complex transformations

e_jacob77

My question is how are the air intakes routed though the YF-21/VF-22, since the backpack has to separate slide upwards, and front intakes move as they do. Also, the air channel has to be different because legs are where the channels would traditionally be.

As far as transformation complexity, I'd say VF-14.

The VB-6 actually isn't all that complicated, it just looks like it. It transforms very logically.

Edited by Anubis

Actually, I don't know why any of the valks have air intakes at all, they fly just fine with them closed off. Mac 0 ep3 even has the VF propelling itself underwater, shooting out into the air, and flying away without a pause to switch.

BTW, if the VF-0 uses jet engines, how did it work underwater?

So the YF-21 / VF-22 air intake question can be answered like this: The air intakes are not connected to the engines in battroid mode, the backpack uses it's 'space propulsion' thrusters.

Actually, I don't know why any of the valks have air intakes at all, they fly just fine with them closed off. Mac 0 ep3 even has the VF propelling itself underwater, shooting out into the air, and flying away without a pause to switch.

So the YF-21 / VF-22 air intake question can be answered like this: The air intakes are not connected to the engines in battroid mode, the backpack uses it's 'space propulsion' thrusters.

The VF-0 engines, would probably operate underwater something akin to a propeller to a ship. The turbine blades would rotate, and push the water out the back. I don't know how efficient it would be though.

As for the VF-21/22, I think the engines are still connected to the intakes in Battroid mode. If you pay attention to the transformation sequence, the engines move upwards to condense the length of the fighter. The intakes are still somewhat closeby to the engines, and it's conceivable that the ducts are flexible to allow for the engines to operate in battroid mode.

The VF-0 engines, would probably operate underwater something akin to a propeller to a ship. The turbine blades would rotate, and push the water out the back. I don't know how efficient it would be though.

One would think that it would be simply the turbines being electrically powered and would work quite like the underwater robots with electric propellers. I'd think steering would be a b1tch though, and there is always the chance of getting an octopus stuck in an intake. :rolleyes:

A while ago we actually noticed that the VF-0 was using the little motors that are in the battroild's backpack. Since the 0's engines are conventional jet turbines, they wouldn't be able to operate under water.

In another thread it was noted Shin just swam moving legs and arms. Backpack's rockets, by the way, are chemical according to Compendium, so they don't need air.

FV

A while ago we actually noticed that the VF-0 was using the little motors that are in the battroild's backpack. Since the 0's engines are conventional jet turbines, they wouldn't be able to operate under water.

True, but considering that a Jet engine is mainly a propeller that's inside the body of the aircraft, it's not too much of a stretch to see that you could use a jet engine underwater... It's just that jets are optimized for moving air, not water.

Just came across this thread. Shin definitely used the backpack thrusters underwater.

This thread has screen captures to prove it.

Edit: VF-19, you're mistaken about how a jet works. A jet isn't mainly an enclosed propeller. But in the thread just referenced someone does give an idea as to how a jet engine could be used underwater. It just wouldn't be working the sameway as a jet does in the air.

Edited by ewilen

Between the -19 and the -21/-22, I'd have to say the -21/-22.

My problem with the -21/-22 is that even with the "Macross Distortion*", there is no way the legs are going to fit in the space provided in fighter mode.

The VF-4 is pretty screwy though, and the VF-9 has one of the goofiest set-ups for the arm transformation (which doesn't explain the arms in GERWALK mode at all).

*Kawamori's tendency to bending of the rules by altering sizes of different sections of the VF depending n which mode it's in.