Post-Delta Megaroad Thoughts

MisaForever

I for one wouldn't mind a series or ova showing what happened to megaroad-01...if done right. My idea, well one of them, goes like this: a group of travellers are investigating the disappearance of the megaroad-01 by following its original course. Throughout the course of the series, flashbacks show various parts of the megaroads journey and eventually, their final fate. The other idea is a bit darker lol

2 hours ago, SkullSquadron01 said:

I for one wouldn't mind a series or ova showing what happened to megaroad-01...if done right. My idea, well one of them, goes like this: a group of travellers are investigating the disappearance of the megaroad-01 by following its original course. Throughout the course of the series, flashbacks show various parts of the megaroads journey and eventually, their final fate. The other idea is a bit darker lol

Event Horizon routine? ^_^ 

7 hours ago, SkullSquadron01 said:

Actually, never seen that movie lol

It's pretty good, IMO... at least as sci-fi horror goes.  Due to the subject matter and some incidental dialog it's often touted as an unofficial prequel to the Warhammer 40,000 setting.

(Thankfully, while hyperspace is still a weird place in most sci-fi it's not out-and-out terrifying like in Event Horizon.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nice model. Takes me back..I want one!

BUT- with the few hints and teasers we've gotten about Megaroad-01 , I can see the next series trying to add up some of what we've seen and heard , but only as it relates to a new story in the current timeline.

C'mon man,  the 35 anniversary should give some satisfaction, weather we like it or not , and homage to the story that started it all so long ago..!

They don't  have to reveal too much to pull this off..

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 4:53 PM, azrael said:

I would prefer it staying a mystery. Name dropping it like they did in Delta served no purpose to the story so I question bringing up at all. Megaroad's ship sailed a long time ago. I'm happy keeping it that way.

The thing about legends is they are enigmatic and that is what makes them powerful.  Try to explain it and it loses it power.  I have no issues with tossing out hints or clues to what happened to the Megaroad, but always stop short of telling the whole story.  Lady M being on the Megaroad, to me was  a mcguffin, it was something tossed out there to suprise fans and povoke speculation, nothing more.  The fact that she was never revealed or even further expounded on tells me it was a gimmick. 

The best pop culture reference to neutering a mythos is the SW prequels where Lucas reduced the enigma of the force to little bugs that could be quantifiably measured with a scanner.  It took the sequel trilogy under new management to begin to rebuild that enigma.  

So some things DON'T need to be seen and a series or OVA about the fate of the Megaroad is one of them.

Edited by Zinjo

On 5/30/2017 at 11:34 PM, peter said:

I would be happy if they animated Macross the First.

It would almost be like Macross got the Yamato 2199 treatment.

I'm rooting for this actually given the spate of Yamato's reboot (2199 & 2202) and recent LOGH: Neue These.

Although I'm more in favor of OAV format than a full series. 

On 5/28/2017 at 7:18 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

It's pretty good, IMO... at least as sci-fi horror goes.  Due to the subject matter and some incidental dialog it's often touted as an unofficial prequel to the Warhammer 40,000 setting.

(Thankfully, while hyperspace is still a weird place in most sci-fi it's not out-and-out terrifying like in Event Horizon.)

Wait... didn't they use a Space Fold, and Defold in a different dimension?

... so shouldn't that be: Thankfully, while Macross's Super Dimension is still a weird place, it's not out-and-out terrifying like in Event Horizon? :lol:

EDIT: now having gone and said that, Event Horizon definitely handled the horror of "intelligent life from an alternate dimension coming back into ours, possessing people, and sucking the Spiritia out of people" then Macross 7 did with the Protodevilin!

Edited by sketchley

I think I know exactly what happened to the Megaroad-01. 

On a dreary dark day in late 2016 on board the Megaroad all the crew and the civilians had no idea about what to do for entertainment. Minnay had a sore throat and couldn’t sing. 

So they started watching Macross Delta and after watching it Captain Hayase decided to just disappear instead and never to return. 

If this isn’t accurate, I don’t know what is. 

Hah! Or they would be like "wow, these NUNs are F'd up and what went wrong??"

then they would promptly leave their vacation wonderland to come kick some a$$. And show them how one idol can rock it!

I do like the mystery of The Megaroad-01 , if they can throw out little teasers and Easter eggs every so often , without having to go there, that's ok!

