Yamato Sale @ HLJ (Finally!)

BlueMax

Up till now I have been collecting yamato 1/48's VF-1's. I allready oredered a reissue packaging 1/48 VF-1S from HLJ last week.

Now I'm looking for a more exotic 1/60 yamato from macross plus or macross zero, which mold is the best quality wise?

YF-21 and SV-51 respectively, both got rather rave reviews and not many widespread complaints regarding qc.

Define "best"?

What are you looking for in a toy that you would describe it as such?

I mean does the TV version have any QC issue that I should know about? How does this one compare against the DYRL version equipment wise? Is there any advantage between owning one over the other?

Edited by foxhound2001

I mean does the TV version have any QC issue that I should know about? How does this one compare against the DYRL version equipment wise? Is there any advantage between owning one over the other?

I haven't heard of any QC issues with this release.

The TV release sans FAST packs is the only release in the 1/60 v2 line that includes Roy in his TV style flight suit.

It has the newer style crotch lock.

It's whiter than the DYRL? versions.

Comes with the bubble styled fixed pose hands rather than the more mechanical DYRL? styled fixed pose hands.

Arrows on the head are black instead of yellow just like the TV series.

There aren't any real advantages, imo, just depends on your preferences.

The TV Roy has smooth shoulder pins (at least mine did)

Here's a clickable slideshow comparing the Strike DYRL Roy with the stand alone TV Roy

th_YamatoTVRoy7-08-2010001.jpg

Personally I prefer the TV Roy but be aware the white will inevitably yellow over time.

Hey when you get your renewal version, can you leave a comment on quality?

Mine is missing one of the vernier thrusters and when I pulled out of the box there was a massive gap on the left side

where the body and the intake are supposed to come together and would not hold together properly and wants to pop

apart.

I like the YF-21/VF-22S. If looking for something from the Zero line try the VF-0S re issue. I have the old issue VF-0A/VF-0S with ghost booster combos so I am not sure how the QC is on the new VF-0x's

Okay will do, can take a week or 2 as i used SAL shipping on this one.

VF22S is probable or a VF-0S

Is the 1/60 Yf-19 really as bad as I read alot?

Is the 1/60 Yf-19 really as bad as I read alot?

While I suppose it generally can be better, but I think the main problem was people's expectation for it, and the fact that had to suffer the fate of seemingly better Yamato VFs being released after it. I though it was still pretty ok, especially in fighter mode as long as it isn't viewed from the side.

The TV Roy has smooth shoulder pins (at least mine did)

Here's a clickable slideshow comparing the Strike DYRL Roy with the stand alone TV Roy

th_YamatoTVRoy7-08-2010001.jpg

Personally I prefer the TV Roy but be aware the white will inevitably yellow over time.

I don't really know much about the shoulders since this is the second macross toy I will ever own. I got VF-0S with ghost boosters atm and even now I'm still afraid I will break it if I try to transform it... I'm going to need a guide on how to transform this valks lol.

You guys are great! Just place my order an hour ago for the TV version which is a steal for the price HLJ is asking for compared to the other retailers.

Edited by foxhound2001

Good gawd! What did you order?

The 1/2000 scale Macross. Its held up in customs right now, but hopefully it will be realeased today. If putting together the fiberoptic lighting system for the ship and display in the meantime. I'll be sure to post pics of the process.

I don't really know much about the shoulders since this is the second macross toy I will ever own. I got VF-0S with ghost boosters atm and even now I'm still afraid I will break it if I try to transform it... I'm going to need a guide on how to transform this valks lol.

You guys are great! Just place my order an hour ago for the TV version which is a steal for the price HLJ is asking for compared to the other retailers.

I have a Vf-0S and at first I was afraid to transform it since the shoulders were so tight, but I loosened some screws and now it transforms with no problems. As for the Roy, you will NOT be dissapointed. I have the DYRL? Anniversary version and it is hands down one of my favorite toys of all time. I ordered a TV Roy to keep MISB.

Edited by pud333

If it hadn't been for the 40% off on these and the 1/2 price shipping I would not have gotten them; as it is though, I'm quite happy to have made the purchase... problem is that now I'll just have to eventually get a Focker 1S, and a 1D, and CF,and a VT-1, and.... Ouch!... my wallet just kicked me...

Toldya. ^_^ There are Valkaholics Anonymous meetings every thursday at 7pm, new members have to bring donuts. :lol:

Sadly though, you might have a tough time completing any kind of collection at this point. Some of the earlier releases just aren't around anymore (depending on the retailer). I know HLJ stopped carrying some of the older ones. I'm glad I got my VT-1 last year at this time when it was marked way down, I haven't seen HLJ carry that or the VE-1 for a while now. Fortunately, the TV Roy is new and easy to get still, and the 1D is a classic that probably won't disappear for a while.

Besides though, getting the VT-1 would open you up to DYRL, and you're probably safer sticking with just TV ones.

