Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

I would die of joy if Yamato made a MAXL. Bring on the robo-boobies!

Count me in for one as well!!! I'd kill for a Mylene Valkyrie. She's one of my favorite girls from the Macross franchise and I'd love to have her Valkyrie. You know, we should really get a petition together.

If there wasn't, then Mylene would have like a VF-11C Kai, and not a MAXL Kai. If there's no basic MAXL, Mylene can't have the Kai version of it.

Well I'm thinking more along the lines of how the F-16XL program worked. It was a prototype that never went into production, but still was used by NASA for research. Arguably what they have now is a customized version due to the modifications they made.

I guess the question is what the "Kai" extension entails. For the Fire Valk and VF-17T, all it was was a face change and speakers. Kawamori may always say otherwise, but it doesn't make sense to me to rebuild so much of an existing plane just to add those changes. But then again, we are talking about a program run by Dr. Chiba, so all bets are off. :lol:

I think I'm over 10 episodes into Macross 7 now, and I have yet to see much of the VF-17T. I doubt Yamato would make one. I think the main reason the D/S models have so much appeal amongst fans is because they are what most of them wanted: straight up military Valkyries with conventional weaponry in lieu of sound energy, et al. You want aural energy and possibly visual kei references plus mouthed Valkyries? Go Fire Bomber. You want hardened steel, sheer brute force, bad assery even in silhouette, and a name that the design evokes in a good way? You go Diamond Force.

So far, I keep wanting to see Diamond Force in action more, because I like the design. It stands out well since the VF-11C and Fire Valk have mostly rounded surfaces, then you see these 3 chunky bad asses swoop in to attempt to save the day. VF-17 rules, the D and S models are where the money is at.

I took out my old bandai vf-17 chunky monkey the other day and just realised how much more intimidating the robot looks.

Unlike the vf-11 (which i want milia version of) I like that the main colours are dark instead of some flashy scheme. I think now that the bulky forehead adds to the scariness of this vf which I didn't care much for at first. If only S came out I'd get it, but we know yamato will milk it and release both.

But please give us the option to bend those knees forward in GERWALK like the other vf. Maybe it's not supposed to, but I love the idea that a VF can do the classic "point your feet forwards to do a hard brake" gerwalk move to slow down suddenly. I don't see why elite pilots should be forbidden from doing it, so please don't restrict the knees!

Also give us stiff ankles, not all of us have fancy stands to hang them in place to simulate zero g combat poses. Some of us just want them not to fall off the shelves in neutral looking pose with action.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I do have to admit that the VF-17 is one kick ass valk. As far as design goes, it's not as flashy or outstandingly striking as any of the other Valks such as the 19, 22 or even 25. I attribute this to its very compact and angular 'stealth' design. It doesn't stand out, but that's exactly why it's unique and in line with its intended purpose.

However, as great as it, I don't think I'll be picking one up (unless I suddenly win the lottery or something) as I base my collection on 'main character' Valks that are more 'one of a kind'. Not usually a fan of the grunt 'military' Valks as they don't really have any defining characteristics that differentiate them from one another. Not to mention, other than Gamlin, the other characters don't really get much screentime or development in the series, another reason as to why I'm not terribly excited for a Blazer. But that's just me. (^.^;)

Edited by Actar

vf-17 to me isn't a grunt though. It looks like it is equiped with way more tools than the standard issue vf-11.

It's just that the story is so focused on basaras quest to save whales and exorcise people from alien-demon mind control with sounds and mysterios magic that we easily forget the importance of the ordinary looking vf without a mouth on it.

They were not blown up as easily as the cannon fodders, they just look like a "more heavy" vf so it blends in.

vf-11 = easy to kill

vf-17 = hard to kill

vf-19 fire valk = amuro-ray-levels of plot armour with pinpoint barrier abuse to the point where you hope the underdog bad guys can actually suceed in getting at least 1 hit just to remind you that macross might still be a real robot show and not a super robot show. haha

I do have to admit that the VF-17 is one kick ass valk. As far as design goes, it's not as flashy or outstandingly striking as any of the other Valks such as the 19, 22 or even 25. I attribute this to its very compact and angular 'stealth' design. It doesn't stand out, but that's exactly why it's unique and in line with its intended purpose.

