Sin City - the movie

I don't know anything about the comic but the trailer sure got my attention. It looks pretty cool. I'm bored stiff with most movies these days so it's good to see something different come out.

The only thing that seemed cheesy was the whole co-director Quentin Taratino thing flashing on the screen. Seems like name dropping to me.

You mean like Tarantino's name attached to "Hero"? That was a name drop if I ever heard one.

The extent of Tarantino's involvement in Sin City is a little more than simply helping to distribute the thing, but I agree the name dropping is silly. Rodriguez and him are best of buddies and Rodriguez is a big technophile. In an attempt to "modernize" Tarantino's filmmaking methods, Rob invited him to shoot a scene on digital. No big deal really, but hell, whatever helps sell the film right?

From what I've read, Tarantino actually directed one of the short segments in film that break up the main stories. I'm guessing the marketing pups at Miramax decided to add to the trailers to get some extra oooomph. Can't really blame them for it, myself.

Essentially the movie sells itself with imagery and the spectacular cast... which is good because Sin City is primarily about style, not concept.

I can't wait to see this movie. Of course, I've been psyched to see this ever since I started the thread a billion years ago. :D

The noir aspect of the movie intrigues me; Miller's characters AND the backgrounds have a darkness to them that will hopefully translate well on the big screen. From what little I've seen, I'm excited to check it out!

I'm also not sold on the whole "Tarantino Cool" thing...I really don't think he lives up to the hype.

Ok fellow MWers, let me set the record straight about SIN CITY by Frank Miller. For those of you not familar with Frank Miller's work specifically with SIN CITY, Frank wanted to create a world turned upside down. Where goodness found within humans is hidden deep and evil clearly visible for all to see. I watched the film last night and I must write some my impressions down. Don't watch the film passively b/c the viewer is lulled by deceiving appearances and then throttled into the hard boiled world of SIN CITY. Shocks lurk around every corner and the heroes tales are simply put, highly entertaining.

SIN CITY is rated R for very specific reasons some of which include the mature content, graphic violence/gore, nudity/sexual situations, and extremely dark characters/stories depicted. This is not your typical fanboy/fangirl film and if you are on the fence about this film, do yourself a favor READ the trades first. Also SIN CITY is not representative of the comic genre nor should it be considered as such. This series had an extremely niche readership when it first started and it is very stylized in the storytelling and illustrations. To understand the film and series better, read THE BIG FAT KILL, A DAME TO KILL FOR, THAT YELLOW BASTARD, and the one that started it all in DHP, THE HARD GOODBYE. If you don't have the time or the monies, at least read this review instead. After reading the stories make an informed decision about the contents and scenes depicted. I implore you do NOT judge the film based solely on what you hear. Don't watch the film IF you think you might be offended and/or cannot stomach seeing a live action version of various important situations (you'll know which ones if you've read the books).

SIN CITY is not for the the faint of heart and especially young children. However, contrary to public option, the graphic violence and gore used within the film is not over the top nor was it a gimmick (that would be the Matrix). Specifically, each scene depicting violence/gore serves a purpose to illustrate not only the resolution of situations in this harsh world, but also the mental state of the characters. Sure the average view won't think what IS the perspective of Marv/Hartigan/Dwight character, however it really helps if you are mindful of it as it is revealed. IMO the gore was very tastefully done, it was sprinkled lightly and used only in certain key situations. These situations are depicted with considerable accuracy from the four stories, they were not exaggerated at all.