I'd rather they had 50% off EMS instead. Every time I use FedEx, I get charged duty and tax for it here in Canada (except when the product is super cheap of course). FedEx Canada seems to have their own customs papers and they fill them out all the time unlike Canada Post (which handles our EMS). I only get dinged 1 out of 10 times with EMS. The worst is the fact that FedEx always seems to have a higher price on the product shipped (like WTF???)... ergo making the charges even more. Anyways, I least I got my valk on sale and 50% off shipping.

Edited by D_Unit

Probably old news, but Kotobukiya and Yamato has just joined HLJ's "our price" system! The only caveat is that there won't as many sales as now, if HLJ's newsletter is to be believed.

I just hope we won't end up actually spending more, if HLJ cuts down on their sales.

I'd rather they had 50% off EMS instead. Every time I use FedEx, I get charged duty and tax for it here in Canada (except when the product is super cheap of course). FedEx Canada seems to have their own customs papers and they fill them out all the time unlike Canada Post (which handles our EMS). I only get dinged 1 out of 10 times with EMS. The worst is the fact that FedEx always seems to have a higher price on the product shipped (like WTF???)... ergo making the charges even more. Anyways, I least I got my valk on sale and 50% off shipping.

Yeah, Fedex isn't worth it in Canada. I usually just go SAL or EMS.

The 1/2000 scale Macross. Its held up in customs right now, but hopefully it will be realeased today. If putting together the fiberoptic lighting system for the ship and display in the meantime. I'll be sure to post pics of the process.

I hope it gets to you safely because I hear custom tears up the box for inspection. But anyways, do you plan to paint your 1/2000?

I hope it gets to you safely because I hear custom tears up the box for inspection. But anyways, do you plan to paint your 1/2000?

Yeah, I know...here's hoping it arrives undamaged.

And yes, I'd like to enhance the existing detail with a paneling treatment, as well as stress and aging. As for the display, I'm on the fence. Either a cruiser mode/dry dock diorama, or attack mode/lake city scape....or both!

Yeah, I know...here's hoping it arrives undamaged.

And yes, I'd like to enhance the existing detail with a paneling treatment, as well as stress and aging. As for the display, I'm on the fence. Either a cruiser mode/dry dock diorama, or attack mode/lake city scape....or both!

I'd say pick the mode that best represents a scene that you liked best from DYRL movie. I like the scene where it annihilated the enemies fleet in space then made its way to earth in bot mode. Anyhoooo, mine has arrived! My bad for the pic. Flipped it and it still came out upside down ;(

IMG_01101.jpg

Is the 1/60 TV version VF-1S the best 1/60 for Roy?

Quickly became one of my favorite valks, though still behind VF-22 Gamlin. I'd call it neck and neck with my YF-19FP and VF-27 (VF-27 is kinda falling given how loose the limbs are getting and hard it gets to repose it with the huge gunpod after not touching it for a long time).

Wicked haul GHQ. Thanks for posting!

Here is my haul. Nothing special but they look nice. I still have a TV Roy on the way.

P1060001.jpg

For those curious, these do in fact have the clear canopies and new crotches. These are perfect, much like my DYRL? anniversary Roy. No issues at all so far beyond a sticky canopy on my Max that wouldn't open for a bit. The box is exactly the same size as the DYRL? anniversary VF-1S. I probably won't transform these very much, but my DYRL Roy I've transformed a few dozen times and there are no issue at all beyond some plastic wear and paint wear in certain spots, but that's natural when you abuse your toys like I do.

Edited by pud333

For those getting the valks delivered to the USA via FedEX, do you guys ever get charged for duty, taxes, other fees? I was thinking of getting the items shipped to Point Roberts, WA and driving over to pick them up there. But if it could be charged duty/taxes, then it would be a hassle for the mail service located there.

UNSpacy

Yeah, Fedex isn't worth it in Canada. I usually just go SAL or EMS.

Hello All,

The 1/2000 Macross has just arrived and ...........................holy crap... Man, I can't even get into it right now.

I'll be posting the build up in the model section when work gets underway. I know you've all heard it before, but the engineering on this this is outstanding. Here's the factory shrinkwrapped sub-assembly of the ARMD carrier with a 1/60 scale valk for scale.

More to come!

post-4655-12925413672_thumb.jpg

For those getting the valks delivered to the USA via FedEX, do you guys ever get charged for duty, taxes, other fees? I was thinking of getting the items shipped to Point Roberts, WA and driving over to pick them up there. But if it could be charged duty/taxes, then it would be a hassle for the mail service located there.

UNSpacy

That would be a great idea to avoid the taxes and duty charges. I live in WA state and never pay any fees for Fed Ex.

Damn! Now I'm tempted to get both the 1/2000 and the 1/3000. Looks like all my VF-1As CF are the newer clear canopy. This blows as I was digging that orange-like tint effect. Oh freakin well!!

I got 4 CF with rainbow coating we can trade if you want.... :D