However, as great as it, I don't think I'll be picking one up (unless I suddenly win the lottery or something) as I base my collection on 'main character' Valks that are more 'one of a kind'. Not usually a fan of the grunt 'military' Valks as they don't really have any defining characteristics that differentiate them from one another. Not to mention, other than Gamlin, the other characters don't really get much screentime or development in the series, another reason as to why I'm not terribly excited for a Blazer. But that's just me. (^.^;)

It appeals to me because it looks menacing and dangerous. Imagine fighting some VF-11's then you see some Nightmares come out of nowhere, like "WHAT THE %^&*() IS THAT THING?". The D/S head sculpts reek of deadliness too. Overall it looks bad ass. Sure it was not the most powerful once the Blazer arrived, but it was still unique nonetheless. Less of a superheroic silhouette when compare to the Excalibur(s) but more of a "DUDE I AM GOING TO KILL YOU" appearance/1st impression. Hence why a chunky battroid mode on the toy is important to me.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

To me its more about the look more than characters. Even though vf-11 gets blown away in the backgrounds in mac7 it still looked ok in mac plus when it rescues dysons yf-21 from falling to its doom as well as when fighting rogues using zentradi powered armour.

vf-17 is a nice break from skinny vfs like sv-51 and vf-11.

Don't think its fighter mode is all that special though. I like vf-11 better.

vf-17d-diamondforce-gerwalk.gif

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this question was already answered, but in Gerwalk mode, the arms are not supposed to extend out and remain as guns right? Is there a reason for this?

Pic from MMM.

Edit: You know what? Looking at it more and thinking it over, I just might spring for one after all (depending on the price). The possibilities for Gamlin X Basara scenes are endless! And if they do make a Mylene Valk (which I pray to God they will), reenactment of this scene is a must:

Macross72502186616-15-10.jpg

Edited by Actar

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this question was already answered, but in Gerwalk mode, the arms are not supposed to extend out and remain as guns right? Is there a reason for this?

i guess cos the vf-17 is the only valk design with guns at the elbows.

but it still can be extended like during the scene where gamlin catches mylene when she dropped from her valk that was crushed by guravil.

100_1021.JPG

I wasn't much of a fan to any M7 mech. but I have become fond of the VF-17.

It's mean, imposing, and different. It's not the agile type, but power type, which only existed before in Armored valks.

And not to mention that Gamlin is a decent guy.

I find that sort of a weird take. My attitude has always been, "If it looks cool, I want one." I don't care who flew it, how much screen time it might have had or if it's at all unique.

There was one scene in Macross 7 where Mylene and Gamlins valks were landed side by side in Gerwalk mode and both had the noses facing down, so I think the knees of the 17 were bent all the way forward in that scene. I forget which episode though, but it might have been one of the ones where they went looking for Basara after he had run off.

i guess cos the vf-17 is the only valk design with guns at the elbows.

but it still can be extended like during the scene where gamlin catches mylene when she dropped from her valk that was crushed by guravil.

The YF-21 / VF-22 also has guns in the same elbow position.

True, but those were also double sided somehow :huh: Though, I don't remember seeing the guns ever fire forward in fighter mode, so they may have been just the rear end of the gun protruding for some reason. I do remember thinking those were mounted so far back it might be dangerous to fire them forward in fighter. We did see the other ends of those guns used like Q-Rau guns in battroid though.

Anywho, apologies for distracting the topic with sound force stuff so much. I really don't think they'll bother with the VF-17T, though I personally like the longer nose on that one.

I plan on getting at least one of these, probably two, but I really can't decide which ones I'd want. Ideally, I'd get a Millia S and Gamlin D model, but I don't know if I want to wait to see if they make the red one before getting an S.

I plan on getting at least one of these, probably two, but I really can't decide which ones I'd want. Ideally, I'd get a Millia S and Gamlin D model, but I don't know if I want to wait to see if they make the red one before getting an S.

I'd get two Gamlin Ds myself, and that's it. Feel very little motivation to buy a Milia mecha without her Max counterpart :).

True, though I kinda see this as making up for the fact that Max has always had more planes to begin with. I've bought every M&M valk pair so far (no Q-Raus though), but I have a TV and DYRL Max 1A, so he's ahead by 2 right now. ^_^

If they ever do a VF-11 pair, I'll get those too. I would have bought every one of Max's valks too, but I've never felt the need to buy more than one of a particular paintscheme, and they didn't release a fast pack bundle of Max's 1S, so I got his 1A instead.