This film brings to life with great accuracy, the hard boiled world Frank Miller created. It shows with absolutely visually stunning cinematography, the rich details used in the creation of first trilogy of SIN CITY stories. The film weaves three interlocking stories that are not typical linear narratives, nor do they follow a circular narrative either. It interestingly enough uses both of these types of narrative from three primary perspectives. Gentle viewers are introduced to the innermost thoughts, lifestyle, and the dark tales of three of the main protagonists in the film from the three original SIN CITY stories respectively. Here we are introduced to our "heroes": John Hartigan (Bruce Willis) from THAT YELLOW BASTARD, Dwight (Clive Owen) from A DAME TO KILL FOR & THE BIG FAT KILL, and lastly Marv (Mickey Rourke) from A DAME TO KILL FOR & THE HARD GOODBYE. I won't discuss the specific stories or break them down b/c they follow the three stories with slight editing, take the time to read them and you'll appreciate the film more. I certainly do not want to ruin this film for anyone. :p

I had my reservations about the film mainly b/c I've read the books when they first came out and they were not popular. The comics initially did not gain a large following, despite Franks reputation. As such, I was worried that by using three stories not only would they not mesh nicely, I was concerned they would be hard for the average viewer to follow. I am proud to say that my worries were relieved and IMO the flow of the entire film was excellent! I applaud the efforts of everyone who worked on the film. :) The entire casting for this film was superb. The acting/voices all around were great! So was the makeup, stunts, and the visual effects that paid homage to film noir. I wish to add, Hartigan, then Marv and then Dwights' tales in that order were my favorites. Dwights tale would've been better but they edited out the a good portion out of A DAME TO KILL FOR. Marv was well MARV! And Hartigans tale is heartwretching, impressively inspirational and proper. Lastly, and perhaps the most important IMO was the screenplay of the film by someone other than Frank. Thankfully the film remained extremely faithful to Frank's work and simply put, IMO this is the BEST film adaption of any comic to date! A MUST SEE FOR ALL MATURE FANBOYS AND FANGIRLS! :D

PS to all... take the time to read Frank's classic reinvention of Daredevil in the Visionaries trades and his reinvention of the old retired Batman in the classic THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS!! You can thank me later. :)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Oh as for Quentin's contribution, it was mainly with the car scene between Dwight and Jackie Boy. There will be 16 minutes of extended footage showing impromptu performances on the dvd that was not included in the film. Should be worth watching what was left on the cutting room floor.

Personally I didn't find Alba's dancing quite as seductive of entertaining as I hoped. I think the costume did not help. Don't get me wrong I didn't need to see he nude or topless, but the cowboy pants really concealed far too much of her movements and the flow of her dance. Just my two cents and relatively speaking her character Nancy really played a small role.

Lastly, something I just remembered the film did not touch upon or establish was the fact Dwight and Marv were tight. Those two made an awesome team, reference A DAME TO KILL FOR and this adventure happened before Dwights surgery and appearance in Old Town shown in the movie. B))

Very nicely put, Fortess...Thanks! I will be seeing this film on Saturday morning, so I'll be sure to add my two cents then.

I would also like to point out that Miller's Daredevil was the best I have ever seen or read! The Hand story arcs were very entertaining...Stick was "Yoda-esque" in a blunt, trucker-sort-of-way! The Dark Knight Returns was great, and his Batman: Year One was outstanding...

Thanks for the preview FM. Though to be honest, my understanding of the film and expectations have been well in line with the subject matter and content for over a year now. Nonetheless, the average movie-goer will not be as well informed as myself (since I'm a film geek) so I hope other members take your words to heart.

I actually read the Miller runs on Daredevil and TDKR many years ago. To this day, I still own many of the old Frank Miller comics. He was one of the best writers. Along with J. Micheal Straczynski, Alan Moore, and a few cherished others, Miller formed the core of my appreciation for comic books above the tired, cliched fare that pervades most of the industry. I hope more such true adaptations are attempted as a result of this flick.

If it's good of course. Must remember to reserve judegment until I see it... :)

Heh... "psychedelic" is a word I'd never, ever associate with Sin City.

Except maybe "To Hell and Back" which is not a part of this movie, near as I can tell.

Gritty, bloody, stark, dark - these are good words for SC.

It was obvious from the first teaser shots that the film is probably the closest comic-book-to-live-action adaptation ever made (story boards aside). What I find more extraordinary than the accuracy of the adaptation is the fact that most of these frames from the comic book function so remarkably well in film. Not all drawn frames translate well to film unless they are specifically drawn as story boards and mattes. Sin City almost seems made for film, since the frames appear so well as motion pcitures.

