Theres a whole generation of kids and young people who didnt have their own Ghostbusters, who, to them, even though its a great movie, its an old movie.

I dont know why all this was controversy leading up to this, because heroes are heroes, he said. It doesnt matter what gender they are, he added.

He's SO close to getting what the backlash was about

Yet remains deluded by ideology to blame sexism

He's SO close to getting what the backlash was about

Yet remains deluded by ideology to blame sexism

So if heros are heros and gender didn't matter, did he have to make it a point to make them all female? What a twat.

Paul Feig can go eat a bag of dicks.

Edited by peter

This honestly explains nothing. All it does is call the people who didn't like it misogynists, which we've already heard. And their conclusion the older fans are like Walter Peck is Tea Pot calling the Kettle black because making it all female is just the new "proper, approved fashion." Going their own way would have actually been a mix of male and female casting in the roles.

This honestly explains nothing. All it does is call the people who didn't like it misogynists, which we've already heard. And their conclusion the older fans are like Walter Peck is Tea Pot calling the Kettle black because making it all female is just the new "proper, approved fashion." Going their own way would have actually been a mix of male and female casting in the roles.

BTW, I was responding to Peter's question on the point of making them all female - which the article is really clear about.

So if heros are heros and gender didn't matter, did he have to make it a point to make them all female? What a twat.

Paul Feig can go eat a bag of dicks.

It's incredibly sexist to assume that a cast of female leads is due to sexism and not because those women happened to be the best for the roles.

It's incredibly sexist to assume that a cast of female leads is due to sexism and not because those women happened to be the best for the roles.

The original charaters were Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz, and Egon Spengler. It would be like doing a Star Trek reboot and rewriting James T Kirk, Sulu, McCoy and Scotty out of the timeline just to make the character females.

I find it difficult to believe that Feig could not find male or even a mix of male/females that could have fit the role of these characters. That he was only able to cast these four females (only two of them that actually have any particular talent) for these roles? No, he made it a point to cast females only in these roles to back his agenda.

640_ghostbusters_150825.jpg

I’m not sexist, I’m just not particularly thrilled when they make drastic changes like wiping out original charactersI’m not sexist, I’m just not particularly thrilled when they make drastic changes like wiping out original characters.

I used a Star Trek Analogy, but it could easily be applied to Macross. Macross the First was a good reboot of SDF Macross.......can you imagine the $hitstorm if they wrote out Hikaru, Roy, Max and Kakizaki and replaced them with completely with the cast of Sailor Moon?

Edited by peter

It is incredibly naive to think they cast them because they were the best for the roles. Basically, if they really were interested making everybody happy, they would have cast the remaining of original cast and handed the baton to the younger female group or mixed group. Since that was not a possibility, it would have been best to leave this franchise alone. Face it. Reboots hardly ever make everybody happy. It could be Robocop, Total Recall, Annie, etc. it doesn't matter honestly. They all have their detractors. This idea was doomed from the beginning.

It is incredibly naive to think they cast them because they were the best for the roles. Basically, if they really were interested making everybody happy, they would have cast the remaining of original cast and handed the baton to the younger female group or mixed group. Since that was not a possibility, it would have been best to leave this franchise alone. Face it. Reboots hardly ever make everybody happy. It could be Robocop, Total Recall, Annie, etc. it doesn't matter honestly. They all have their detractors. This idea was doomed from the beginning.

EXACTLY. A handoff would have been acceptable, but to wipe the original characters out of existence for no particular reason was just stupid. At least in Star Trek they chaulk up drastic changes to alternate timelines because of time travel.

Nah. It was only doomed by hardcore fans who were expecting Feig to pander to them. He didn't. Too bad. That's the same kind of thinking that gets a Macross fan believing that every iteration of Macross is no good unless it ends up like SDF-TV. Those fans will end up constantly disappointed, because these things are always changing. For those interested in tracking how the new film is doing compared with the original (instead of arguing hyperbole), here are the latest numbers:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Ghostbusters-(2016)/Ghostbusters

The only thing left to see is if the new movie has the same legs as the old (no pun intended). ;)

Edited by technoblue

Okay. Dynaman has an opposing viewpoint. So what? The beauty of being an adult is being able to disagree and still have a discussion. :D

I don't think the movie was ruined by political correctness. That's a cop-out excuse, although I guess it would be easier for some to peg it all on Paul Feig and those who actually went to see the film. I don't buy it, though. There were more machinations leading up to this, IMO. We have a good comedy team of veteran male actors—a team that stalled for years because one member, Bill Murray, had cold feet and didn't want to revisit the property. We have a movie studio, Sony, which couldn't successfully drive a decent sequel with the original cast without messing things up. We have a new director who wanted to make a true reboot without having any connection to the previous films. I think that was fair. But then the first trailer for the film went live and made a blatant connection and riled everyone up.

I'm not going to speak to the hyperbole. There was enough of that levied on both sides and it got ugly. I think Feig would have done better if he had just ignored it and let the movie stand on its own, but that type of quiet response seems to be less of how things get handled these days.

I must be getting old.

Edited by technoblue

Reboots generally mean to discard any continuity from the original in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning. The characters were Peter, Ray and Egon. Recreate, not wipe them out.

If the reboot has absolutely no ties to the original, why even call it a reboot? Reboots always have some connection with the original.

Not saying change is bad, but it has to be done in moderation. Yamato 2199 is a reboot where enough was changed that gave it a fresh look, but enough was left the same that it was still Yamato. There are good reboots and there are bad ones, and this one was a bad one (in the eyes of many it appears) because too much was changed.

