Nintendo DS, NEW look/case

ogami

lol I'm gonna start complaining pretty soon! I didn't get my GBA till last year, than back in March I was able to finally get a USED SP, now the NDS is coming out, dah hell knock it off developers I'd like to SAVE MONEY so I can get my own place and not live with my folks anymore :angry:

New Super Mario Bros looks cool, and it's official that Konami is making a new Castlevania for it. Seeing as how it plays GBA games, if the price is right, I'll snag one.

It's looking a heck of a lot better than the PSP, anyway.

I held off buying an Advance because I didn't see any deent games for it, other than maybe Super Robot Wars D.

So... let's have some info on this thing. Can it play old school monochrome GB games? What about those funky ones like GB Camera and KoroKoroKirby (these two were ruined by the stupid-ass SP because of its upside-down cartridge slot)?

Also, battery type?

So... let's have some info on this thing. Can it play old school monochrome GB games? What about those funky ones like GB Camera and KoroKoroKirby (these two were ruined by the stupid-ass SP because of its upside-down cartridge slot)?

Also, battery type?

Advance games only, as far as anyone knows.

And I think it's another damn proprietary LiIon pack.

So... let's have some info on this thing.  Can it play old school monochrome GB games?  What about those funky ones like GB Camera and KoroKoroKirby (these two were ruined by the stupid-ass SP because of its upside-down cartridge slot)?

Also, battery type?

Definately only GBA and DS games. No older GameBoy games. Reason is, as far as I know, the GBA has a seperate processor for older Gameboy games, and Nintendo I guess just didn't feel like cramming three processors into the DS.

Oh, and yeah... lithium ion battery.

So... let's have some info on this thing.  Can it play old school monochrome GB games?  What about those funky ones like GB Camera and KoroKoroKirby (these two were ruined by the stupid-ass SP because of its upside-down cartridge slot)?

Also, battery type?

Definately only GBA and DS games. No older GameBoy games. Reason is, as far as I know, the GBA has a seperate processor for older Gameboy games, and Nintendo I guess just didn't feel like cramming three processors into the DS.

GBA hardware is physically diffrent in GBC mode. The cart holds down a switch that actually changes what's on and how it's wired.

Skipping 8-bit compatibility saved them a z80 clone and a switch.

The DS hardware uses the same chip as the GBA CPU for one of it's processors, so no extra parts there.

looks cool, more excited about the sony handheld unit though...

*barf*

really you dont like the PSP? I like it. What dont you liek about it?

Anyway the only decent game I saw at E3 was teh first person shooter Prime Hunters. Which utilizes teh stylus as mouselook for normal FPS PC games. Onyl issue is that at teh time buttons cannot be remapped, it was difficult to jump and the stylus kinda gets int eh way. oh yeah you have to tap the screen to fire

looks cool, more excited about the sony handheld unit though...

*barf*

really you dont like the PSP? I like it. What dont you liek about it?

Anyway the only decent game I saw at E3 was teh first person shooter Prime Hunters. Which utilizes teh stylus as mouselook for normal FPS PC games. Onyl issue is that at teh time buttons cannot be remapped, it was difficult to jump and the stylus kinda gets int eh way. oh yeah you have to tap the screen to fire

Aside froma general distaste for Sony Computer Entertainment America's business practices, which I feel are completely ruining the video game industry and placing it in immient danger of a second crash?

Crappy battery life. Estimated at 2 hours BY SONY. Needless to say, that means it's an upper limit.

Overpowered graphics hardware on a screen that's too low resolution to make use of it.

Disk-based media. Dumbest idea ever for a portable system.

MemoryStick-based saves. Second-dumbest idea for a portable system.

No known games. The last E3 featured it running movie trailers. I'm sorry, but I don't buy game consoles to watch movies. I buy them to PLAY GAMES. This is not a good situation for a system slated to launch early next year.

The DS, aside from being a far better concieved system, is actualy bringing something new to the table.

The PSP is just more of the same from a company that's more concerned with how games look than how they play.

wow....

I actually thought Sony's model opened up the gaming industry.. it allowed more companies to get involved, had a cheaper more accessible hardware (than the cartridge) platform...

the battery life is crap, I agree, but I'm hoping battery tech and will improve by then....

I think the graphics and the disk based media are a great selling point.. my big complaint with GBA games are either they look great and are super short or they look blah and have longer game play and are so monotonous... like FF tactics.. great game but lack of variety really hurt it, IMO...

and I'm sure sony will think of something cool to do with the memory stick...

the idea that the PSP will do more than just play games but is a portable entertainment unit appeals to me... means I can just watch stuff during long commutes (when I'm not driving) and I don't want to play a game.

as for the DS, I've yet to see a compelling reason for having that split screen... seeing a little map while playing mario kart racing is just not that interesting for me.

Also, battery type?

GBA hardware is physically diffrent in GBC mode. The cart holds down a switch that actually changes what's on and how it's wired.

Skipping 8-bit compatibility saved them a z80 clone and a switch.

The DS hardware uses the same chip as the GBA CPU for one of it's processors, so no extra parts there.

OK, thank you very much that's all I needed to know.

I can forget all about this now, not worth my time.

wow....

I actually thought Sony's model opened up the gaming industry.. it allowed more companies to get involved, had a cheaper more accessible hardware (than the cartridge) platform...

SegaCD? Saturn? 3D0?

My gripe with Sony America is that they are refusing to license good games ebcause they don't match the graphical standard they want to project. And licensing total crap because it looks nice.

They've gotten to the point where not even people in the industry can stand them(I've seen exasperated rants from employees of multiple game companies about their licensing system). And the market can only take so much crap before it collapses on itself.

the battery life is crap, I agree, but I'm hoping battery tech and will improve by then....

It's a bit late.

I think the graphics and the disk based media are a great selling point..

But the display isn't high enough resolution to make any real use of the graphics hardware whatsoever.

As for disks... they are FAR too sensitive to damage for them to be a viable portable media in my opinion.

and I'm sure sony will think of something cool to do with the memory stick...
I'm dealing solely with the memory card equivalent aspect.

My POINT is that you have to juggle memory sticks around to find your saves.

As much as I dislike memory cards on home systems, it's a tolerable annoyance(and it's not like I wouldn't own a few a tthis point if my system DID have interal SRAM). But juggling them in a portable is just not feasable.

the idea that the PSP will do more than just play games but is a portable entertainment unit appeals to me... means I can just watch stuff during long commutes (when I'm not driving) and I don't want to play a game.

I've always used books for that. Or a walkman.

If I'm gonna watch a movie, it's not gonna be on a palm-sized screen.

Especially not since you'll have to buy custom versions of any movies you want to watch on your PSP.

as for the DS, I've yet to see a compelling reason for having that split screen... seeing a little map while playing mario kart racing is just not that interesting for me.

That's really a pathetic use. While it' dbe less pathetic in a modern RPG-style Castlevania title, it's still a poor use of the hardware.

There's just so much more that can be done with it.

A basic example can be seen in the old Game&Watch game Oil Panic, where one screen showed indoor activity while the other showed outdoor activity, enabling the gamer to track 2 diffrent playfields at once. It's a simple use, but it's a style of game that hasn't been done since, because there just IS NO WAY to watch 2 playfields at once.

I'm having more trouble seeing a real use for the touch-sensitive aspect.

That seems more like it was thrown in because they had it available. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I'll be surprised if mroe than about 3 titles make any signifigant use of it.

well, I'm not blaming nintendo.. it's just that the cartridge format really limits the space you have for graphics and content, a disk is much cheaper for the amount of info.

More fragile too.

Which is my only gripe with sticking it in a portable system. You can't just stuff a few games in your pocket, because they'll get scratched, bent, oir otherwise damaged.

Though I have loved the GBA library because it's kept a certain old-school attitude long after everythign else moved on.

I LIKE sidescrollers. Which have become the exclusive domain of the GBA. Once the DS comes out, it'll probably become a completely dead genre