Jump to content
Tochiro

New Macross TV Series in '19?.. 2020?.. 2021?...2022(one of those years)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm looking more forward on a new animation treatment of the SDFM or any side stories in that timeline or something like a prequel (not Zero) pertaining to some of the key characters stories before their SDFM boarding or they could just make a straight OAV of the Macross The First. I know the manga is taking too long so why not just do an OAV of it. ^_^

Anyways, one can only hope, right? :rolleyes:

 

I'm still firmly in the "please don't do this" camp.  My fear is that whatever they do, it will be bad and somehow "taint" the original series.  Mainly with stuff like ridiculous fan service involving Minmei, a continued shift away from mecha action, and just a general sense that they would make it contain the worst of modern anime tropes.  How bad it could get really depends on what they decide to focus on.  An all-original cast that has very little to do with what we already know could potentially be ok.  But coming up with a reason to involve the SDF-1 and/or VF-1s, that would actually make sense in the timeline we know, could be difficult.

But even if the worst happens, we would still probably get some decent sequences involving VF-1s that we could watch in isolation.  I'm not much of a fan of Delta, but there is still some good mecha action to enjoy in there, if you can separate it from the rest of the content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Master Dex said:

That's fair to say for sure. Basara only contributed in the very end in helping the whales by what Frontier would describe as achieving fold resonance which apparently helps them breed... I guess... But last that Basara is just around for the ride (and Gamlin is only there to find him for Mylene, who has a rather distinct and questionable b plot). 

Still, it's probably the best Walkure 2: Protoculture Boogaloo can hope to achieve. 

TBH, I'd all but completely forgotten Mylene HAD a B-plot in Dynamite 7... it was so far removed from anything to do with the A-plot that it kind of flies under the radar.

 

31 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I have a feeling lady M is going to be someone we never heard of. The attempt at fan service SDFM/Megatoad (lol) May just fizzle..

One thing I concluded ages ago was that, with the available info about Lady M's history and activities, there was no way for Lady M to be an existing character... and definitely not one from Super Dimension Fortress Macross given that the fates of the principal and supporting cast were all reasonably well accounted-for in Macross 7 Docking Festival.  

Assuming Lady M is an individual person rather than an alias used by multiple people, a committee, cybernetic gestalt, or an AI, she'd have to be a Remember the New Guy? character from the First Space War era like several other characters:

  • Col. Millard Johnson from Macross Plus (his backstory, not delved into in the OVA, identifies him as a former member of the SVF-1 Skulls.  Possibly a case of showing their work, as a young black man IS seen as one of Hikaru's subordinates at one point.)
  • Naresuan from Macross the Ride (his backstory identifies him as one of the subordinate commanders in Vrlitwhai's branch fleet when it defected to the UN Forces)
  • Richard Bilra from Macross Frontier (his backstory also puts him as one of Vrlitwhai's subordinates during the First Space War)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

I'm still firmly in the "please don't do this" camp.  My fear is that whatever they do, it will be bad and somehow "taint" the original series.  Mainly with stuff like ridiculous fan service involving Minmei, a continued shift away from mecha action, and just a general sense that they would make it contain the worst of modern anime tropes.  How bad it could get really depends on what they decide to focus on.  An all-original cast that has very little to do with what we already know could potentially be ok.  But coming up with a reason to involve the SDF-1 and/or VF-1s, that would actually make sense in the timeline we know, could be difficult.

But even if the worst happens, we would still probably get some decent sequences involving VF-1s that we could watch in isolation.  I'm not much of a fan of Delta, but there is still some good mecha action to enjoy in there, if you can separate it from the rest of the content.

I also agree of your point. I'm not sure how Big West will handle it if ever, but Sunrise did it great on their Gundam The Origin OAVs. In which I'm hoping that they will continue it forward retelling their 0079 story.

The reason why I want to have something like that is because you're introducing it to the new audience and at the same time pleasing older fans of it. Because why would a new audience watch an old anime that looks like crap compared to how animes are done these days. Just a thought. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm looking more forward on a new animation treatment of the SDFM or any side stories in that timeline or something like a prequel (not Zero) pertaining to some of the key characters stories before their SDFM boarding or they could just make a straight OAV of the Macross The First. I know the manga is taking too long so why not just do an OAV of it. ^_^

Anyways, one can only hope, right? :rolleyes:

 

I'd be in for that as long as they keep the characters and designs true to the original.

I'd definitely purchase an anthology prequel if it contained an animated short of Operation Mona.B))

Edited by Podtastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BlackRose said:

Neither is Kawamori.  He's just the "series concept" guy when he's not drawing storyboards and designing robots.

