Which Fast Pack is the most powerful?

REMINATOR

It's kind of a rigged question that you ask.

the GBP armor set obviously packs far more destructive power than the Super/Strike set.

I don't think the strike cannon is all that much better than the mini-missile pack, just a different form of firepower to bring to the fore. I'd say these two pretty much have the same amount of destructive power. The difference is in the payload delivery.

:unsure: If it was possible in space to make a fight between a Strike VF-1S fight against two pilots with equal abilities in a Armored VF-1S I bet the Strike VF-1S would win because the pilot would probably be able to evade or destroy all the missiles and use the equipment in the Strike FAST pack to disable the other one... of course it would need many skills to be able to avoid or destroy all missiles like in Macross Zero, D.D. avoided the missiles, Roy destroyed them.

I am not a tech head, but my assumptions have always been like this:

Guided rockets have always been a no-brainer to fire... computer locks a target and you hit the red button. This explains the standard FP.

The strike canons are given to officers only because the canons actually have to be targeted. You can probably do more damage with the canon than just the guided rockets, but you also have to pay more attention to what you are doing.

GPB isn't a FAST Pack, its a GPB.

I'd have to go with the GBP, myself. The range of those missles would easy outclass any range on the Strike cannon, plus the sheer number of missles would make most enemy pilots cringe.

Pfft. Stampeed. AKA: Definitive proof of how munchkinly Gundam the Macross mecha are becoming.

:):) Yeah, I do tend to lean with the GBP armor as well. Not only the GBP have more missiles, but the Valk is also more protected. I guess I'm unsure with the Strike because of the upper edge in cannon and the speed.

Man, I am praying Yamato release a 1/48 GBP. The 1/60 looks too damn delicious.

25350_s0.jpg

I've always figured the strike cannon is useful for larger targets, such as Quel-quallies and taking shots at capitol ships. For taking out squads of regults missles may be easier in general, but the close range power of the strike cannon could be useful in that sense as well, hence why when shown it's been a mix. Great mid-close range punch in that area. Both Stike Valks in DYRL had a cannon, and a missle pack, instead of just two strike cannons. A more useful spread of weapons. The GBP armore is just a walking weapons platform. Take away the transformation ability for the ability to destroy some targets quick.

The VF-11C's full armor had the best balance of both worlds. The blistering power of the armor, a huge cannon, and when the armor wasn't necessary and speed would be preferred, the armor could be jettisoned, and normal fast packs remain. Best of both worlds. A very smart design.

REMINATOR Posted on Apr 26 2004, 06:08 PM

Man, I am praying Yamato release a 1/48 GBP. The 1/60 looks too damn delicious

From your lips to GOD's ears, man!! And I totally agree 'bout the 1/60 GBP, that's just a thing of beauty!! Can't wait to have mine! :D:)

From your lips to GOD's ears, man!! And I totally agree 'bout the 1/60 GBP, that's just a thing of beauty!! Can't wait to have mine! :D:)

Unlike everyone else, i'm not too fond of the sculpt of the 1/60 GBP. It looks too blocky-plastic-toy to me.....

What I will be dreaming of, which is less likely to happen than a 1/48 GBP is a 1/48 Armored Gerwalk armor....omg....if so, I can die happy....that is assuming the YF-19FP comes out as well.... :lol:

:):) Just curious, has anyone or Grapham contact Yamato regarding the 1/48 GBP? I must have that 1/48 GBP :D:D

For my money, I'd go with the FAST Pack over the GBP Armor. The GBP is a wannabe Destroid. I'd fly circles around it until it shoots off all of it's missiles. :)

Option of Shinnakasu Heavy Industry GBP-1S ground-combat protector weapon system with fifty-six 28-cm-diameter Erlikon GH-32 Grenade Crusher high manoeuvrability micro-missiles (twenty-two mounted in two shoulder launchers, ten mounted in two chest launchers, sixteen mounted in side leg launchers, and eight mounted in rear leg launchers), eighteen Erlikon GA-100 Crusher high-speed armor-penetrating projectiles mounted in two lower arm launchers, and six Ramington H-22T large hand grenades mounted on torso; or Shinnakasu Heavy Industry FAST Pack augmentative space weapon system (UNS codename: Booby Duck) with six micro-missiles in two NP-AR-01 micro-missile launcher pods (mounted rearwardly under center ventral section in Fighter mode or on lower arm sections in GERWALK and Battroid mode), and two HMMP-02 micro-missile launcher pods. The HMMP-02 pod can be replaced by the optional Mauler RO-X2A high-powered double-action beam cannon pod (mounted on dorsal section).

