The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

The price of PSP makes it adult...  :lol: It is a $250~$300 machine... and you have to buy games @ 59.99 price range...

I am play Mario 64 DS. It is still fun.

Actually, the price I saw for the PSP was $150, just like the DS.

nope... in Japan, basic PSP package is 19,800 Yen, the complete PSP package is 24,800 Yen and NDS is only 15,000 Yen.

The complete PSP package is about $250US.

That's the Japanese price, word in...EGM I think it was said that they'd be taking more of a hit on the price for the US release to get it out at $150. I'll have to look again to be sure, though.

I don't know about the "big" thing but I sort of found the play mechanics a tad awkward. I'm not sure I was playing the game right but moving with the plus, shooting with the shoulder button and aiming with the stylus was sort of hard to hold in your hands for the Metroid demo. I amost wanted the grip portions of the thing to be bulkier so you could solidly hold it with one hand while the other one drew on the screen.

I don't know about the "big" thing but I sort of found the play mechanics a tad awkward. I'm not sure I was playing the game right but moving with the plus, shooting with the shoulder button and aiming with the stylus was sort of hard to hold in your hands for the Metroid demo. I amost wanted the grip portions of the thing to be bulkier so you could solidly hold it with one hand while the other one drew on the screen.

Yah. Metroid didn't really have a "good" control scheme available. Though Nintendo seems to realize this, since there's 5 diffrent ones, each with their own strengths and weaknesses(well, really 3+mirror images of 2).

The price of PSP makes it adult...  :lol: It is a $250~$300 machine... and you have to buy games @ 59.99 price range...

I am play Mario 64 DS. It is still fun.

Actually, the price I saw for the PSP was $150, just like the DS.

nope... in Japan, basic PSP package is 19,800 Yen, the complete PSP package is 24,800 Yen and NDS is only 15,000 Yen.

The complete PSP package is about $250US.

The PSP bundle deal is just that... a bundle deal.

The 19,800 yen price is closer to US $185. So, my bet is that the PSP will launch in the US for $179.99.

What makes the PSP more "adult"?  The DS is getting Sprung, a game about a guy trying to score with a girl.  The PSP seems to have nothing but a bunch of games I already own for PS2.

Well everyone already knows that Sony has games more oriented towards adults whereas Nintendo tends to cater more twards kid friendly games.

The DS follows this trend, though it is nice to see they are trying to branch out with games like Sprung, but honestly the PSP is still going to follow the Sony trend to have more adult oriented games.

Vostok 7

Nintendo believes in family-friendly games... there's nothing wrong with Nintendo wanting to do than Animal Crossing DS. But that doesn't mean there can't be mature titles on the DS as well.

And again, the DS has innovation. Feel the Magic might be short and sweet, but it's also the first game I've ever played where you have to tap, rub, and blow to play. Meanwhile, what's the PSP got? Dynasty Warriors, WipeOut, Gran Turismo, and other games I've already beat on my PS2. Oh, and a Metal Gear card battle game. Whoop-dee-frickin'-do.

i think the psp will be the new atairi lynxx....

big expense little innovation :(

Actually, the Lynx was VERY innovative.

Switchable backlight(Sound familiar? The GBASP has it, bringing the grand total in the market to ... two).

Reversable control for left- and right-handed people(No other system has it. No other system is even designed remotely right to make it feasable).

A well-documented, 8-unit interface standard*(DS one-ups it, but other than that... nothing).

It was also the most powerful of the 3.5 portables in the day(I'm giving the TurboExpress a half point, since it's the same dang thing as the then-current TG16 home console).

But like most things under the Tramiel-owned incarnation of Atari, it was doomed to minimal support, including almost no advertising and a fairly limited software selection.

Did it have it's flaws? Yes. Was lackof innovation one of them? No.

*Little known fact: very few 8-bit GB games support the link cable because the original gamelink port had almost no documentation, and was completely lacking in error correction, which combined to make it almost impossible to get any real data transfer done(hell, it loses sync REGULARLY in VS mode Tetris in my experience). Often scrapppng link support was all that was needed to get a behind-schedule game back on track. So that's what was done. It was the first feature on most developers' chopping block when a game started lagging behind.

Bullet-proof Software really deserves a LOT of credit for Faceball, which I KNOW supports the 4-player adapter and I've been told can support MULTIPLE 4-player adapters, for up to 16 players at once(can't find documentation of this one way or the other).

so I decided to keep my DS and not sell it NIB, and after playing with it for more than a few hours, I have to say... meh.

my complaints...

it is big... big and bulky

for me, it's a pain to hold and use the stylus or even the thumb strap at the same time. perhaps I'll get used to it eventually and perhaps I won't, but if they had given the thing more rounded corners, I think it would be easier to hold.

I wish it was possible to drop back into the OS instead of having to turn the unit on and off... speaking of pictochat in particular, not a big deal.. but just kinda bugs.

but the graphics are sweet, I love the screen resolution, my GBA games never looked so good.

i think the psp will be the new atairi lynxx....

big expense little innovation :(

Actually, I think you're on the wrong track like JB0 said.

The Lynx had innovation, just absolutely no support.

