Spider-Man 2 review! (spoiler free)

For those who are going to see the movie.

There's a scene with "Raindrops is falling on my head" being played and Parker is struting around town enjoying himself when the camera captures him in a freeze frame.

Yell out this: "Mentos The Fresh Maker!!"

:D

Edited by Briareos

just saw it...definitely better n the first (but I'm a huge doc ock fan).

I don't think they'll just have the green goblin for number 3 though...maybe a couple a bad guys. Spidey has too many cool enemies to have the GG as the bad guy twice...maybe they'll throw in hobs or something. Rhino'll have to make an appearance at some time too.

I'm callin venom for number 4. Spidey'll need the symbiote in number 3 to beat the 2 gobs...or not...

Biel in anything Marvel = No. Come on. She doesn't fit any of the roles you guys have come up with. She's not all that.

As for Venom, don't count it out. They aren't going to pick up some Stuper-Villians like The Shocker or (laf) Kraven forthe 3rd movie, and if they do, it'll be as bad as Potter 3: The Return of a Hack Director with all the Wrong Visions.

If you've seen 2 already, then you already know what's on it's way.

Biel....Kraven....feh.

Stan Lee wasn't in X2 or the blade movies.  He didn't create Blade.  It's great he's getting some love.  Alot of the original creators were dicked in regards to royalties and creator control.

True and I don't think Stan Lee was in the Punisher either. Personally, I think with Dr. Connors in two scenes of Spider-man 2, the Lizard might be the next movie villian.

For those who are going to see the movie.

There's a scene with "Raindrops is falling on my head" being played and Parker is  struting around town enjoying himself when the camera captures him in a freeze frame. 

Yell out this: "Mentos The Fresh Maker!!"

:D

You're that guy? I hate that guy.

Also to add -

All the Venom/Carnage/Symbiote talk... you guys are aware that Spidey was around for about 20+ years of great comics before those stories?

In that time Spidey took on tons of interesting bad guys - Mysterio, Vulture, Lizard, Scorpion, Sandman, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Rhino, Kraven, Electro, and about 8 billion others.

If they can make Doc Ock that cool, then they can really do just for fine for a looooooong time without doing all the symbiote crap.

Edited by Blaine23

Seen it yesterday and I must say it was great. What got me excited was when Stan Lee made a suprise cameo appearance in this movie during the Doc Oc rampage. I predict a Green Goblin return on 3, lizard on 4, and venom in 5?? If that's the case, what about shocker, rhino, and that other guy that I can't quite remember who can hunt Spidey with just his scent.

My GF and I saw it last night with ewilen and his wife.

Awesome movie. The best superhero franchaise so far. I hope they don't screw it up by making too many or swaping out actors. IMO if Tobby or Kirsten can't do it, then forget it.

Holy crap the movie made 40.5 million on its first day...

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14432,00.html

Geez and that was a Wednesday! I can't imagine what the weekend sales are going to be like.

SOME SPOILERS:

I thought Spider-Man 2 was pretty good. Annoyed by the fact that Doc Ock takes a beating from Spidey, who was the strength to stop a speeding train, and is still unharmed. He should have been knocked out cold by one hit from Spidey.

I'd wager that 3 will be about the Green Goblin/Hobgoblin. The set up is too obvious. If Dunst wants to leave, even more so. Harry knows Peter's secret as well as the one he loves. Kill of MJ and you have a torn Peter, and not wory about Dunst in future movies. In essence, MJ will be an mesh of both comic MJ and Gwen.

vinnie

I thought Spider-Man 2 was pretty good. Annoyed by the fact that Doc Ock takes a beating from Spidey, who was the strength to stop a speeding train, and is still unharmed. He should have been knocked out cold by one hit from Spidey.

I wondered about that too...

My only reasoning would have to be that Doc Ock was given some sort of mental boost by the tentacles plugged directly into his spinal system. Basically, they could (theoretically) tell him to ignore pain if they have the capability to pretty much dominate his decision making abilities.

But that is an odd point. If you're gonna let Spidey take shots to the Doc's head, ya gotta explain about why he can take it.

Good point, Vin.

Another question would be... who in the hell doesn't know his secret identity by the movie? Aunt May? JJJ? Robbie Robertson? Bruce Campbell? :lol:

yeah, but in the comics, pete systematically beats the living poo out of his non-MetaHuman rogues and they still manage to come back around. Ex. The Vulture (who is and OLD MAN!!!), Mysterio, Shocker, hell, he even took on the Kingpin (who is a bad ass dude, for DD, but Kingpin is not a Meta). yeah, pete can smack Venom, Sandman, Electro, Carnage and Rhino all day and still not beat them, but he manages to do so anyways, so i guess it goes both ways. ;)

in regards to spidey stopping the train, you have to keep in mind that he had to throw out a few loads of webbing just to stop it, if you recall he couldnt do it with just 2 shots, he practically ripped off the outter molding, it was only after he realized he needed more webbing was then he was able to do it, he basically created an organic machine to triple his strength.....

not to complicate or think too much of the movie like anyone should religously :lol: , but that how he could do it.....

