb one. It was awesome for the time, but it has been a while since I had seen an mp3 player catch my fancy. I personally am not fond of white being the only option for the iPod pretty much, but I eventually was sold by its multitude of features. I picked up a 20GB one for $400 last year and after recieving it I must say that I am impressed. I even use the hard disk to store large files I want to transfer to friend because FIRE WIRE ROCKS. It also makes for fast transfer of songs. I bring this thing on all my trips and it keeps me entertained throughout. Couple this with my Gameboy Advanced SP and I'm all set for the road. When I drive around my hometown I plug it into my mom's van and I have something to listen to all the time without repeats. I don't like Apple's computers, but they sure make a kick ass mp3 player!

This would be the perfect iPod for a certain MW forum member... :lol:

Clean? Try antiseptic. The white box design is hideous to me. Every other MP3 player I've seen, looks much better. I loved hte looks of the one that Gateway had out.

I never said it couldn't be used as a removeable storage device. The fact is it is the only player out there that needs special software installed just to get it to talk to a PC. Unless you're on an older OS, you can just plug any other player out here into a USB port, and the computer will see it as a generic removeable drive.

I don't need that much space on a portable music device. I never need more than two hours worth of music at a time, and I generally only tend to go with songs that I actually like. I dont mind hearing them more than once. Not that hear too many repeats as it is on my little flash based player.

What I don't like is moving parts on something that small and expensive. Far far too easy to bounce a head off a platter in a HDD if you bump it too hard.

The Porsche comparison is apt. They don't corner any better than an Ipod. The problem is that the Ipod isn't offering Ferrari perfomance to match it's price tag. I've heard too many complaints that offereings from other companies have better sound quality.

Style always wins out over function with Apple products. Look at the infamous hockey puck mouse.

It's also the only USB MP3 player on the marjket that you can't just plug into a computer and have it be seen as a removable hard drive.

I don't where you got your info from but let me take you up the speed. The iPods are Firewire/1394 and USB 2.0 and can be recognized as an external hard drive from the get-go.

When did they finally get around to introducing that? That was the big complaint I heard from the first couple genrations of Ipods. You needed special software for them, when using them with a PC, even after the Windows compatible ones were introduced. I know they've always been plug and play with Macs.

There's loads of other MP3 players that work great and look much better as well. You hardly ever see iPods here in HK. Pretty much everybody has these little cool looking cylindrical shaped ones they hang around their necks.

Personally, I'm not into carrying lots of different gadgets, so an iPod holds no interest for me. I like to travel light, so I'd rather have one item that does everything rather than walking around like a dork with a seperate cell phone, PDA, portable gaming device, digital camera and MP3 player :p .

I'm perfectly happy with the MP3 player on my Nokia cell phone with a 256KB MMC card that hold about 65 songs. Yes, it may not by 5GB and hold a gazillion songs, but so what? In one day travelling to and from work, I never get through all the songs anyway and it's easy enough to change songs on the PC when I get bored.

Graham

When did they finally get around to introducing that? That was the big complaint I heard from the first couple genrations of Ipods. You needed special software for them, when using them with a PC, even after the Windows compatible ones were introduced. I know they've always been plug and play with Macs.

Uh...Gen1 which was Apple only. Gen2 was when they started selling it for Windows. You needed to use the Windows CD install for it be Windows Compatible. Gen2.5-Gen3 and up they've been PnP as long as itunes was installed on your windows machine.

Changing a battery on the iPod....screwdriver/DULLknife. Gently slide it under the metal part. Run it around the iPod, popping all the catches. Run screwdriver under battery separating it from the grey cushion. Unplug battery. Plug in new battery. Place battery on top of grey cushion thingy. Pop metal part back on. Done. TONS of online tutorials on how to do this. With pictures.

Aesthetics: Clean, anti-septic whatever. Eye of the beholder. Interface is where it's at and it's got one of the best interfaces out there, especially when it comes to scrolling through 5-40Gb of songs. It's nice to have that 40Gb of songs when you're gone for the week skiing or whatnot away from your personal computer.

Ruggedness....I've already proven it can survive rough use(see above post)

Is it for everyone? No. If you're worried about the HD blowing up wait for next year when the anticipated Flash iPod shows up. Don't like it's design? No one's forcing you to buy it. Don't need the extra songs/space then buy something that you like. Just do a little current research about a product before slamming it for years old problems that have been fixed.

Don't keep up on Ipods, so I wasn't aware that they finally caught up with the with rest of the computer industry with the plug and play.

Don't like bells and whistles? I wasn't talking about the interface. Most of the large capacity MP3 players I've seen have interfaces that are obviously inspired by the Ipod. I'm talking about the way the thing looks. It's a white box. The pstels available on the mini Ipods are not an improvement.

Given the internals, I undestand that there's going to be a boxy shape, but the featureless casing looks bad. These are good looking MP3 players. I don't know what's up with all the buttons down the side, but even without them it looks better than an Ipod. Just as a note. I don't really know anything about that player. I saw a link to it else where, and thought it looked pretty good. I've also seen a pretty nice looking player out of Dell.

Sorry, but I just don't see the attraction. They're bland, and priced much more than their competition. Yes, they inspired what's become a nearly standard interface, but all they really seem to have going for them these days is really good marketing. If you like them, good for you, but they hurt my eyes.

I'm not saying anyone is stupid for liking them, I'm just trying to understand the craze.