Max the traitor?

ewilen

After Max follows Millia into the Meltran ship, he defeats her but in the meantime the Meltran ship knocks out SDF-1's main gun. Then the Zentradi fold in and scare the Meltrandi away with Minmay's singing.

Now then, as far as Max knows, he's on an enemy ship; he may be aware that the Meltrandi hate the Zentradi, but he surely can't believe this makes them friends of humans. So why did he agree to become "macronized" and turn into a Q-rau pilot? Just too bewitched by Millia's bodaciously ample beauty?

Yes, I know Millia did the same thing in reverse during the TV series, but she wasn't just seduced by Max's good looks and flying skills; she also succumbed to the richness of human culture--a society that doesn't just value war and conquest. By contrast, Meltrandi culture has nothing to offer besides killing and dying.

It seems to me that it's only when Bodolza kills Laplamiz, depriving the Meltrandi of their leader and making clear to Britai that Bodolza's willing to kill Zentradi if they stand in his way, that everyone unites against him. Up until that point, Max had to assume the Meltrandi were no better than the Zentradi.

So why did Max do it? Or is this just a big plot hole?

Millia in love with Max... blind love.... Millia captain of the ship.... Millia rules everyone.... Millia says "Screw the giants, the midgets have the mojo".... Max get in control of the ship by proxy.... Max becomes the biggest (literaly) covert ops in history.

There you have it. Max was a mole. :p

Remember that DYRL was originally meant to be a "retelling" of the events that occured during space war 1 made to fit into a 2 hour motion picture. As such, exact reasons for "why" or "how" things happened in DYRL are never that clearly relayed. I would say that Max becoming macronized and eventually flying a Q-rau was a more "interesting" way to recapture what happened in the TV series (which is Max ends up with Millia).

This is often a criticism of DYRL, because for it to make sense, you must previously see the TV series. DYRL is a poor stand-alone feature from a story telling point of view. However, after knowing the events in the TV series, all I ever want to watch over and over again is DYRL, with the beautiful animation and music.

Let's say this, your fighting a war against gaint aliens when you deafeat one that you find out is a HOT female. Plus you find out that you are the only male on board the ship. I don't know about you but I would stayed. Heck the examination process must've been fun.

lets go through Max's Point of view.

"Crap looks like I'm not getting out of here with my Valk."

*Gets out of heavily damaged VF-1s*

"Wonder what these Meltrans look like"

*Walks over to where Millia's Qaud Ra is*

*Millia's helmet falls off*

"Beautiful"

*Thinks for a moment*

"SCORE!!!"

*Ship folds*

This is often a criticism of DYRL, because for it to make sense, you must previously see the TV series.  DYRL is a poor stand-alone feature from a story telling point of view.  However, after knowing the events in the TV series, all I ever want to watch over and over again is DYRL, with the beautiful animation and music.

What he said. DYRL was made for SDF fans and popcorn entertainment for non-fans.

Well I say two possibilities

1. Max goes stays to figure out what the heck is up with the mel's, weakness', what they are, why they are like the way they are, you know gathering info.

or the more obvious

2. He is a P.I.M .P :lol:

OR you could combine the two max macronizes himself to uhhh "pump" the knowledge out of them james bond style. ;)

i agree with the "plot hole" of DYRL theory. DYRL is just too much story for 2 hours of anime. it has spectacular animation, but the story is just too rushed. actually, it's rushed in some places and overly drawn out in others.

plus, Max is just a pimp. :D

Max didn't switch sides, he convinced the MELTOHLAUEDY on Millia's ship that peace was the answer, and the only way to attain that peace was to defeat Gorg Bodolza. When the MELTOHLAUEDY ships de-folded, the only objective Max and Millia had was to assist the Macross in the destruction of Bodolza's mother ship.

Max didn't switch sides, he convinced the MELTOHLAUEDY on Millia's ship that peace was the answer, and the only way to attain that peace was to defeat Gorg Bodolza. When the MELTOHLAUEDY ships de-folded, the only objective Max and Millia had was to assist the Macross in the destruction of Bodolza's mother ship.

This is plausible, but do you have any evidence? It's hard to know what the Meltrandi were after when they folded in before the last battle. Bodolza thought they wanted to steal the secrets of Protoculture and use it against him. Max may indeed have told them enough to whet their curiosity, since Hikaru and Misa probably told him what they knew before the fight with Millia. But were they there to help the humans, or simply to continue their existing feud with Bodolza?

lets go through Max's Point of view.

"Crap looks like I'm not getting out of here with my Valk."

*Gets out of heavily damaged VF-1s*

"Wonder what these Meltrans look like"

*Walks over to where Millia's Qaud Ra is*

*Millia's helmet falls off*

"Beautiful"

*Thinks for a moment*

"SCORE!!!"

*Ship folds*

I'm with you on this one!

I always wondered about this. I just thought it was a creative decision to switch things around.

Though I would have loved to see what Millia's Valkyrie would have looked like in DYRL? Would it have been mostly red like in the TV series or like Hikaru's in DYRL? with a different shade of red?

Randy aka Powered Convoy

I always wondered about this. I just thought it was a creative decision to switch things around.

Though I would have loved to see what Millia's Valkyrie would have looked like in DYRL? Would it have been mostly red like in the TV series or like Hikaru's in DYRL? with a different shade of red?

Randy aka Powered Convoy

Hmm... maybe she would've gotten a 1s not a 1j. Probably entirely red or a different color all together like purple or something.

Max didn't switch sides, he convinced the MELTOHLAUEDY on Millia's ship that peace was the answer, and the only way to attain that peace was to defeat Gorg Bodolza.  When the MELTOHLAUEDY ships de-folded, the only objective Max and Millia had was to assist the Macross in the destruction of Bodolza's mother ship.

This is plausible, but do you have any evidence? It's hard to know what the Meltrandi were after when they folded in before the last battle. Bodolza thought they wanted to steal the secrets of Protoculture and use it against him. Max may indeed have told them enough to whet their curiosity, since Hikaru and Misa probably told him what they knew before the fight with Millia. But were they there to help the humans, or simply to continue their existing feud with Bodolza?

I have 2 pieces of evidence:

1.)

When Minmay started singing the behavior of Max and Millia indicated their happieness with the situation as they were smiling at each other. After that they were seen flying allong side the Macross and tearing up the Bodolza sided forces.

2.)

DYRL is based on the TV show and Max, was never a traitor there. In the TV show Max won over Millia, in the Movie Max won over Millia.