Macross Special

areaseven

What? What's going on? Who's making copies of what now??

:huh:

For the MW Special DVD. Sounds sweet! B))

Put me down for one too. :D

Oh please include the Korean valk fighting a giant rat, ihave seen it personally at Jerry's house. It was damn funny. but now this gem needs to be shared with the rest of the Macross world.

Nick, I believe you saw it at my house...??? :rolleyes:

oh yeah haha. I so used to how your new house looks I forgot it was your old house.

Yesterday, at the MW Con, Shawn showed us yet another rare video artifact: a live-action Macross TV special that Seiichi-san kept on tape back in 1984. It was more of a talk show with a rather annoying male host that knew absolutely nothing about the series. Some of the audience cosplayed as the major characters, which resulted in the host asking stupid questions like, "Aren't you guys a little too old to dress up like cartoon characters?", etc.

The set itself was nothing short of hilarious, as it contained colored styrofoam balls hanging on strings. After some more idiotic comments by the host, we're introduced to the series' main voices: Mari Iijima (Minmay), Mika Doi (Misa) and the late Arihiro Hase (Hikaru). They talked a little about reprising their roles for DYRL.

After commercial break, Mari-chan performed "Tenshi no Enogu" and "Ai, Oboete imasu ka?" with some guys on the background pretending to play musical instruments. Following that, there was a small segment on Tatsunoko studios. Before the end of the show, there was an interview with the almighty "Hory Froating Head" Shoji Kawamori.

Overall, it's nice to see what Macross fandom was like in Japan before DYRL. It's also a hoot to watch these old commercials for Chicken McNuggets, sentai toys, and some beverage endorsed by William Katt of The Greatest American Hero fame. Shawn said that he's gonna transfer this video to a special edition MW DVD, which should be available later this year.

AWESOME!

Can't wait for this!

What about the silly bonus materials that are on the FX Macross 7 DVD's?

There was some similar program with this guy and girl talking about Macross, and they brought in what looked like a 1990 reissue 1S, and the dude was fumbling all over himself trying to transform it etc.

It would be nice to see that stuff on there.

You are referring to "Macross' Fastest Liftoff". That is a show I've been wanting to see subbed for YEARS! One day when I have enough financial resources, I *WILL* have that special fansubbed for me.

Another show that I'd really like to see is Macross: One Night Stand.  It was a 15th aniversery concert special with Fukuyama Yoshiki (MACROSS 7's Nekki Basara of Fire Bomber), Kasahara Hiroko (MACROSS II's Ishtar), Arai Akino (MACROSS PLUS's Sharon/Myung), Kanno Youko (MACROSS PLUS composer and musician) and special guest Iijima Mari (Minmay)  I read about it on EX.  The article is here

I have bugged Egan about this a few times already. He says that the concert WAS filmed, but is not willing to go into further detail about. That's all I really know. I still want to see it though.

By the way.....we were supposed to get to work on some sort of Macross Con footage a couple years ago so the idea is not new. I took footage of the Con, the year with the entire Kawamori panel and subsequent Q&A. Then took stuff where we were at Jerry's house, with tons of footage of toys and whatnot. I originally sent my tapes to some idiot here who I forgot his name and he was supposed to transfer the footage to dvd and then to whomever wanted to see them. The guy never got on the ball and never returned my original copies so I just gave up on the whole thing. Doubt he's even a member anymore.

Anyway lucky I made a back up. So Shawn if you would still like to get some of this footage on your dvds let me know and I'll send you the tapes. There's a ton of material I have but I just don't have the time to be editing all that stuff. But I'm sure it would supplement what footage you have nicely.

Very strange. It must feel awkward to view media hype like that so many decades after the franchise has been established. I've never actually seen any of the japanese shows that interview creators of various anime or film, so I'm unsure what to expect. However, I wouldn't mind viewing the show just as a curious fan.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, yessss!!! I saw this puppy at MWcon4 and it's worth a contribution. Mari was so cute in the .... don't wanna give anything away. But put me down for one when available. Shaun, you da man!!! :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Such an old thread but still such potential!!! <_< Since MWcon5 is only 2 weeks away, maybe some top secret transfer to DVD??? We sit, silent, waiting,,,, patient.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, we talked about this at MWCon, I seem to remember several of us volunteering to help.  :rolleyes:

314090[/snapback]

yep. i am waiting on shawn to send me the stuff so i can get the subs put on the video and correctiosn made if needed.

• 11 months later...
Yeah, we talked about this at MWCon, I seem to remember several of us volunteering to help.  :rolleyes:

314090[/snapback]

yep. i am waiting on shawn to send me the stuff so i can get the subs put on the video and correctiosn made if needed.

314194[/snapback]

This thread is a year old so I guess the project is dead..?

If not I will definately buy one if it is/becomes available

Duke Nukem Forever will be released before this so called Macross Special.

Vaporware folks.

416582[/snapback]

3D Realms is actually releasing stuff again, though.

Prey just hit shelves, and it's only slightly less infamous than The Duke.

ok to thorw you guys a bone. I have had a copy of this special on dvd since MWCOn5. Shawn confirmed that he has the text file of the subs. some one jsut needs to put them in.  the dvd is jsut a DVD recording of a tape.

416696[/snapback]

sweet! :D