I would liken the PSP more to the Game Gear. I think it will be semi-popular but then peak quickly.

Maybe even moreso the Nomad. The Nomad was a great idea and unlike the Game Gear was backed by hundreds of well known excellent games, but it was plagued by framerates and horrible battery life. I think the PSP will have similar problems.

Vostok 7

I think it should just be assumed that all gaming consoles today are market tools of their corporations... just like consumer vehicles you should expect a replacement to hit the market sooner rather than later. That sort of treatment by the industry can be a boon or a bust for fans. If you talk to parents (who buy most of these games for their kids) they will tell you the companies don't really support any of their consoles. Parents think in terms of ice ages and when a new console shows up they always say "what? another one? what's wrong with the one you kids already have?" But on the flip side of the coin there is the new adult market... and adults like us who grew up along with the computer industry know that hardware advances quickly and constantly along with software and something better is always around the corner. To me, the video game market is the ultimate expression of the "disposable society" that people accuse us of living in. The degree to which something is supported by it's creator depends a lot on market share, installed user base and the general disposition of the company. By that I mean how greedy are they? Look at Sega. In a rash attempt to gain ground on Nintendo by any means neccessary and to line their pockets in the process they released console after console, leaving most of their fans to foot the bill for their market grabs when Nintendo kept beating them back. I think it is still those business practices of old that creep into people's minds when a new console shows up nowadays. No one wants to get "burned" yet everyone wants the new tech. I guess that is why you have this strange condition coming down the pipe of two types of games being offered, the new and innovative risk taking games and the old school rehash "safe" titles... which is something Nintendo and Sony seem to accell at, repackaging and re-releasing old product with a new coat of paint and selling even more of them. From most accounts the Gameboy Advance is just a handheld Super Nintendo with a new twist as the DS is just a handheld N64 with a new twist as the PSP is just a miniature PS1 with a new twist. In a few years when we have the new Nintendo googlebox and the PS3 you will see them porting over the Gamecube and PS2 tech into handhelds and rehashing the games we have today as new versions with two letter special names like Resident Evil 4 EX or GTA: San Andreas PX.

What my point comes down to is that when it comes to consumer electronics in today's world it's not so much how long the company will support the console as everyone's track record shows that the tech is fleeting, you will only be at the peak for a year at most before the next thing comes along and you start wondering if you should buy it or not and whether or not the company will support the new thing... not noticing that the old console you love so dear just had it's death warrant signed.

I just picked up a Nintendo DS tonight -- saw a stack at Walmart and I couldn't resist. Anyways, some initial thoughts.

I didn't pick up a game ($150 is a lot for one night of frivilous spending to me) so the Metroid demo is all I got. I've been playing a lot of HL 2 for the PC so this use of the stylus felt really good to me. And the graphics are pretty good to boot. So far, the stylus seems really responsive, I like it. I'll test out other games over the weekend and let you guys know what I think.

I know its all fun and quirky. Its also pretty much a test bed of technologies for the next true gameboy. So even if the DS may not survive, what I do like very much is the GBA compatibility.

The GBA compatibility of the DS is awesome. First, you can choose which screen you'll use to play the GBA games. Some games I was actually playing better on the bottom screen (the original GBA setup) and some were better on the top screen (SP setup). The stereo sound is blaringly great to boot. The real kicker is that the GBA games look great on the DS screens. The overall image is smaller than an normal GBA SP screen, but due to the higher resolution, its a lot sharper; graphics don't look as pixelated. What makes the biggest difference is the lighting. The GPA SP screen is front lit and generally good. But, the DS screens have true backlighting and the overall quality is similar to the old NEC Turbo Express. Graphics look bright and sharp. I've been playing GBA games on the DS for a couple of hours and when I go back to the SP, man is it an eyesore to me now. Another plus is are the controls. The portrait layout of the buttons makes the LR buttons easier to deal with and the digital pad is much larger than the GBA SP and is more responsive. I'm able to pull out Street Fighter moves and Gradius maneuvers easier than before.

So it may sound silly, but I might be keeping the DS and actually getting rid of my SP. The DS isn't as portable, but it makes playing GBA games great for me and I love my GBA games =)

I doubt it will be lower for the US market, I would think it would be slightly higher.

edit:

Dam dollar get stronger its 191.54 dollars for the 19800 yen.

The dollar to yen rate affects it some, sure. But as a rule, videogame consoles are always cheaper in the US. Part of that is because some of the R&D costs have already been absorbed by the Japanese market. Part of it seems to be due to a higher cost-of-living in general in Japan and the willingness of the Japanese consumer to pay equivalently higher prices than we in America would.

If I recall correctly, around the time the PS2 dropped to $199.99, it was still selling for the equivalent of $270 in Japan.

So anyway, trust me, when the PSP launches in the US, it will definately be cheaper than in Japan.

Part of the problem with the backwards compatibility is that the GBA and GBA SP actually have two processors, one for GBA and one for older Gameboy.  The DS will also have two processors... one for GBA, and one for DS.

One big diffrence here...

