What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Just finished the Ideon series and the final movie and wow what started off as a slow paced boring giant robot show...oh no buff clan launch 3 crappy jets oh no we cant win combine into giant robot yea we win!... turned into one of the most intense last 10 or so episodes then the movie wow! Despite the incredible grim ending of the series and the movie it had one of the most uplifting endings I've seen in a "kill em all" tomino anime. I'd highly recommend it to anyone despite the incredible slow beginning quarter of the series.

Just finished the Ideon series and the final movie and wow what started off as a slow paced boring giant robot show...oh no buff clan launch 3 crappy jets oh no we cant win combine into giant robot yea we win!... turned into one of the most intense last 10 or so episodes then the movie wow! Despite the incredible grim ending of the series and the movie it had one of the most uplifting endings I've seen in a "kill em all" tomino anime. I'd highly recommend it to anyone despite the incredible slow beginning quarter of the series.

have it actually lying around somewhere and will probably check it out once I'm done with my Gundam ultra marathon.

Speaking of which I'm watching Zeta A New Translation. Great to see to such a fantastic story looking so pretty.

After watching all 12 episodes of Infinite Stratos, I would say it is OK. It has a simple story, plot and not so well developed characters.

It does have powersuit type of mecha that the students(mostly girls) pilot. The suits themselves are has some hint of Gundam Seed's Justice and Freedom in their design. But if you are expecting Gundam type of action, you will (not) advance very far in this series.

While I'm not sure why they're remaking this series, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the original, I am curious to see what they're going to do.

Definitely an interesting surprise and it looks as awesome as the first. Looks like it's a brand new story with new characters:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-02-01/gonzo-lists-last-exile-fam-the-silver-wing-for-2011

Edited by ps99042

Started watching Crest of the Stars after reading a couple of favourable reviews. The character designs are really lousy but it seems the story has a lot of potential. Any fans here in MW?

Started watching Crest of the Stars after reading a couple of favourable reviews. The character designs are really lousy but it seems the story has a lot of potential. Any fans here in MW?

I loved it. :)

I think it's one of my favorite space operas.

Snarky space elves are awesome. The second series looks a bit better.

I really like the story for being sort of morally ambiguous. I mean the "good guys" are trying to take over the galaxy. Jinto is a traitor to his homeworld,

banished to never get closer than 2 light-seconds from that world ;_;

and a real hero.

Edited by Rbstr

Finished watching Daitarn 3 yesterday and came to the conclusion that it was more than an humoristic show but rather a parody of the super robot genre, and even maybe a satire.

While I'm at it, if parodies are demonstration of love and proof of admiration, at least in some ways, then Tomino shouldn't be considered as a super robot hater IMO...

I really liked it too, but found its sequel less interesting.

I loved it. :)

I think it's excellent! One of my favorites!

I'll have to buck the trend and say it was deadly dull, and far too disjointed.

I think it's one of my favorite space operas.

Snarky space elves are awesome. The second series looks a bit better.

I really like the story for being sort of morally ambiguous. I mean the "good guys" are trying to take over the galaxy. Jinto is a traitor to his homeworld,

banished to never get closer than 2 light-seconds from that world ;_;

and a real hero.

Finished watching Daitarn 3 yesterday and came to the conclusion that it was more than an humoristic show but rather a parody of the super robot genre, and even maybe a satire.

While I'm at it, if parodies are demonstration of love and proof of admiration, at least in some ways, then Tomino shouldn't be considered as a super robot hater IMO...

I really liked it too, but found its sequel less interesting.

Thanks for all the feedback. Have to say that so far I find the story pretty good, and I like that the guys who I thought were going to be the bad guys, are actually.... pretty nice so far.

Thanks for all the feedback. Have to say that so far I find the story pretty good, and I like that the guys who I thought were going to be the bad guys, are actually.... pretty nice so far.

Glad to read that. It's one my favorites as well. The show has a great atmosphere and it takes it's time to develop the main characters.