source: Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1 Valkyrie

AFAIK, the number of shots the strike cannon holds has never been officially specified. IIRC, the Macross PS2 game gives you 30 shots from the strike cannon. I forget what the PC game 'Macross VO' gives for the strike cannon, but anyway game figures should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Yamato 1/48 FAST Pack toy holds 20 micro-missile per missile nacelle. So assuming the toy is accurate, that means a Super Valk, with two missile nacelles fitted to the back FAST packs holds 40 micro-missiles. And of course, there are another six slightly larger micro-missiles in the arm FAST Packs (3-per arm pack). If you add four UMM-7 micro-missile pods to the wings, you get another 60 micro-missiles (15 missiles per pod), for a grand total of 106 micro-missiles maximum for a fully loaded Super Valkyrie!

As for the amount of missiles that can be fired in a single salvo. I believe this has never been officially specified either. I presume a Valk pilot can select between a minimum and maximum amount to be fired per salvo.

Going with the fully-loaded Super Valk example mentioned above, I would imagine maximum single-salvo amounts for a Super Valk carrying 4 x UMM7 pods would be: -

1st salvo = 32 micro-missiles.

2nd salvo = 30 micro-misiles.

3rd Salvo = 28 micro-missiles.

4th salvo = 8 micro missiles.

5th salvo = 8 micro-missiles.

EMPTY

In the first salvo, the Super Valk would fire 4 missiles from each of the back FPs (there are 4 ports per FP) for 8 missiles, 5 missiles per UMM-7 for 20 missiles and the front 2 missiles from both arm FPs for 4 missiles.

The second salvo would be nearly the same as the first, except that there is now only 1 missile remaining in each arm FP.

The third salvo would see the final 20 missiles firing from the UMM-7s and 8 more from the back FPs, the arm FPs being already emptied during the second salvo.

The fourth and fifth maximum fire salvos would see only the back FPs launching 8 missile each salvo as the UMM-7s were emptied already during the third salvo.

Of course, the above assumption may be incorrect as during fighter mode, the micro-missiles in the arm FPs and the rearmost 5 micro-missiles in each UMM-7 pod actually point backwards, so these may be specifically for rear defence only.

Graham

Pfft.  Stampeed.  AKA: Definitive proof of how munchkinly Gundam the Macross mecha are becoming.

This is an old design, created specifically for a videogame.

I have Macross Design Works, and lots of Valkyries started with a gun twice the size of the arm (I am not kidding, really) and shoulder cannons. Then Kawamori remove all of them. He was just having fun.

FV

AFAIK, the number of shots the strike cannon holds has never been officially specified. IIRC, the Macross PS2 game gives you 30 shots from the strike cannon. I forget what the PC game 'Macross VO' gives for the strike cannon, but anyway game figures should be taken with a grain of salt.

I always assumed that the strike cannon was a laser that was tapping directly into the nuclear power plant of the valkryie. So, if that were the case, wouldn't the capacity of the strike cannon be effectively unlimited? Or am I making (numerous) bad assumptions?

I get the feeling the answer has been explained before. . . but since we're talking about strike cannon capacity I thought I'd ask.

H

Maybe not going for sheer number of missiles... but rather their type and capibility.... don't for get this VF-1 option:

Micro Missile Launcher System

http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat/vari/mmls.html

if you added four UUM-7 launcher pods along with the NP-AR-01 arm part launchers, that would be.... a total of 122 missiles

I won't get into the unofficial weapon loadouts hehe.... ^^;;

So if fitted with the clamshell type opening back and leg FAST packs from the VF-X game as shown by Nanashi and also carrying 4 x UMM-7 pods on the wings and regular arm FAST packs, the VF-1 with a total of 122 missiles could theoretically unload it's entire missile load in three salvos as follows: -

1st salvo = a whopping 80 missiles! (all 16 missiles from both back FPs + all 40 missiles from both leg FPs + 4 missiles from the arm FPs + 20 missiles from the 4 UMM-7 pods)

2nd salvo = 22 missiles (the remaining 2 missiles from the arm FPs + 20 more missiles from the UMM-7 pods)

3rd salvo = 20 missiles (the final 20 missiles from the 4 x UMM-7 pods).

By comparison a VF-1 fitted with the GBP-1S armour could single salvo a maximum of 64 missiles + grenades in the first salvo. The second salvo would be 8, the third salvo 8 and then empty. Breakdown as follows: -

1st Salvo: All 22 missiles in the shoulders + all 10 missiles in the chest +all 16 missiles in the side leg launchers + all 8 missiles in the rear legs + 6 missiles from the forearms (3 left & 3 right) + 2 x hand grenades (assuming one thrown with each hand = total 64.

