any huge R-Type fans of the original here?
i've been playing it the last few nights coming home late from work.
my challenge: for anyone who knows what i'm actually rambling about, has been to knock out the unreachable turret guns on top of the stage 3 battleship...
XWRmKwUl.png
they're almost unreachable bc the screen and ship movements forces the R-9 under the battleship not allowing you to get above where the guns are located. by the time you get around to top, the screen has scrolled pass the guns making it too late to hit them.
i've been jamming my force unit up there to take out those guns and try using the force unit to try and kill the core engine early before the boss music starts.

For some reason, I can't remember beating the original R-Type. I know I played it mostly in the arcades and didn't beat it there. I had it for Turbografx and I don't think I still own it. I liked the SNES Super R-Type more than the original.

Anyway, you can control the shield to return to your ship. I believe in those instances you are supposed to launch it and call it back, if the shield can shoot in this version. Thus destroying the guns before you go under the ship. Unless I'm confusing this with the ship in Super R-Type.

picked these compilations up today for ps2

xVt6vAnh.jpg?1

wRbACDPh.jpg?1
i'm going to goof off with some Operation Wolf and Thunderbolt
then play some 1941 =)

Taito Legends 2 is awesome for Elevator Action 2 and a few others.

Guest davidwhangchoi

For some reason, I can't remember beating the original R-Type. I know I played it mostly in the arcades and didn't beat it there. I had it for Turbografx and I don't think I still own it. I liked the SNES Super R-Type more than the original.

Anyway, you can control the shield to return to your ship. I believe in those instances you are supposed to launch it and call it back, if the shield can shoot in this version. Thus destroying the guns before you go under the ship. Unless I'm confusing this with the ship in Super R-Type.

Taito Legends 2 is awesome for Elevator Action 2 and a few others.

yeah elevator action was awesome in the arcades

Guest davidwhangchoi

Anyone remember this game, used to play it on the Commodore 64.

oh i love Solomon's Key,

i had that for the nes, that was so fun.

• 3 weeks later...

i want to buy splatterhouse for the retro experience but it's too damn expensive

Which Splatterhouse? It does seem to be expensive for complete Turbografx and Genesis versions. I only played the first two. I remember the different looking mask on Part 3 made me pass on that one.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Which Splatterhouse? It does seem to be expensive for complete Turbografx and Genesis versions. I only played the first two. I remember the different looking mask on Part 3 made me pass on that one.

i'm trying to get it for the turbo grafx and genesis. yeah, i agree the prices are too high :wacko::p

i'm trying to get it for the turbo grafx and genesis. yeah, i agree the prices are too high :wacko::p

The whole trilogy? I guess you like horror or Friday the 13th. I imagine the Friday the 13th influence is why the games are fairly high priced. There are a few complete retro games I have on my list to get. Most don't cost that much yet. If you just want to play Splatterhouse perhaps just go for the incomplete games.

There is a new thing with graded games. It sounds silly as they are basically grading sealed boxes in many cases. But if it's a game you really want and it's in like new condition. I would watch for those. As if you've seen comic book grading, that stuff can get very expensive.

There is a new thing with graded games. It sounds silly as they are basically grading sealed boxes in many cases. But if it's a game you really want and it's in like new condition. I would watch for those. As if you've seen comic book grading, that stuff can get very expensive.

Game grading isn't new, and is likely a huge part of the inflation of old game prices.

And it doesn't just sound silly, it IS silly. Made worse by the fact that the graders don't actually know what they are doing, and that the protective boxes they seal the games in DON'T PROTECT THE GAMES(open to the air, no UV-reflective coating).

Huh don't think I've ever heard of people trying to grade games like comics, do they take out or replace the small batteries in the Snes, genesis, etc cartridges before they seal them?

Of course not. That would make sense/ruin the minty original goodness.

Especially since they "only grade factory-sealed packages"... except when they grade a resealed package because they're idiots, or grade a package from a system that didn't ship with a plastic wrap, or grade a prototype because they're rapacious creeps... you get the idea.

The best was a case where they packaged a Metal Gear Solid game+cheat book combo package... in a box too small for the package, and "protective" case actually damaged it.

Oh, and the only graded prototypes I've seen, they removed the protective stickers from the EPROMs. EPROMs which are erased with exposure to UV light... and sealed in a box that offers no UV protection...

And the cost for grading a game is not fixed. It is a percentage of what they estimate the fair market value to be. Aside from being a fee blatantly unrelated to the actual service rendered, it also gives them a heavy incentive to overestimate value.

Basically, the VGA are terrible.

Edited by JB0

• 3 weeks later...

Huh don't think I've ever heard of people trying to grade games like comics, do they take out or replace the small batteries in the Snes, genesis, etc cartridges before they seal them?

