What was the first Macross toy(s) that started your collection?

UN Spacy

This question can go either way. :D

It could be the figure(s) that started off your collection while you were young and eventually stopped collecting. Or one that you picked up recently which reignited your love for all things with a Big West sticker (or both if you've had a collection since you were a young lad).

Got the Takatoku 1/55 VF-1J for my 6th Birthday from my folks (the first birthday gift I could remembered).

That seeded my love for Macross toy, but didn't start seriousely collectting Macross stuff till 20 years later (when I could actually afford my own stuffs)

Edited by Mowe

While its not technically a Macross toy, the Robotech Masterpiece VF-1S is what sparked the fire for me. Soon after buying that, I bought a couple more of the Masterpiece releases. I later found MW, which turned me on to Yamato. I've been on a depressing downward spiral into valkholism ever since.

Takatoku VF-1J. I remember that as the most advanced toy back then.

I didn't quite "collect" macross toys until Yamato 1/72 YF-19 though.

Yamato 1/60 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Roy on dec 2005

they don't sell macross/robotech toys over here, you must order them over the internet or by special invoice thru certain stores that as$rape you for the price if you dare to ask, I use to troll around on the internet looking at the MPC's thinking they were so cool, but it wasn't until I entered a store that sell limited toys and happened to see that beauty and I just thad to have it, about 10 months later, found MW and by looking at people beatiful collections I decided to start mine too, haven't look back ever since, no regrets, hehe

I found a used jetfire without the armor in an old school toys novelty store back in the early 2000s and had a joygasm. Then i read toyfare and saw that the MPC was coming out soon and i bought 2 VF-JS. Then i learned of the infamous 1/48 coming soon and well the rest is history. Although actually i was buying models and non transforming toys back during the 15th anniversary none of those really got me into the mass collecting and buying i do today. Ironically enough it was because of that issue of toyfare that i started collecting that magazine as well. Ahh the memories.

cheap 1/100s in the swap meet backn in 1983. They were $5 each. I didnt get a 1/55 until it was around 1990. Picked up a couple more 1/55s during the 90s then the reissue came out. I guess I never really stopped colecting since I started back in the 80s.

The first toy I got was a Jetfire back in 1985 (still got it), at the time Iwas all into TF`s and knew that this was a Roblowtech mech, I collected all the Imaii model kits I could find. Battletech came and when as a fix.

15 years later whilst working for I.B.M I was talking to a guy about childhood stuff and manga when we reminissed about Robotech. Bored and on the night shift waiting for the Tokyo office to start our test run we Googled Found Macross and Roblowtech and were hooked again. He is now a certified Manga nut , and transforming mecha is a major part of my life.

Yahoo auctions provided me with DVDs and VCD`s untill my first visit to Japan when I got Yamato`ed. Several grand in the hole and only a few years later Im here, running out of space and still collecting.

I'm still a noobie, but I bought the VF-0A right around the end of January... the second series of Toynami 1/100s, and 3 1/48 VF-1s (Stealth, Roy's S and Hikaru's S) have all followed in rapid succession... I'm hooked. :)

My very first Macross toy was this Arii Gerwalk monstrosity.

IPB Image

Living in a Macross depraved country, I thought that it was a dead franchise and that this was as good as it was gonna get.

Just look at those hands! Yuk!!!1

A couple of years went by before I found MW and learned about the existance of the holy 1/48. :D The 1/48 CF was the first toy that got my collection going.

oddly enough the first macross toy in my possession was a Millia Q-Rau. I bought a 1/60 Max a month before but the seller screwed up shipping twice, so i din't get it until 2 weeks after the Rau. That was only 5 months ago, so my collection is still a little meager, supplimented with cheaper Toynami products.(i really need to get a 1/48 someday)

Then i read toyfare and saw that the MPC was coming out soon and i bought 2 VF-JS. . Ironically enough it was because of that issue of toyfare that i started collecting that magazine as well.