On 5/30/2017 at 8:34 AM, peter said:

I would be happy if they animated Macross the First.

It would almost be like Macross got the Yamato 2199 treatment.

You and me both brother!  The First was a fresh take on the original Macross story and made efforts to harmonize the cannon productions including DYRL.  I particularly liked the insertion that Max was a destroid pilot before joining the fighter jockey ranks.

Edited by Zinjo

On 8/28/2018 at 6:13 PM, sketchley said:

Wait... didn't they use a Space Fold, and Defold in a different dimension?

... so shouldn't that be: Thankfully, while Macross's Super Dimension is still a weird place, it's not out-and-out terrifying like in Event Horizon? :lol:

EDIT: now having gone and said that, Event Horizon definitely handled the horror of "intelligent life from an alternate dimension coming back into ours, possessing people, and sucking the Spiritia out of people" then Macross 7 did with the Protodevilin!

I would enjoy and R rated version of Mac 7 with truly terrifying Protodevlin.  THAT would be cool!  Though, such a production would only be produced as an OVA.  TV execs wouldn't put such a mature themed show on the air with "Macrsoss" in the title.

With the current trend of spin off movies and made for streaming series, here' s hoping Macross gets on board with some of that.

Edited by Zinjo

10 hours ago, Bolt said:

If any version of MACROSS makes it to Netflix, that would be something!

There is a version of the original Macross on Netflix, it's called Tech-something or something-Tech... I don't know. It has awful songs and it's heavily botched.  

18 hours ago, losun said:

There is a version of the original Macross on Netflix, it's called Tech-something or something-Tech... I don't know. It has awful songs and it's heavily botched.  

I've heard of that one! I think it is some sort of pirate bootleg dub?

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

I've heard of that one! I think it is some sort of pirate bootleg dub?

Clearly an auditory hallucination caused by swamp gas... I mean, who would be foolish enough to go and bowdlerize the show while replacing all the classic Mari Iijima tracks with a noise that sounds like someone inserting a barbed-wire buttplug into a parrot?

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Clearly an auditory hallucination caused by swamp gas... I mean, who would be foolish enough to go and bowdlerize the show while replacing all the classic Mari Iijima tracks with a noise that sounds like someone inserting a barbed-wire buttplug into a parrot?

Very descriptive, I can hear it!

But! Certainly doesn't qualify as MACROSS. 

(Hence the capital letters) bastardizations don't count  

So I'll stick to my earlier statement. 

I finally developed patience and watched the entire Delta series. It was good, really good (aside from song overkill).  Here is my Megaroad connection and  speculation; Misa was the captain; so she goes down with the ship (not lady M). Hikaru is gone (KIA) defending the ship. Minmay is the biggest threat of all (definitely a goner), so from an age an circumstance perspective I speculate Lady M is Misa and Hikaru's daughter: Miku. 

She'd be the one to have access to the background data, r and d, and- via inheritance; financial resources to develop Xaos for defense, protoculture r/d, psych ops, etc.

Minmay- I don't think big enough; nor would she have an interest.

Misa would've kept in the UN Spacy/ NUNS umbrella.

Hikaru doesnt aspire for anything higher than being a pilot IMHO. 

That's my take.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Based on how poorly the crew of SD-F1 was treated, (specifically the governing councils refusal to follow Misa and Glovals requests following their report at Alaska base, amongst other instances ).  I can't help but wonder how she would have handled governing or influencing what would eventually become NUNS. 

How would certain protocols and agendas be different..?

Like I've joked before, I'm sure if Megaroad-01 suddenly showed up, they'd be cleaning house.

44 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Based on how poorly the crew of SD-F1 was treated, (specifically the governing councils refusal to follow Misa and Glovals requests following their report at Alaska base, amongst other instances ).  I can't help but wonder how she would have handled governing or influencing what would eventually become NUNS. 

Almost all of that isn't really examples of the UN Government and/or UN Forces behaving badly.  They had to keep the civilians confined to the Macross because after the entire island they were on vanished in 2009 they covered up the fact that Earth had been attacked by an alien fleet to avoid a panic.  If the civilians were let loose, the cover story would've gone to pieces in a matter of hours before the UN Forces could complete their preparations to defend Earth.  They didn't act based on Misa's account of the size of the Zentradi fleet because she had literally no evidence to support it, and her abduction was a traumatic event which would naturally skew her perceptions.