I really do want a Millia VF-17 though, and I can always pair her up with my Max VF-22 if I have to. I mean, come on, it's a bright red stealth fighter. I can't pass that up. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

Went back and re-read the entire thread and honestly, if Yamato is able to execute all the gimmicks correctly, gunpod hatch, missile bays, landing gear, beam add-on barrel and cockpit, consider me sold!

There was one scene in Macross 7 where Mylene and Gamlins valks were landed side by side in Gerwalk mode and both had the noses facing down, so I think the knees of the 17 were bent all the way forward in that scene. I forget which episode though, but it might have been one of the ones where they went looking for Basara after he had run off.

It might have been the episode where they first land and and explore the planet that the other colony was going to settle. I think Gamlin and Mylene land and she looks around and starts crying.

Also in the opening credits where they show Diamond force skim the ground in gerwalk mode, I swear I see the legs bent forward a bit.

Am I wrong? I think Yamato would implement forward bending knee joints though for the Yamato signature aggressive gerwalk poses.

Went back and re-read the entire thread and honestly, if Yamato is able to execute all the gimmicks correctly, gunpod hatch, missile bays, landing gear, beam add-on barrel and cockpit, consider me sold!

I don't think the missile hatches are going to be high on the list though unfortunately.They skipped it on the VF-22S.....

During the polar star Max run he fires from the missile bay.

Edited by Loop

True, but those were also double sided somehow :huh: Though, I don't remember seeing the guns ever fire forward in fighter mode, so they may have been just the rear end of the gun protruding for some reason. I do remember thinking those were mounted so far back it might be dangerous to fire them forward in fighter. We did see the other ends of those guns used like Q-Rau guns in battroid though.

Those elbow guns are double sided lasers, that's why they are so compact.

Personaly I dont like very much the gerwalk mode however for the nightmare I belive is the only valkyrie that justify the mode and does not appear like a single half transformation stage between fighter and battroid I cant wait to have bad dreams :rolleyes:

Personaly I dont like very much the gerwalk mode however for the nightmare I belive is the only valkyrie that justify the mode and does not appear like a single half transformation stage between fighter and battroid I cant wait to have bad dreams :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, while many don't seem to like Gerwalk modes overall, I absolutely love them. Especially after playing the various Macross games (Macross Ultimate Frontier, etc...). Gerwalk really offers a brilliant balance between maneuverability and speed. There are some things you can't do in either Fighter or Battroid mode that can be done in Gerwalk mode. Not to mention, I really adore the classic walker-mech aesthetic.

Just to clarify, the VF-17's forearm beam guns have barrels in both the wrist and elbow, just the elbow ones extend out, where the wrist ones don't.

The wrist/elbow beam gun feature was something General Galaxy decided to reuse for they follow up VF, the YF-21/VF-22.

Graham

Just to clarify, the VF-17's forearm beam guns have barrels in both the wrist and elbow, just the elbow ones extend out, where the worst ones don't.

The wrist/elbow beam gun feature was something General Galaxy decided to reuse for they follow up VF, the YF-21/VF-22.

Graham

Ah, that would make sense. But is there a reason for the awkward leg positioning (sans forward knee bend)?

The shoulders. No idea how many (some say up to 16, but I dunno if that was ever confirmed in any lineart).

Count me as a fan of this one. It's more than a little ananchronistic given that the old F-117 design's stealth shape was largely useless by the late 90s thanks to radar developments, but the shape is just damn cool.

Mark

I just replaying Macross VFX-2 and I realized something. I thought that MBL (Mega Beam Launcher?) on that game is the same gunpod-with-beam-adapter thing that Gamlin used. But apparently, it's an entirely different weapon.

post-9548-0-64695400-1308005731_thumb.jpg

post-9548-0-54586400-1308005764_thumb.jpg

Compare that to standard gunpod (although that gunpod fires laser on that game somehow)

post-9548-0-46312200-1308005847_thumb.jpg

And Brando's 17S unit

post-9548-0-54821700-1308005895_thumb.jpg

Slim chance that obscure weapon will have any toy form, but hey, maybe someone will be inspired enough to scratch build it.