In the GBA the 8-bit GB processor is inacessable in GBA mode(total waste of a chip, and evidence to support my belief that the GBA was rushed to market to stop Bandai and SNK).

In the DS both CPUs operate in parallel in DS mode. And the performance disparity is small enough that the system can really be considered a dual-proc device.

Anyways... I'll trade my GBA in for a GBColor when I get a DS.

Neither incarnation of the GBA is really pleasing to me(one's got a crappy d-pad, the other's too damn small). The DS has neither unit's flaws(well, not untill the LiIon packs start failing...). And while teh GBC isn't my favorite system ever, it's the most convenient 8Bit GB.

you will need an sp should you want to play gba games with others or hook stuff up to the gamecube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Wow, this thread comes back from the dead and I'm reading some of these predictions...hilarious!

Anyways, I've heard good things about Dawn of Sorrow. I'll probably grab it once I've beaten Aria of Sorrow. Oh, who am I kidding? I've got a couple hundred in the bank, no more bills this month, and another paycheque come Friday.

Castlevania DS.

"Dont ask,Just buy it."-Jack Kirby

Seriously.

Awesome game.

On par with SOTN on the Playstation easily.

334485[/snapback]

You too? I'd just picked up a Gameboy Micro, and ran through Aria of Sorrow again. Then I got DoS. So, instead of playing with my sexy new toy (I'll pick it up again when I grab Megaman Zero 4), I find myself playing the DS I haven't touched since last year... until the battery ran out. Charge faster, dammit!

It's amazing how much of a difference the DS's power makes on a 2D game. DoS looks light years better than AoS. My only complaints would be that, amazingly enough, the Micro actually has a better backlit screen than the DS, and I kinda miss it. Also, while the dual screen setup is marvelous (being able to see the map while you're playing instead of switching to it is a huge leap forward), the touch screen features feel tacked on just so they could say they used them. Look, the DS has six buttons. Conventional gameplay is possible. Not every DS game needs to support the touch screen.

From magicbox :

- Nintendo of Japan announced a large dose of new Nintendo DS titles at the Nintendo Conference 2005:

Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Capcom, 2006)

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)

Final Fantasy III (Square Enix, 2006)

Mario & Luigi RPG 2 (Nintendo, 12/29/2005)

Rainbow Island DS (Taito, 01/05/2006)

Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju no Nouo Kitaeru Otona DS Training 2 (Nintendo, 12/29/2005)

Tales DS (Namco)

Tingle RPG (Nintendo)

Magical Vacation (Nintendo)

Ash (MistWalker)

Tenchu DS (From Software)

Kaitou Wario (Nintendo)

Wishroom (Nintendo)

Eigo Zuke DS [English Training] (Nintendo)

Detect Hacker (Nintendo)

Densetsu no Stafi 4 (Nintendo)

Puzzle Up DS (Nintendo)

Bomberman Story (Hudson)

New Gundam (Bandai)

Mario Basket 3 on 3 (Nintendo)

Custom Robo DS (Nintendo)

Yu-Gi-Oh (Konami)

Nobunaga's Ambition DS (Koei)

Ocha Inu no Heya (Koei)

Daikookai Jidai DS (Koei)

Stylebook Series (Bandai)

Dracula Castlevania (Konami)

Dangerious Jisan (Konami)

Vs. Puzzle Papi Inu Vector Wan (Konami)

Crossword Puzzle (Nintendo)

Jigsaw Puzzle (Nintendo)

Sudokou (Nintendo)

More FF3 !

G A M E B O Y A D V A N C E

- Square Enix announced they will release Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI for GameBoy Advance, as a part of the Final Fantasy Portable project.

I may just have to get a dual-screen after all

You were supposed to get one for Castlevania.

Square Enix announced they will release Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI for GameBoy Advance, as a part of the Final Fantasy Portable project.

And that's after announcing Final Fantasy IV for the GBA as well. And, as awesome as Dawn of Sorrow looks on the DS, I'd actually prefer more games for the GBA anyway. As I mentioned, I just picked up a Gameboy Micro. For all the innovation of the DS and sheer power of the PSP, I'm loving the Micro for it's sheer portability (I'd actually say it's a little smaller than my cell phone), not to mention that the screen is brighter and more clear than the DS.

Q. What`s the best Sonic game for GBA

Of the three I played (I never got around to Sonic Advance 3), call me crazy, but I liked Sonic Battle. They were all pretty good... much better than the Genesis games. But I kinda like Sonic better in 3D... Sonic Adventure 2 is still one of my favorite Dreamcast games.

was there an Altered Beast for the GBA, is it worth it ?

There was, but I didn't particularly care for it. Pass.

PS: Did any of you guys see the new Sonic DS game, they say it`s awesome.

I've just read the previews, and I'm really not sure what to say. I can't imagine how different it could be from Sonic Advance. (Just like Dawn of Sorrow isn't much different than the previous 3 GBA Castlevanias and Symphony of the Night before that). And while Sonic Advance was fun, it was nowhere near as good in my opinion as, say, Castlevania or Megaman Zero. So while I may end up playing Sonic DS, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to play it. Next DS game I'm really looking forward to is the new 2D Super Mario Bros.