Michael Bay's pushing the boundries on "rebooting" Transformers, and I personally hate all the live action films, but at least he kept the main characters somewhat intact, in name if nothing else.

Okay. Dynaman has an opposing viewpoint. So what? The beauty of being an adult is being able to disagree and still have a discussion. :D

Your kidding right? For the makers of the movie to call anyone who didn't like the idea of the movie misogynists and then make a character that is blatantly a racist portrayal (in the trailer) and then say "so what?"

I'm not saying there were not a number of blatantly sexist posts out there about the first trailer - but that does not excuse the trailer. Can't comment on the movie since after seeing that trailer I have no intention of watching it.

I have to agree that reboots don't do as well. If the subject is more 50 years old they do a bit better. The King Kong film did ok and Godzilla made some cash, even though I didn't like either. One reboot I loved was the Judge Dredd movie, but no one went to see it in the theatres, maybe for the R rating. I also think the robocop one was ok and had some very interesting ideas, but I would never choose it over the original. Annie was a subject that no one today even cares about.

Your kidding right? For the makers of the movie to call anyone who didn't like the idea of the movie misogynists and then make a character that is blatantly a racist portrayal (in the trailer) and then say "so what?"

I'm not saying there were not a number of blatantly sexist posts out there about the first trailer - but that does not excuse the trailer. Can't comment on the movie since after seeing that trailer I have no intention of watching it.

The video that A7 posted on the previous page "Scientist Man analyzes" really lays it all out. Sony and the filmmakers conduct after the fact was even worse. Completely put me off of the movie. I'd recommend watching the video if anyone hasn't yet.

Chris

Wow Danth, you have really, REALLY drank the Kool-aid and keep beating that party line and completely miss the point to what everyone is saying. At this point I think you are just trolling. Insert .gif showing any criticism toward a anything that has a female in it.....MISOGYNY!!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

C'mon danth, are you really accusing people who love a series full of excellent female characters of hating women?

Hasn't the movie already bombed and shown hollywood we are done with half assed remakeboots, why are we still arguing about it?

Yeah. The trailers were horrendous. I think the movie deserved better in that regard. Sony seems to have forgotten how to market its properties well.

As for the hyperbole from Feig's side? No, I'm not kidding. It's just a movie, no matter what anyone says. And even if I didn't like it, I have enough confidence in myself, enough of a thick skin if you will, to not care about what some random guy twits about because he can't stand the thought of the negative reviews. IMO, the controversy around it has nothing to do with me at all.

I can say the same about the reviews that A7 posted to this thread. That isn't to say that they were useless. Far from it, and some of them were very entertaining, but in the end I wanted to see the movie for myself and make up my own mind. It would have been easier to rage and go with the flow and the crowd. But that also wouldn't have been fair. I mean, I liked Ghostbusters, and I even sat through Ghostbusters 2 and found some good scenes in that movie.

Edited by technoblue

The real issue isn't if it was bad or good or man vs women, it's that nobody not even women wanted this film. That's the reason this film bombed and is in the hole for over $70 million and may be more with nobody buying the merch either or more marketing to try and get people to buy the video release that's coming.

Edited by Big s

JeC5Glr.gif

The crying man-baby tears in this thread are delicious.

They made ONE frakkING movie with women in it and the neckbeards lose their crap. Get over it! :lol:

The all-men-are-pigs-because-they-hate-this-movie in this thread is delicious.

Movies with women in it are fine, I loved The Force Awakens, with a Rey kicking the crap out of Ren. This is a "they raped my childhood" more than "I hate women". Get over it! :lol:

Edited by peter

I have to agree about that because everyone went to see Starwars with a female lead, but no one went to see ghostbusters. I think a lot of people are going to see rogue one and that has a female lead as well, but both movies are in the same universe without the reboot stigma.

I guess the lesson is don't make a favorite film irrelevant.

Edited by Big s

JeC5Glr.gif

The crying man-baby tears in this thread are delicious.

They made ONE frakkING movie with women in it and the neckbeards lose their crap. Get over it! :lol:

That's funny..... -_-

http://www.realsexism.com/

You can now go back to your echochamber and whiteknight for your professional victims club, I'm sure the poor defenseless damsels there can use you

While the rest of us go enjoy the GOOD and ORIGINAL movies with women in it

Edited by Nightbat

That's funny..... -_-

You can now go back to your echochamber and whiteknight for your professional victims club, I'm sure the poor defenseless damsels there can use you

Wow. For someone who's not a misogynist, you use a lot of of terms that misogynists like to throw around, and you link to their websites.

The all-men-are-pigs-because-they-hate-this-movie in this thread is delicious.

Movies with women in it are fine, I loved The Force Awakens, with a Rey kicking the crap out of Ren. This is a "they raped my childhood" more than "I hate women". Get over it! :lol:

to be fair then, Get over it. :)

I have to agree about that because everyone went to see Starwars with a female lead, but no one went to see ghostbusters. I think a lot of people are going to see rogue one and that has a female lead as well, but both movies are in the same universe without the reboot stigma.

I guess the lesson is don't make a favorite film irrelevant.

You can't compare star wars to anything especially GB which has been irrelevant to everyone outside of the age of 30-40 years old. it was dead and nothing was happening with it. No one should have cared this much about GB. just like robocop, total recall, conan, the thing.

That's funny..... -_-

...i had a really long response, but this isn't the place, i'm not your teacher...you can read about the history of women yourself.