Should SDF: Macross be reanimated?

Jolly Rogers

Should SDF: Macross be reanimated?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should SDF: Macross be reanimated?

• Yes - this classic deserves to be seen by a new generation turned off by old style animation
    • No - keep the classic untouched, that applies to AnimeFriends footage too!

Fans of Mobile Suit Gundam often debated whether the original TV series should be re-animated to introduce younger fans raised on the new style anime who can't stomach the fugly old animation. What are your thoughts regarding reanimating SDF: Macross, HG legality issues aside?

I don't think it'll ever happen seeing as how Kawamori said Flashback 2012 was the last we'd see of the the SDF:M storyline.

But, if it WAS to be reanimated them I'm all for it. ABSO"FREAKING"LUTELY. ;)

Considering anime friend was involved in the production, and used their most half assed animators at that, it would definately benefit from being re-animated. Just as long as all the original audio is used (though some new Max & Milia scenes wouldn't hurt..., but only in addition to the original material).

As for M7, it was in no way shape or form recycled anything, 100% original Macross story.

It would be nice us to see it as the way Kawamori San wanted it to be with with DYRL animation style of the original scenes and including in animation of the VF-4, Hikaru and Misa's wedding and the lauching of the Megaroad...

... of course no Star Wars Special Edition way... that suck big time...

Voted no. If this were 1988-92 then i'd reconsider, but animation studios have lost their touch for highly detailed fully shaded art. Sometimes more is more....

I voted "yes". While I want the dialogue completely untouched (similar to Keith, only changes to add MORE). So long as there are no distortions in the story, I think it could benefit from today's technology.

I believe this argument is undertaken with the idea in mind that it would not take away from any macross developments that take place in the future...

Fans of Mobile Suit Gundam often debated whether the original TV series should be re-animated to introduce younger fans raised on the new style anime who can't stomach the fugly old animation. What are your thoughts regarding reanimating SDF: Macross, HG legality issues aside?

MSG reanimated? Gundam Seed is probably just that, added more teenage boy angst.

Macross reanimated? DYRL.

But if a reanimated TV series....why not? I'm all for it. It might turn out better. Or it might just become a reanimated corpse.......like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

As for M7, it was in no way shape or form recycled anything, 100% original Macross story.

I think he means the tons of recycled footage in the battle scenes and whatnot.

I kind of agree with that, I'd only be for it if the animation quality was better than M7. M7 did have more consistent animation than SDF Macross, but the battle scenes and a number of the backgrounds really suffered. It stayed pretty middle of the road, never being as good as SDF's best, and nowhere as bad as SDF's worst, in animation.

As for what extent? I'd kind of like a 'definitive' version of Space War One, made up of all the elements from both the tv series and movie that made their way into the sequels and prequels, and going all the way with DYRL?'s design elements.

I'd love that detailed 80's style cel shading, and a very DYRL?-esque feel to the whole show.

Still, that would leave a lot of room to tick off existing SDF Macross fans. Just reanimating everything to higher animation standards, and going with DYRL? designs, while sticking strictly to the original SDF storyline and even just using the existing audio would be the safest route to please everyone.

Still, not like it's going to happen. I'd be even happier with an altogether new tv series. I just wouldn't be opposed to a well done reanimated version of SDF.

Voted Yes, let's see Macross as it was originally planned in its 50+ eps. I wanna see the relationship between Max and Millia develop and not just the arcade challenge, fight to death in the park, marraige bit. Not that it wasn't cool.

I voted reanimated into Macross VFX quality at minimum. Macross Zero / Yukikazi CGI + cel drawing mix and anamorphic 16:9 wide screen format with DTS EX re-encoding but no fugging the script with all cut parts put back would be awesome. I'll drop some bills for that, even if its a R2 only releases.

And do the same for Flashback 2012 and include it as the extra disc this time! I don't want to pay the same price as DYRL DVD for 30 mins of music video.

I'd rather Big West release a new Macross TV series or OVA, rather than reanimate SDF Macross.

However, if it was to be reanimated with better art, I also think that the original voice, song and BGM soundtracks should be retained. Oh, and I'd also like more Minmay fan service as well...........lots more :p

Graham

I used to be a "no" type. But I've grown to loathe the AnimeFriend-heavy episodes so much that I'd be onboard with a re-animated one that (as others have said) retained the original voice and music recordings.

Though, really, I also wouldn't mind if they added more variety to Minmay's song repertoire.

H

I voted "no" earlier as well as I felt it was this one series that brought me into japanese animation. I would hate to see change in any other way but I would not mind adding new footages as long as the original goes uncut. They could extend the series up to the launch of Megaroad, the wedding of Hikaru and Misa, earth reconstruction.

Since we are at this topic, I wish they could do a sidestory for space war one with updated DYRL variable crafts, may it be a series or OVA. :(

I gave that a "no" vote. I'd rather it just be left alone. I'm reminded of recent "Special Editions" that certain directors thought would look better. See for example; Han Solo firing after Greedo shoots first (WTF!?), and All the FBI Agents in ET with walkie talkies instead of their weapons. <_<

I usually try to show the old TV episodes of Macross to some new audiences and most of the time they were turned off by the outdated and budget rate animation. Although I agree with the others and doubt that the TV series would be re animated I believe it would introduce a new crop of fresh fans for the franchise. The beautiful CG dogfights in M0 or Yukikaze would help a lot and possibly more character development for the other interesting characters such as Max, Kakizaki and Roy. Plus, as suggested by the other posters, tunes by Yoko Kanno and more Minmay songs would be nice too.

I honestly believe if Macross SDF was re-animated and turned into a new TV series (with only minor changes to the script) it would become quite popular to new generation of audience.

So I vote yes.

Edited by Tokyo Cab Driver

Yes but not at the cost of progressing the Macross universe. Imagine if Macross looked like Last Exile. That would get some heads to turn.

Keep the voice tracks if possible but rerecord(not change) the bgm music and Minmay's songs.

Don't get me wrong I love old anime but if there was a chance to reanimate the original I'd be all for it. And please don't hire the character designer of Macross Zero ;)

No waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay should it be reanimated.

It is fine the way it is bad animation and all, and besides if you like the show you should be able to look past the poor animation for what is important... The story. Now macross has a really cool story so if it were reanimated it would be uber cool, but when I watch the series I can't help but think wow those special effects were probably pretty cool back in the day. It's like watching an anime time capsule, this is where some of the greats got their start, and I think reanimating it would be a little like changing history.

Or maybe I'm taking this entirely too seriously :lol:

im all for re-animation so long as:

1: ORIGINAL model sheets and orthos are used. i want them to look the same, but animated well.

2: it MUST remain 2d. SDF: Macross is a 2D animation.

3: if possible, it should be reanimated, but use the same audio track as much as possible, IE: dump the video from the original show, keep the audio and simply re-animate the serise. some additions would be nice but only where ABSOLUTLY nessesary. like when minmay sings a new song, make sure its actually a "new" song :-)

this is what i'd like to see done. (i know it won't happen)

Edited by KingNor