The title of this thread says "spoiler free"

Glad I saw the movie already... I would be pissed If I had read all this sh!t before seeing it..

Anyone who saw Spidey one and had any familiarity with the comics could correctly guess the probable villian for spidey 3. Its all there in the 1st movie. Kraven and Venom aren't that far fetched as supporting villlians in part 3. Again venom or carnage is a alien. There's a character in spidey 2 that has a possible motive (revenge) and opportunity (space) to become venom. Mind you it wouldn't be Eddie Brock, but its there if the creators want to run with it. Besides, Venom doesn't have to be alien. They could explain his abilities some other way, it wouldn't be the fisrt time. They changed the Hulk's origin somewhat in the movie, and wasn't Lady deathstrike supposed to be a cyborg and not a mutant (rhetorical?).

The next thread that is completely spoiler free will be the first spoiler free thread in the creation of mankind.

Edited by Golden Arms

The thing about Venom and the symbiotes is that they are by far the most popular villians Spider-Man ever faced, bar none.

I think it all ties in to the very personal motives driving Eddie and the suit; they want to beat on Spidey and nothing more. Nothing about money, power, fame, or whatnot. They just want to take Spidey, rip out his spine, flay the flesh from his bones, and feed homeless people with his remains.

While Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Electro, etc. all have history with Spider-Man, none of them were ever nearly popular as Venom is.

I just got back from seeing it and was going to mention how odd it was that Doc Ock didn't get his head crushed in with one punch. I never like that villian. In the cartoon/comic he looked like Moe from the Three Stoogies. I mean how scary is that? In this film I enjoyed him.

As for the 3rd the problem with the Vemon etc it's too out there. Alien snot that Spiderman rejects I mean come on. We have an audience accepting science experiments gone amonk lets not push it with alien snot.

My bet on the 3rd will involve the Green Goblin and the Hobgoblin. Harry will be the former and he'll get Astronaut Jameson to be the Hobgoblin. Think about it Astronaut guy dumped cause MJ loves a super hero. The fool will think he has to be one too and the Green Goblin will help him out.

My only reasoning would have to be that Doc Ock was given some sort of mental boost by the tentacles plugged directly into his spinal system. Basically, they could (theoretically) tell him to ignore pain if they have the capability to pretty much dominate his decision making abilities.

But that is an odd point. If you're gonna let Spidey take shots to the Doc's head, ya gotta explain about why he can take it.

Good point, Vin.

Another question would be... who in the hell doesn't know his secret identity by the movie? Aunt May? JJJ? Robbie Robertson? Bruce Campbell? :lol:

That's the thing though, you can ignore pain but you can't prevent damage. Like Roy said, Doc Ock should have a gaping hole in his head. Physically, his body is normal; only the tentacles are superpowered. By the way what is their power source??? Screw fusion power if Doc Ock can come up with that kind of battery for the tentacles!

I also hated the fact that everybody and their brother knows what Spider-Man looks like and therefore his identity. About the only person who doesn't know is JJJ. Seems like everyone else has gotten the hint.

Overall I still think it was a great movie. Must buy DVD.

vinnie

The simplest explanation for a lack of a headless Doc Ock is that Spider-man pulls his punches on regular humans (although you'd never be able to tell from the apparent full on swings he does in those battles). You have to remember that Spider-man is still the big softie Peter is under the mask and probably wouldn't hurt a fly if he could avoid it, particularly when it comes to a 'victim' like the movie Doc Ock who he also admires. Spidey's the type of guy who most likely would web to safety a crook he accidentally knocks off a rooftop.

saw it last night, thought it was much better than the first.

as for the doc oc battles... it's a comic book movie. seriously, just enjoy it for what it is... cause you know, brain powered mechanical limbs alone would have won him a nobel prize...

Edited by eugimon

IMHO they're setting up Spiderman 3 to feature the villians:

1. Hobgoblin and/or Lizard (Dr. Connors)

1. Hobgoblin and/or the Symbiote Suit (found by Jameson).

It'll probably take at least an hour to introduce the Symbiote Suit (much like they introduced Doc Ock so late into SM2). I hope they don't introduce Venom because that wouldn't give him enough screen time.