2nd Salvo = The second set of 6 missiles from the left and right forearms (remember each forearm stores 9 missiles) + 2 more hand grenades thrown with the left and right hand.

3rd Salvo = The third and final set of 6 missiles from the left and right forearms ) + the final 2 hand greanades thrown with the left and right hand.

EMPTY.

Graham

So if we stick with just the VF-1, not including other VFs, here's the maximum single salvo missile strength possible (assuming 4 x UMM-7 pods carried on all but the GBP).

Note, this is not the total number of missiles carried, just the maximum theoretical largest single missile salvo possible using my formula (which I admit may be incorrect ) :D

VF-1 Super = 32 missiles.

VF-1 Strike = 28 missiles.

VF-1 w/GPB-1S = 64 missiles+ grenades.

VF-1 w/VF-X FPs = 80 missiles.

Not that I think it's really a good idea to use up all you missiles in so few salvos. A bit of overkill really. Probably smaller salvos of 4-6 micro-missiles per target are much less wasteful

Graham

So if we stick with just the VF-1, not including other VFs, here's the maximum single salvo missile strength possible (assuming 4 x UMM-7 pods carried on all but the GBP).

Note, this is not the total number of missiles carried, just the maximum theoretical largest single missile salvo possible using my formula (which I admit may be incorrect )  :D

Not that I think it's really a good idea to use up all you missiles in so few salvos. A bit of overkill really. Probably smaller salvos of 4-6 micro-missiles per target are much less wasteful

Graham

With the VF-1 w/VF-X FPs, couldn't you have the single salvo have missles aimed at multiple targets, all at once? (If that made any sense.) So it wouldn't be all that wastefull...?

Edited by Oihan

Easy.

Stampeed

I thought I was looking at an overturned Glauug strapped to the back of a VF-1..... :lol:

but do the guns light up? The fun you can have reusing old toys for bad reasons. I does kinda remind me of the glaug custom I'm working on... though it needs more guns :rolleyes:

Note, this is not the total number of missiles carried, just the maximum theoretical largest single missile salvo possible using my formula (which I admit may be incorrect )  :D

Graham

With the VF-1 w/VF-X FPs, couldn't you have the single salvo have missles aimed at multiple targets, all at once? (If that made any sense.) So it wouldn't be all that wastefull...?

This of course assumes you make it alive to the 2nd and 3rd salvo. The casualty numbers looked pretty damn bad, regardless.

That's true, we already know from the opening fight in DYRL that the VF-1's radar is capable of tracking and locking onto multiple targets.

Graham

I imagine the strike cannon (which I believed is referred as a "particle beam" or some such) is used like the M203 40mm grenade launcher is for the M16. IT's not used as an ueber/munchkin-powered super-weapon. It's used to mark targets so that the squad can see what the leader wants to designate as a target and what not.

The VF-1 should have other means of doing so... but this would work nicely too, I imagine and easier to see than referencing one of them multi-display things...

Actually, the strike cannon is a particle beam period. If you watched the last scene in DYRL where Hikaru's Strike VF-1S unloaded all of hell into Doza, you'll see his strike cannon hitting first with a long beam. It blew his head out along with peppered shots from the GU-11.

There is no need to target anything there at that time unless the micro missiles required target info.

If the strike cannon was used to target capitol ships EG Macross II VF-2SS, then I would say strenght wise, the Strike VF-1S could blow a hole into a GBP-S VF-1S before all the missiles landed. Now, it also remains to be seen if the VF-1S can outfly that barrage of incoming micro missiles.

Which game was the stampede from anyways? It is listed in Design Works.

Edit - Grammar

Edited by Neova

Actually, the strike cannon is a particle beam period. If you watched the last scene in DYRL where Hikaru's Strike VF-1S unloaded all of hell into Doza, you'll see his strike cannon hitting first with a long beam. It blew his head out along with peppered shots from the GU-11.

There is no need to target anything there at that time unless the micro missiles required target info.

If the strike cannon was used to target capitol ships EG Macross II VF-2SS, then I would say strenght wise, the Strike VF-1S could blow a whole into a GBP-S VF-1S before all the missiles landed. Now, it also remains to be scene if the VF-1S can outfly that barrage of incoming micro missiles.

Which game was the stampede from anyways? It is listed in Design Works.

Actually, if the RO-X2A was a particle beam cannon-more than likely that would be stated as other Macross mecha which have particle beam weapons and their spec data states so (Tomahawk Destroid, Armored GERWALK development, Stampede Valkyre etc.). Though unofficial, MAT (Chiba, et. al.) has specified that the Strike Valkyrie's beam cannon uses heavy x-rays.