I did more searching and videogame grading really does come off as a scam for people trying to get more money for sealed games. There are a few youtube videos and sites about it. Videogame grading is nothing like comics as there is a point to grading old comics and they go through the comic book condition. Where with videogames people just want the unopened factory sealed plastic box. The majority of which are graded in the 80 range according to a youtube video. I've come across people that used to rewrap games to return for full credit at stores that didn't know the difference between a factory seal and an in store seal. Don't ask me why stores were sealing opened games. I know Gamestop opens games and sells them as new. That's why I don't buy there at all. But videogame grading seems like the worst type of collecting.

I did more searching and videogame grading really does come off as a scam for people trying to get more money for sealed games. There are a few youtube videos and sites about it. Videogame grading is nothing like comics as there is a point to grading old comics and they go through the comic book condition. Where with videogames people just want the unopened factory sealed plastic box. The majority of which are graded in the 80 range according to a youtube video. I've come across people that used to rewrap games to return for full credit at stores that didn't know the difference between a factory seal and an in store seal. Don't ask me why stores were sealing opened games. I know Gamestop opens games and sells them as new. That's why I don't buy there at all. But videogame grading seems like the worst type of collecting.

I do know why Gamestop opens games. It's to display the boxes, and to deter theft. I remember way (way way) back when you could get a box (and they were way bigger too) off the shelf, and hear the bits shifting about inside.

And as an aside, I think that the hugely inflated prices for original carts and boxes is overrated. The last time I went shopping for retro games to play I was shocked to see prices in the $30-50, with a few $100 and up floating about. Honestly, I think this market is due for a rather nasty crash.

Yeah game grading does seem like a waste of time and money based on what you guys are saying. I'm fine with going to the local retro game shop and buying a cart with no box, they even do returns in case it doesn't work.

I do know why Gamestop opens games. It's to display the boxes, and to deter theft. I remember way (way way) back when you could get a box (and they were way bigger too) off the shelf, and hear the bits shifting about inside.

And as an aside, I think that the hugely inflated prices for original carts and boxes is overrated. The last time I went shopping for retro games to play I was shocked to see prices in the $30-50, with a few $100 and up floating about. Honestly, I think this market is due for a rather nasty crash.

I know why they do it too, and they deserve a lawsuit for it. It's false advertising to present something and charge for it as new when its already been opened and touched by someone else.

When I used to go to Gamestop stores they were always a mess. I remember back in the day getting videogames at Toys r Us. I think the stores I used to go to are closed now. But they had tickets for games and the game titles or one box was behind glass or plastic. You would pull the ticket and take that to the register, pay, then go to another locked electronic area to get the game before leaving. If Gamestop was so concerned about theft they could do something like that. They could get print outs of the game cover art and back information easily.

I'm all for getting those old NES, SNES, and other boxes in good condition. Many people like myself tossed the NES boxes. And I would prefer the original game on the origin system to whatever new remastered port that turns up. Some of which have new problems. The company that works with Capcom is notorious for bad versions of old games. I just think it's crazy to grade a sealed box and for that sealed game to be worth more than a opened game that someone kept in mint condition. To use comics as an example, the Comic Grading Company doesn't grade comics in plastic. They open them.

Yeah game grading does seem like a waste of time and money based on what you guys are saying. I'm fine with going to the local retro game shop and buying a cart with no box, they even do returns in case it doesn't work.

I would still try to get as complete a copy as possible. Just because you never know about the rarity of some old games. I remember not liking Dracula X on SNES as I own the original release on PC Engine. That was one of those $100+ import games. But apparently the SNES version is rare and goes for a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Diver

You've been down too long in the midnight sea

Oh what's becoming of me

Ride the tiger

You can see his stripes, but you know he's clean

Oh don't you see what I mean

Gotta get away

Holy Diver...

...and here I was wondering about classic Game OSTs, bloody shame it didn't use actual DIO melodies :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kinda sad that they don't have small SD cards to add more games to the library. Does anyone know how you can add more games? Is it linked to the Nintendo online store?

I'll have to look for a link, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo said that the games it comes with are all you get, forever.

I don't understand why Nintendo restrains itself to a fixed set of games. If you could open the flap and put an SD card in with additional games would not only invoke a classic feel Nintendo would be able to sell additional games for more revenue.

I don't understand why Nintendo restrains itself to a fixed set of games. If you could open the flap and put an SD card in with additional games would not only invoke a classic feel Nintendo would be able to sell additional games for more revenue.

Because this way they can sell you a whole 'nother box next year. Mini NES2, this time with Crystalis, Ninja Gaiden 2, and... Super Mario 1-3 again..