Batman the Animated Series on DVD

Kind of a stupid question so slap me and call me an idiot....

I would consider myself a Dark Knight fan and enjoy the way Batman's character is represented on Justice League. Does his Animated Series do him justice or is it toned down and 'kiddified'?

Basically is he bad-assed and scary to bad guys?

I would consider myself a Dark Knight fan and enjoy the way Batman's character is represented on Justice League. Does his Animated Series do him justice or is it toned down and 'kiddified'?

You like the justice league batman? IMHO this batman is many time better. B))

Finally. Anything by Paul Dini during the early to mid 90's are GOLD (Jerry GOLD).

Batman: The Animated Series

Batman and Robin

Batman Beyond

B))B))B))

I wonder when they're gonna release Spiderman: The Animated Series (also from the mid 90's when it was on FOX)? :blink:

I actually liked the very first episode of Batman the Animated series. It was the one with the giant bat. The show at that beginning point seemed more darker and more like the original Batman movie. Then it starts to get kiddish in the later episodes :(

1st two seasons are the best, 3rd season is when thinks started to go sour. Still over all, it is one of the most mature and serious cartoons made for americans.

B:TAS was a great show with great characterization. If you like the JL Batman, you'll like this one much better. The stories more interesting and better written. Heck there are episodes where Batman doesn't even make much of an appearance....of course they got in trouble for that.

I still think that WB should have handed over the Batman movie franchise to Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and the crew.

It's about freaking time! Yes! :D

Remember, B:TAS not only gave Mark Hamill another career, but gave us the one and only Harley Quinn, who was so popular, that she got added into the official DC comics continuity. Episodes with her + Poison Ivy are classic.

On another note, she's also whom Kevin Smith named his daughter after (Harley Quinn Smith) which I personally think is absolutely idiotic. ;)

Excellent news. Thanks for the head's up.

No, most of his time in this show is spent watering the flowers of Gotham and sending Alfred to meet a sweaty man who deals in "young wards". :p

All kidding aside, Batman: TAS is a great show that is essentially responsible for the JL cartoon even existing.

I can't believe its finally going to be out. Batman: TAS, especially the first couple seasons was a fantastic series! The new Superman and JL and Batman Beyond are really good, but they don't compare to the early episodes. They're alot darker toned and serious. Do yourself a favor and get this!

wow, finally this series is coming out on DVD! I still have the tv guide with batman on the cover and it was the first episode to be aired. Nice. I might be picking this up. :p:D:lol:

BOxed set? Huh? Allso ya! Batman TAS was an excelent show/series! One of the ones I went out of my way to watch If I remember corectly as a kid ! I loved that robot bot one it was too cool with the " evil" batman :) Don't wana give too muc ha way for those who havn't seen it yet since its just coming out again ;)

Edited by Synch

The Batman TAS rocks, it is the dark knight with very few kiddy concessions, no blood for the most part. It iwas intelligently written, well animated and in general much better then the movies IMHO. The antimated movies were great too, probably the best Batman movies ever made, I remember Siskel and Ebert reviewing Mask of the Phantasm and saying it was far superior to the live action movies, and I agree. I hope that the new batman movie takes cues from the Batman TAS and that the new Batman series I've seen commercials for stays true to the older TAS.

The Batman TAS rocks, it is the dark knight with very few kiddy concessions, no blood for the most part.  It iwas intelligently written, well animated and in general much better then the movies IMHO.  The antimated movies were great too, probably the best Batman movies ever made, I remember Siskel and Ebert reviewing Mask of the Phantasm and saying it was far superior to the live action movies, and I agree.  I hope that the new batman movie takes cues from the Batman TAS and that the new Batman series I've seen commercials for stays true to the older TAS.

From what it seems, it looks like the new batman movie may be taking hints from Frank Miller's Batman:Year One, which is no bad thing. Miller's vision of the bat is one of the best out there.

Edit:spelling

Edited by GobotFool

I think what the animated series really had going for it was its designs (the animation itself was average at best). The stylized, square-jawed characters in three piece suits. The retro, art deco look to the buildings and other objects. The simple, un-detailed backgrounds and the decision to draw them on black paper. All these made the show ooze atmosphere. It also helps that this is one of the few US series where they manage to pull off serious dialog and not sound corny.

