Aircraft Vs Super Thread VI

Nied

Holy...

4739045.jpg

4739046.jpg

4739047.jpg

4739190.jpg

That was this afternoon, BTW. Scratch one specially-painted demo plane. Pilot's OK, you can see he punched out in time.

Interesting to note that the nozzles are in different positions--engine failure? Reminds me of the MiG-29 airshow crash pics where the aux inlets were clearly closed on one engine, as it had failed.

Dammit David I was about to post the same thing! And yeah looks like an engine out, from the video it was during the worst possible time too: the low speed pass.

Fellow Canadians apparently trying to show Alanis Morrisette the actual definition of irony by playing "Stayin Alive."

Holy...

That was this afternoon, BTW. Scratch one specially-painted demo plane. Pilot's OK, you can see he punched out in time.

Interesting to note that the nozzles are in different positions--engine failure? Reminds me of the MiG-29 airshow crash pics where the aux inlets were clearly closed on one engine, as it had failed.

Where did this happen?

Graham

Where did this happen?

Graham

Never mind, saw where on the vid.

Pilot was very lucky. Hope he's OK.

Graham

That looked awfully close to the camera position. Hope the audience was in a different spot. Glad to see the pilot made it out alive.

Dammit David I was about to post the same thing! And yeah looks like an engine out, from the video it was during the worst possible time too: the low speed pass.

Fellow Canadians apparently trying to show Alanis Morrisette the actual definition of irony by playing "Stayin Alive."

Don't you mean the Bee Gees?

I was following this one on ARC's forums, and I'm glad to see that the pilot is ok. Now, I'm wondering if the RCAF will attempt to put this plane back together...

Glad to see the pilot is ok and no one else was hurt or worse. How many Hornets does the RCAF have in its inventory though?

Unless they give Frankenhornet a brother, it'll be one less... According to Wikipedia we've got 123 in service, but those numbers are from 2003... I'd say we've got about 100 in active service at the moment.

I'm glad the pilot ejected safely... damm those aliens from ID4, always picking on Hornets.

There were a couple of F-14s in the background too... But the Hornets got the role of cannon fodder...

Unless they give Frankenhornet a brother, it'll be one less... According to Wikipedia we've got 123 in service, but those numbers are from 2003... I'd say we've got about 100 in active service at the moment.

Actually there are less than that. In the last year they put quite a few of them into storage as a budget saving measure (partly to pay for the F-35 and Ops in afghanistan), so we're down to 78 total with this one down.

Glad to see the pilot is ok and no one else was hurt or worse. How many Hornets does the RCAF have in its inventory though?

This isn't meant to nitpick, but the RCAF doesn't exist (it was disestablished during Unification in 1968.) Its just "Air Command," "Air Force" or CF, but there has been talk of returning that formal designation.

That looked awfully close to the camera position. Hope the audience was in a different spot. Glad to see the pilot made it out alive.

It was on a training run, the actual airshow is this weekend.

Edited by Noyhauser

Let's just face facts: The F-22A is simply one of the most photogenic aircraft ever built. I've taken photos of it at four different air shows since I got my new Nikon and the only way I get a bad shot is if I do something to screw it up (bad focus, out of frame, etc).

A C-17 cargo plane crashed and burned on Elmendorf Air Force Base this evening, according to the Alaska National Guard.

The status and number of the crew was not immediately known, said Major Guy Hayes, a guard spokesman. Also not known was whether the crew was from the Guard or active Air Force.

A black plume of smoke was visible rising from the base starting about 6:45 p.m.

Firefighters at the downtown Station 1 say they saw a ball of flames and a plume of black smoke rise from base. They were called for an agency assist to a report of a plane crash but then were cancelled moments later as they got out on the street, according to firefighters.

Base officials have so far refused to comment.

Just heard about this and thought to past it along, more here below

http://www.adn.com/2...wn-on-base.html

Edited by hobbes221

Let's just face facts: The F-22A is simply one of the most photogenic aircraft ever built. I've taken photos of it at four different air shows since I got my new Nikon and the only way I get a bad shot is if I do something to screw it up (bad focus, out of frame, etc).

I've always thought the F-22A is very photogenic from the front, top side or rear, but I've never liked how it looks from the side. Too chubby for my taste.

Graham

I've always thought the F-22A is very photogenic from the front, top side or rear, but I've never liked how it looks from the side. Too chubby for my taste.

Graham

DSC_0143.jpg

I'll agree with that. Now, the YF-23---that looks awesome from EVERY angle. :)

YF23_PAV2_trysky01.jpg

That F-22 shot is well from below. As for the -23----yup, pure awesomeness there! Shows the 50-degree cant well. (plus the fact that the fuselage CURVES up to the tailfins---a lot of models/drawings/people seem to show the tailfins as just being stuck on to the fuselage at an angle)

"I know, I've flown," Putin replied. Sukhoi has said the plane should be ready for use in 2015.

1276821635_8.jpg

I guess I forgot to post my el-oh-el at this. :lol: I love the I'm-a-man-with-big-balls-and-have-done-it-all attitude there. :p

Yep, and the F-22 isn't bad either. :lol:

Seriously, though, is there a reason why the F-22s contrails seem to be so much more noticeable?

Perhaps the F-22 is actually out-climbing the F-15. Plus, it also looks like the F-22 has a greater angle of attack than the F-15.

Is the Fujimi 1/72 Battle Sky Series No.1 F22 Raptor w/ Engine any good?

Really wish one of these companies would do another YF-23 kit. Can't find one anywhere.

The Antonov strategic airlifters are monstrous... I think the AN-225 still holds all sorts of records for cargo weight being flown from point A to B.

Unfortunately, most of the people on this side of the world are too dumb and ignorant to realize that Ukraine is not the same as Russia. Letting An compete is really no different than allowing Airbus to bid on contracts.

Is the Fujimi 1/72 Battle Sky Series No.1 F22 Raptor w/ Engine any good?

Really wish one of these companies would do another YF-23 kit. Can't find one anywhere.

Well I've heard its got pretty good... the only issue is with the weapons bays but those will be filled with bombs or slammers. Really its a question of cost. You basically have the option between Revell and Fujimi, which are pretty much even in quality, but depending where you are, one might be cheaper than the other. My Guess in the US or Europe its the Revell one.

That's normal, part of WTO tendering rules IIRC.

A large part of my job is bidding on government contracts (tenders) from the Hong Kong & Macau governments. All tenders have a strict deadline (date & time), by which they must be submitted. If you are even 1 second late in dropping your sealed tender proposal into the tendering box, then you are out.

The deadline is known from day one, so it's not like they didn't know long in advance by when they had to submit it.

Graham

A bit late with this, but Boeing had a mockup this fall of their next generation fighter, the F/A-XX (I knew they had an projects on the books but never an actual model of it.)

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2010/05/boeing-fa-xx-concept-walkaroun.html

That looks pretty cool.

Would be cool if someone made an actual Macross fighter. Not the whole transforming bit but just the design. The YF-21 seems like a good candidate since there's already the YF-23.