Macross Mecha Depicted in non-Macross Series

wolframbane

The mecha of Macross has been seen in numerous other forms (series, toys, RPGs, etc) other than Macross. Some were legitimate liscencees (such as Jetfire in Transformers) and others, not so legit (like knockoffs and such).

The purpose of this thread is for people to report and detail any of these Mecha (or even characters) seen in other series and media. Feel free to include any mecha that catches your eye.

We are all probably familiar with the infamous Jetfire/Skyfire of Transformers fame. Because of a conflict in who could portray the image of the VF-1 in North America (between Robotech and Transformers, both who had apparently leased the reproduction of the design from Studio Nue), the Transformer Jetfire had a decidely different appearance on the cartoon than as a toy.

post-2-1102117457.jpg

:lol::lol: i have never seen anything from space gundam, are there any real gundams in it? or is the Vf the main mech and refered to as a gundam through out the series? i would love to see a pic of the Vf fighting the Rx-78 type gundam or zaku :lol::lol:

edit: i just realized that it is called "Gandam" with the letter "A", not "Gundam". is there any connection to the series???

Edited by zeo-mare

Also from Battletech, the Crusader (armoured VF-1A), phoenix hawk (super VF-1J), wasp (VF-1S), and of course all the "land-air mech" (LAM) versions of the wasp, stinger, and phoenix hawk, which were fully transforming VFs.

i was going to ask the same thing, i know it is not official, but what is the plot for this thing anyhow?

With regard to Jetfire/Skyfire - yes, the character was based on the Valkyie toy, with a heavily re-designed robot and plane mode for the Transformers cartoon as everyone knows.

But...what some people aren't aware of, is that Jetfire was animated with the original Macross Valkyrie design in one Transformers animated production. Namely, Jetfire's original commercial which, like all G1TF commercials, featured specially made animation from Toei.

It's funny to note what's written under Jetfire's profile in the original Transformers show bible:

"Note: JETFIRE has been "transformed" into SKYFIRE -- with a different model -- due to legal reasons. Do not use this character unless necessary."

Here's a copy of Jetfire's model sheet for the commercial:

post-2-1102131382_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doryu2025

I saw gubaba once in the Yugioh cartoon as a monster called "kariboh" if that counts. hehe joke post.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yugioh-card_1822_390524357

^

picture of gubaba while possessed

I think there have been plenty of previous fuzzy balls before Gubaba

post-2-1102142903_thumb.jpg

Edited by RichterX

Hi everybody this is my 1st post here.

Here is some old school stuff regarding RT poping up in odd places...

Garbage Pail Kids series 3 had a card titled "Hot Head Harvey / Roy Bot" that was a Armored VT with a GPK head on it. The link will take you to a page with a rough sketch of the original. Check it out...

GPK: Hot Head Harvey / Roy Bot, Armored VT

Edited by outpatient8

Yeah, I freaked out when the reflex cannons popped out of Megas. That show is great for cameos of all sorts.

Another place RT stuff has popped up recently was in the 50 cent machines in supermarkets. Ya know the ones that you get super bounce balls and gum out of. Well, about 6 months ago my kid wanted 50 cents to get a toy out. When he comes back he has this tiny (about 1 1/2 inches) unassembled model in one of those plastic bubbles. When he finaly gts it out together he brings it to me and much to my suprise it's a friggn' Gladiator Destroid! So, I go back to the supermarkes and empty that particular machine. Yes it cost a sum of money that would not tell my wife about. Anyway, I end up getting all of the macross VTs and a few variants of the Galdiator! Thesr things are so cool. I don't have a digital camera but if i buy one for x-mas I'll post the pics.

oh and RichterX, relax dude. I'll call 'em what ever I want, right or wrong. How obnoxious do you have to be to correct someone on something so trivial. :blink:

we say that because "VT" is a robotech term only, and Robotech is less-than-smiled upon here... just so ya know :)

*Sneers* VT only came to light from the moron book 'authors' way back in the 80's when the book versions of the TV episodes came out. likely the confusion occured when he/they saw the first episodes, saw the little 'VT-102' on the art and Misa/Lisa's dialog. (to my knowledge, the first RPG books were still being worked on at the time). it probably never occured to them the fubar in the making...

you'd think they would have EDITED the books after all this time. :lol:

Without reguards to veritech or Robotech, it's important to realize that there IS a VT in the Macross universe, and VF-1 is NOT a VT. As previously mentioned, VF is variable fighter, and that applies to everything from the VF-1 Valkyrie to the VF-22 Sturmvogel II. VT is variable trainer. So far, there's only one, and that's the VT-1 Ostrich from DYRL. (Yes, I know about the VT-1C civillian variant in Macross Dynamite 7, but a VT-1 is still a VT-1).

So, sticking to the subject...

Battletech was already mentioned but it was not the first game to use robotech mech designs. An old and very obscure game that predated BT called 'Warbots and Death Machines" also used robotech mech designs. Mostly the destroids from the macross saga. I think the battlepods male and female powersarmors where in there too. It also had stuff from dougram and a couple of other 80's anime.

I lost my copy of the game years ago. It was designed to allow you to take whatever giant robot toys you had, give them stats and then fight with them.

gandam rools,, it should be cannonized as a crappy B movie in the Macross universe. dispite its low budget it got full military support includeing a valk they could "dress" up for the movie.

any more word on this gandam monstrosity?

Another place RT stuff has popped up recently was in the 50 cent machines in supermarkets. Ya know the ones that you get super bounce balls and gum out of. Well, about 6 months ago my kid wanted 50 cents to get a toy out. When he comes back he has this tiny (about 1 1/2 inches) unassembled model in one of those plastic bubbles. When he finaly gts it out together he brings it to me and much to my suprise it's a friggn' Gladiator Destroid! So, I go back to the supermarkes and empty that particular machine. Yes it cost a sum of money that would not tell my wife about. Anyway, I end up getting all of the macross VTs and a few variants of the Galdiator! Thesr things are so cool. I don't have a digital camera but if i buy one for x-mas I'll post the pics.

Ha.

I got one of those when I was a kid and Rawbooteck was still in it's first run. Green VF-1J.

oh and RichterX, relax dude. I'll call 'em what ever I want, right or wrong. How obnoxious do you have to be to correct someone on something so trivial.  :blink:

Here's the thing... everyone else is talking about Macross. You're talking about this Rawbooteck thing that very few people here like, partially for political reasons, partially because it's really not that great a writing job.

IF you're gonna be a Robotech fan, you gotta be ready to take some crap for it.