Episode Sheet M01A: "Booby Trap"

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRepisode/M01Aeps1.php

- all of the front except most of the production staff, & topics on the back.

I'm going to leave it at that until sometime in the future (probably never). Call it diminishing returns, and energy best spent elsewhere (I've been working on the page for 3 days. Sure, it sounds like a lot, but that's like 10 minutes here and another there. Real life distractions...).

That said, the page was more informative than I initially suspected. I really enjoyed the commentary and topics. Definitely two places I'll have my eye on in future issues.

and the second half, Episode Sheet M01B: "Booby Trap"

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRepisode/M01Beps1.php

Again, partial (focusing on the stuff that hasn't been available in some form or another in English for, oh, about 30 years ;) ).

Just realized this is coming out weekly now.

Weekly from the 29th.

Series Guide, pgs 01~08:

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRseriesguide/SrsGuid.php

Highlights include Kawamori-san's message (more of that frustrating "we're watching the movie version, the real version is something else altogether" carp), things to look forward to (new art), and the filing method.

HLJ has a listing for the Special Binder for Weekly Macross Chronicle (2pcs Set). I don't know what these are, unless they are similar to the binders that were sold separately for the monthly releases last time.

this is what it's about:

section6Cont2.jpg

Specifically an extra pair of binders, without dividers.

And I assume there will be no mention of Macross: The Ride... :unsure:

too early to tell.

Just noticed some oddness in MC:

- on the All Macross Series Guide Line, Macross FB7 is listed as an OVA. Odd!

I already mentioned that, but yeah... the joke's on us who paid to see it in a movie theater, huh? <_<

(Although I really shouldn't complain, since it provided me with a chance to meet Fukuyama. Infinitely more satisfying than the movie itself...)

I already mentioned that, but yeah...

Apologies. I must've been too giddy that night 'cuz MC was finally out.

Heh, and now I have 3 copies. For the binders. The 2 for ï¿¥590 offer, though sounding reasonable, isn't that great. No dividers , and if your purchase is less than ï¿¥1,000, then there's a ï¿¥300 shipping charge tacked on. ï¿¥890 for 2, or ï¿¥580 for 2 + extra dividers and extra copies to let the kids leaf through? That decision didn't take long.

the joke's on us who paid to see it in a movie theater, huh? <_<

(Although I really shouldn't complain, since it provided me with a chance to meet Fukuyama. Infinitely more satisfying than the movie itself...)

Well, you enjoyed yourselves, right? Seeing Macross in the theatre still gives you bragging rights, right? And that's not even considering what happened in the lobby, eh.

I've been thinking on it, and I think labelling it an OVA is the publisher's way of shoehorning it into the main chronology - as the movie versions are outside of that. Maybe even Kawamori-san's shoehorning? Nevertheless, translation in process, and the fine print at the bottom left of the article might provide clarification.

Or not.

That reminds me... Macross Chronicle is EVERYWHERE right now (online). Ads for it are popping up all over the place. DA, JT, even a youtube link in that Top Gun thread:

post-3910-0-15584300-1359032381_thumb.jpg

I'm still in the "neat" and "cool" phase, but it's almost at the "too much" phase. Anyone else getting spammed with MC ads?

That reminds me... Macross Chronicle is EVERYWHERE right now (online). Ads for it are popping up all over the place. DA, JT, even a youtube link in that Top Gun thread:

post-3910-0-15584300-1359032381_thumb.jpg

I'm still in the "neat" and "cool" phase, but it's almost at the "too much" phase. Anyone else getting spammed with MC ads?

Yeah, I am, but that's because those ads are generated by whatever you've expressed an interest in during your online activities. Not everyone gets the same ads.

Hope they correct some of the colouring mistakes from the first run. The VF-17S head error is the most glaring error IIRC.

Graham

Along with the VF19S head. I was hoping for some more b&w re-colored pieces, but judging from the pics I've seen (from ebay) it seems the only new one in issue 1 is the SDF1 from the chronology sheet.

Hope they correct some of the colouring mistakes from the first run. The VF-17S head error is the most glaring error IIRC.

Graham

I doubt they will. The reason I say this is because that and the weird face colouring on the VF-19S were still present in the data files included with the Macross 7 Blurays. So I'm guessing that's the official colouring now..?

I already mentioned that, but yeah... the joke's on us who paid to see it in a movie theater, huh? <_<

Technically Megazone 23, Gundam Unicorn, Yamato 2199, etc are all OVAs, but they were shown at the cinema and even had pamphlets produced just like FB7, though...

For obvious reasons, I've personally noted a lot of coloring mistakes in the original Macross Chronicle. Overall, the series has been pretty damned good considering the large number of mecha they had to color. And to be honest, the series did a far better job getting the colors right than I did with the initial version of my website. Granted, they had all the art books, production materials and HD reference I never did :)

For what it's worth, I'll always try very hard to get the coloring right on the Macross mecha for my website. I've got a ton of new coloring in the next release with a few corrections as well. But if anyone notices coloring errors in the new Macross Chronicle, or on my own website, please be sure to post about it or let me know. I rely on the Macross Chronicle heavily for color reference and would like to make sure I get it right more often than not.

Series Guide: All Macross Series Guideline

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRseriesguide/AllMacSerGui.php

Probably the most noteworthy thing on it is how the TV and OVA series are segregated into the main time line, and the movies (and MII) are not.

Anyhow, been taking a closer look at the VF-11B sheet from Issue #1 (and #29 from the original), and the text and artwork is virtually unchanged. There are some colour differences, but it's within the margin of error for the printers, and not that of any changes on the part of the writing staff. If anything, the Revised edition has richer colours.

Mechanic: Plus UN 03B: VF-11B

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRmechanic/PLUSun03bVF11B.php

Originally I was only planning to compare the sections of text between the original and revised editions that I had translated, but I ended up completing the entire sheet!

Not to mention fixing some ghastly translation errors... was I drunk and half asleep at the time...? :ph34r:

Anyhow, aside from the aforementioned changes (see the immediately preceding post) and page number changes, the sheets are exactly the same.

Timeline 01

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRtimeline/Timeline01A.php

Aside from the aforementioned richer colours, and tweaks to the translation, there are the following changes in the revised edition:

- colour SDF-1

- change to the right margin timeline (addition: establishment of the AUA; change: establishment of the UG delayed by 1 month). See linky for details.

Before I forget... the Timeline 01 sheet was renamed Timeline 01A.

Could this be because some timeline sheets are going to be doubled (a la an A and B sheet)? Or simply to make it consistent with the other numbered sheets?

Where #1 was

yeah-baby-yeah-thumb.jpg

#2 is...

62c423bf9636f6870c5fdacd2a5e2aab62bb1bd4

The Battroid YF-19 FAST Pack painting is nice. The Bandai 1/100 Fighter Mode series is neat. But the 4 sheets of episodes and lack of other new content is... well... see piccie above.

Edited by sketchley

Browsed through issue 2 in a bookshop, but I'm going to skip it. Might get issue 3, though.

Issue 2's feature on Episode 1 of Macross 7 does have that bit of info about it using 7000 cels, around twice as much as a regular 30 minute anime that I mentioned quite recently somewhere (they talk about it in greater detail in that "Macross Fastest Liftoff" TV special), but it also states that that's why the music scenes and battle scenes look so great... Yeah... :unsure:

#2 Contents: http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRseriesguide/MCRseriesguide.php#2

Now, if you're not a completest, you can probably give this issue a pass. The only thing truly worthwhile, not in the first series, is the YF-19 Battroid painting. However, if you're picking up issue 1, then you've already got a small thumbnail of it.

EDIT: before I forget, next issue is due out: 2013.02.05

Edited by sketchley

Glossary 01

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRglossary/Glossary01a.php

No changes to the images or text. Only real change is the sheet number: 01 := 01A

Nevertheless, I've cleaned up the translations and redid some (the ISC description might actually make sense now. Definite maybe.)

Gallery M: Minmei by Mikimoto Haruhiko

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/MCRgallery/Mminmei.php

Did it 'cuz I was curious and it not only looked, but was easy. :p

Anyhow, what's notable is the change from the first edition: the original was a foldout page with the two images on this page on the reverse. Does this mean that the Revised Ed. is opting to save the foldout pages for additional Mechanic Pages, like this week's YF-19 B sheet and next week's VF-19Kai B sheet?

Edited by sketchley