Part 2

1 VF-1 2NV

So I take it that they didn't change the box art to reflect the characters in series 2? I guess that's ok. I'll still buy em anyway. :p:D:lol:

Don't think I'll be buying a set after all. Doesn't spark my intertest enough to hunt for them.

Hobby Search had them in stock if anyone was interested.

Edited by Anubis

I missed part 1, my decision of getting part 2 depends on whether I'm able to get a set of part 1. It's kinda suck only having half the set.

I heard from the owner of toy shop I used go to that the re-issue of part 1 will be repainted to different colour. Is it true? I can't imgaine Minmay's dress or Hikaru's uniform in another other colour.

The secret chase figure is just outragous, too expensive.

Unless it come with my box, otherwise I'll give a pass on it.

If it indeed come with my box, I may consider selling it away,

easy profit.

What actually makes the price so high? I bet all the retailers will jack the price up reflecting the demand wich is not fair because the item has just been released. Why cant it be $40 per box just like the last one? I hope TM and VE have good prices on these.

Just got my set. I felt that Roy is way too tall and what sort of pose is Sara doing ? Do not remember any of her pose like that in the anime. It looks like Sara is doing an Egyptian dance :D ! All the other pieces are great especially the VF-1 cockpit, it is Hikaru as the pilot as his name is written outside the cockpit. My local vendor is selling all the pieces except for the minmay variant colour . Not sure why is this so, and my local vendor thought there is no variant colour for minmay. Anyone has an explaination for this ?

I got my set today with the rare figure.....for US45.

My Misa's face on the left has a paint smudge. Have yet to scrutinise the rest but they look fine.

Beh....now I need the CM 1.

My local vendor is selling all the pieces except for the minmay variant colour .  Not sure why is this so, and my local vendor thought there is no variant colour for minmay.  Anyone has an explaination for this ?

Your vendor probably just hasn't seen the Minmay variant yet. She comes in a normal-colored version and a second version in which she is painted in lighter colors. Apparently, the lighter colors are to emulate one of Haruhiko Mikimoto's painted illustrations of Minmay in that scene.

"Portrait" Minmay

Normal Minmay

I'm pretty sure that the Hikaru cockpit diorama is still the "rare" figure though.

Edited by Drad

With all this talk about the 2nd series costing so much. I might end up selling my 1st set (Clear) if I can't find the new ones under $60 (for a set of five). :ph34r:

My local vendor is selling all the pieces except for the minmay variant colour .  Not sure why is this so, and my local vendor thought there is no variant colour for minmay.  Anyone has an explaination for this ?

Your vendor probably just hasn't seen the Minmay variant yet. She comes in a normal-colored version and a second version in which she is painted in lighter colors. Apparently, the lighter colors are to emulate one of Haruhiko Mikimoto's painted illustrations of Minmay in that scene.

"Portrait" Minmay

Normal Minmay

I'm pretty sure that the Hikaru cockpit diorama is still the "rare" figure though.

Actually, if you look at the box art, the portrait minmay is the normal basic set, and the normal minmay is the variant.

Despite what everyone says, I love the Roy sculpt. But mine has paint smudges on his boot and his shoulder pads have a light air brush on it which looks like super glue fogging. WTF.....

And one of Misa's curls seem to have paint chipping and makes it look like an ugly smudge...but other than that, this set is cool. But....i really want the 1st set. Basara looks lonely without Mylene strapped to his back.

:(

"Portrait" Minmay

Normal Minmay

actually, the illustration version is the NORMAL one,

the un-paint hair one is a "clear hair "version,

note that the clear hair set is not much people want....

"Portrait" Minmay

Normal Minmay

Actually, if you look at the box art, the portrait minmay is the normal basic set, and the normal minmay is the variant.

Despite what everyone says, I love the Roy sculpt. But mine has paint smudges on his boot and his shoulder pads have a light air brush on it which looks like super glue fogging. WTF.....

And one of Misa's curls seem to have paint chipping and makes it look like an ugly smudge...but other than that, this set is cool. But....i really want the 1st set. Basara looks lonely without Mylene strapped to his back.

:(

If you buy the whole box set, you will either get "Dark Blue" Minmay or the Hikaru cockpit.

RTHK is right.

The Dark Blue Hair Minmay is the 2nd chase figure. I saw the cockpit alone for 30 bucks and portrait Minmay for ~ 16-18. I might actually go back and buy Minmay alone again since that is the BEST figure out of the lot, with the cockpit a close second IMO.

I also just picked up the COMPLETE set of 11 figures for 85! I don't know where the heck you guys find sets for 40 - 50 cuz you should jump on them ASAP.

If anyone needs a few loose ones, I have a few extras. Mostly Sara. I will post it in the for sale forum later after I snap pictures. Now if I can only find a complete set of #1. Sigh...

Now that you've mentioned loose ones, I'm kinda *(@!&*( pissed at myself for letting go a US 45 CM 1 with Minmay doll by only a week at a local store. It was expensive for its price when it 1s came out, but Now that I've checked Ebay prices, its actually cheap considering a minmay doll costs about the same price.