I think what the animated series really had going for it was its designs (the animation itself was average at best). 

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but that's the case with most anime as well. The design is so awesome (and detailed) it distracts one from noticing that most of the animation is very stiff and jerky.

Edited by GobotFool

I think what the animated series really had going for it was its designs (the animation itself was average at best). 

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but that's the case with most anime as well. The design is so awesome (and detailed) it distracts one from noticing that most of the animation is very stiff and jerky.

I won't entirely disagree. OVAs and movies have bigger budgets to use more cels, so it's mostly true of TV shows. Of course now with computers taking over the role of cels in animation, most recent shows have had very good animation compared to the past.

Wow, talk about perfect timing. I was wondering last night if Batman: TAS was ever going to be released to DVD. I mean, Punky Brewster got released to DVD before this did, which is an atrocity, but I digress...

I remember running to the TV after school to catch Batman on WB, and that was the best cartoon series out there. The writting was for mature audiances, the animation was head and shoulders above anything else out at the time, and Batman was shown in more depth and detail that the movies ever have or ever could show.

Here's my favorite eps. of btas

The cape and cowl conspiracy.

A new criminal in town, Wormwood is hired to carry out a most unusual job for one "Baron" Waclaw Jozek to acquire Batman's cape and cowl for him. Wormwood is intrigued by this challenge and sets about trying to capture Batman with numerous lethal traps and deadly situations in hopes of forcing him to surrender his cape and cowl only to find that Batman isn't too bad at traps himself

Almost got him.

The Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, and Killer Croc play cards and tell stories about the time each one almost got Batman. At the end Catwoman has her own story to tell.

Never Fear

The Scarecrow, with a fearsome new look, is using a new gas that makes people unafraid. Things get out of control when Batman is exposed to it. This is one of the best episodes that show Batman's Dark side.

Knight Time

After Bruce Wayne is missing, Superman must go undercover as Batman to find him and fill in his shoes. Not quite a BTAS but a Superman one. It's still a favorite though. Especially when Superman with a Batman quise goes after Bane, Mad Hatter, Riddler and Penguin

Slightly off topic:

Every Batman movie has a cowl with open eye holes though in the comics and the animated show Batman always has white eyes. I guess they want to portray emotion behind the mask but it just doesn't look right to me. I'm wondering what effect a white eyed cowl would look like in the movies.

I wonder when they're gonna release Spiderman: The Animated Series (also from the mid 90's when it was on FOX)? :blink:

That'll be SWEET if they do. Finally, Batman TAS on DVD!!! Been waiting for that.

Batman TAS had THE best characterization of Batman that I have ever seen, comics included. Batman is the ultimate control freak, and it's only in TAS that that is shown properly.

Most shows and movies show it as Bruce Wayne that puts on a batsuit and goes about at night, with Batman being the lesser of his two sides.

TAS shows it as Batman is the one who wears the costume and goes out during the day, and it's Bruce that is the lesser of the two.

The latter is my favourite definition of Batman, bar none.

I'm wondering what effect a white eyed cowl would look like in the movies.

Probably make the actor blind... :p

Slightly off topic:

Every Batman movie has a cowl with open eye holes though in the comics and the animated show Batman always has white eyes. I guess they want to portray emotion behind the mask but it just doesn't look right to me. I'm wondering what effect a white eyed cowl would look like in the movies.

I was just wondering about this... saw Daredevil over the weekend, and I couldn't help but notice that the eyes on Daredevil's cowl are covered with... something. I thought it *might* be interesting to see how Batman would look if they did the cowl like that.

TAS shows it as Batman is the one who wears the costume and goes out during the day, and it's Bruce that is the lesser of the two.

Yeah, Batman Beyond clearly shows this when everyone thinks that old Bruce is going crazy with voices in his head. Of course, even as Bruce Wayne, he calls himself Batman and not Bruce so he knew he wasn't crazy.