What is the best attribute ......

MacrossX

TV Series: Fleshed-out plot. Originality. Old-school goodness.

DYRL: Incredible art, directing, music, and emotion.

Plus: The music, character designs, mecha designs, directing, animation, and realistic mech physics.

7: FAIYAA!!!!!!!!!!! Character designs, fleshed out plot, character development, Max/Milia, the Sturmvogel II.

ZERO: Action, fluid animation, incredible speed of action and style.

Macross Zero: The new valkyrie designs and not much else

SDF Macross TV: It started the whole thing and laid the groundwork for DYRL

DYRL: It is the last word in Macross and is the pinicle of evolution of the species

Flashback 2012: Gave us the VF-4 and not much else

Macross II: Gave us the VF-2SS and not much else

Macross Plus: Gave us the YF-19 and YF-21 and not much else

Macross 7: Comes on a DVD format that can be turned off and lit on fire easily

Plus: The music, character designs, mecha designs, directing, animation, and realistic mech physics.

7: FAIYAA!!!!!!!!!!! Character designs, fleshed out plot, character development, Max/Milia, the Sturmvogel II.

Agreed and add

Flashback 2012: Gave us a few seconds of the VF4.

Macross II: umm. Good art and VF2 SS is pretty cool. Story is lame though. ;)

SDF Macross TV series: Started the Macross legacy and laid the groudwork for future Macross works. Great characters and mecha designs. Sets the realistic mecha genre into a new level.

DYRL: Brought up as an encore to the fans. Refined the best qualities of the TV show like a diamond. Brought the designers their quality of work up to a new level and eventually any anime production they would later work on.

Flashback 2012: The final outing for some characters from the TV series/DYRL. Minmay's final bow in Macross is still a great one. Gives us more groundwork in the continuity as well.

II: Gave us the VF2-SS, new Destroids, the Macross Cannon-class warships and Ishtar for fanservice.

Plus: A return to the official Macross timeline. Ties with some of the old continuity. New Variable Fighters and other mecha designs. First character designs not done by Harahito Mikimoto. A milestone of Japanese animation.

7/7 Movie/Dynamite 7: Great characters, great animation designs, lots of J-Rock, Max+Millia, more Variable Fighters and making a few more milestones. Great stories too and featuring (low-profile in the show) a few more Destroids.

Zero: First animated prequel story, more mysticism, another milestone of Japanese animation, more non-Mikimoto character art and more Variable Fighters. New Destroid designs and loads of action.

and Ishtar!

Don't forget Ishtar!

^_^

And Isamu Dyson. The most bad-ass pilot since Max Jenius and Roy Focker, not to mention the best bad-ass enigmatic devil-may-care-attitude character before Spike Spiegel. ^_^

btw, Plus also introduced and gave to most of us Yoko Kanno's excellent music-compositions. All the Plus music are still golden to this day!

hahaha! true, true.

^_^

Edited by treatment

DYRL: It is the last word in Macross and is the pinicle of evolution of the species

Zero: mechanical animation, Roy

Macross TV: great storyline/indepth story, great characters, great enemy, great mecha

DYRL: great animation, along with the elements of the TV series

Macross II: pass on this...

Macross Plus: music, mechanical designs, characters, and animation

Macross 7: Don't really like it at all.

I agree with all this except for Flashback... It gave us tons of emotion, and another beautiful song by Minmay. Only 3 min. of new Macross, but that three min. is burned into my mind forever.

Macross TV: Great story and the pioneer for over 20 years of Macross

DYRL: Everything.

Flashback 2012: Closure for the three main characters of DYRL and a brief glimpse of the cult favorite VF-4

Macross II: Mecha designs, and some nice 80's style synth pop music.

Macross Plus: Character designs, mecha designs, story, Sharon Apple; probably the best thing that's happened to Macross since DYRL.

Macross 7: the VF-17 :(

Macross Zero: New valkyries and possibly more insight into the existence of protoculture.

Original series: Great story, great characters, great mecha. Pity about all those AnimeFriend episodes...

DYRL: Better designs (for characters AND mecha), and just drop dead gorgeous to look at.

FB2012: A REALLY, REALLY good editing job for the "videos," and, of course, those few minutes of new animation near the end.

MII: Some of the character designs are nice (especially Sylvie). Other than that...not much.

M+: Lovely to look at, great Valkyries, creepy vibes, and exceptionally good music. Also opens with one of the best fight scenes in all of Macross.

M7: This is tough...I think M7 has great ingredients for a show, but never QUITE managed to pull it off. Some of the Valks are cool, I liked seeing Max and Milia (and Exedol) again, I liked the idea of the Protodeviln and their history, and I thought the last clutch of episodes were awesome (but would have been better without Zomd and Goram). Some of the music's nice, too. I also thought the movie struck a good balance: fun without being ridiculous.

MD7: The opening and ending credits are so frickin' awesome that it really makes me wish I thought Basara was as cool as I've evidently meant to. Again, cool designs.

M0: There's very little that I DON'T like about this so far. The CG took a little getting used to at first, though.

Nice topic , I wonder why we haven´t seen it before now ;)

Well, I have enjoyed each and every Macross series to date in no orther of preference :

Macross Zero : Great concept , solid character development , awesome mecha designs (mostly the VF-0D and SV series ) and spectacular animation.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross : marvelous characters , great plot development with lots of drama and the icon of all mecha designs - the VF-1 B) ! ; oh , and the music of course.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: DYRL? : Awesome animation , awesome music and great action

Macross Plus : With the sole exception of the character designs this series is Perfect ! 9.9/10

Macross 7 : Great mecha designs , as originals and varied as in the original series , pleasant music for the most part and well defined characters.

I believe Kawamori has achieved in introducing more variety into the franchise with each new series and in thaat respect I´ve come to love each series by their own attributes and in the same scale. :)

I believe Kawamori has achieved in introducing more variety into the franchise with each new series and in thaat respect I´ve come to love each series by their own attributes and in the same scale. :)

I agree, I take every series as it own and love each one for its originality.

I also agree.

One thing that I like about the series is that after the TV show set up the story's foundation, he has been able to write stories that are independant, yet fit very well into the overall saga. Not only that, be it has allowed him to write stories that are smaller in scale (like Mac Plus and Zero so far, though I also realize the ramifications of the events described) and yet still make them compelling. They go together like pieces of a puzzle.

Although I like each segment for its differences and strengths, making my little list made me realize that I enjoy them that much more because they do fit so well together. For example:

Macross Plus: Guld's emotional problems make so much more sense and are more tragic when I know the history of his race. Knowing the history of the Macross, seeing it rise up again is a much more awe inspiring sight. It also adds to the story knowing the significance and history celebrated by the Space War I ceremony.

Macross Zero: To me, that opening prologue in episode 1, with the first person recounting of the arrival of the Macross is one of the best parts in all of Macross-dom. It still gives me chills. The arrival of such a thing in any story would be big, but knowing all that resulted from it's arrival: the development of technology, Zentradi's arrival, the near destruction of Earth, and the human expansion into the cosmos makes that seen so much more powerful.

Anyway, you get the idea. Although each Macross series has it's own unique strengths, the saga as a whole is truly greater than the sum of its parts.

What about Macross 7 trash (did I get the name right?) ? What is it about and how is it? Best attribute?

Macross 7 is a manga (comics) spin-off the Macross 7 TV series. The designs are gorgeous (best attribute) but the story-telling is retarded (worst attribute). It's not surprising since Mikimoto Haruhiko is a character designer and not a mangaka. To sum it up, he can draw good but he sucks at story-telling (and this is coming from a big Mikimoto fan).

One of the things I really liked about the original series as opposed to the others is that in Battlroid mode the Valk looks like a robot in the later series and in Macross Zero the SV-51 all look far to human, I really prefer that it, in my opinion, makes the Valks more realistic.

TV: an utterly stupid idea for a SF show that worked incredibly well. The instant-classic characters, the Valkyries, the story, the overall "look", and Max.

DYRL: Stunning production values; opportunity to show what the animators could have done if every TV episode had that much money behind them. And Max.

Plus: Everything. One of those anime that reminds you why you got into anime in the first place. More specifically, the Valkyries, the music, the animation, and those dogfights. No Max, though.

7: The music ( no, honestly ). Some good ideas ( the colonisation fleets are pretty well thought out ), and an ( eventually ) involving story. And, of course, Max, the coolest near-60 year old in the Universe.

Zero: Not entirely sure just yet, but at the moment, showing us the possible future of anime.

TV: uh... the VF-1? :)

DYRL: Improved animation

FB2012: The highlight reel

MII: Metal Siren

M+: YF-21

M7: Combination/evolution of previous material and addition of new

M0: Roy

I'm gonna go with this one :)

TV series : The Macross itself, Misa, Minmay, Miriya, Max, Malkyries, I mean Valkyries :p

DYRL : 'ai oboeteimasuka' B)

Flashback : EVERYTHING IN IT !!!!!

Mac II : VF2SS, macross cannon

Mac+ : Isamu, new valks, Sharon Apple :D

Mac7 : Battle7, Max & Miriya and Emilia, Barauta Valks :)

MacZero : VF-0, SV-51, aircraft carriers :ph34r:

If I could add the games, I say it's VFX-2 : Konig Monster rulez :lol: