1/60 VE-1 Elintseeker

Yamato Lover

I just got my 1/60 Elintseeker today from Twin Moons Anime, and was stoked about it...until I took it out of its packing box.

The fighter was packaged with the backpack in FAST Pack position to hide the stubby stabilizers, but at the same time shows the permanent (and VERY noticable) radar arm hardpoint. So far, I wasn't impressed.

I took it out of the box and did a once-over of it. The nosecone is fugly to me. Its too round and looks like a banana with the bright schoolbus yellow that was used on it. The pilots look like resuses of the VF-1J Max pilots and tend to have the pencil eraser look to them, like the Guld pilot that came with the 1/72 YF-21 FP earlier this year.

The head unit looks WAY too small, even for an Elintseeker and the radome has major problems staying up when in battroid mode. And the legs are somewhat loose at the hip joints, making the mecha want to do a backbend because of the FAST Packs.

Overall, nothing has been improved on this new generation of 1/60s at all except the new backpack lock.

I'll be passing on the VT-1 now that I've seen the alternative. :angry:

Time to change names to "Yamato Liker".

LOL! Exo...

sorry to hear you aren't so happy with your purchase... I think I will still get both of these and do some mods to them to get things to stay in the right places and such. :ph34r:

thing is people were expecting normal valks with extra armor and that is not what the elint and Super O are. Most of the things you complained about , small tail fins and such is how the line art portrayed them. Thats what i have been told. the new looks don't bother me that much, and FYI, the super O is much more a normal 1/60th than the Elint.

Time to change names to "Yamato Liker".

:lol:

Meh. I want a SuperO and ELINT bad, but yamato's track record with me has been a little lack luster lately. It seems like they care less about the 1/60s now that the 1/48s are out, and I don't like that :(

Vostok 7

But seriously....the radar hardpoint? Wouldn't the "real" one have the same thing, much less a 1/60 scale toy? How else should it be attached? The yellow nose? Isn't it supposed to have one? I could go on, buuuuuut...

Well, if you look at earlier pics of the Elint in fighter mode, you can see that the hardpoint was easy on the eyes. Take a look at the pic on HLJ's site, and you'll see what I mean. Yamato made it this big, fugly thing in the final product. Maybe, it wasn't strong enough, so they made it bigger. I'm not as anxious to get it or the SuperO as I used to be. Think I'll wait to see if they come down some because as of right now, I'm not paying full price for these disappointments. I'll also hang onto my Bandai Chunky Monkeys since I don't think the Yamatos blow them away.

More money for 1/48 Fast Packs!

small tail fins and such is how the line art portrayed them.

This is completely untrue. According to Graham, the lineart shows no tail fin deviation from the standard VF-1's.

really I have heard otherwise but if its Graham who says than thats almost as good as Kawamori.

This is my first Elintseeker toy and I am split on my overall satisfaction with it. For some reason, I just have a weird feeling of dislike with it, but I am just glad that I got them and I plan on buying a few more for the 'fleet.'

I don't really have a problem with the nose. I don't see the bright school bus yellow you mention. The nose is more orange, like the orange on that of the 1D.

I do have a few issues with it. The radar arm could have used an octagon joint system so that it locks in position without falling over.

Now don't get me wrong, I still love my Yammies. :lol:

But for all the time and redesign that supposedly went into the Elintseeker and Super-O, I would have expected at least a few of the smaller problems seen in earlier 1/60 releases finally addressed, since these are the last of the 1/60 line.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting miracles here, but at the very least fix the loose-hip problem that makes the FAST Packs too heavy for it. If that had been addressed, I'd have been singing my usual praises for Yamato. I can even get used to the big fugly hardpoint for the radome. :rolleyes:

Probably with a little more persuasion, I'll end up caving in and buying the Super-O too. I'm too much of a Valkyholic to pass up a design that hasn't seen the light of day since 1984.

The final product was just a little off-setting, that's all.

I have both of these things and I have to say that they're just awful; certainly the most poorly-designed and/or QCed toys in the 1/60 line. Floppy in all modes and generally poor fit and finish -- you totally won't be doing any barrel rolls with these suckers... Just getting all three of VE-1's wheels touching the ground at the same time is a major achievement.

It's lucky for Yamato that so many Macross fans are completists -- these suckers deserve to be warming the shelves.

Hehe... It is interesting to hear the reaction to these two releases. I purchased both and I feel the same as some others here. I am mixed on my feelings. I always wanted both of these, especially the VT-1. Between the two of them I think the Ostrich is the better. At least mine is, no real problems with it. My VE had floppy backpack syndrome and the nose cone had a huge amount of glue smeared on it :( .

Needless to say I had to repaint the nose and now it looks far better. I also managed to correct the backpack on it. The real gripe I have with both of these is how difficult it is to get the chest plate locked in Battroid mode. That takes alot of work :angry: . Overall I rate the VE 6 out of 10 and the VT 8 out 10. My Strike and 1D are still the best of all of mine. I would only purchase these two if you want to complete your 1/60 collection. That is the only reason I did.

I'm still waiting on mine. I picked up the VT since I really like the design. I picked up the VE to complete my 1/60 collection. I'm glad the VT head is small since I don't plan to display it in battroid mode. I think the smaller head makes for a better fighter.

I'm a little worried about quality though. My Max, Milia and VF-1D are all really loose. I hope the 1/60 line is indeed coming to an end since I feel the molds are getting worn out.

Well, to me I really don't care much for the size of the tailfins because they are going to be permanently displayed in fighter mode with the armor and additional accessories attached. Until now I had never owned a VE-1 before (not even a model kit) so I'm just really excited that I was finally able to get one. I have absolutely no complaints about the Super OOOooooo creamsicle goodness :D

Now don't get me wrong, I still love my Yammies.  :lol: 

But for all the time and redesign that supposedly went into the Elintseeker and Super-O, I would have expected at least a few of the smaller problems seen in earlier 1/60 releases finally addressed, since these are the last of the 1/60 line.

IIRC, the "redesign" that you are referring to went to the redesign of the chestplate, nose, and canopy designs.

No mention of any "redesigns" for the hips, or "other" known problems.

Besides, what's the point of buying it if you intend to remove the armor and make it to a regular figher? Didn't you buy it for how it looks with the armor on? Also, it's the end of that line (at least from what we all know). Any retooling of existing molds (hips and other issues you referred to) would have been expensive. :rolleyes:

Edited by Omni Existence

small tail fins and such is how the line art portrayed them.

This is completely untrue. According to Graham, the lineart shows no tail fin deviation from the standard VF-1's.

really I have heard otherwise but if its Graham who says than thats almost as good as Kawamori.

At the MW con, Graham sent early versions of the Ostrich over for us to look at but Shawn was quick to point out how stubby the rear tailfins were. If the two Sith lords think it looks funny then it must be off.

I received my VT-1 and VE-1 today. They are not as bad as I had feared. Joints are tight, but they are not without annoying QC issues.

I give the VT-1 a A- overall. I like the scuplt and the colors quite a bit. I had planned to display this in the half Gerwalk mode (arms stowed), but now I'm not sure since the Battroid looks so nice! The joints on mine are nice and tight and I have no problems keeing the boosters/backpack in place in any mode. The articulation of the head is great. The only problem I see is that a 1/2" piece of plastic is missing on the inside edge of the right intake. Some of the tan beside the gray intake cover is missing.

I give the VE-1 a C+ overall. I don't like that they used half circles instead of a c-shaped clamp to hold the radome mount. Using a clamp would have allowed the mount to be removable so that a atmospheric jet mode was possible. I don't like losing a mode (no matter how impracticle) since it is an $80 toy after all. I would also have liked to have a second joint on the mount near the radome to tweak the position. I can see why people complain about the head. It's tiny - even to the point where I don't have to open the back plate during transformation. I even think the head looks a little small in fighter mode. I don't like that the arm attachments have to be removed to get the hands out, but I can't think of a good solution. I had more QC problems with this one. One of the hands is a darker gray than the rest of the valk. This is odd since this gray doesn't match anything on any of the valks. I also had a broken piece inside the backplate that kept the wings from coming together.

But seriously....the radar hardpoint? Wouldn't the "real" one have the same thing, much less a 1/60 scale toy? How else should it be attached? The yellow nose? Isn't it supposed to have one? I could go on, buuuuuut...

Well, if you look at earlier pics of the Elint in fighter mode, you can see that the hardpoint was easy on the eyes. Take a look at the pic on HLJ's site, and you'll see what I mean. Yamato made it this big, fugly thing in the final product. Maybe, it wasn't strong enough, so they made it bigger. I'm not as anxious to get it or the SuperO as I used to be. Think I'll wait to see if they come down some because as of right now, I'm not paying full price for these disappointments. I'll also hang onto my Bandai Chunky Monkeys since I don't think the Yamatos blow them away.

More money for 1/48 Fast Packs!

I beg to differ on the Bandai. I think the Yamato 1/60 are much better that the Bandais. But I guess to each his own. :blink: I think the Yamato are much better than the MPCs, though.

Sorry to hear that Rune. :(

I got my set yesterday, but they came along with my 1/48 FP. To be honest I payed just a little attention to the 1/60 Elint and Ostrich,. I was totally amazed with the FP and how cool they look on the 1/48 VF 1.

I think that may be also the problem. When you hold a 1/48 besides the 1/60, the small brother looks like crap.

Generally speaking what bothered me the most was the HUGE boxes of the 1/60s. What a waste of space!

The elint does suffer of small head sindrome, but mine is overally speaking VERY nice. Even with the huge Arm / Hardpoint of the Dish radar, I still love the design. My toy is tight but I do have problems with the FP.

The Ostrich is reaaaaally nice.

I cant complain, I like them.

I love my Yamato VE-1 and VT-1. Luckily no QC problems on mine and they transform smoothly and lock together very tightly. My only minor complaint is that the backpack hinge lock is if anything a little too tight :o

I've only transformed them once, but didn't have any problems. These two toys will be displayed permanently in fighter mode, as that is how they are shown most of the time in DYRL and look best in that mode IMO.

I even sold my old, yellowed and fugly (IMO) Bandai 1/55 VE-1 and VT-1 after getting the Yamatos. :p

Graham

Anyone know where I can get a replacement part for the piece that is used to connect the fastpacks? It fell from my hand and shattered... :( The fastpacks are fine its just the other piece is wrecked.

Did you try Monkey Nuggets pinned thread.

Does anyone here think that the price may go down on these babies. I thought that they may go down to the price of the VF-1D, which I was able to snag for $70 at Twin Moons Anime. I know that's not much of a difference, but every little bit helps when you're buyin' valkyries.

Or do you guys think that they will all be sold out, and cost even more because of availability? I need to know in order to wait, or to buy now. What should I do? Any opinions guys? :(