I learned of the original Mac+ toys because of Toyfare---first issue I'd ever read of it.

i had soke robotech stuff when it first came out, mainly the matchbox veritechs and a few of the Tomahawks. I managed to find a Milia transforming kit which i just sklapped togetehr and played with in my mid teens. Then in 98 I found a jetfirwe second hand at a big toy/comic shop on a holiday in anaheim. that was all i had till years later i found out abot Yamatos YF-19, and it went from there :)

Heh, before i made up my mind (after some good web surfing) I was considering getting the MPC Veritechs. They looked NICE. Mostly in fighter mode of course. But i guess deep inside my heart i knew there was something better, so i ventured deep in MacrossWorld (and EBAY!) and i made up my mind on the 1/60 VT-1. Then maybe a couple of months later (not sure it's a fair while ago!) I got on ebay and bought a mint VF-1S Hikky. Those days they were first eds. and expensive enough! I always start late collecting things... >_>

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hi everyone

Loooong time lurker, first time poster. I first want to say, what a great information source you all provide for macross fans around the globe. I hope I can contribute in some small way to a postive community.

My first macross toy was bought back in 85 - for $55 dollars at the now long defunct, Silver Snail in Hamilton, Ontario. Damn....... that was a lot of money to drop on a toy as a kid back then :) - 1984 Bandai : Hi-Metal 1/55 Strike Valkyrie VF-1S Hikaru Type.

This toy really sparked a lot of imaginative play and you knew that nothing else was like it - so you would slap your friends wrist for touching it :p

here are some picks of my strike valk purchased back in 85 and still with me.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Throughout subsequent years, I would pick up items here and there - but not never went full throttle until recently. I have some yamato 1/60's and I'm looking to expand in the 1/48's

Cheers

Gabe

Edited by protodeviln

I used to see the Bandai issues in the import ads in the back of Game magazines and such but were WAY out of my range.

Years (like more then ten) later, I started having money and finally started looking into merchandise for Macross/ Robotech (admittedly it was under the "Robotech" banner) Then one day it hit me.. what's the one thing I've always wanted? My own Valkyrie! Models I can;t do, so I went and looked for toys.

I saw a 1-a Hikkie reissue and a "Masterpiece" 1-S on display at the local rare toy dealer. Both were striking me as ugly, so I was deciding which one I thought was less ugly ad though.. "this CAN'T be all there is."

Then it hit me. Between the time I was a child and now this thing called the Internet had been developed, so I spent five days becoming an instant expert on all things Macross/ Macross toy related and that landed me at Kevin's Valkyrie Exchange, (and eventually, Macross world) round the time the Yamato 1/48 was just coming out, I felt I was sufficiently educated and bought a super 1-J and a Roy 1-S as my first Macross toys.

Somewhere along the way in my research I also came to really hate Harmony Gold and Toynami and became a card carrying member of the Macross purists. Well, that's my story, so here I am, lol

Edited by Phren

Oddly enough, the first toy I remember owning from a Macross series was the Bandai VF-2SS model from Macross II. I spent a good deal of time putting that bad boy together and displaying it on my shelf in various modes, but it wasn't until I started collecting and displaying toys en masse (gotta give credit to Transformers for inspiring that one) that I started looking into Macross/Robotech figures.

ive only really just started collecting macrss/robotech items as im a tranformers person

but ever since i got jetfire i wanted some macroos/robotech items

so my first one was mpc miriya and ben dixon, so would like to collect the whole issues of tehse aswell but finding them hard, waiting on rick hunter and jacj archer then its just max and roy i need to get

hardest is goingt o get the armour a,b and c :( , but i will get there :)

my first yamato was dyrl cannon fodder, didnt have a clue how to transform him and ended up snapping his arm peg off :angry:

but he just stays in gearwalker mode now as i have a replacement and a few other 1/60s

im getting there and will get my collection up over this year until im happy

:D

though not Macross, the toy that got me started on Macross was a Legioss I saw at the swapmeet over 20 years ago. The $25 price tag on the legioss meant that I had to save up my lunch money for over a month. I got .60 cents a day for school lunch. In the meantime, I would visit my precious Legioss almost on a daily basis. All of a sudden, they added takatoku toys to there swapmeet store inventory. There in all there glory was Macross, Orguss, Batrain, ect.....Long story short. I did not eat lunch for months but ended up with a lot of Takatoku toys. Keep in mind that I had all these toys well before I knew what Macross was and before robotech was even shown on t.v. "The rest is history" as they say.