My problem with Crest of the Stars was mostly one of disapointment rather than anything bad about the show itself (although I'm not a big fan of the making the bad guys the protagonists approach to story telling). I was told to expect epic space opera and often saw comparisons between Crest and LoGH. What I got instead was a rather pedestrian, if decent, SF story.

From the new show I'm watching Nichijou, Maria Holic S2, Hanasaku Iroha, and X-Men.

I also recently saw The Legend of ZektBach OVA. I knew that there was some epic backstory light novel/manga behind it, but I was quite surprised that the OVA only scratches the surface of a story that is apparently based solely on a series of musical pieces.

My problem with Crest of the Stars was mostly one of disapointment rather than anything bad about the show itself (although I'm not a big fan of the making the bad guys the protagonists approach to story telling). I was told to expect epic space opera and often saw comparisons between Crest and LoGH. What I got instead was a rather pedestrian, if decent, SF story.

For a space opera, it certainly is decent, yes, and maybe more according to tastes and all this stuff, but comparing it to LoGH is beyond reason: CotS is a funny and entertaining show with some rather unusual characters and a good directing, but it's nowhere near the epicness and the scale of LoGH...

I'm on an old school phase!!! Finished rewatching Megazone 23 (all parts) and it's time to rewatch 0083 Stardust Memory.

What did you think of Megazone? It's quite controversial amongst anime fans. I personally love I and II but don't care for III.

Meanwhile, I'm an old-schooler for life, so currently I'm watching Mellowlink, SPT Layzner and Space Cobra. And yes, they all kick ass.

EDITED for the BOLDING, yo.

Edited by Renato

What did you think of Megazone? It's quite controversial amongst anime fans. I personally love I and II but don't care for III.

Meanwhile, I'm an old-schooler for life, so currently I'm watching Mellowlink, SPT Layzner and Space Cobra. And yes, they all kick ass.

EDITED for the BOLDING, yo.

Rewatched all Megazones 23 myself last year. I can sit through 3 but it really wasnt necessary. Renato - is that the tv Space Cobra? I LOVE that damn show!

To keep this on topic, I'm currently watching the new Madhouse Xmen anime, Gundam Unicorn and rewatching Eden of the East.

Finished Crest of the Stars. Though it was really good, with a good story and great dialogue. And its also great to see an anime were the teenage protagonists don't act like a bunch of immature morons.

Suppose I'll have to get Banner of the Stars now.

Rewatched all Megazones 23 myself last year. I can sit through 3 but it really wasnt necessary. Renato - is that the tv Space Cobra? I LOVE that damn show!

Yeah, TV version. It's so crazy and over-the-top, without becoming all ridiculously SD-like, etc. The movie was OK, but the tone is kind of too serious. And I saw the first episode of the new OVA series they brought out a couple of years ago for the 30th anniversary... I didn't find it that great, to be honest. I will probably get back to it later, though. It's a real shame that the voice actor passed away a few months ago -- in fact, his funeral happened to be on the same day that I was watching an interview with him on the OVA DVD, and I didn't know until it was on the news the next morning. Freaky stuff.

EDIT - As for Megazone... Part III is really just another of those cash-in sequels that were all the rage in the 90s, like Orguss 02, Macross II, etc. Aramaki really knows how to take something awesome and make it mediocre.

Edited by Renato

EDIT - As for Megazone... Part III is really just another of those cash-in sequels that were all the rage in the 90s, like Orguss 02, Macross II, etc. Aramaki really knows how to take something awesome and make it mediocre.

I thought Orguss 2 was pretty good all things considered.

But yeah, megazone part iii is probably the weakest of the Megazone. Having said that, it does provide some closure to the story, don't you think?

Yeah, TV version. It's so crazy and over-the-top, without becoming all ridiculously SD-like, etc. The movie was OK, but the tone is kind of too serious. And I saw the first episode of the new OVA series they brought out a couple of years ago for the 30th anniversary... I didn't find it that great, to be honest. I will probably get back to it later, though. [...]

The latest OVA from 2010, Cobra The Animation, is really good compared to Time Drive and The Psychogun, though not as much as the old TV show.