Basically, their problem was that they tried to keep a cool head in a situation where even the most obscene level of overreaction wouldn't have been nearly enough to change the end result.

44 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Like I've joked before, I'm sure if Megaroad-01 suddenly showed up, they'd be cleaning house.

Considering what became of galactic politics after Megaroad-01 vanished, in all likelihood THEY'D be considered the ones in dire need of housecleaning.

After all, the New UN Government of the Megaroad-01's era was what evolved into the oppressive Earth-first entity that spent most of the 2030s and 2040s stamping out little civil wars on its various colony worlds and doing increasingly dubious sh*t until its own military launched an unsuccessful coup in 2050-2051.

(Given the sh*t the Macross veterans went through I'd expect they'd probably find the new checks and balances in the New UN Forces to be not only excellent, but WAY overdue.)

Just now, charles88 said:

Problem that their tech level are most likely outdated tech as they left Earth in  year 2012. 

But you were right as NUNS seriously need to reform as so many rogue element happen since Macross Plus.

Nah, anime logic says the smaller a population is, the more they advance technology over a given period.

1 hour ago, charles88 said:

I hope by traveling another galaxy, we get to see multiple type of sentient being that different than Protoculture and Vajra. Also whole new set of tech

Well... the Vajra are said to exist in other galaxies (see end of Frontier).

As for the Protoculture... I once ran a Macross RPG where the Protoculture had colonized a neighbouring galaxy (it was a riff on Stargate Atlantis).  So, it's likely that Kawamori-san will think of that, too.

However, as he tends to have different antagonists each series, I don't think you'll have to worry about them reoccurring in any capacity other than episodic antagonists (like the Zentradi in MF and MD).

12 hours ago, charles88 said:

But you were right as NUNS seriously need to reform as so many rogue element happen since Macross Plus.

Those "rogue elements" existed way before 2040.  Max and Milia spent a good chunk of their post-First Space War careers in the special forces dealing with anti-government types, and most of Isamu's service record was in various civil wars. 

12 hours ago, charles88 said:

Are you okay that next Macross series will feature Macross fleet go to Another galaxy like Andromeda?

I don't think they have the tech to get there yet... unless it's to one of the dwarf galaxies that orbit the Milky Way less than a galactic radius away.

Ultimately , it's probably best the fate of Megaroad-01 is a mystery. It's fun to conjecture and as long as we get the occasional clue or teaser, than would be just fine. 

I do see the benefits of tying the threads together in Macross. All these stand alone stories are somewhat well connected. Aside from the "Lady M" bomb (dud) that got dropped in Delta, the threads in that particular story were pretty thin..

• 6 months later...

While some in universe characters are obsessed with Minmay, most do not make a fuss about Megaroad-01 disappearance.

If you look closely Macross FB2012, there is a certain poetic license where Minmay is looking at herself walking down the street/ leaving in Megaroad-01.

Or is it? We know for certain lots of these early colonization efforts were accomplished via HEAVY CLONING. So, in fact, there may be a Minmay that departed AND one that remained. And although possible, probably not any aboard subsequent colonization missions. If she had, she would not be as sorely missed as she seems to be. But one which departed into legend and one that remained to live an anonymous, simple life? Entirely possible.

For me, Megaroad-01 collided into a star, was blown to bits by a Zentraedi fleet, discovered the WRONG protoculture relic, all of the aforementioned or any other reason. But is not such a loss, because most of the crew also departed on other colonization efforts as clones, until cloning was banned.

8 hours ago, Aries Turner said:

We know for certain lots of these early colonization efforts were accomplished via HEAVY CLONING. So, in fact, there may be a Minmay that departed AND one that remained.

I strongly suspect that, as a major celebrity known among essentially every human alive, Minmay was NOT cloned. Having multiple Minmays would risk creeping people out and lead to an anti-cloning backlash in a way that cloning "normal" people wouldn't. 

No one would KNOW if they ran into a clone of Vanessa on the street, a clone of a non-celebrity is just another person as far as almost everyone is concerned. But Minmay-2 is instantly recognizable and starts people actually thinking. "Wait, if there's a Minmay clone that looks and sounds and acts like the real one... what if they cloned me? Is there a doppelganger of me running around pretending he IS me? Am I going to be blamed for the things he did? "