Great Movie, my guess why DocOck was not crushed by 1 punch.............it would have made the movie too short, got to have some fights.....right?

Seeing this makes me ponder the ?, WHY CAN THEY NOT MAKE A WELL ACTED STAR WARS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway IMHO, Spidey2 was kinda crap. They put in lots of cheap lame humour....tried to capture "Peter Parker's Curse" but didn't do it QUITE right IMHO. (wth is with that uncle ben in car dream?)

But "Go get 'em, Tiger!"..... ahh....classic!

Guess that means no venom in the next series eh?

I think the humor was very well placed.

It gives the movie a good balance of drama, humor and action. The "lame humor" captures the kind of funny stuff you find in the comic books, and is a welcome change from the somewhat near-serious tone of the first movie.

Spidey 2 was a great movie, but I felt like Doc OC was just [expensive] decor. IMO, it should have been titled Peter Parker: Spiderman 2. :rolleyes:

The thing about Venom and the symbiotes is that they are by far the most popular villians Spider-Man ever faced, bar none.

I think it all ties in to the very personal motives driving Eddie and the suit; they want to beat on Spidey and nothing more. Nothing about money, power, fame, or whatnot. They just want to take Spidey, rip out his spine, flay the flesh from his bones, and feed homeless people with his remains.

While Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Electro, etc. all have history with Spider-Man, none of them were ever nearly popular as Venom is.

Nah... it's just more recent popularity. Green Goblin and the rest of the gang were sorta popular for their time. Popular enough to stick around for about 40 years now. Kinda hard to argue with that.

Personally, I like Venom, but I think Carnage was completely unneeded and just cashing in on what was working. The original symbiote suit story arc was a great simply because it took a looooong time to build up and manifest, like all of Spidey's best tales.

If they ever did a Venom story, I'd much prefer it if it took at least a few films to go from being a weird spidey suit to being a villain.

Raimi's obviously a fan of the old skool Stan Lee/Ditko era. I doubt you'll be seeing any Venom anytime soon unless Marvel execs start using their pincers and blowtorches on him. But ya never know.

It's all about what era of the comic you were part of. Newer X-men fans think that Age of Apocolypse is the bomb, whereas older fogies like me know full well that AoA was just a crappy version of Days of Future Past.

Never forget that you're only a kid once and when you were a kid says alot about what you remember with rose colored glasses.

AoA blew. the Best new X-men Stuff was done by Grant Morrison. as far as old skool? Days of Future Past and Dark Pheonix. i hope Raimi stays old school. i don't want maximum clonage in the movies. that would be pointless. ;)

New X-men under morrison was a great ride... though the last arc, to me, was kinda flat and silvestri has lost his chops, some of that was pretty incoherrent.

But spidey under the B5 guy (sorry name escapes me and I'm too lazy to look it up) has been pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those arcs used for the last few spidey movies.

maximum clonage was a mess though... but some of spidey's web usage was a bit reminicent of ben riley though... hah.

I enjoyed Spider Man 2 a great deal. Very good job on it.

As for possible no Kirsten Dunst after the 3rd one, not really a huge deal (though she will be missed :( ) they can just replace her. They might pull a Gwen Stacy in #3 killing MJ off, and then introduce Gwen Stacy for an ironic reversal, but I think they'd just replace Dunst. They were set to go on without Toby Mcguire if necessary, there should be just as ready to swap Dunst out if they have to. With a good enough pay offer she may change her mind, so there's no need to rule her out yet.

When they do bring in Venom, which I really hope they do soon, I think they'll skip the alien part, and make it another Oscorp creation gone wrong. They could even use it in #3 along with hobgoblin easily with that simple origin. Then the next movie after Venom can go into carnage.

Now, assuming it's Hobgoblin for #3, think Harry will have the suit repainted to a gold tone? Just reusing the Green suit would be kind cheesy, so gold hue would be the way to go. Maybe mix some brown in there.

I do like Blaine's idea about using at least one movie with the black spidey, before finding out the symbiote is a bad thing. Let him spend some time really using it to his advantage. A part of the following movie would be getting used to being without it while fighting venom. They also still need to introduce Harry, and it would be good to establish him as a problem already before they give him the symbiote.

This could even work for #3. Have the symbiote while Black Spidey fights hobgoblin, and then deals with Venom for #4 after getting the symbiote off.

As for not knocking out Doc Oc, movie magic. I'll leave it at that and use suspension of disbelief. It was like that in the comic too, so no big deal.

BTW, I loved the classic Sam Raimi styling in the hospital as the doctors had their "accidents."

I'd love to see a Spider-Man movie with Venom! :D

Mmm, Brainsss....