Tomorrow at noon can't come fast enough :)

I'm all a-quiver about this film. Finished reading books 1-5 last night(loved it) and that panel-to-film comparison was really great. If this movie matches the hype that's been surrounding it I'm so going to buy this on DVD too. :ph34r:

Of course it's not because of Nancy Callaghan. She's just a bonus. :lol:

Just got back from the noon showing for Sin City.

I must say, this film really worked for me. I'm not really a fan of Robert Rodriguez, counting only El Mariachi and Desperado as films I enjoyed of his work to date. Nor do I enjoy Tarantino or other over-the-top violence directors. But for some reason, Sin City offers such a stylized, vivid story of the bad gone worse that I can't help but enjoy it. The stories are tight, the characters are well developed, and the entire package manages to come together nicely at the end, despite the seperate narratives. Best of all, the film maintains a common theme in the stories, consistant mood amoung the characters, and the visual aspect of the film remains fully grounded in the fictional setting. Without doubt, the film is a visual feast built upon a cohesive structure.

Having read only the original Sin City graphic novel, I didn't know what to expect from the other stories. I came out of the theatre enjoying the performances of almost every character (my personal favorite was Willis' Hartigan). The film feels closest in style and appearance to old 40's noir films. The digital work feels both surreal because it is digital and physical like the old style sets and backdrops used in films of eras past. Modern merges with the old and creates an almost comic sense of drama, but the melodrama never overtakes the characters or the stories. Helping this is a high dose of modern action and blood. The movie is definitely not for the faint of heart. I came out of the theatre almost physically exhausted from the unending onslaught of action and visceral depictions. I knew exactly to whom I would recommend this film...and certainly who would never see it.

If you enjoy other action flicks by Robert Rodriguez, Tarantino, and the like, this film is certainly for you. Those who don't chase after such fare might not enjoy Sin City, but the film noir nostaligia and visual impact may grab hold of film buffs (like myself) and take you on one hell of a ride. Overall, Sin City is a rough, exciting, and revolting ride of revenge and street justice played out in a digital noir style. Be prepared for something really different.

Edited by Mr March

I heard Mickey Rourke stole the film as Marv. I can't wait to see it this weekend. Rodriguez and Miller were here in Austin for the premiere of the film Thursday night.

Mr March, are you a professional writer? That was a great review. Hopefully, my gf won't complain too much when I drag her to go see this movie. :lol:

Amateur writer and photographer. I hope one day I'll get enough education on my resume and enough skill behind the page/camera to do either as a full time career. I'm also a huge follower of film, which I often critique (last count was somewhere over a thousand films viewed). Thanks for the kind words...you too JKeats

Oy vey!!

THE BRUTALITY

THE HIPNESS

THE VIEW OF JESSICA ALBA AS A COWGIRL!!!!

Heh, I just came from seeing the movie and they did a great job at adapting Frank Miller's work. The cameo by Mr Miller was a nice touch. The guys are badass to the extreme, the girls redefine what sexy is. Towards the end it did feel like it dragged but the end was good.

overall a great ride.

Let's see if Mr Miller mentions to the hollywood types the little known fact of a story he had regarding the Dark Knight's return to crimefighting!

;):lol:

I started out loathing this movie. The scenes with Josh Harnett and also the beginning scenes between Willis and Madsen were awful. It felt like they were reading cue cards on Sat Night Live. These must have been the test shots they showed Miller to convince him to allow them to shoot the movie.

The ride didn't start for me until Mickey Rourke and Carla Gugino (who BTW was :blink::blink::blink: ) were on screen. I think Mickey Rourke stole the show. I'm glad they used him because he's such a washed up actor that was once awesome back in the 80s. All the leads turned out perfectly. That was really Dwight, Marv and Hartigan up there... freakin awesome...