Kawamori is basically like Lucas.  Somebody really good at coming up with great ideas but requires other masters of their craft to make them possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Kawamori is basically like Lucas.  Somebody really good at coming up with great ideas but requires other masters of their craft to make them possible.  

IMO, Kawamori's closer to being like Gene Roddenberry.

Kawamori's a fundamentally-optimistic idea man whose story concepts tend to be pretty good right off the bat.  Some of what he comes up with can be pretty "out there", but he's never needed the producers to keep him on a short leash.  Lucas was an unapologetically terrible idea man who could only function on the shortest of leashes but could innovate like a madman when other people were aggressively policing his work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These days, I take people who have actually lived or even just took a trip to in Japan/Asia a lot more seriously over aging holdovers from Robotech who have co-opted a lot a habits from moonlighting in that mess for a very long time and bring that garbage here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because if you haven’t been to Japan or Asia , you just don’t know..

Meanwhile , I’d like to see NUNS show up with some VF-24’s(or would they be 30’s by now?) and put Xaos on the run. Suddenly Hayate is on the wrong side and Delta flight has to go rogue, because NUNS has had with lady M and Xaos..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bolt said:

Meanwhile , I’d like to see NUNS show up with some VF-24’s(or would they be 30’s by now?) and put Xaos on the run. Suddenly Hayate is on the wrong side and Delta flight has to go rogue, because NUNS has had with lady M and Xaos..

Yeah, if the New UN Government was gonna send somebody to call Lady M and Xaos to account for illegal cloning, helping various wanted criminals evade justice, etc. they'd probably send a unit from the federal New UN Forces since Xaos are the only ones in the Brisingr cluster besides Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind to have 5th Generation VFs at present.

They'd probably be using the VF-24, since that design's their current main fighter and hasn't even been in service for a decade yet.

If the federal NUNS sent a VF-X special forces unit we might get to see their improved versions of colony-made VFs like the YF-29B Percival (Macross 30) or the YF-30B Chronos (Variable Fighter Master File).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, if the New UN Government was gonna send somebody to call Lady M and Xaos to account for illegal cloning, helping various wanted criminals evade justice, etc. they'd probably send a unit from the federal New UN Forces since Xaos are the only ones in the Brisingr cluster besides Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind to have 5th Generation VFs at present.

They'd probably be using the VF-24, since that design's their current main fighter and hasn't even been in service for a decade yet.

If the federal NUNS sent a VF-X special forces unit we might get to see their improved versions of colony-made VFs like the YF-29B Percival (Macross 30) or the YF-30B Chronos (Variable Fighter Master File).

If Hayate Immelman and the whole of Delta Flight die......well I might just blink after 6 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol!

I figure Delta flight would go rouge from Xaos and Walkure would costume up and sing Xaos into submission just as lady M is about to defeat the NUNS with her(their?) secret , ancient protoculture weapon.

who else wants to take a go at writing the next one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bolt said:

Because if you haven’t been to Japan or Asia , you just don’t know..

Too bad that it has become acceptable form of performance art to point and gawk from the other side of the world by people who think they know better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 8:08 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, if the New UN Government was gonna send somebody to call Lady M and Xaos to account for illegal cloning, helping various wanted criminals evade justice, etc. they'd probably send a unit from the federal New UN Forces since Xaos are the only ones in the Brisingr cluster besides Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind to have 5th Generation VFs at present.

They'd probably be using the VF-24, since that design's their current main fighter and hasn't even been in service for a decade yet.

If the federal NUNS sent a VF-X special forces unit we might get to see their improved versions of colony-made VFs like the YF-29B Percival (Macross 30) or the YF-30B Chronos (Variable Fighter Master File).

Whatever gets me more of those moulds in toy form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling Lady M is going to me Lynn Minmay. They mention Megaroad-01 in Delta and communication with Lady M. I was watching Flashback 2012 and I noticed her packing bags and her luggage had LM. Now I know that her name is Lynn Minmay and therefore her initials are LM. I know everyone is throwing out any female character with a M in their name, Misa , Milia, Mylene, etc., but who else knows more about the Minmay Attack and music than Lynn. It only makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t that be something...

I dunno , it seems dangerous to open that can of worms. It would raise many questions I doubt  Kawamori wants to answer..but what do I know (?) lol..

Edited by Bolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minmay doesn't fit the profile any more than any other character... we just don't have any existing character from the First Space War with an M-name who was a brilliant and wealthy industrialist.  Lynn Minmay was a great singer, but she wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and definitely wasn't the sort who could found and run an interstellar communications firm (especially since she went missing in deep space in 2016 and hasn't been heard from since).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Minmay doesn't fit the profile any more than any other character... 

Image result for zentraedi spies

Mystery Solved!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...