So, I'm gonna ask if anybody has a basic Mylene and or Minmay extra that they are willing to let go. I don't really like the rest, but would like a set, but since I can't get any, I think i'll just go for the ones I really want, IE Mylene and Minmay. Anybody?

I've just got the part 2 set with the secret figure.

The overall finishing quality for the basic figures have deteriorated compared to part 1. The side splits on Misa's skirt are not sanded properly. Her red rank stripes are wrong. She's suppose to have 3 stripes like on her sleeves. Her eyes are suppose to be emerald green; they painted them blue. <_<

Overall paint job for the rest of the figures are badly done up. The lines are not crisp and clean. Certain paints bleed into other areas for ALL the figures. WTF happened before the CMS' workers sat down and paint the figures? Too much coffee or too little? Was Planet Dance being played on loop in the background? I can understand it's hard to keep a steady hand when several of the workers suddenly grew crabs at the same time. :lol: But the Macross trading figures are larger than most average trading and gashapon figures so they have no excuse for such shoody work.

The only one which is nicely done up imo, is the cockpit diorama secret figure. But that alone, is not worth USD30 imo.

The other good thing about the part 2 set is, they allow certain figures to combine ie:- Mao can be attached to Sara's feet piece, and Mylene to Basara.

Of the whole of the part 2 regular figures lot, Basara seems to be the finest made - the likeness, pose, and he has the least paint job hiccup. So the bad paint and finishing problem must have been the coffee.

Oh, Basara with Mylene combined, shines the best in the lot with their dynamic poses - put Firebomber music (not Planet Dance) to full blast, and it will be like your personal concert show in the comfort of your home.

Edited by Beware of Blast

I've just got the part 2 set with the secret figure.

The overall finishing quality for the basic figures have deteriorated compared to part 1. The side splits on Misa's skirt are not sanded properly. Her red rank stripes are wrong. She's suppose to have 3 stripes like on her sleeves. Her eyes are suppose to be emerald green; they painted them blue. <_<

Overall paint job for the rest of the figures are badly done up. The lines are not crisp and clean. Certain paints bleed into other areas for ALL the figures. WTF happened before the CMS' workers sat down and paint the figures? Too much coffee or too little? Was Planet Dance being played on loop in the background? I can understand it's hard to keep a steady hand when several of the workers suddenly grew crabs at the same time. :lol: But the Macross trading figures are larger than most average  trading and gashapon figures so they have no excuse for such shoody work.

The only one which is nicely done up imo, is the cockpit diorama secret figure. But that alone, is not worth USD30 imo. 

The other good thing about the part 2 set is, they allow certain figures to combine ie:- Mao can be attached to Sara's feet piece, and Mylene to Basara.

Of the whole of the part 2 regular figures lot, Basara seems to be the finest made - the likeness, pose, and he has the least paint job hiccup. So the bad paint and finishing problem must have been the coffee.

Oh, Basara with Mylene combined, shines the best in the lot with their dynamic poses - put Firebomber music (not Planet Dance) to full blast, and it will be like your personal concert show in the comfort of your home.

do you think these are being painted by profession painters or figure paint masters?

your review just made me buy a set of ebay. YOU OWE ME $40 :angry::D so I got the cockpit and a set for $70, I think thats ok.

do you think these are being painted by profession painters or figure paint masters?

For the money being charged, I'd like to think that the Macross trading figures are AT LEAST, painted by factory workers with some degree of training that could be passed for a decent attempt to mimic professional painters' work. Lousy suppliers perhaps?

I have collected quite an amount of trading kits from Kaiyodo & Movic, Kaiyodo, Bandai, Yamato and etc... for years, they are all mostly smaller size compared to the CMS Macross trading figs - the smaller, the harder to paint, I'm sure you know. When part 2 is compared to the others, I have to say, CMS current attempt for part 2 is the worse by far. And they are currently the most expensive; but the output DOES NOT reflect it.

your review just made me buy a set of ebay. YOU OWE ME $40  so I got the cockpit and a set for $70, I think thats ok.

No I don't owe you crap! :lol: I didn't charge you for this little review. But seriously, aside from the shoddy paint job, the sculpts are excellent. They truly captured Mikimoto's linearts to a tee. Enjoy your set man! B))

Edited by Beware of Blast

Im real anal about how I display my things.

TRANSFORMERS

G1...G2...Car Robots...PVCs, Binaltech

Macross...1/48..1/60 and the MPC ect. Everything in its own catigory.

My point is, I have a few other collection figures and now this is my first Macross set. Do you display all your collection figures together with Macross or the Macross set will be with your other Macross toys?

It hurts me to see collections with Mcfarlane, Transformers, WWF, X-Men and all other figures all mixed.

I display them strictly by their titles - Macross trading figs with the Yamato 1/48s, 1/60s, Bandai 1/55s and so on... I do so the same with the other stuff I collect. That way, I don't have to be a completist to have a sizeable collection. And the varying mix of characters with the mechas in different sizes, make the display more exciting to look at imo.

I've gotta agree with BoB, that the quality of the set 2 does seem worse. Even my wife who is not a Macross fan commented that they didn't look as good as set # 1 when we were looking at them in a shop window at the weekend.

Graham