VF-17 released in the US....sort of.

Khyron

Today I found a Galaxy Defender version of the VF-17. It has a grey camo paint job. There are some minor changes like the addition of tail fins like the real stealth fighter has. It is a little smaller than the Bandai verion. Like the VF-1S, it actually is contructed pretty good for a knock-off toy. It comes with a shield and a gun. The cool thing is that the gun securly attatches to the plane mode and the shield can fit on to it and it doesn't stick out at all. While the plane is still fatter than a real stealth, I actually think the plane mode looks better on this toy than the Bandai version.

I'll try to get some pictures of it later.

Saw it in Walmart last week. The fighter mode does look reminiscent of the VF-17, but OMG the robot more is horrible, especially the face :lol:

There was another Galaxy defender there that made me think Astrotrain as well.

geesh that toy is ugly i am almost offened that it is be mentioned in the same forum as macross

That IS ugly, but for some reason I find myself compelled to go look for it at Walmart today out of morbid curiousity. While it is ugly, if I know me, it's gonna end up in my collection in my tub-o-sorta-macross things including exosquad, robotech, bootlegs, and TF Decepticons/Bots that I pretend are valkyries (like Optimal Optimus, TM Jetstorm, Energon Megs, Wing Zero, etc..)

Edited by redemption

Please don't insult the lovely VF-17 by comparing it to that Galaxy Defender!

Graham

How can you not like it?

It's THE ROBOT THAT CHANGES!

And it also defends that whole Galaxy! That's pretty amazing.

I doubt the VF-17 has the range to cover 100,000 light years!

Graham

How can you not like it?

Well, Voltron was Defender of the Universe. So just a galaxy is kinda lame. :p

Graham

How can you not like it?

OmniBot would take them both, unless you're talking about the RC Voltron ;)

Wow. That's.....interesting. If it was cheap enough I'd probably buy. I'm a sucker like that.

Speaking of bootlegs....I've seen a couple of new versions of everybody's favorite $5 VF-1S bootleg. Both come with the fastpacks and one is still painted in Skull Leader fashion with some extra details here and there while one is sort of a VF-1D brown and orange paint scheme.

Graham

How can you not like it?

Yeah, but... If the Universe is EVERYTHING, then what the hell is Voltron protecting it from??

Voltron is the ultimate SLACKER. :lol:

Graham

How can you not like it?

Yeah, but... If the Universe is EVERYTHING, then what the hell is Voltron protecting it from??

Voltron is the ultimate SLACKER. :lol:

Maybe the universe needs to be protected from itself.

Just a thought.

why do we still have no pictures  :(

I've seen this thing in person at the recent HK Toy Fare........Trust me you don't want pictures :p

Actually, it's not too bad. Transformer fans will probably like it, as the design principal, quality etc seems similar, but it can't compare to a Macross Variable Fighter.

Graham

I've seen this thing in person at the recent HK Toy Fare........Trust me you don't want pictures :p

Actually, it's not too bad. Transformer fans will probably like it, as the design principal, quality etc seems similar, but it can't compare to a Macross Variable Fighter.

Graham

Oooh! Burn! I think Graham just stabbed us TF fans in the gut or gave us a good jab, cross, and right hook when we weren't looking.

You think that VF-17 ripoff has the same quality as this???

P0003560.jpg

P0003576.jpg

Edited by ComicKaze

Graham

Oooh! Burn! I think Graham just stabbed us TF fans in the gut or gave us a good jab, cross, and right hook when we weren't looking.

You think that VF-17 ripoff has the same quality as this???

P0003560.jpg

P0003576.jpg

I half agree with Graham. The standard energon and armada toys are total crap. But the BT and MPC toys have more than made up for these toys failures.

Graham

the folks who do galaxy defenders are ripping off transformers as well actually.. they have a armada megtron toy at my local wal mart

I half agree with Graham. The standard energon and armada toys are total crap. But the BT and MPC toys have more than made up for these toys failures.

I'll admit that the BT toys look good in vehicle mode, but I still think that the bot modes looks a mess.

If I was ever going to buy a TF toy, the only one I'd ever consider buying would be the 20th Anniversary Optimus, as not only is it well articulated, but it actually looks accurate and good in both modes. It's actually the only TF toy that I've seen that I think does look good in both modes. Plus it has none of that ugly neon plastic weapons that so many TF toys have.

Graham

I'll admit that the BT toys look good in vehicle mode, but I still think that the bot modes looks a mess.

If I was ever going to buy a TF toy, the only one I'd ever consider buying would be the 20th Anniversary Optimus, as not only is it well articulated, but it actually looks accurate and good in both modes. It's actually the only TF toy that I've seen that I think does look good in both modes. Plus it has none of that ugly neon plastic weapons that so many TF toys have.

Graham

Actually it does have a pretty stupid transluscent ORANGE AXE which seems to have become a standard in G1 Prime toys at some point recently... I don't even get why, really. It appears in the anime ONCE, and he never uses it again. EVER. Maybe Prime realised just how bad a transluscent ORANGE AXE looks.

And 20th Anniversary Op doesn't look so great in truck mode. He still looks really toyish and is deformed in various places, so you can tell it's a transformer, which you can't really with the BTs.

Oh, and the trailer is made of bloody cardboard. Some people complain that toys these days don't have as much die-cast as in the old days... I'll say it again. CARD-frickin'-BOARD, people!! Man, that pissed me off no end. :angry: